Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

klem_johansen posted:

Any recommendations for catalog/e-commerce plug-ins for WordPress? I'm looking into Magneto Go as well as cheaper options like Shopper Press, & Shopp. Any thoughts? As for payment gateways, have you have good or bad experiences with any of them? I've used Authorize.net, and they've been OK.

WooCommerce is pretty popular. Authorize.net or Stripe (not technically a gateway) have been my goto choices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I have a client who's having some weird issues with a specific post (when you'd try to edit it, it would throwing errors when trying to load the revisions). In the course of troubleshooting the problem, I found that every single image in all of his posts are saved in the database as base64. I checked a couple of other WP sites I maintain and did not see the same thing.

Anyone know if this is normal and/or caused by a plugin? Whenever I see base64 I get paranoid and automatically assume something's been hacked, however I tested all the images out – they're the correct images... just encoded for some weird reason.

e: Hmmm actually it looks like only some of his images are in base64... images which he created. I wonder if he's copying and pasting them from some other program that's sticking them in his clipboard as base64?

kedo fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 18, 2013

-JS-
Jun 1, 2004

kedo posted:

e: Hmmm actually it looks like only some of his images are in base64... images which he created. I wonder if he's copying and pasting them from some other program that's sticking them in his clipboard as base64?

Inline images in the post? I've seen this happen (although not specifically on Wordpress) when you drag the image or copy/paste into the TinyMCE editor.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

-JS- posted:

Inline images in the post? I've seen this happen (although not specifically on Wordpress) when you drag the image or copy/paste into the TinyMCE editor.

Yeah, after discussing it with the client it sounds like that's it, although I think it might be the browser (Firefox) rather than TinyMCE?

Either way it's retarded and I need to figure out a way to disable it. This client's database is about a week old and is already up to 300MB since WP is basically duplicating every image he's inserted in the database every time it saves a revision. Oh god how will I sanitize and export this... :psyduck:

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Iirc there is a plugin that will let you delete images not associated with a post, maybe that will help shrink the size

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
kedo, can you post what plugins you are using?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I'm not using that many and out of all of 'em I think TinyMCE is probably the most obvious culprit.

Advanced Custom Fields
Contact Form 7
Formstack plugin
Jetpack
MailChimp
TinyMCE Advanced

However a bunch of forums / blog posts I've read all state that Firefox automatically converts images dropped in a textarea into base64, and I know for a fact the client is both using Firefox and dropping images into textareas, but I haven't found anything from Mozilla confirming it. However I sort of have a hard time believing it because it's so idiotic.

Also dragging and dropping an image into a textarea in Chrome just opens the image in the window... it doesn't put the image in the textarea, which leads me to believe it's probably browser related.

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
I want to set up a wordpress site where people can register as users and then access a private page which has a contact form. Once they fill in the contact form, I can add or subtract points from a secret field associated with that particular user - we'll call the field 'points'.

So, person registers as user Bob.

Bob logins and accesses a private page with the contact form. Bob fills the form out and submits it.

I review the submission and modify Bob's points by 10 (or whatever).

Bob can also access a private page with download links to various PDFs.

---

What's the best way to do this in Wordpress?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

kedo posted:

I'm not using that many and out of all of 'em I think TinyMCE is probably the most obvious culprit.

Advanced Custom Fields
Contact Form 7
Formstack plugin
Jetpack
MailChimp
TinyMCE Advanced

However a bunch of forums / blog posts I've read all state that Firefox automatically converts images dropped in a textarea into base64, and I know for a fact the client is both using Firefox and dropping images into textareas, but I haven't found anything from Mozilla confirming it. However I sort of have a hard time believing it because it's so idiotic.

Also dragging and dropping an image into a textarea in Chrome just opens the image in the window... it doesn't put the image in the textarea, which leads me to believe it's probably browser related.

Try disabling the TinyMCE Advanced plugin. I got rid of that a long time ago on all my sites. Not sure why I even installed it in the first place.

clockworkjoe posted:

I want to set up a wordpress site where people can register as users and then access a private page which has a contact form. Once they fill in the contact form, I can add or subtract points from a secret field associated with that particular user - we'll call the field 'points'.

So, person registers as user Bob.

Bob logins and accesses a private page with the contact form. Bob fills the form out and submits it.

I review the submission and modify Bob's points by 10 (or whatever).

Bob can also access a private page with download links to various PDFs.

---

What's the best way to do this in Wordpress?

Probably a combination of Gravity Forms, and Wishlist, which I use both:

http://member.wishlistproducts.com/
http://www.gravityforms.com/

I use gravity forms for all my login/signup stuff, then make restricted member only pages with Wishlist. Works pretty well. Downside is that you have to shell out for the license for both, but in my experience it is well worth it since hobbling together a free solution usually takes about my going rate in :effort:

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?

Gyshall posted:

Try disabling the TinyMCE Advanced plugin. I got rid of that a long time ago on all my sites. Not sure why I even installed it in the first place.

Probably a combination of Gravity Forms, and Wishlist, which I use both:

http://member.wishlistproducts.com/
http://www.gravityforms.com/

I use gravity forms for all my login/signup stuff, then make restricted member only pages with Wishlist. Works pretty well. Downside is that you have to shell out for the license for both, but in my experience it is well worth it since hobbling together a free solution usually takes about my going rate in :effort:

Thanks for the info! Would this plugin handle the custom field pretty well or is there a better plugin? http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/custom-metadata/

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
What's the best way to go about mobile themes?

I made a weird looking theme and of course it looks like poo poo on phones.

Is there a way to detect if someone's on a phone and load a whole different theme? Or would it be easier in the long run to just have one theme and modify it so it looks good on both?

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
There are a couple of plugins that will let you deliver a different theme to mobile devices, but in my experience they can be difficult to use since you can't (for example) set up a different widget configuration for the mobile theme, at least with the plugin I tried. I also had to edit the plugin code to make it stop treating desktop Opera as a mobile browser and some other problems, but there may be better plugins available now.

If you don't mind having a generic mobile site, Jetpack can be configured to detect mobile browsers and give them a mobile friendly theme. You can't customize it, though, at least not last time I checked.

[edit] In other words, it might be easier to try to create a responsive theme that looks okay on multiple browsers. It's not that hard to do with CSS using @media queries, although it does mean that your mobile version will still be loading most of the same assets (like big images) that the desktop site will.

Heresiarch fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 30, 2013

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
Thanks. I think I will bite the bullet and try using the @media thing. I've only ever seen it working in Twitter Bootstrap, so I think I'll have to use that as a basis and just keep copying stuff until it works.

Big images aren't a problem, the main challenge is going to be switching from a two-column desktop layout to a one-column phone layout.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

fuf posted:

Thanks. I think I will bite the bullet and try using the @media thing. I've only ever seen it working in Twitter Bootstrap, so I think I'll have to use that as a basis and just keep copying stuff until it works.

Big images aren't a problem, the main challenge is going to be switching from a two-column desktop layout to a one-column phone layout.

The term you want to be Googling is "responsive design".

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Yeah, fuf, try using a responsive, mobile friendly theme. I usually start with the Skeleton framework for the majority of my sites.

http://themes.simplethemes.com/skeleton/

Also have had good luck with "Responsive" - http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/responsive

Delivering up mobile sites is so 2012, man.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Gyshall posted:

Yeah, fuf, try using a responsive, mobile friendly theme. I usually start with the Skeleton framework for the majority of my sites.

http://themes.simplethemes.com/skeleton/

Also have had good luck with "Responsive" - http://wordpress.org/extend/themes/responsive

Delivering up mobile sites is so 2012, man.
I use Responsive for my site and I can definitely recommend it. The theme works great on the iPhone and iPad and the only bits that look slightly dodgy on a small screen is one or two pieces of content generated by a separate plugin.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt
Anyone have a link to a step by step guide on how to move an entire wordpress site (theme, posts, images, etc.) over to new hosting and url?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
1. Copy all the files.
2. Dump the database.
3. Use the mysql bundled program "replace" to find and replace the old URL with the new URL on your SQL file.
4. Upload your files and import the database. Nothing else to worry about, typically.

roybot9000
Aug 27, 2003
If you are comfortable with the command line, sed is a powerful search and replace tool, useful for replacing all of the old urls with the new one.

code:
sed 's/oldurl/newurl/g' sql_dump.sql > new_sql_dump.sql

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~
I have found the instructions in the Wordpress Codex to be extremely helpful for a newbie.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Also tell Google you changed your domain name so your rankings don't get slammed too hard - http://support.google.com/webmasters/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=83106

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

I changed my host recently and now I'm getting 500 errors on the main site and occasional 404 while in the admin. Where should I start looking? I feel it may be a database issue but I'm not sure.

roybot9000
Aug 27, 2003
Open up your browser inspector and watch the assets as they load, there might be some clues there. Also check your error logs. Double check your file permissions. And also make sure that your rewrite rules are not breakings things. Actually I would check your htaccess first.

Did your domain name change? What is different about this host compared to your previous host? Doing a quick comparison of the two could shed light on where to start troubleshooting.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

roybot9000 posted:

Open up your browser inspector and watch the assets as they load, there might be some clues there. Also check your error logs. Double check your file permissions. And also make sure that your rewrite rules are not breakings things. Actually I would check your htaccess first.

Did your domain name change? What is different about this host compared to your previous host? Doing a quick comparison of the two could shed light on where to start troubleshooting.

Domain hasn't changed, both are plain old cpanel shared hosts.

Ill check the inspector but the site seems to just be timing out. htaccess looks ok from what I can tell. Ill look at the error logs and permissions however.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

rt4 posted:

1. Copy all the files.
2. Dump the database.
3. Use the mysql bundled program "replace" to find and replace the old URL with the new URL on your SQL file.
4. Upload your files and import the database. Nothing else to worry about, typically.

This sounds more advanced than I'm comfortable with.

Would anyone be willing to do this for me for $25?

It doesn't sound like it would take a long time, I just don't want to screw everything up.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Alfalfa posted:

This sounds more advanced than I'm comfortable with.

Would anyone be willing to do this for me for $25?

It doesn't sound like it would take a long time, I just don't want to screw everything up.

As long as you make a backup of the files and the database beforehand (you can use those very backup files to do the migration too), nothing can really go wrong.
You should back the files and database up even if you hire someone to do it for you.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I'm using the Wordpress Events Manager, which is a very popular events manager plugin. I've created a widget to go with this that queries events and displays them in a list, pulling some other details from other plugins as well. I've got a query going that gets the last few events, but I only want to display events that are tagged as featured. Putting "tag => featured" in the array returns no results, even though I'm positive that one of the events is tagged as featured. This seems to be because the events manager's tags are somehow different than usual Wordpress tags. I know this because using get_the_tags returns nothing, even though I've got an event tagged "featured".

Since this is the one hurdle left with the events slideshow I'm trying to create, it's driving me nuts.

Here's my code:
code:
function my_em_wp_query(){
	$args = array(
		'post_type' => 'event',
//		'tag' => 'featured',
		'posts_per_page' => 5,
		'meta_query' => array( 'key' => '_start_ts', 'value' => current_time('timestamp'), 'compare' => '>=', 'type'=>'numeric' ),
		'orderby' => 'meta_value_num',
		'order' => 'ASC',
		'meta_key' => '_start_ts',
		'meta_value' => current_time('timestamp'),
		'meta_value_num' => current_time('timestamp'),
		'meta_compare' => '>=',
		'tax_query' => array(
		array(
			'post_type' => 'event',
			'field' => 'slug',
			'terms' => array( 'featured' )
			)
		)
	);

// The Query
	$query = new WP_Query( $args );
I asked in their support forum and someone said "you need to include taxonomy parameters for this to work - https://codex.wordpress.org/Class_Reference/WP_Query#Taxonomy_Parameters" but I have no clue what that means. You can see my experimentation with taxonomy in the tax_query poo poo up there, but am I even doing it correctly?

I feel weird asking a question that has to do with a plugin and not Wordpress itself, but I figured it might be a popular enough plugin and/or getting tags from custom post types might be more common of a thing than I know.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013
^^^
Based on what I'm reading, it may work to change 'post_type' => 'event' in the 'tax_query' array item to 'taxonomy' => 'event-tag' and remove the 'tag' => 'featured'

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Winter is Cuming posted:

^^^
Based on what I'm reading, it may work to change 'post_type' => 'event' in the 'tax_query' array item to 'taxonomy' => 'event-tag' and remove the 'tag' => 'featured'

The tag => featured was commented out, but I've removed that anyway. Changing it to taxonomy => event tag doesn't work, it still displays no events. This is driving me nuts. The only way this slideshow thing is going to work is if I find SOME way to differentiate some events as "featured" and make the query only pull things tagged "featured". The Events Mananger uses its own categories and tags, so I can't filter it using either of those.

Edit: I did it by creating a new user named "Featured Event Manager" and the featured events will all need to have their author set to that user. It's sloppy, but the event author isn't displayed anywhere on the site, so it shouldn't cause any problems. It is sloppy though, so I'd like to figure out how to do it the correct way.

LifeLynx fucked around with this message at 22:18 on May 6, 2013

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

I am in the middle of hell right now transferring a site designed in Twitter Bootstrap to WordPress. Overall it doesn't seem to bad aside from still waiting on content from the client. I am playing dangerous though as I need to include the Bootstrap JS and files. I looked around for plugins but the authors don't seem to keep things up to date.

Is my original method of just putting the Twitter BS files in the folders going to be okay?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Vintersorg posted:

I am in the middle of hell right now transferring a site designed in Twitter Bootstrap to WordPress. Overall it doesn't seem to bad aside from still waiting on content from the client. I am playing dangerous though as I need to include the Bootstrap JS and files. I looked around for plugins but the authors don't seem to keep things up to date.

Is my original method of just putting the Twitter BS files in the folders going to be okay?

The right way to do this would be to integrate Bootstrap into the theme itself, using plugins isn't what you want to do because they break / clients uninstall them randomly, etc.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
http://www.rootstheme.com/

Or http://320press.com/wpbs/ ,which is boostrap built on top of http://themble.com/bones/.

Or http://bootstrapwp.rachelbaker.me/

mcsuede fucked around with this message at 19:52 on May 9, 2013

Omits-Bagels
Feb 13, 2001
I run http://thesavvybackpacker.com and I need a small change. The theme I'm using uses a sidebar that is 270px but I'd like it to be 300px wide since that is the standard size for most sidebars/ads.

My main concern is that my theme is responsive so I'd like the theme to still look correct when it is viewed with a smaller device (I was reading on the theme's support forum and someone else tried this and things got a little wonky).

The theme author says "If you have changed the width of the sidebar and the content area, you would need to adjust their widths for the responsive layout as well. You can do that by adjusting the widths in the css media queries, which you will find at the end of the style.css file.
Just open the style.css file and change the widths of the sidebars and the content are there in the media queries of each device."

but I had someone else look at the modification and they said that the theme uses javascript to make the css changes on the fly.... I don't know anything about this stuff so hopefully one of you fine folk do.

This is the theme I'm using... http://themeforest.net/item/metro-m...s-theme/3834138

I've posted this job on SA-Mart if anyone is interested: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548946

da keebsta knicca
Sep 12, 2000

Oh Ruutu, you are such a card.
I am about to take on a project that involves building a membership based website. Basically get access to training videos after you signup, maybe with a free membership level then a pay level. I have been reading about all the membership plugins and the pros and cons from other review websites, but I have more of a question of architecture and keeping it clean.

Does anyone have experience with having maybe two instances of Wordpress running? one at https://www.yourdomain.com and then another at members.yourdomain.com and having a more customized membership experience when this is setup? versus just having one Wordpress instance, and trying to manage all the membership rights across the website. One big concern with 2 is obviously having to possibly manage certain pieces of content twice. With two I think it is easier for my non technical client to do updates that don't involve membership specific tag blocks.

If anyone knows of any articles or anything on this that would be cool.

da keebsta knicca fucked around with this message at 09:17 on May 14, 2013

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Running a Wordpress multisite will let you manage users, posts, and code across multiple sites with their own domains, I think

http://codex.wordpress.org/Create_A_Network

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Does WP provide a function to deactivate a plugin by name?

I ask because one of the people I work with has a local setup that for some reason sends tons of email via WP Better Security until it gets deactivated. What I'd like to do is to add something in functions.php that'll detect if we're running on "localhost" and then deactivate that plugin.

Nebulon Gate
Feb 23, 2013

rt4 posted:

Does WP provide a function to deactivate a plugin by name?

I ask because one of the people I work with has a local setup that for some reason sends tons of email via WP Better Security until it gets deactivated. What I'd like to do is to add something in functions.php that'll detect if we're running on "localhost" and then deactivate that plugin.

I pulled up this quick:

http://wpseek.com/deactivate_plugins/

Looks like the function is deactivate_plugins, found in plugin.php in wp-includes.

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~

da keebsta knicca posted:

I am about to take on a project that involves building a membership based website. Basically get access to training videos after you signup, maybe with a free membership level then a pay level. I have been reading about all the membership plugins and the pros and cons from other review websites, but I have more of a question of architecture and keeping it clean.

Does anyone have experience with having maybe two instances of Wordpress running? one at https://www.yourdomain.com and then another at members.yourdomain.com and having a more customized membership experience when this is setup? versus just having one Wordpress instance, and trying to manage all the membership rights across the website. One big concern with 2 is obviously having to possibly manage certain pieces of content twice. With two I think it is easier for my non technical client to do updates that don't involve membership specific tag blocks.

If anyone knows of any articles or anything on this that would be cool.

I'm afraid I can't answer your direct question but I can say I use S2Member a lot with amateur content managers and it's really not hard. You can select from a dropdown to restrict a post or page to a certain membership level, and there are very easy to understand shortcode conditionals for restricting content within a given page.

da keebsta knicca
Sep 12, 2000

Oh Ruutu, you are such a card.
Thanks. I am used to running adult websites years and years ago and it was more like sales front end / membership behind a wall. So basically two separate websites. With wordpress setups it seems like it is all integrated in one site. I would kind of want totally separate main menus, completely different landing pages and such. IE once you are logged in it is a whole new world for the most part.

I will ask for some suggestions on some of the forums for the different membership solutions maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadowstar
May 19, 2003

~~~~~~~~~
Anyone know a better guide than the one in the codex for optimizing Wordpress? We're stretching up to 100,000k monthly views on a site with several high-powered plugins and it's pushing our VPS way too hard. I'm doing tons of stuff on the server side that is helping but I think I need more pointers on optimizing the WP and plugin code itself somehow.

I use WP Super Cache, which is great, but we have a ton of logged in users who I can't serve cached pages to due to cookies and whatnot. :(