Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

sunburnedcrow posted:

Speaking of Zeta? Is double zeta worth watching. I skipped double zeta and went straight into Char's Counterattack. (Mostly because I am a huge Char fan)

It's not bad, and it features the best protagonist in the series flat. Judau was such a change of pace compared to Kamille I just cannot hate ZZ, even if the supporting cast is far weaker than Zeta's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Double Zeta has a few interesting episodes and the rest of it is somewhere between mediocre to outright bad. I really liked the Episode with Torres' old crush suffering the most miserable death I've seen in Gundam, but it is really bad on the returning cast from Zeta otherwise.

Which sucks because half the reason to watch it is to find out what the gently caress happened to Haman between Zeta and CCA.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

It's not bad, and it features the best protagonist in the series flat. Judau was such a change of pace compared to Kamille I just cannot hate ZZ, even if the supporting cast is far weaker than Zeta's.

Hey, Roux and Elle were pretty cool, the minor villains like the crew of the Endra were great, the main antagonist is Haman Khan (enough said), and Glemmy is an impressively creepy little fucker. ZZ's cast has quite a bit going for it.

Also, seeing the slow erosion of Bright Noa's dignity seldom gets old.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Darth Walrus posted:

Hey, Roux and Elle were pretty cool, the minor villains like the crew of the Endra were great, the main antagonist is Haman Khan (enough said), and Glemmy is an impressively creepy little fucker. ZZ's cast has quite a bit going for it.

Also, seeing the slow erosion of Bright Noa's dignity seldom gets old.

I know ZZ is a very polarizing series, but I wonder how much of that is solely on its characters? There wasn't a character in the whole show I didn't hate except for anyone returning from Zeta and Chara Soon, and Judau was probably the worst out of anyone.

E: Well, that's not entirely true. Elle was alright. I used to hate her a lot for using the Super Gundam in a few video games where Emma should have appeared, but I didn't hate her as much after watching ZZ, so I guess that goes to say... something.

Son Ryo fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Apr 18, 2013

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Something that I've been wondering is what people think of the insert music across the franchise. As mehtastic as Destiny was, I really love Fields of Hope and whatever the name of Akatsuki no Kuruma version 2 is. On the other end of the spectrum though, the kid's song from Gundam 00 made me want to stab my ears. What's everyone else's thoughts on the music?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TARDISman posted:

Something that I've been wondering is what people think of the insert music across the franchise. As mehtastic as Destiny was, I really love Fields of Hope and whatever the name of Akatsuki no Kuruma version 2 is. On the other end of the spectrum though, the kid's song from Gundam 00 made me want to stab my ears. What's everyone else's thoughts on the music?

Door of Flames/Honoo no Tobira.

Honestly, I thought Destiny had pretty good music overall. 00 had great fight themes but I was less pleased with its other music. (It had really good fight themes though.) Age had a few fantastic songs and a lot of boring mediocre crap. On the other hand it has Beyond the Fate/Beyond Destiny/whatever which is probably one of my favorite Gundam songs ever.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

TARDISman posted:

No contest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ym7PYA2HlSk

Heavy Victory Gundam finale spoilers.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Unicorn's music, meanwhile, has been pretty much universally loving fantastic.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

I completely forgot about Unicorn's music, when I first watched Wing, Zeta, and the first season of 00 on Youtube each one opened with the Unicorn theme and the same trailer. It's now permanently etched into my memory.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

TARDISman posted:

I like a lot of the OP/ED/insert music from SEED and Destiny in a sort of guilty-pleasure way. Some of the songs are pretty cheesy in that j-pop way and because I haven't seen SEED and Destiny I don't have any emotional connection to them (maybe it's better that way, though). I like "Invoke", "Ignited", and "Vestige" even though I don't particularly like T.M. Revolution's voice. There's something about the vibrato of his voice and the upward inflection at the end of the notes he hits that bugs me.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

TARDISman posted:

Anyone who doesn't like Meer's songs for their amazingly cheesy j-poppiness is a terrible person. :colbert:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wwK9CZU5mc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DTBF1xqesA
Mildly :nws: due to Meer's outfits.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
I think Judeau was a good character, but didn't belong in a story where people were expecting "Zeta gundam 2". The whole tone change was just jarring and irritating for me, and I knew from the first episode where bright was wrangling chickens and Yazan was acting like a 3 stooges character that I wasn't going to like it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

AzraelNewtype posted:

Not really. The first third is kind of mediocre comedy, the middle is pretty good, the last is just insulting. There's a fairly obvious retooling to make way for CCA that ruins any momentum it had. Unicorn references the poo poo out of it though.

Really? I've never watched past episode two of ZZ but I'm familiar with a lot of the cast, suits and story of the show from threads here and on /m/ but it seems to be the least referenced of the 3 preceding series to me. I thought it only really referenced it in faily oblique ways like suit cameos and small things like that? You can certainly understand everything going on in Unicorn without ever seeing it.

Darth Walrus posted:

the main antagonist is Haman Khan (enough said)

Isn't she rather gimped compared to the way she acts in Zeta? It's certainly the impression I've always gotten from ZZ discussion, that she acts somewhat out of character, isn't as effective a leader or pilot/fighter and ends up committing suicide by asteroid because she can't handle defeat.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tsob posted:

Really? I've never watched past episode two of ZZ but I'm familiar with a lot of the cast, suits and story of the show from threads here and on /m/ but it seems to be the least referenced of the 3 preceding series to me. I thought it only really referenced it in faily oblique ways like suit cameos and small things like that? You can certainly understand everything going on in Unicorn without ever seeing it.

The main carrier is from ZZ Gundam, a lot of the suits have direct lineage to ZZ Gundam, one of the major characters is a direct reference to ZZ Gundam whose backstory only makes sense if you've seen ZZ Gundam (or are otherwise familiar with it from other material.) A lot of the smaller background details are callbacks to stuff from ZZ Gundam even. But really almost every scene with Marida Cruz is in some way a ZZ Gundam reference. Right down to Banagher asking her what her favorite food is and getting "ice cream" in return.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Darth Walrus posted:

Unicorn's music is a bunch of one note choir chanting. I got bored of that on the PS1.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Whizbang posted:

Unicorn's music is a bunch of one note choir chanting. I got bored of that on the PS1.

Look at how utterly wrong you are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vTMawFPXMw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3QTcgtZdRI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Ke_PmL8Zdw

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The only way you could hate Unicorn's music is if you hate the main theme, because like 50% of the tracks are or contain an arrange of it.

ImpAtom posted:

ZZ references

The Gundam even gets a random Full Armor upgrade at the end.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Meow Tse-tung posted:

I think Judeau was a good character, but didn't belong in a story where people were expecting "Zeta gundam 2". The whole tone change was just jarring and irritating for me, and I knew from the first episode where bright was wrangling chickens and Yazan was acting like a 3 stooges character that I wasn't going to like it.

Kamille was completely insufferable throughout the first chunk of Zeta, and only got better by throwing even worse characters into the fray. Amuro pulled off the "spoiled socially-awkward genius" character a lot better than Kamille ever did.

Honestly, half the reason I watched ZZ was due to people complaining how unlike Zeta it was. I didn't dislike Zeta, but it was nowhere near my favorite series in the franchise.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Unicorn's soundtrack doesn't even have that much grandiose choral stuff. For the most part it's bombastic Hans Zimmer orchestrations and StormDrum 2 percussion grooves with a bunch of ethnic string and wind for exotic flavor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfPeFUtHba0
I'm not meaning to be demeaning here, that's pretty much my favorite kind of music and Gundam Unicorn's score is one of my top favorite anime scores.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq12zfrtCy8

The extended version of "Mobile Suit" is pretty drat badass too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn-QLYKhmXs

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

3 posted:

Look at how utterly wrong you are:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3QTcgtZdRI

Audrey is definitely one of my favorite pieces of music in a long time and it fits that scene extremely well.

Also, don't forget:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAA9ia9RzeU Desert, another good example of how exotic and lovely the soundtrack can be. And I'm posting a version uploaded with some wallpaper that feels appropriate.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGNR2BpYMUg On Your Mark, which is a little closer to what Whizbang might be expecting but it's a romantic piece without a chorus in earshot.

Basically, what I'm saying is that Unicorn's OST is incredible and also pretty versatile, it's just the choral bombast happens to be the most prominent (and iconic) parts of the OST. Though of all music tropes to get sick of, I can sort of understand people who dislike the sweeping harmonious choir but can't really agree, especially when it's done as well as it is in Unicorn. Judging by his remarks I'm guessing--and only guessing--he's making a jab at FF7, though actual Latin chanting is something somewhat different than what Unicorn's lyricless singing, which in this case used like an instrument rather than as the centerpiece in the way most songs are (and I could hardly call Unicorn's tracks "songs" even when a chorus is involved). Let's be honest, One Winged Angel sounds a hell of a lot different from, say, MAD-NUG to the point where they're completely different genres entirely. Now, the woman wailing a la Gladiator, that's been done to death and back.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Well Manicured Man posted:

I like a lot of the OP/ED/insert music from SEED and Destiny in a sort of guilty-pleasure way. Some of the songs are pretty cheesy in that j-pop way and because I haven't seen SEED and Destiny I don't have any emotional connection to them (maybe it's better that way, though). I like "Invoke", "Ignited", and "Vestige" even though I don't particularly like T.M. Revolution's voice. There's something about the vibrato of his voice and the upward inflection at the end of the notes he hits that bugs me.

I like Vestige a lot but personally I'm a bigger fan of Realize than Invoke. Partly because I enjoy Nami Tamaki to T.M. Revolution, and partly because of the version in SRWJ.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
The best part about ZZ Gundam is Yazan.

Someone making that show must have hated him.

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

Shinjobi posted:

Kamille was completely insufferable throughout the first chunk of Zeta, and only got better by throwing even worse characters into the fray. Amuro pulled off the "spoiled socially-awkward genius" character a lot better than Kamille ever did.

Honestly, half the reason I watched ZZ was due to people complaining how unlike Zeta it was. I didn't dislike Zeta, but it was nowhere near my favorite series in the franchise.

I loving loved Kamille more than I ever really did Amuro. Like, that first episode of Zeta is a really just a rework of the first episode of 0079 which makes you think that Kamille is just going to be a rehash of Amuro at first -- but then he becomes something really different when he steals the Mk II just to gently caress with that Titan officer.

It's so great.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Kamille has Problems and that is why he's very entertaining. Amuro mostly was angsty, but Kamille has legit Problems.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Adam Strange posted:

I loving loved Kamille more than I ever really did Amuro. Like, that first episode of Zeta is a really just a rework of the first episode of 0079 which makes you think that Kamille is just going to be a rehash of Amuro at first -- but then he becomes something really different when he steals the Mk II just to gently caress with that Titan officer.

It's so great.

I knew I was going to love Zeta as soon as Kamille starting throwing a temper tantrum and socking people in the jaw left and right.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
If Amuro had known karate, maybe things would've been different around White Base...
*sits in brig waiting for Frau to bring food and goddammt you let the corn touch the beans*

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Zorak posted:

Kamille has Problems and that is why he's very entertaining. Amuro mostly was angsty, but Kamille has legit Problems.

Yeah, I really liked Kamille. He may have been a little whiny, but goddamn if he didn't have a good excuse.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Begemot posted:

Yeah, I really liked Kamille. He may have been a little whiny, but goddamn if he didn't have a good excuse.

Well yeah, he was very sensitive about having a girl's name but Fa insisted on shouting it out in public at every opportunity. He probably wouldn't have ever become a pilot if Fa had a shred of tact.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Shinjobi posted:

It's almost like they're unique characters and not just interchangeable archetypes!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Serious Frolicking posted:

Well yeah, he was very sensitive about having a girl's name but Fa insisted on shouting it out in public at every opportunity. He probably wouldn't have ever become a pilot if Fa had a shred of tact.

So, in a way, everything is Fa's fault?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

muike posted:

I like that Volume II: "Garma" is depicted with a painting of Amuro.

Sunrise didn't want such a "minor" character to get a cover spot.

Reset Smith
Apr 6, 2009

AzraelNewtype posted:

Sunrise didn't want such a "minor" character to get a cover spot.

I'd blame it on the misfortune of his birth

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
He was gonna be on the cover but Char tricked him.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

AzraelNewtype posted:

It's almost like they're unique characters and not just interchangeable archetypes!

It's almost like I interpreted the characters to be similar, but severely disliked the erratic actions of one! Especially since I just got done talking about how different ZZ's main character was! :monocle:

I don't think Kamille is a bad protagonist, mind you. I just thought the first ten episodes of Zeta were pretty drat rough, and Kamille flying off the handle all the time didn't help. Maybe it was the light hearted start to ZZ, but I thought Judau worked a lot better right from the get-go.

Nalmontes
Apr 19, 2013
I just started watching Seed. I don't know why I guess I just wanted to torture myself. I think my first question is how in the hell does someone reprogram an entire OS in the middle of battle? It just seems kind of ridiculous. I think I should watch episode 6 of Unicorn to counteract this show. Does it get any better?

On a side note I really like the music in Unicorn because of the timing in the battles. It really seems like it's well coordinated.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Do not question the mighty abilities of our Lord and Savior Kira Yamato.

Seriously though, Seed's alright, if bland. Only real problem with it is the character designs and the silly way the writers decided to resolve "there are good people on both sides!" (so let's have all the good people team up on one super good side) and "Kira doesn't want to kill anyone" (you already know what they did). Seed Destiny's the one everyone hates.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 22, 2013

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nalmontes posted:

I just started watching Seed. I don't know why I guess I just wanted to torture myself. I think my first question is how in the hell does someone reprogram an entire OS in the middle of battle? It just seems kind of ridiculous. I think I should watch episode 6 of Unicorn to counteract this show. Does it get any better?

On a side note I really like the music in Unicorn because of the timing in the battles. It really seems like it's well coordinated.

He doesn't reprogram the entire OS. He disables most of it and ends up having to compensate for the parts he disabled with his own abilities, which includes making adjustments manually. That's how people figure out he's a Coordinator in the first place. Naturals need the full OS, Coordinators don't. The ZAFT guys who steal the robots also all disable their OSes after stealing them as well. Kira is just able to reprogram it because... well, that is what he went to college for and is also an anime protagonist.

I wouldn't watch any Gundam if that's the thing you can't stand because "teenage protagonist gets into robot, is unnaturally good due to special powers" makes up the bulk of Gundam first episodes. If you're going in going "this show sucks and I'm going to hate it" then no, you shouldn't watch any more because you're going to hate it regardless of what show it is. SEED has a lot of problems to begin with but that's only going to be exacerbated by going "come on, you piece of poo poo, let's see how much you suck" and getting angry when it does generic anime stuff.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 22, 2013

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Honestly, most of the first SEED series isn't really terrible. The part I have a hard time with is Hisashi Hirai.

Nalmontes
Apr 19, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

He doesn't reprogram the entire OS. He disables most of it and ends up having to compensate for the parts he disabled with his own abilities, which includes making adjustments manually. That's how people figure out he's a Coordinator in the first place. Naturals need the full OS, Coordinators don't. The ZAFT guys who steal the robots also all disable their OSes after stealing them as well. Kira is just able to reprogram it because... well, that is what he went to college for and is also an anime protagonist.

I wouldn't watch any Gundam if that's the thing you can't stand because "teenage protagonist gets into robot, is unnaturally good due to special powers" makes up the bulk of Gundam first episodes. If you're going in going "this show sucks and I'm going to hate it" then no, you shouldn't watch any more because you're going to hate it regardless of what show it is. SEED has a lot of problems to begin with but that's only going to be exacerbated by going "come on, you piece of poo poo, let's see how much you suck" and getting angry when it does generic anime stuff.

I don't really mind the whole teenage protagonist thing. I've watched enough mecha anime to be used to it. Though they do say in the show that he reprograms it, I assumed that he reprogrammed everything. I guess that makes more sense now that I think about it. I'm giving it a chance though. It's not bad, just not great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
My favorite will always be Amuro flipping through the 600 page New Gundam User's Manual and What to Expect When Your Gundam Has Animation Errors.

• Locked thread