Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerk
Feb 9, 2008

Since 1992

Rocco posted:

I know we've been getting "Get Lucky" fake-rear end leaks all week, but I think we have the first genuine leak of a different random track on the album "Lose Yourself To Dance" (track 6) It sounds more or less completely legit and I guess people have already heard it at Coachella. Not sure what I think about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Md7LLkK9I

Edit: I'm fairly certain I hear Julian Casablancas on this one but I may be retarded.

This is so bad.

We've all waited 7 years, havent we learned that patience is a virtue with Daft Punk? The album will be out soon enough...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well, looks like I'll be up all night to get lucky :getin:

(But really midnight Eastern is only 11pm for me.)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kerk posted:

This is so bad.

We've all waited 7 years, havent we learned that patience is a virtue with Daft Punk? The album will be out soon enough...

Look, we've come too far to give up who we are.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Kerk posted:

This is so bad.

THAT'S NOT SOON ENOUGH!

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

What a great night to have to work overnight, gonna be bumping this over the PA

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Ah yes, just as soon as I get off work. I'll be coming home to get lucky. Sweet.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
AV Club posted a radio edit from some Dutch station.

http://www.avclub.com/articles/listen-to-the-officially-official-version-of-daft,96669/

Includes dancing.

E: I'm way late to this thread, but I think this song is all sorts of awesome fun.

E2: Jesus, the song has quite the Wikipedia page

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 18, 2013

garney
Jul 21, 2007
http://www.avclub.com/articles/list...eadline:default

Sounds more together than the other versions posted earlier, but still cuts off before the solo thing...guess we'll find out in a few hours?

Edit: drat!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

the black husserl posted:

The last time Daft Punk will risk alienating their audience with high concept.

Something about youth being the prime time vs adulthood being death, getting into the parent's stash and don't do drugs or something?

Colonel Pancreas
Jun 17, 2004

Rocco posted:

I know we've been getting "Get Lucky" fake-rear end leaks all week, but I think we have the first genuine leak of a different random track on the album "Lose Yourself To Dance" (track 6) It sounds more or less completely legit and I guess people have already heard it at Coachella. Not sure what I think about it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Md7LLkK9I

Edit: I'm fairly certain I hear Julian Casablancas on this one but I may be retarded.

Anyone have a mirror for this?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Gatts posted:

don't do drugs or something?

Colonel Pancreas posted:

Hey! Listen to Gatts please.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Colonel Pancreas posted:

It was a stupid joke track.

Let's cut out the hilarious unlabeled fake leaks, have some indication that it's not real at least.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Gatts posted:

Something about youth being the prime time vs adulthood being death, getting into the parent's stash and don't do drugs or something?

It's about how media images regulate the body. At least "prime time of your life" is, the rest of the album goes a lot of places.

I don't know how you got drugs from that, did you miss the self mutilation, the overweight girl looking at images of her 'perfect' family, the obvious extreme of weight loss being to remove your flesh? It's a cool track.

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Apr 18, 2013

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That's very different from the one posted a few pages ago. That's the real track for sure, and it sounds way better.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.
Anyone have a history of preordering stuff on iTunes? Like, if you preorder and a single is released, can you download it without purchasing the single separately?

text editor
Jan 8, 2007
AlbumSingle allegedly being delivered to radio DJs in armored cases

pics:
https://twitter.com/Laurentbouneau/status/324829360047665156/photo/1

https://twitter.com/FreddoPau/status/324820370492362752/photo/1

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

This version is a hell of a lot better. The one posted yesterday was okay but not "get down with your bad self" good like this.

Edit: although I still wish they'd chosen a better singer than Pharrell.

Dinosaurs! fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 18, 2013

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
So with this album does this mean that new-age disco and early 80's stage music is making a comeback?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Haha that guy is really excited. Track sounds really good though.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Ringo Star Get posted:

So with this album does this mean that new-age disco and early 80's stage music is making a comeback?

If you've been listening to good house music, it never left.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

Serious question...is Daft Punk considered old people's electronic by kids in their teens and early 20s or have they developed a timeless image? I'm in my late 20s and I could definitely see a younger crowd not being quite as receptive to this if they didn't grow up with Homework and Discovery. Its a fairly different sound compared to most modern electronic.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

Zigmidge posted:

If you've been listening to good house music, it never left.

Got any suggestions? I'm looking to pad my collection.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Ringo Star Get posted:

Someone probably has a better idea but start with the Masters At Work label. Mid 2000s also had a lot of good soulful house. Look for sets from Jazzy Jeff and Lil Louie Vega and pick out the artists you enjoyed from them. Lil Louie also has a killer set of songs he produced himself.

That should be enough to get started with I guess.

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Ringo Star Get posted:

Alan Braxe, Fred Falke, Lifelike, Kris Menace, DatA, Tesla Boy, Holy Ghost!, FM ATTACK, Miami Horror, Breakbot, Bag Raiders.

Wario In Real Life fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 18, 2013

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I've been listening to the recent Breakbot album ("By Your Side") to sate my disco house needs lately.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

resident posted:

Serious question...is Daft Punk considered old people's electronic by kids in their teens and early 20s or have they developed a timeless image? I'm in my late 20s and I could definitely see a younger crowd not being quite as receptive to this if they didn't grow up with Homework and Discovery. Its a fairly different sound compared to most modern electronic.

I consider myself "old" and while I vividly remember all the albums dropping and the singles rotating (along with the videos), I have never been a Daft Punk zealot. They are arguably absolutely sublime in a live setting and probably a religious experience at the party thrown last weekend when the parents were out and T-Bob scored a bunch of MDMA from the dude that lives in the trailer behind the TexiGringo, but I haven't found much I like under normal circumstances. I will also readily admit I've never been the biggest fan of house music.

I like the idea of "old people's electronic" though as it makes me think of geriatrics clutching tightly to Tangerine Dream LPs. What makes you think it's a generational thing and not just a personal preference?

Vaah
Dec 25, 2008

:shittydog:

Wario In Real Life posted:

Alan Braxe, Fred Falke, Lifelike, Kris Menace, DatA, Tesla Boy, Holy Ghost!, FM ATTACK, Miami Horror, Breakbot, Bag Raiders.

Seconding Tesla Boy, Bag Raiders and Miami Horror. I've got to check out the others, though.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Ringo Star Get posted:

here's some artists that are good to go from: Justin Faust (his remix of Childish Gambino's Heartbeat is amazing), Broke One, Melee (formerly Melee Beats), LBCK, The Geisha Twins, Treasure Fingers, Ghosts of Venice, Mix Chopin, Russ Chimes, Bit Funk, Fare Soldi, La Zebra, Go Go Bizkitt, His Majesty Andre, and The Phantom's Revenge.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

quote:

Daft Punk - Random Access Memories [lederhausen]

:golfclap:

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

hatelull posted:

I consider myself "old" and while I vividly remember all the albums dropping and the singles rotating (along with the videos), I have never been a Daft Punk zealot. They are arguably absolutely sublime in a live setting and probably a religious experience at the party thrown last weekend when the parents were out and T-Bob scored a bunch of MDMA from the dude that lives in the trailer behind the TexiGringo, but I haven't found much I like under normal circumstances. I will also readily admit I've never been the biggest fan of house music.

I like the idea of "old people's electronic" though as it makes me think of geriatrics clutching tightly to Tangerine Dream LPs. What makes you think it's a generational thing and not just a personal preference?

My thought was that while Daft Punk arguably made DJs relevant on the festival scene, they haven't received the same amount of radio play/exposure that guys like Skrillex, Deadmau5, Avicii, Calvin Harris, etc have lately. This coupled with the funk/soul roots of Get Lucky just made me wonder if there will be some resistance amongst the younger party crowd thinking it's like their "parents' music" or something. Either way, I really like Get Lucky and will continue partying with Daft Punk til I die (or have kids or whatever):corsair:

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

This post in juxtaposition with the one right before it is too loving funny.

Doctor Claw
Dec 25, 2007
I'll get you next time Gadget - next time!
I think it's really funny that someone called the comedy of everybody hating on yesterday's leak saying it was "so bad it couldn't be Daft Punk." Now they either have to hate the album they've been hyped on for months, or they have to eat their words. "That outro synth is so generic - they'd definitely use analog if it was them." "No way the guy in the verses is Pharrell - he has a different accent." All of these people get a Gold Award in music production knowledge. The end of the discussion should have been the fact that Pharrell's vocals were solo'd over the handclaps - there is no possible way to do that without access to the track.

Nadir
Apr 12, 2003

It's only up from here

Ringo Star Get posted:

Modjo, Solidisco, Crydamoure + Le Knight Club (which is Guy-Manuel de Homem-Christo's side stuff) are all good for disco-house

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Doctor Claw posted:

I think it's really funny that someone called the comedy of everybody hating on yesterday's leak saying it was "so bad it couldn't be Daft Punk." Now they either have to hate the album they've been hyped on for months, or they have to eat their words. "That outro synth is so generic - they'd definitely use analog if it was them." "No way the guy in the verses is Pharrell - he has a different accent." All of these people get a Gold Award in music production knowledge. The end of the discussion should have been the fact that Pharrell's vocals were solo'd over the handclaps - there is no possible way to do that without access to the track.
I just feel bad for all these professional DJs getting duped by Obviously Fake Pharrell! How humiliating!

SyRauk
Jun 21, 2007

The Persian Menace

resident posted:

I'm in my mid-20s but back when I was 18 and working at Disney World this young couple and their toddler walked into my store, the toddler was wearing a Daft Punk shirt his mom had made him so I asked him what his favorite song was and to my total surprise he blurts out "Da gently caress!" which made the whole store erupt into laughter. I knew he meant Da Funk so I gave him 2 extra free pins because that kid is awesome.

Point being, the people who grew up listening to DP will pass down their knowledge to their children.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

het posted:

I just feel bad for all these professional DJs getting duped by Obviously Fake Pharrell! How humiliating!

If only his accent didn't sound so different, no one would have been fooled.

quadratic
May 2, 2002
f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c

Can I add Todd Terje to that list?

Knives and Hot Dust
Feb 21, 2010

metal gear??!?
Some crazy theory out there that the new Pharrell lines are synthesized from this interview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJBlcM-uwIc&t=639s

Muck and Mire
Dec 9, 2011

Doctor Claw posted:

Actually if you had the original loop and then the original loop with Pharell's vocals you could use phase inversion to get a DIY acapella, that's pretty common and not difficult to do if you have the right files. I'm not sure if that happened here but it wouldn't be impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I still dont think the "leak" we've heard is the final version anyway, it could be a leaked demo. It's not a big deal anyways, but I'm still not convinced we've heard the final thing. But there's been versions going around that have better quality audio so it may be closer to final.

• Locked thread