Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

bsamu posted:

Nice shot! I was in the BRZ next to you :) Are you going to the BMWCCA autocross or the TCUSA one in a couple weeks?

I'm going to do BMWCCA again to see how they do a "real" event. Looks like it'll be pretty busy!

Question for the thread: even though I'm not looking to upgrade the suspension yet, I'd be crazy NOT to pick up 4 STI limited struts with Prodrive springs and group N top hats for $250, right? I'm pretty sure this will fit my '02 WRX Sedan. e: Just read that Prodrive are just lowering springs and not for performance, but the ad says "Prodrive P1" which I'm pretty sure is just a GC thing

Neptr fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Apr 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
If by "sti limited" struts, meaning off an 07sti, they will not fit. 05+ sti got upgraded hubs and the regular wrx front struts are smaller.

Roman Rambo posted:

I asked this question on NASIOC but I'm not satisfied with the answer of maybe that I got there, so here goes:

Will a 255/35-18 tire on 18x8.5 wheel, +45 offset fit on a 2005 STi without rolling the fenders? Will this clear the struts?

I'd like to put some meaty tires on but I'm concerned about rub. The car is on RCE black springs and revalved feal struts. -1.5 degrees camber in the rear currently.

I would say most likely will fit, but it'll be really close on both sides and might even depend on the specific tire. A tiny bit of rolling isn't too much work. Just make sure you currently have about 10mm between the tires and struts.

jamal fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 18, 2013

Meat Mitts
May 28, 2012

Totally TWISTED posted:

On my phone or I'd try and Google/look at my bookmarks but I have seen in this thread that the Crosstrek is a lifted impreza and it doesn't open on the impreza so..yeah.

That's what I thought. Thanks

Roman Rambo
Dec 21, 2009

jamal posted:

If by "sti limited" struts, meaning off an 07sti, they will not fit. 05+ sti got upgraded hubs and the regular wrx front struts are smaller.

I would say most likely will fit, but it'll be really close on both sides and might even depend on the specific tire. A tiny bit of rolling isn't too much work. Just make sure you currently have about 10mm between the tires and struts.

Thanks jamal. Fatter tires here I come, well once I check current strut clearance that is.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
How much could I expect to make parting out a 2004 WRX with a spun rod bearing?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Depending on the colour you could make a lot of money on the bodywork alone - it is hard to find bodyparts for a 2004 STI in WRB (almost everything changed in 05+). A trunklid or rear bumper in particular seems to be a brisk trade on local forums

In terms of heavy parts, the transmission, axles and differential are valuable to other WRX owners (especially if third and/or second gear are in good shape and the input shaft snout hasn't been lunched). The interior is easy to sell but the switchgear is not especially valuable (a steering wheel with unblown airbag is not particularly valuable to the backyard mechanic and I suspect a pro bodyshop wouldn't take the risk). There seems to be a demand for clean intact headliners and carpet on our local market, and non-folding-down rear seats may be valuable to a Canadian sedan owner who wants to stiffen their car up.

Injectors are worthwhile but I wouldn't try to resell any lines or consumables in the engine bay. Timing covers and pulleys are sometimes in demand to fix accident damage or previous owner neglect.

All of the glass is pretty valuable. The main harness and ECU are probably worthwhile to someone who wants to do a turbo swap into a nonturbo Subaru or replace some freak-rear end mods on their own WRX.

Removable panels - hoods, front fenders, bumper cover, bumper beam, doors, headlights and door cards are always in demand, especially in the rear. If you didn't live in NEAI Land it might be worthwhile to chop the rear quarter and sell it to a junkyard to use as an accident repair spare. The radiator support is probably not worth cutting - you can buy a replacement quite cheaply relative to the labour to remove and install one.

Foglights on the 04/05 are not very worthwhile - seems like most people either cut up their bumper to fit 02/03 foglights or opt for the JDM 04/05 foglight housings. Probably a bodyshop wouldn't mind having them, and the (H3?) bulbs are interchangeable with most other Subarus.

I am looking for the drivers' side inner trunk liner for an 04 at this very moment so if you do get it I have dibs. :)

Front end parts are also always in demand - clean control arms and brackets (hahaha), steering rack and front subframe get lunched a lot in curb crashes. Uprights less so. I wouldn't try to resell brake parts other than maybe the calipers, but 04 doesn't have anything that's particularly hard to get or desirable for interchange.

The TD04 turbo is probably not worth all that much especially after the engine has already grenaded from an oil starvation condition. However, any exhaust is going to be worthwhile to hold onto as even the stock WRX axleback can be swapped onto an NA to get a little bit more power.

The intake manifold may be worthwhile to someone who wants to do a TGV delete on their EJ205 but doesn't want to cut up their stock manifold, but honestly that's a pretty small market. You'd get more out of pulling the alternator, air conditioning stuff (especially the condenser) and power steering pump.

Tail lights are not interchangeable with 02/03 cars (different bumpers) but they are with 06/07 cars and are a popular swap item for people who don't like the 06/07 "Altezza" style rice tail lights.

Rubber window trim isn't worth your time unless you have someone come and pull it out themselves - it's a lot of work to do it cleanly, and even though it's expensive direct from the dealer I would rather do it with fresh rubber than aged.

Any aftermarket parts are nice to have around because they set their own price (you can look 'em up online and just charge like 50% of the MSRP) and are easily identifiable to someone modifying their car. Stuff like swaybars are easy to store and sell and rear swaybars will even interchange into your RS. Nobody except skinflint lowballers will try to buy bushings or something individually, but Group N motor and transmission mounts are something to keep an eye out for. Aftermarket exhaust seems to hold its value, because c'mon they're just pipes.

If the rest of the car is nice it is not too much work (only a handful of wires for AVCS, change out the hood scoop splitter, and some fiddling with clearances for things like the power steering line) to swap in a JDM EJ207 into an '04 WRX and end up with a running car that is quite rapid.

I did a quick informal poll and grabbed some local prices, though this obviously isn't going to be accurate for your market. NASIOC would be even weirder and shipping/bullshit overhead will probably chip into your profit margin.
  • 04 WRX ECU $50
  • blown EJ205 longblock $500
  • 03 WRX transmission $280
  • injector set about $200
  • group N engine/transmission mount set $150
  • swaybars about $20-50 apiece (more for aftermarket)
  • carpet/headliner set about $250
  • control arm set $100
  • front seats about $50-100 a pop (more for heated)
  • rear seats $50-100 for the "bench"
  • OEM steering wheel $100
  • gauge cluster $50-60 (more for an STI cluster)
  • front doors about $200-300 a pop
  • OEM springs $20-50
  • WRX trunk $150 (with torsion bar included)
  • fuel pump under $50
  • WRX 16" alloys about $200-400 (depending on tires)
  • coilpacks are about $50-80 apiece (depending on mileage; a popular conversion item for JDM WRXes)

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 18, 2013

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.
Debating between a BMW X3 and a 2014 Forester 2.0XT. I realize they're not really in the same niche, since one costs 10k more than the other, and that most of the difference is in creature comforts and name. Viz. power, handling, the meaningful stuff - am I going to be disappointed? I'd be happy to pay less and be equally satisfied with the stuff that matters.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Go drive the 2014 Forester. My wife tells me that there is strong demand at the dealer for them.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
What's the cross-reference like on the rear differential assembly for a 2005 Legacy GT base manual? I've got what sounds and feels like a bad pinion bearing in mine, and I'd rather just grab a used one to toss in until I feel like rebuilding the old one.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Interlude posted:

Debating between a BMW X3 and a 2014 Forester 2.0XT. I realize they're not really in the same niche, since one costs 10k more than the other, and that most of the difference is in creature comforts and name. Viz. power, handling, the meaningful stuff - am I going to be disappointed? I'd be happy to pay less and be equally satisfied with the stuff that matters.

I think the 2014XT is CVT only and in that case I would be running away. What a hateful gearbox. Handling-wise the newer Forester aren't as good as the older ones, they are things you sit in rather than things you have fun in. 10K i s a fair bit but I hate Subaru's CVT so much that I'd pay the difference.

burtonos
Aug 17, 2004

...and the angel did say, "go forth, and lay waste to all who oppose you"

Cat Terrist posted:

I think the 2014XT is CVT only and in that case I would be running away. What a hateful gearbox. Handling-wise the newer Forester aren't as good as the older ones, they are things you sit in rather than things you have fun in. 10K i s a fair bit but I hate Subaru's CVT so much that I'd pay the difference.

Whoa, they don't offer it with the 3.6? My 2013 outback 3.6 came with the old 5 speed auto.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

burtonos posted:

Whoa, they don't offer it with the 3.6? My 2013 outback 3.6 came with the old 5 speed auto.

As far as I'm aware the CVT is Impreza / Forester only at present. Thankfully.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cat Terrist posted:

As far as I'm aware the CVT is Impreza / Forester only at present. Thankfully.

No. CVT is the "automatic" transmission on all 4 cylinder Subarus with an automatic option. They just aren't using it on the 6 cylinder yet. Eventually though, there will not be a non-CVT automatic option.

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

Best five bucks I've ever spend.
I haven't used the Subaru CVT. What makes it so lovely?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Nothing really for the average person who just wants a car to drive around in, it's just boring. A friend has a cvt outback and really likes it. I didn't even notice it was a cvt at first.

jamal fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Apr 18, 2013

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

It's lovely that the Forester XT doesn't come in MT anymore, but it does seem like an engine with poor low-end torque and high top-end power could really benefit from a CVT.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

il serpente cosmico posted:

It's lovely that the Forester XT doesn't come in MT anymore, but it does seem like an engine with poor low-end torque and high top-end power could really benefit from a CVT.

From reviews I've read, the CVT makes the engine feel like the competitors' V6s. That kinda takes away from what made the XT special - having peaky WRX engine in a family car.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

il serpente cosmico posted:

I haven't used the Subaru CVT. What makes it so lovely?

If you want to have a car that does anything beyond A to B, the gearbox fights you the whole time. A to B vegetable, fine, whatever. People who dont care wont notice. But if you do care (which is us obviously), holy gently caress it'll infuriate you, just like every other blighted CVT. It's that bad to even stir it that I paid out of my own pocket to switch to a manual Suzuki Swift for a few days on my recent in and out of god knows how many cars. As pretty boring as that thing was, I drat near wanted to kiss it because it actually felt like something more than an appliance.

Yakattak
Dec 17, 2009

I am Grumpypuss
>:3

While we're doing CVT chat, we rented a newer Outback with a CVT and I didn't hate it that much, but it was definitely a really weird feeling. In other news, got the wheels/tires mounted and balanced on my Bugeye today.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

I've seen people mention the 'short block' when talking about WRX/Impreza motor rebuilds. What exactly is that? The block out of an STI? Sorry I know this is probably a stupid question but I've Googled around and can't seem to find the answer.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Engines (on pretty much every car) are usually referred to as the longblock (crankcase + heads) or shortblock (just the crankcase).

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
I don't think I'll ever get tired of pushing the pedal to the floor in 2nd gear on a cool night in my WRX. Getting shoved into your seat from a standstill through 4th gear just hits the right spot.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Amandyke posted:

I don't think I'll ever get tired of pushing the pedal to the floor in 2nd gear on a cool night in my WRX. Getting shoved into your seat from a standstill through 4th gear just hits the right spot.

Indeed. Summer in the IE is really depressing.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

nm posted:

Indeed. Summer in the IE is really depressing.

Come out to the canyons then! We just had another fun run around Angeles Crest and the nearby access roads today.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
CVT is kind of hit or miss, I agree. I just got one in the Crosstrek after driving that, the Impreza Sport and 14 Forester. Most of the time its fine, however when trying to go up an exceptionally large hill (like, really steep), I had it floored and it just kinda whined and chugged really slowly until at some point the CVT decided to put a little more power in and help it up the hill, but it took a pretty long time.

Love the car overall, but I can see why enthusiasts are anti-Subaru CVT.

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Cozmosis posted:

CVT is kind of hit or miss, I agree. I just got one in the Crosstrek after driving that, the Impreza Sport and 14 Forester. Most of the time its fine, however when trying to go up an exceptionally large hill (like, really steep), I had it floored and it just kinda whined and chugged really slowly until at some point the CVT decided to put a little more power in and help it up the hill, but it took a pretty long time.

Love the car overall, but I can see why enthusiasts are anti-Subaru CVT.

Does your Crosstrek have paddle shifters? If so you can put it into manual mode and throw it into a lower gear when neccecary.

So far I've been using the paddles like 70% of the time on my new Impreza. It obvoiusly doesen't replicate the feel of dring a real manual, but at least it makes the car behave like it has a normal auto transmission with fixed gear ratios.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
It rained like hell today, and I live on a dirt(sand) road. I guess my 2 week old WRX is a proper Subaru now :3:

Daisy approves too.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Beat that

il serpente cosmico
May 15, 2003

That's more or less what every parking lot in Portland looks like.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
They're all green with painted bumpers too. Awesome, hilarious.

I HATE PINK BIKES
Feb 15, 2012
Welp, solid yellow engine light came on at 80mph on the highway tonight. (bugeye wrx wagon) I suppose the first thing to do is take it to a mechanic to get the code pulled?

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
You can have it pulled for free at advance auto or autozone. You can also get a bluetooth obd2 reader for less than $10 online and use torque

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

CharlesM posted:

They're all green with painted bumpers too. Awesome, hilarious.
The worst Subaru look.

I HATE PINK BIKES posted:

Welp, solid yellow engine light came on at 80mph on the highway tonight. (bugeye wrx wagon) I suppose the first thing to do is take it to a mechanic to get the code pulled?

Autozone and competitors will pull the code(s) for free so do that.

Farking Bastage
Sep 22, 2007

Who dey think gonna beat dem Bengos!
While you can't use ROmRaider to push maps to it, you can read DTC codes with the 10$ ebay USB readers
http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-OBD2-OB...=item3ccf4804d5

c355n4
Jan 3, 2007

I'll take all four.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

BRB, will take pic of my driveway

I HATE PINK BIKES
Feb 15, 2012

dyne posted:

You can have it pulled for free at advance auto or autozone. You can also get a bluetooth obd2 reader for less than $10 online and use torque

Totally TWISTED posted:

Autozone and competitors will pull the code(s) for free so do that.

Thanks, but neither of those exist here in Scotland and also I don't have a smartphone. I guess the car's fine to drive for the next few days while I wait for an OBD2 reader arrive from Amazon?

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I HATE PINK BIKES posted:

Thanks, but neither of those exist here in Scotland and also I don't have a smartphone. I guess the car's fine to drive for the next few days while I wait for an OBD2 reader arrive from Amazon?

Yea as long as it doesn't blink.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Found a sweet dirt road near me to splash through the puddles on. It also had a field full of mud for donuts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Decided to really listen to all the rattles, whines and squeaks the '99 Forester makes last night. Barely audible over the transmission whine (pretty sure that one's an input bearing) was what sounded like a distant helicopter, seemed to be coming from the center tunnel. Am I correct in thinking this means the U-joints are toast and it's new prop-shaft time or is there something else it could be? There's a ton of slop in the drivetrain from presumably completely worn bushings throughout the car as well.