Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

XIII posted:

The ES redesign is out. I think I like it. I'm too busy trying to adjust. CHANGE SCARES ME
Weird, they said in the beta forum it would be 4/20 :420:

Honestly I like it but there are some problems they really need to fix like the download manager taking over for the stock downloader and the text editor being unusable without margins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

LastInLine posted:

Weird, they said in the beta forum it would be 4/20 :420:

Honestly I like it but there are some problems they really need to fix like the download manager taking over for the stock downloader and the text editor being unusable without margins.

Wait, what's this? I have ES installed at the moment and I sure as hell don't want that, do I need to disable automatic updates so I don't get hit with the new one?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rolleyes posted:

Wait, what's this? I have ES installed at the moment and I sure as hell don't want that, do I need to disable automatic updates so I don't get hit with the new one?
Hmm, difficult to explain without you seeing it but basically when a download is initiated (which seems to take forever) you'll get a notification and download screen from ES rather than the native one. There's an option to disable that which was added in the last beta but I can confirm that it doesn't work and the ES download manager takes over regardless of the setting.

The devs are actively working on it and it's on their bug list but I have no idea if it was fixed for the Play Store release though they promised it would be.

Edit: It was my understanding that v3 would be a different market ID from the old one so you shouldn't need to do anything if you don't want to move. Now that I look at the Play Store I can see that is not the case.

ClassActionFursuit fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Apr 18, 2013

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Alright, thanks for the info - I've disabled automatic updates for ES for now.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

rolleyes posted:

Alright, thanks for the info - I've disabled automatic updates for ES for now.
It requires new permissions so it won't update automatically anyway. In a brief attempt the Disable Download Manager (in the Settings) seems to be functional.

revolther
May 27, 2008

AppleCobbler posted:

God forbid they find out that my mom wants to have me and my girlfriend over for dinner sometime next week! :ohdear:

I think people have this weird idea like there's a room of people in Facebook personally reading all of your precious data. It's just some keyword algorithms that go in one end and out another. If you're paranoid about this kind of stuff then use carrier pigeons cuz there's no such thing as a dumb pipe anymore. Your tv is data mining your viewing habits, your computer is data mining your browsing habits, and your email and text messaging is data mining your communication habits.
Since you didn't address what I was talking about and may not be informed; like all other large websites Facebook's CMS has privileged accounts, who can see just about every timeline/wall post whether active/hidden or deleted. Human resources departments at large companies and state/county departments are given these privileged accounts.

If you've ever been to a job interview at a tech company, that interviewer has potentially/usually seen every stupid in-joke on your wall, all the drama with your ex five years ago, EVERYTHING you/someone didn't have the sense to keep off of your facebook. When a company gives that level of access to ANYONE with a hiring department willy-nilly, you shouldn't give them access to your SMS history, even if you are the most straight-laced square individual in the world.

So no, adsense and actual data mining isn't done by a person in a room (duh), but I personally know a gaggle of people who work at the county DHS and various other offices that sit around spying on "baby's-daddies-girlfriends facebook's" and pulling high school friends mugshots then emailing them around.

In an age where law enforcement doesn't need a warrant to track you via cell-gps, private security firms (wackenhut) can monitor your emails/texts/correspondence simply for being on property they patrol, and third party corporations are throwing billions at legislature to increase their control and ownership of your data, maybe you shouldn't give away your last somewhat legal bit of privacy to a company with no qualms about letting just about anybody have unfettered access to it.

Or not, whatever, chatheads definitely isn't a game changer or anything different from other notification managing apps.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Thank god I've never, ever given a poo poo about facebook. And I joined when it was still a thing only college students could join with a valid college email. Ive literally never changed anything or posted anything since that day I signed up. So loving stupid, I've never understood the appeal, and now I just have 5,000 more reasons to hate them.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Gozinbulx posted:

Thank god I've never, ever given a poo poo about facebook. And I joined when it was still a thing only college students could join with a valid college email. Ive literally never changed anything or posted anything since that day I signed up. So loving stupid, I've never understood the appeal, and now I just have 5,000 more reasons to hate them.

So you were into facebok before it was cool and hating facebook before it was cool?

Cool.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Anyone use the official imgur beta app? Photos I upload don't appear anywhere that I can find.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

revolther posted:

Human resources departments at large companies and state/county departments are given these privileged accounts.
You're gonna have to provide some proof for HR departments everywhere having moles, especially considering Facebook says that under Federal law they can't disclose user content to a non-governmental agency even if they got a subpoena or court order. The Stored Communication Act prohibits them from voluntarily handing the data over, either.

There's quite a few cases out there where private parties have tried to gain access through the legal system to Facebook data, and Facebook successfully pushed back.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

revolther posted:

Since you didn't address what I was talking about and may not be informed; like all other large websites Facebook's CMS has privileged accounts, who can see just about every timeline/wall post whether active/hidden or deleted. Human resources departments at large companies and state/county departments are given these privileged accounts.

If you've ever been to a job interview at a tech company, that interviewer has potentially/usually seen every stupid in-joke on your wall, all the drama with your ex five years ago, EVERYTHING you/someone didn't have the sense to keep off of your facebook. When a company gives that level of access to ANYONE with a hiring department willy-nilly, you shouldn't give them access to your SMS history, even if you are the most straight-laced square individual in the world.

I don't see anything about this in their Data Use Policy. As a stretch, I see

quote:

Service Providers
We give your information to the people and companies that help us provide, understand and improve the services we offer. For example, we may use outside vendors to help host our website, serve photos and videos, process payments, analyze data, conduct and publish research, measure the effectiveness of ads, or provide search results. In some cases we provide the service jointly with another company, such as the Facebook Marketplace. In all of these cases our partners must agree to only use your information consistent with the agreement we enter into with them, as well as this Data Use Policy.

Going against this would seem to open them up to a pretty big lawsuit. I mean, I'm not a lawyer so maybe I'm wrong. But I don't see it.

Handing it over to the government, on the other hand, I can see.

quote:

Responding to legal requests and preventing harm
We may access, preserve and share your information in response to a legal request (like a search warrant, court order or subpoena) if we have a good faith belief that the law requires us to do so. This may include responding to legal requests from jurisdictions outside of the United States where we have a good faith belief that the response is required by law in that jurisdiction, affects users in that jurisdiction, and is consistent with internationally recognized standards. We may also access, preserve and share information when we have a good faith belief it is necessary to: detect, prevent and address fraud and other illegal activity; to protect ourselves, you and others, including as part of investigations; and to prevent death or imminent bodily harm. Information we receive about you, including financial transaction data related to purchases made with Facebook Credits, may be accessed, processed and retained for an extended period of time when it is the subject of a legal request or obligation, governmental investigation, or investigations concerning possible violations of our terms or policies, or otherwise to prevent harm. We also may retain information from accounts disabled for violations of our terms for at least a year to prevent repeat abuse or other violations of our terms.

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog

revolther posted:

So no, adsense and actual data mining isn't done by a person in a room (duh), but I personally know a gaggle of people who work at the county DHS and various other offices that sit around spying on "baby's-daddies-girlfriends facebook's" and pulling high school friends mugshots then emailing them around.

In an age where law enforcement doesn't need a warrant to track you via cell-gps, private security firms (wackenhut) can monitor your emails/texts/correspondence simply for being on property they patrol, and third party corporations are throwing billions at legislature to increase their control and ownership of your data, maybe you shouldn't give away your last somewhat legal bit of privacy to a company with no qualms about letting just about anybody have unfettered access to it.

Or not, whatever, chatheads definitely isn't a game changer or anything different from other notification managing apps.

Unless you can point to some proof that HR departments are given mega logins, I can only assume you're smoking crack. Employers can go and look at what is posted publicly on your wall, sure, as lovely as that is in my opinion. But the idea that if I was a HR rep, I can just pick up the phone to Zuckerberg and say "hi, what's the superuser login?" is ridiculous.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

dirtyfrog posted:

Unless you can point to some proof that HR departments are given mega logins, I can only assume you're smoking crack. Employers can go and look at what is posted publicly on your wall, sure, as lovely as that is in my opinion. But the idea that if I was a HR rep, I can just pick up the phone to Zuckerberg and say "hi, what's the superuser login?" is ridiculous.
They can also ask for your password? Although a few states have made that illegal

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

myron cope posted:

They can also ask for your password? Although a few states have made that illegal

Of course they can ask for your password. At which point any sensible person gets up and walks out of the interview.

revolther
May 27, 2008
In response to legal threats and preventing harm, "We may also access, preserve and share information when we have a good faith belief it is necessary to: detect, prevent and address fraud and other illegal activity; to protect ourselves, you and others, including as part of investigations;"

Lying to employers where an NDA is part of the application process (to even get in the door) is fraud and Facebook shares your information to prevent fraud and illegal activity, to protect themselves and others.

Does your corner pharmacy have an HR account, no; does HP, IBM, or Symantec, yeah. Does every counties office and every social worker have one no; big cities and technologically integrated offices? More so every day.

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

revolther posted:

In response to legal threats and preventing harm, "We may also access, preserve and share information when we have a good faith belief it is necessary to: detect, prevent and address fraud and other illegal activity; to protect ourselves, you and others, including as part of investigations;"

Lying to employers where an NDA is part of the application process (to even get in the door) is fraud and Facebook shares your information to prevent fraud and illegal activity, to protect themselves and others.

Does your corner pharmacy have an HR account, no; does HP, IBM, or Symantec, yeah. Does every counties office and every social worker have one no; big cities and technologically integrated offices? More so every day.

Do you have any other evidence for this, or are you just talking out of your rear end by taking a tiny quote out of context?

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

This is the biggest crock of poo poo I've ever read. Ordinarily I'd be perfectly happy to leave you to spout your paranoia without calling you out on it, but I'm worried people with less knowledge of the situation might actually believe you.

What you suggest violates not just Facebook's own privacy policy but privacy law, and would be corporate suicide.

There's a reason you haven't presented any evidence to back up your ridiculous claims, and that's because there isn't any. Not because Facebook have amazing censorship powers, but because

This.

Does.

Not.

Happen.

AppleCobbler
Feb 8, 2003
remember that time I was just chilling out and definitely not having a massive meltdown? right guys? guys??? :laugh:

revolther posted:

Why would HP or Symantec have higher privilege to snoop on your social media than 'my local pharmacy', and why would a 'big city' have more access to Facebook's so-called superuser accounts? This is all a bunch of horse poo poo and I have yet to see a shred of evidence of this happening. Plenty of organizations will google your name and peruse your social media accounts, but only what's public or cached on public servers online.

Those first two paragraphs don't even make any sense. Facebook doesn't give a gently caress if you violate your company's NDA and they aren't going to get in between you and your company over it without a court order. The only 'fraud' they are interested in preventing is people luring 15yr olds to sexually assault them with fake accounts.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What is a good app for an Asus Transformer to connect to a Cisco VPN?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Furthermore I am sure a lot of HR lawyers would advise against looking at a candidate's Facebook profile, because you might find out they are pregnant or have cancer or are old, and then if you don't hire them they can sue you for discrimination.

There is a reason interviews are structured so that anything even tangential to these sorts of topics never comes up.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

This isn't limited to Android apps necessarily, but having an Android app for such a service is necessary for me:

I like Evernote, but I hate that you cannot draw in-line sketches. I'm forced to instead draw one in Paint and attach it. I know Skitch exists, but it seems to be designed for a different purpose than what I'm looking for (also you can't insert Skitch items in-line with normal Evernote notes).

I basically want something exactly like Evernote, but can allow for drawing things in-line. Is there a note-taking software that can do this? I think OneNote can, but I don't want to use it for a number of reasons (its tagging system is a total mess, for one).

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

revolther posted:

Does your massive tinfoil hat not interfere with your wifi?

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Lovie Unsmith posted:

What is a good app for an Asus Transformer to connect to a Cisco VPN?

What version of Android does it have?

Also, what kind of Cisco VPN? Cisco IPSEC or Cisco Anyconnect?

If you are 4.0 or higher, you can connect to Cisco IPSEC using android's built in vpn client. If you need Anyconnect, there is a cisco app on the play store for it.

If you are on an older version of Android, you will need to be rooted to us any kind of VPN client for cisco.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Lowen SoDium posted:

What version of Android does it have?

Also, what kind of Cisco VPN? Cisco IPSEC or Cisco Anyconnect?

If you are 4.0 or higher, you can connect to Cisco IPSEC using android's built in vpn client. If you need Anyconnect, there is a cisco app on the play store for it.

If you are on an older version of Android, you will need to be rooted to us any kind of VPN client for cisco.

I won't even see the tablets until I'm onsite tomorrow, but I believe they are new purchases so the OS should be recent. They're connecting to a Cisco ASA, so I presume IPSec.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

So, I installed Tiny Tiny RSS on my server.

It's a pretty great rss reader for use on my computer. It's like if Google had worked on Reader and concentrated on making it feature-ful for power users.

The Android app from the main dev of Tiny Tiny RSS is pretty good. The latest beta of gReader added support for ttrss and so far I'm thinking its even better than the "official" one.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Is there an app like Goodreads for movie-tracking?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I have an APW Facebook widget, and occasionally when I tap on something in the feed, the Facebook app says there was a problem with the connection, even though my data is fine (or I'm on wifi). If I go to that person's page I'm the app, I can see the post just fine. Is this just a bug?

Malkar
Aug 19, 2010

Taste the cloud

Drunk Tomato posted:

Is there an app like Goodreads for movie-tracking?

Flixster? Don't know how good the android app is.

vote_no
Nov 22, 2005

The rush is on.

Thermopyle posted:

So, I installed Tiny Tiny RSS on my server.

It's a pretty great rss reader for use on my computer. It's like if Google had worked on Reader and concentrated on making it feature-ful for power users.

The Android app from the main dev of Tiny Tiny RSS is pretty good. The latest beta of gReader added support for ttrss and so far I'm thinking its even better than the "official" one.

Really, it's been said a lot, but the features of TTRSS and how easy it is to run make me wish Google Reader had gone under years ago. I am so happy to be able to filter stuff arbitrarily, assign labels and scores, or delete altogether.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Does anyone use PocketCasts and listen to Astronomy Cast? I just realized last night that I hadn't heard any new episodes since I switched back to PocketCasts (at least), so I double checked, and I do have it subscribed, but the app thinks there haven't been any new episodes since February 14th. Any idea why this is?

The Gadfly
Sep 23, 2012

hooah posted:

Does anyone use PocketCasts and listen to Astronomy Cast? I just realized last night that I hadn't heard any new episodes since I switched back to PocketCasts (at least), so I double checked, and I do have it subscribed, but the app thinks there haven't been any new episodes since February 14th. Any idea why this is?

Did you get it from the Amazon app store? If so, Pocketcasts removed their app from there for some stupid reason. Everyone who got it through Amazon has been blocked from their servers even if you still have the app installed. I uninstalled a while ago and switched to another podcast app.

Sendo
Jul 26, 2011

The Gadfly posted:

Did you get it from the Amazon app store? If so, Pocketcasts removed their app from there for some stupid reason. Everyone who got it through Amazon has been blocked from their servers even if you still have the app installed. I uninstalled a while ago and switched to another podcast app.

They did it because Amazon nearly killed them as a company when they gave away their app for free, if you bought it from Amazon before it was removed you can buy it on the play store and they will refund it.

I don't think they are blocking anyone either, unless the major 4.0 update changed too much preventing really old versions from working.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I got it from the Play Store a couple years ago, and recently started using it again after the Google Reader announcement.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Does anybody know of a wallpaper switcher that can have a schedule applied? I like having a photo of a random sassy tattooed dame on my homescreen, but don't really want to have that out and exposed while I'm in the office. My current solution is to use Multipicture LIve Wallpaper and have with 4 desktops. 2 of those have pull a random photo from the NSFW folder on my phone and the other 2 are set to static images that are dark abstract things.

I've got tasker but used it mostly to silence my ringer based upon calendar entries and always got confused and gave up when trying to do bigger projects. So if there are no known options I might head to the tasker thread to see if I can find some magic there.

Edit: I might have found the solution. I'm going to give Personal Wallpaper Changer a shot https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pwall

highme fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Apr 20, 2013

Xarb
Nov 26, 2000

Not happy.

hooah posted:

I had the same problem with a different podcast. Since all the feeds are checked by their server it got stuck. I would email or message them on twitter about it, they fixed it for my podcast after a few days.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Xarb posted:

I had the same problem with a different podcast. Since all the feeds are checked by their server it got stuck. I would email or message them on twitter about it, they fixed it for my podcast after a few days.

I have emailed, since in the past the developer(s) have been very responsive, I was just curious if anyone else had run across this problem and knew a solution.

Eta: now Science Friday's episodes from today aren't downloading.

hooah fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Apr 20, 2013

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
I am looking for an app that does the following:

It is like Evernote in that I can write notes, but with templates. Like I need to do notes on stuff a couple of times a day, but it is always the same structure of things (Two numbers from 1-10, date, location and time and a comment).
I know I can just put this into a regular note but this would be more convenient.

edit: I have an android cellphone, a motorola pro plus. I don't know what android version that is or what I need as this will be the first "app" I install. I am too lazy to crack the firmware or something like that though

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 20, 2013

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
How's Poweramp (or any other music program) as far as managing playlists and crossfading tracks? I'm currently using google music, which is fine but it's not super simple wrt managing a playlist.

Specifically: I listen to this one playlist of 300 something songs for my workout. I basically just add any album that I want to listen to, but this ends up adding intros, outros, slow interludes, etc. I want to remove these when they appear on the list, but to remove them from playlist I have to change screens from what's playing now to the playlist screen and manually scroll through the list to find it and remove it. This really isn't a huge deal (as it's pretty easy to just skip the song), so I guess I'm just being super picky. But it'd be nice.

Also crossfade ability would be awesome as often there is too much silence between tracks. (There's no room for silence while I'm getting swole. I need to be aurally assaulted at all times.)

Extra points if I can use the music that I download from google music because it's just so convenient. I crave convenience.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

hooah posted:

I have emailed, since in the past the developer(s) have been very responsive, I was just curious if anyone else had run across this problem and knew a solution.

Eta: now Science Friday's episodes from today aren't downloading.

I haven't had that issue but have you tried clearing the app's data? Now that it syncs with an account it's much easier to restore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Boner Slam posted:

I am looking for an app that does the following:

It is like Evernote in that I can write notes, but with templates. Like I need to do notes on stuff a couple of times a day, but it is always the same structure of things (Two numbers from 1-10, date, location and time and a comment).
I know I can just put this into a regular note but this would be more convenient.

edit: I have an android cellphone, a motorola pro plus. I don't know what android version that is or what I need as this will be the first "app" I install. I am too lazy to crack the firmware or something like that though

Check out KustomNote. You'll have to jump into a browser to create your note but this should do what you need.

Smart Keyboard Pro might work with something like SimpleNote or another text editor.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like there is a good text expansion app for Android.

• Locked thread