Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Cakefool posted:

You want it to connect to your phone for internet but you don't have tethering? The nexus 7 sounds like the best idea, if you can generate a WiFi hotspot you can tether. I don't believe carriers can detect one android device tethering through another but I might be wrong.
He wants to build a second screen for his phone, not a separate device. So he wouldn't need tethering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Tunga posted:

He wants to build a second screen for his phone, not a separate device. So he wouldn't need tethering.

This would be the easy way to do it, mostly so I can hop into my car, plug in my phone, and be on my way instead of goofing around with the wifi settings and hoping I don't accidentally eat all my data in a month.

I've been looking at seeing if RaspberryPi can be loaded with JellyBean, and like I said, I've been looking at using my little brother's old Droid Incredible2's board, but I haven't tried taking it apart to see if I can solder a different screen onto its board, and I doubt that its hardware would be able to accelerate a larger screen very well (if that's a factor like it is with PC's :v:)

I really wish I had more know-how into developing something like this so I can get rich and sell it to people :v:

Gozinbulx posted:

If you root/put a custom rom on your phone (Cyanogen for instance) you should be able to enable tethering. And no, you're carrier won't notice.

One thing I'm not sure about is getting GPS on it, I guess for that a full-on tablet with it already built in is needed.

As for small, self contained Android machines these are pretty cool.
I probably will do this and sell my Kindle so I can get a Nexus 7 if I can't figure out how to do this by June, great points dude (and Cakefool, too)

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 11, 2013

Ozmodiar
Sep 25, 2003

Entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Jigoku San posted:

I have the dock, but I can't say I've seen the problem. With rotation locked mine will rotate on the dock, but it rotates back and locks to portrait when I pick it up. Does re-seating it in the dock and taking it off again help? It might not be getting the "off-dock" signal for some reason.

Well, crap. Re-seating it doesn't seem to help. Just restarting.

Anyone else have other thoughts/suggestions?

EDIT:
I forgot I had bought Beautiful Widgets forever ago and there is a rotation lock widget. By toggling THIS widget, the system, obeys the rotate setting...but if I toggle it from the top right pull down shade, it does NOT obey the setting. Very weird.

EDIT 2:
Never mind. BW didn't work either. I had to get Ultimate Rotation Control, which can override the system and force it to lock.

Ozmodiar fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 13, 2013

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Nexus 10 is starting to feel more and more like a Windows 95 version of Android. Newer Chrome versions have migitated the crashing issues somewhat, altough if wifi is on, the tablet sometimes crashes repeatedly if it leaves the current wifi network's radius.

Also it gets slower and laggier after a couple of days uptime. Just had to restart it again because of lovely responsiveness and constant loading indicators after 6 days of use. I'm using the same apps as with my phone: Nova Launcher, Awful Betamax, gReader, Tapatalk, Chrome etc.

Never seen a week's uptime with Nexus 10. It might be doable if I just let the tablet sit unused, but even then I really doubt you can push this piece of crap that far. Of course there are no real alternatives, the product works most of the time with and the price point is sweet, but I expected more from Google's flagship product :bang:

Ihmemies fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 13, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Ihmemies posted:

Nexus 10 is starting to feel more and more like a Windows 95 version of Android. Newer Chrome versions have migitated the crashing issues somewhat, altough if wifi is on, the tablet sometimes crashes repeatedly if it leaves the current wifi network's radius.

Also it gets slower and laggier after a couple of days uptime. Just had to restart it again because of lovely responsiveness and constant loading indicators after 6 days of use. I'm using the same apps as with my phone: Nova Launcher, Awful Betamax, gReader, Tapatalk, Chrome etc.

Never seen a week's uptime with Nexus 10. It might be doable if I just let the tablet sit unused, but even then I really doubt you can push this piece of crap that far. Of course there are no real alternatives and the price point is sweet, but I expected more from Google's flagship product :bang:
Something's wrong with yours. I never have to reboot mine. I don't use Nova Launcher or gReader or Tapatalk, so maybe it's one of those? I even use Currents, which everyone seems to think is a piece of trash but it works just fine. I had a couple of reboots (in Chrome) after I first got it, but haven't had any since the last update. Mine is at ~360 hours of runtime right now and it only shut off because my girlfriend ran down the battery playing World of Goo. It looks like you got it not too long ago. Can you still exchange it?

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Something's wrong with yours. I never have to reboot mine. I don't use Nova Launcher or gReader or Tapatalk, so maybe it's one of those? I even use Currents, which everyone seems to think is a piece of trash but it works just fine. I had a couple of reboots (in Chrome) after I first got it, but haven't had any since the last update. Mine is at ~360 hours of runtime right now and it only shut off because my girlfriend ran down the battery playing World of Goo. It looks like you got it not too long ago. Can you still exchange it?

It has most of the warranty left, but since I'm not sure if it's a software or hardware problem I'm not too eager yet to send it from Finland to Germany and wait for it to come back - the trip would take weeks. I'm hoping the issues will get fixed with software upgrades and OS upgrades like Android 5.0 later this year.

If not, well

*At this point my fire alarm goes off. Seems I turned the stove's power setting to wrong direction after boiling started. Hopefully I didn't wake up too many people!*

... I can always later send the tablet back and hope it was some kind of obscure hardware problem instead.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Ihmemies posted:

*At this point my fire alarm goes off. Seems I turned the stove's power setting to wrong direction after boiling started. Hopefully I didn't wake up too many people!*

... I can always later send the tablet back and hope it was some kind of obscure hardware problem instead.

TBH dude, sounds like it's all you.

I have had a perfect experience with mine, and I couldn't be happier. The only time I've turned mine off at all was on an airplane. No slowdown, no crashes, really no problems. I don't know if it matters that I don't have an android phone and I'm only using tablet apps, or that I just don't run the apps that are making yours lovely, but the thing is pretty drat solid and is a lot better than my old TF101 by a mile.

Axim
Dec 21, 2004

sheeeeeeeeit

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I think Chameleon Launcher should work for that. I tried using it, but got bored trying to set it up.

Thanks! This is really good!

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Ihmemies posted:

Not using a Nexus 10, but I had a spate of crashes / slowness with a similar app mix. I never quite pinned it down to one thing, but getting rid of Nova Launcher seemed to help.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

outlier posted:

Not using a Nexus 10, but I had a spate of crashes / slowness with a similar app mix. I never quite pinned it down to one thing, but getting rid of Nova Launcher seemed to help.

Same here, but on my GNex. Switched from Apex to Nova seemed to help. But, I still seem to have a massive memory leak somewhere because after 5 or 6 hours of uptime I HAVE to restart my phone because I'm showing 30megs or less memory and everything is restarting constantly.

Edit: but, my 7 is almost app for app the exact same setup and is fine.

rndm
Aug 31, 2001

:dukedog:
What would be the cheapest way to replace the glass screen on a Nexus 7? My son dropped his and shattered the lower part of the screen. It still turns on but it can't be used because the screen is cracked.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

rndm posted:

What would be the cheapest way to replace the glass screen on a Nexus 7? My son dropped his and shattered the lower part of the screen. It still turns on but it can't be used because the screen is cracked.

When did you buy it and on what credit card?

Most majors cards offer you accidental damage protection for a year on electronics. Mine does, and I used it to replace my Nexus7 when it broke.

rndm
Aug 31, 2001

:dukedog:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

When did you buy it and on what credit card?

Most majors cards offer you accidental damage protection for a year on electronics. Mine does, and I used it to replace my Nexus7 when it broke.

Really? I bought it with a Wells Fargo Visa Credit Card. I bought the tablets on 12/8/12.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

rndm posted:

Really? I bought it with a Wells Fargo Visa Credit Card. I bought the tablets on 12/8/12.

I dunno, give them a call. All of my cards offer it, but I don't have that one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Accidental damage/theft is usually only 90 days (that's what it is on American Express.) Warranty extension is usually by a year.

At any rate, broken display Nexus 7s usually aren't "worth" fixing. The display is bonded to the digitizer/glass and a replacement display/glass combo will cost as much as a used one and only like $40 less than a new one.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I might be able to snag a 32GB Wifi Nexus 7 for $210. Should I pick it up or just wait to see what I/O might bring?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

I might be able to snag a 32GB Wifi Nexus 7 for $210. Should I pick it up or just wait to see what I/O might bring?

Personally, I would wait. Even if the screen isn't upgraded to 1080p (it should) the new SoC will be lightyears ahead of Tegra 3.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Personally, I would wait. Even if the screen isn't upgraded to 1080p (it should) the new SoC will be lightyears ahead of Tegra 3.

I'm thinking of doing this...It's mostly the Tegra 3 that's making me think I should wait. The Tegra devices don't seem to have a very long "honeymoon" period.

Any guesses as to what the next SoC would be?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

What is a good app for an Asus Transformer to connect to a Cisco VPN?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Lovie Unsmith posted:

What is a good app for an Asus Transformer to connect to a Cisco VPN?
Isn't there a Cisco AnyConnect client?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Isn't there a Cisco AnyConnect client?

There's this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.cisco.anyconnect.vpn.android.avf&feature=search_result

But it says:
COMPATIBLE DEVICES:
Android 4.X, with the following exceptions:
- ASUS Transformer TF-201 < 4.0.3

I don't know exactly which model it is, I won't until tomorrow morning.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
Didn't the whole transformer line get upgraded to Jelly Bean, or was the TF101 excluded?

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

bull3964 posted:

I hope the form factor stays the same so I can use the same case...

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Zarkov Cortez posted:

I hope the form factor stays the same so I can use the same case...
It won't stay "exactly" the same but luckily most people have moko's and such on their Nexus 7's and those can easily accommodate a slight change in dimensions compared to a TPU or hard case for a cell phone which straight up wouldn't fit.

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Didn't the whole transformer line get upgraded to Jelly Bean, or was the TF101 excluded?
My TF201 did.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

ThermoPhysical posted:

I'm thinking of doing this...It's mostly the Tegra 3 that's making me think I should wait. The Tegra devices don't seem to have a very long "honeymoon" period.

Any guesses as to what the next SoC would be?

Bettin money is on the S4 Pro.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

ThermoPhysical posted:

Depends on what you want to do with it. I got a decent deal on a refurb 16GB Nexus 7 and it does everything I will want a tablet to do for the foreseeable future (replacing my laptop for forums, email and IRC when away from my desk at home or out on the road). If you want play games or do stuff that runs better on new chips then wait.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Honestly, it was surprising that the OG TF101 Transformer even got Ice Cream Sandwich, let alone Jelly Bean.

Plasmafountain
Jun 17, 2008

Similar to Gozinbulx, I ordered a "miscellaneous" chinese tablet and promised a review, so here it is.

The tablet I ordered was from Novatech, a PC components company based near Southampton in the UK that have been pretty good to me in the past. The tablet I ordered was an "@Tab 7 Dual Core" for about £90 (or $135) with overnight shipping because I was going to Norway in the next couple of days and wanted to take it with me.

@Tab appears to be a made up brand name to sell a bunch of chinese-made tablets (probably to order) imported by a welsh electronics components firm called KMS electronics - the @tab website is apparently a masked subdomain of the KMS site and the company registration number is the same.

Anyway. On to the device itself.

The Tablet

You can see the specs in the link above - basically a 1.6ghz dual core, 1gb of ram and 16gb of onboard storage, coupled with a 800x480 7" display. Not setting the world on fire but not too terrible either. It looks average. Theres no getting away from the fact that its a budget device - theres no frills here, just a good solid appearance with no flourishes.

I mainly got this tablet for reading the internet (SA/Reddit/A tonne of RSS feeds) and my university notes/study guides/papers (mainly a mixture of PDF and powerpoints) and it does this absolutely fine alongside the normal bullshit (facebook/twitter etc). The screen isnt the greatest but since I dont really go in for mobile gaming I'm not that fussed - watching The Avengers on the plane was still OK.

Battery life doing nothing too strenuous with WIFI on is around six hours, but I do have to say that the battery is the downside of this device. The battery indicator varies wildly and doesnt account for the device being on charge when turned off.

Benchmarking

According to Antutu the tablet uses a dual core Rockchip RK3066 system on a chip and Mali 400 graphics architecture. Final score was 12186 which puts it ahead of some other devices but I suspect that its helped out by rendering at a lower resolution compared to the others.

Compared to a Nexus 7:

Conclusion

The tablet has a couple of downsides and is obviously inferior to the Nexus 7 - but for the money its still pretty good and does exactly what I need it to do. Since the Nexus 7 in the UK would cost roughly twice as much I'm pretty happy with paying what I paid for this tablet in spite of the reduced screen resolution.

Chinese tablets: :getin:

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Good on ya. I wrote a review of my tablet too for another site. I may post it here.

Traxxus
Jul 13, 2003

WWJD - What Would Jack Do?
Do people dog on the tegra 3 cause it's bad or just long in the tooth? I just bought my first tablet, 10.1' Transformer Infinity. Never realized how far tablets had come, glad I decided against getting a netbook. Didn't need a full fledged laptop, tablet is a good compromise.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Traxxus posted:

Do people dog on the tegra 3 cause it's bad or just long in the tooth? I just bought my first tablet, 10.1' Transformer Infinity. Never realized how far tablets had come, glad I decided against getting a netbook. Didn't need a full fledged laptop, tablet is a good compromise.
Basically every Tegra release has managed to be a disappointment and Nvidia is terrible about supporting it, making it even worse. The Tegra 3 is probably the least bad in that regard, for what it's worth.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Cross posting from the app thread:

So, lately when I try to update certain apps (Instagram, Chrome Beta, and a few others) I get an "insufficient storage available" error. But, the thing is that I have 6 gigs of storage left and 99% of my apps update fine. I can also install basically any app that I want. What gives?

Splendiferous
May 7, 2006

wah dee dah
Hey guys, so I was poking around in my apartment the other day and I found a Nook. I think it's the simplest version--the Touch. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to work. But I so badly want it to.

It has no SD card and displays "Rooted Forever" on the screen. Is this unfixable? Is it just because there's no SD card in the slot? Please keep in mind I have no idea how to use a Nook :confused:

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Splendiferous posted:

Hey guys, so I was poking around in my apartment the other day and I found a Nook. I think it's the simplest version--the Touch. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to work. But I so badly want it to.

It has no SD card and displays "Rooted Forever" on the screen. Is this unfixable? Is it just because there's no SD card in the slot? Please keep in mind I have no idea how to use a Nook :confused:

I know you can factory reset the Nook "simple touch" (e-ink sans LCD) pretty easily. Just shut it down fully and wait a few seconds. Then start it up, and as soon as the screen does its initial flash you must hold down the face buttons on the bottom left and bottom right simultaneously until it prompts you to perform a factory reset. Press the 'n' button at the bottom middle of the face to say yes to resetting, it'll do a factory reset and be fresh out the box as far as software goes. The nook is acting up because something went wrong during or after the rooting process.

There are at least a couple of system updates a newly-reset NST will get from the manufacturer, and I think they can interfere with hacked or rooted settings if they aren't installed beforehand. The NST was the only device I ever bothered to root, since it was the only e-ink tablet out there and the prospect of reading ebooks/websites/forums in proper sunlight was appealing. I found it to ultimately be pretty limiting due to tweaks the manufacturer applied to the touch-related aspects of the underlying OS (some kind of inertia or momentum inhibition to prevent screen blur from dragging, also the core OS is pretty out of date in general). You can get the play store up, do basic stuff like kindle, board games, basic text reading and simple web browsing via third party browsers.

I really wouldn't recommend it for more than either pure stock usage, or rooted as a bastardized e-ink kindle with bonus features. I ended up factory resetting it because of its limitations and passed it on to someone for normal use (I received a kindle keyboard as a gift). Check the NST section of nookdevs.com for more details if you want to use it as a weird basic tablet. Again, I'm not the kind of guy to root and flash and play computer janitor on mobile devices, so best of luck if you find a way to make it worthwhile, I'm not much help.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I've had my N10 for maybe a month or two now. I've started to use it more and more, unlocked it and rooted it of course.

However suddenly it takes forever to load things up. I thought it was because I had it filled too much with files but they've been deleted and it's still slower than balls and things are acting all haywire.

Is this still happening because I inadvertantly filled it too full of movies? I remember people talking about it a while ago that when you overfilled things sometimes it would act strangely.

Do I have to reformat it to get it back to it's speedy self?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I keep hearing talk about "tablet mode" and how Paranoid Android and other custom ROMs for phones can move the soft buttons and clock around to make it look more like a tablet.

Is my Nexus 10 supposed to have this? Besides the dual pane notification/quick settings thing, it looks identical to the setup on my Nexus 4.

z06ck
Dec 22, 2010

Radbot posted:

I keep hearing talk about "tablet mode" and how Paranoid Android and other custom ROMs for phones can move the soft buttons and clock around to make it look more like a tablet.

Is my Nexus 10 supposed to have this? Besides the dual pane notification/quick settings thing, it looks identical to the setup on my Nexus 4.

I'm not sure about the Nexus 10 but I can confirm on the Nexus 7 you can shift DPI settings for each app and whole ui from their settings. It has become extremely stable since the last release, when the next one comes out I won't be updating because I'm happy where it's at now. So yes, you can fully customize your Nav bar to tablet mode and have them all on the bottom left while in "landscape" mode.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
FYI, they're selling the Nook HD+ for $149 in NY, IL, MA at select stores

http://slickdeals.net/f/5990848-Nook-HD-Tablet-149-select-stores-in-NY-IL-MA-only

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

z06ck posted:

I'm not sure about the Nexus 10 but I can confirm on the Nexus 7 you can shift DPI settings for each app and whole ui from their settings. It has become extremely stable since the last release, when the next one comes out I won't be updating because I'm happy where it's at now. So yes, you can fully customize your Nav bar to tablet mode and have them all on the bottom left while in "landscape" mode.

He means does his stock 10 have tablet mode :confuoot: