Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS

Tritanomalicious posted:

I can accept some made-up/non-traditional names, but people need to understand that people will have to spell/pronounce them. I really, really don't have a problem with you naming your kid Jayden.

Agree completely; people are allowed to name their kids whatever. I think a lot of the hate about names like Brandi/Crystal/Anything-ayden can seem a little bit class-based. But since Jayden is now a real name that lots of people have, it seems crazy dumb to start messing with the spelling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Considering that people have some serious issues with names that have multiple traditional spellings, it's totally stupid. My name is Lindsay--the less common spelling, but just as legitimate as Lindsey. I have a coworker who insists on spelling it Lyndsay, despite having known me for several years, seeing me wear a nametag, and being my friend on facebook.

Lindsay is kind of a weird name, actually, with that silent D in the middle, and the A doesn't seem to do much either. People who speak Spanish as their first language find it particularly hard to figure out the pronunciation from my name tag.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
Since when do people not pronounce the D in Lindsay?

Favorite terrible name has to be "William Williams" at least he can deflect a lot of questions if he just goes by "Bill" but parents probably shouldn't name their kids after a funny idea they had when they were high.

Rino
Apr 2, 2009

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Considering that people have some serious issues with names that have multiple traditional spellings, it's totally stupid. My name is Lindsay--the less common spelling, but just as legitimate as Lindsey. I have a coworker who insists on spelling it Lyndsay, despite having known me for several years, seeing me wear a nametag, and being my friend on facebook.

Lindsay is kind of a weird name, actually, with that silent D in the middle, and the A doesn't seem to do much either. People who speak Spanish as their first language find it particularly hard to figure out the pronunciation from my name tag.
I've seen so many variations of Lindsay/Lindsey it's amazing. Lynzee, Lynsy, Lyndse, Lindzi. I'm sure there's others I'm forgetting.

e: Just noticed my acquaintance had her child recently. Good to see that Drecklyn Xander still made it onto the birth certificate despite the fact people told her the name was literally poo poo.

Rino has a new favorite as of 10:28 on Apr 8, 2013

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Uncle Salty posted:

Agree completely; people are allowed to name their kids whatever. I think a lot of the hate about names like Brandi/Crystal/Anything-ayden can seem a little bit class-based. But since Jayden is now a real name that lots of people have, it seems crazy dumb to start messing with the spelling.

I don't think I make enough to look down on anyone who isn't a hobo and I think the -aiden names are all awful. Maybe it's because I've never run into anyone with that name that wasn't an exceptionally whiny bitch, I dunnow.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Met a lady who named her kid Azchiya. Pronounced "Asia". I don't know how that works.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Kalos posted:

Since when do people not pronounce the D in Lindsay?

I think this is an accent issue. Some accents do pronounce it, some don't.

NewtGoongrich
Jan 21, 2012
I am a shit stain on the face of humanity, I have no compassion, only hatred, bile and lust.

PROUD SHIT STAIN

Myrmidongs posted:

Met a lady who named her kid Azchiya. Pronounced "Asia". I don't know how that works.

I'd pronounce this "rear end Chia". Ch-ch-chia.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Rino posted:

Good to see that Drecklyn Xander still made it onto the birth certificate despite the fact people told her the name was literally poo poo.

Poor Dreck :smith: Hopefully they'll keep things even and name the second child Bilgewater or something.

Sudden Guts Pill
Aug 7, 2009
My mom used to work with a guy who named his kid Lichen. As in, the fungus that grows on tree bark. His other kid was named Tulif. Strangely enough, those kids grew up and eventually met two other unrelated people named Lichen and Tulif. :psyduck:

Would this be a good thread to post about people who have tried to tell you of names that are actually racist myths? A classmate of mine was convinced that her aunt actually met someone who was going to name her child "Pajama" because she saw it in a Sears catalog.

Me: :stare: I think she made that up.
Her: No, she was totally serious, she named her kid "Pajama"!

I meant her aunt made it up, but I'm a passive person and didn't press the matter. :smith:

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
I went to school with a kid named Xander Strange. I really hope he grew up to be a superhero/villain.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

Vomax posted:

I went to school with a kid named Xander Strange. I really hope he grew up to be a superhero/villain.

And I went to school with a Xavier Hazard! Maybe they'll team up.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Met a woman today named Tootsie. She goes by her middle name.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Another special Momma's baby came in today. Phoenix. The mom screamed at him for having to use the bathroom, then grounded his older brother for telling her to stop yelling. That's not necessarily related to the kid's name, but I feel like it might be.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly

bringmyfishback posted:

Another special Momma's baby came in today. Phoenix. The mom screamed at him for having to use the bathroom, then grounded his older brother for telling her to stop yelling. That's not necessarily related to the kid's name, but I feel like it might be.

Phoenix. Named after a place that can feel like hell.

Sounds appropriate to me :haw:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Yesterday I got a fax from a woman with the last name of "Huntsucker"

straylightunity
Dec 20, 2005

Scapegrace.
I heard a mom call her toddler "Jazzelina" at a store yesterday. Poor kid.

LaughMyselfTo
Nov 15, 2012

by XyloJW
Not a terrible name, persay, but my piano teacher was named Clark Kent, and always put a Superman shield next to his signature.

All on Black
Dec 14, 2007

She's not "that Mexican", Mom, she's MY Mexican. And she's...Colombian or something.

LaughMyselfTo posted:

Not a terrible name, persay, but my piano teacher was named Clark Kent, and always put a Superman shield next to his signature.

I dunno, that's pretty lame but it's better than him getting angry whenever someone points out that he has the same name as Superman. It could be worst, at least he doesn't act like Michael Bolton in Office Space.

InEscape
Nov 10, 2006

stuck.

straylightunity posted:

I heard a mom call her toddler "Jazzelina" at a store yesterday. Poor kid.

That is awful but I really hope it's just a cute name for a kid named Jasmine or something. My little cousin's name is Lucy but she's like four and her mom calls her Lulu and Lulubelle and all kinds of pet names, even in public.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

InEscape posted:

That is awful but I really hope it's just a cute name for a kid named Jasmine or something. My little cousin's name is Lucy but she's like four and her mom calls her Lulu and Lulubelle and all kinds of pet names, even in public.

I have a friend who calls one daughter Lulu, and her sister is Bitbit, short for Eizabeth. We used to call my sister Rachel Badachel. Hopefully no one has actually named their daughter Badachel.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

RazorBunny posted:

I have a friend who calls one daughter Lulu, and her sister is Bitbit, short for Eizabeth. We used to call my sister Rachel Badachel. Hopefully no one has actually named their daughter Badachel.

Bodacious :mmmhmm:

Bonefish
Jul 29, 2008
My friend does clerical work at a law firm in Baltimore. He texted me the other day that one of their clients (a lady) has the first name of Menageatrois. That poor lady.

DrHerpington
Dec 20, 2012

;-*
Knew a girl in high school named "Tijuana". Her parents had never been.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

InEscape posted:

I was in high school before I could convince my mom to stop calling me "Linzaloo" in public. GEEZ MOM

CeramicPig
Oct 9, 2012
One of my old customers named his son Jockamo (not sure on spelling since I only ever heard it) but I've heard people use that word in place of calling someone an rear end in a top hat so I feel bad for the kid.
One of my former students name was Sevin. He wore a black, leather jacket all the time.
Another one of my students was named Dyln. I don't know why they took out the vowel but whatever I guess.
Lastly one of my classmates in high school was named Tequila. It was on her school ID so it wasn't just a nickname.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

CeramicPig posted:

One of my old customers named his son Jockamo (not sure on spelling since I only ever heard it) but I've heard people use that word in place of calling someone an rear end in a top hat so I feel bad for the kid.
One of my former students name was Sevin. He wore a black, leather jacket all the time.
Another one of my students was named Dyln. I don't know why they took out the vowel but whatever I guess.
Lastly one of my classmates in high school was named Tequila. It was on her school ID so it wasn't just a nickname.

That's probably just Giacomo which is a really common Italian name.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Vanderdeath posted:

That's probably just Giacomo which is a really common Italian name.

It's the Italian version of James/Jacob.

Beardless
Aug 12, 2011

I am Centurion Titus Polonius. And the only trouble I've had is that nobody seem to realize that I'm their superior officer.
My first name is Eamon. It's not terrible, but it's uncommon and apparently incredibly different to pronounce.

Also, there's a woman who's involved in state politics around here named Dudley Dudley.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

CeramicPig posted:

Having known a Khrstyn, I sympathize with your plight.

Silly Hippie
Sep 18, 2007
Spoke with a student today named Courtley Prince. :psyduck:

Weirder still, she was a girl.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

bringmyfishback posted:

That doesn't seem strange to me - Phoenix is one I've actually heard often. I think that's partly because I have a lot of friends who work in education.

post-apocalyptic erotica
Jan 28, 2013
A guy I knew had a son and named him Waekon Runningbear. Everyone calls him Wake'n'bake Gummybear.

Also, I work with a Jerry AND Terry Necessary.

post-apocalyptic erotica has a new favorite as of 21:31 on Apr 18, 2013

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Red posted:

That doesn't seem strange to me - Phoenix is one I've actually heard often. I think that's partly because I have a lot of friends who work in education.

Is it special education?

edit: because that's a retarded name get it

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Okay, some woman's parents decided she needed two middle names.

Brock
Lee

Why you gotta do that to your baby girl, man?

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
Today at the store I ended up witnessing a bratty little boy howling and fooling around with everything that had a button. His name? Leonidas. He's probably going to grow up to be just as insufferable as his mom was.

BigB3ar
Dec 5, 2008
As much as I am going to live the hell out of this kid (as he is my nephew and godson); my sister gave birth to a bouncing 7lb. 8 ounce baby yesterday, named Jareth. Yup she named him after the Goblin King from Labyrinth; weirdly to me that's not the terrible part what is (again at least to me and the rest of our siblings) terrible is that she gave him our fathers last name.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Kid today: Kansas. Because we live in Montana.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

BigB3ar posted:

As much as I am going to live the hell out of this kid (as he is my nephew and godson); my sister gave birth to a bouncing 7lb. 8 ounce baby yesterday, named Jareth. Yup she named him after the Goblin King from Labyrinth; weirdly to me that's not the terrible part what is (again at least to me and the rest of our siblings) terrible is that she gave him our fathers last name.
So are you planning on telling us what this terrible name actually is?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

So are you planning on telling us what this terrible name actually is?

It is Jareth. It's right there in the post you quoted.