Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mar 27, 2003

It had no choice. Their defense grid was smashed. We'd won. Taking out Carr then would make no difference. Skynet had to wipe out his entire existence!

Madkal posted:

That whole thing was so well written that I spent an hour or so researching to see if Breschau actually existed

Hahaha the first thing I did after reading that was google Breschau.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Anyone who reads that chapter of Sandman and doesn't look up or at least think about looking up Breschau is a crazy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

mind the walrus posted:

Anyone who reads that chapter of Sandman and doesn't look up or at least think about looking up Breschau is a crazy.

I didn't. Because..

:black101:I AM BRESCHAU:black101:

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Along those lines, wasn't there a Spectre storyline where a guy becomes a vampire and feels forced to feed for the first time, resulting in him killing his victim. In his guilt he locks himself away for centuries to punish himself, I think surrounded by objects that hurt him and keep him from escaping to hurt others?

Finally the Spectre comes along and tries to tell him he's tortured himself enough, he is forgiven and may pass on, but he refuses to accept that and remains locked away?

DoctorDelaware
Mar 24, 2013

Wade Wilson posted:

Hell in the DC universe is also where people want to go because they believe they deserve to be punished, if the bits of it we see in Sandman are any indicator.

Which would say all kinds of things about the panel you posted.

That's also a recurring theme in John Ostrander's Specter run.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
...You reminded me of something. Hell became 'worse' for the inmates when it came under the management of 'proper' angels. The difference was before, the torture was 'mindless'. After, it was because they 'love you and want you to change'. I remember that strongly.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

(thumbnailed because they're a little bit bigger than I normally upload 'cause of the cursive handwriting)

Sandman #28

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

Madkal posted:

Yea it takes things from Vlad but Vlad wasn't the only sadistic ruler at the time. That kind of brutality was pretty much par for the course for most insane rulers throughout history. I would love to ask Gaiman who the true inspiration was.

I always took the Breschea scene as Gaiman taking the piss, that eventually no matter what evil deeds you have done it will be surpassed and you will be forgotton, that eventually time grants forgiveness, I mean it's almost comically with each time he says what he has done it elevates it further. That even this great evil will be forgotten, and ultimately his acts were pointless.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Hollis posted:

I always took the Breschea scene as Gaiman taking the piss, that eventually no matter what evil deeds you have done it will be surpassed and you will be forgotton, that eventually time grants forgiveness, I mean it's almost comically with each time he says what he has done it elevates it further. That even this great evil will be forgotten, and ultimately his acts were pointless.

Pretty sure it was that, yeah.

Hitler ( :godwin: ) will eventually be forgotten. So will Osama. So will H. H. Holmes.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Uthor posted:

(thumbnailed because they're a little bit bigger than I normally upload 'cause of the cursive handwriting)

Sandman #28

I'm grateful to you. Thanks much.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.

Mister Roboto posted:

Pretty sure it was that, yeah.

Hitler ( :godwin: ) will eventually be forgotten. So will Osama. So will H. H. Holmes.

Hell, I had to think for a minute to remember Holmes.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Uthor posted:

Sandman #28

I'm not quite sure I follow the logic of 'that makes it worse'. I mean, I have a guess, but I'm not sure if it's what Gaiman intended.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

FredMSloniker posted:

I'm not quite sure I follow the logic of 'that makes it worse'. I mean, I have a guess, but I'm not sure if it's what Gaiman intended.

It's because they'll be doing it out of love not hatred, theyre not punishing them for their deeds their punishing them to make them better. It defeats the whole purpose of hell. It's no longer punishment it's reprogramming.

I really need to go back and reread Gaimans stuff.

Mike From Nowhere
Jan 31, 2007

I guess there has to be one thing I just can't help, Lois.
It's easy to respond to someone who hurts you out of hate. What do you do with someone who does something hurtful to you out of love? What could sting harder than the blade of someone who still truly loves you?

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Mike From Nowhere posted:

It's easy to respond to someone who hurts you out of hate. What do you do with someone who does something hurtful to you out of love? What could sting harder than the blade of someone who still truly loves you?

Accept that you did something wrong, I guess?

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!
Accepting and admitting you did something wrong can sometimes be harder than wallowing in a masochistic "I deserve to be punished by these assholes" way. Almost as an excuse NOT to admit you're wrong--especially when you don't want to admit you're wrong to someone you hate.

Difference between screwing up at work and you hate the boss versus screwing up at work and the boss is a really good friend. One you'll hate him for admitting it and justly hate him more after, the other you'll hate yourself for doing it at all.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Mark Waid’s favorite Superman page and happy 75th Birthday
Superman 500

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

FredMSloniker posted:

Because now they are shamed, now they are being made to change, now they are redeemable. Listen to Breschau boast. He is being flagellated because he is irredeemably evil, he who did yadda yadda yadda.

Instead of a cop, now it's your mom. Or Mr. Rogers. And you've let them down, but they know that eventually you'll come around and do better, and they believe in this, no matter how hard they have to push you.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Hollis posted:

It's because they'll be doing it out of love not hatred, theyre not punishing them for their deeds their punishing them to make them better. It defeats the whole purpose of hell. It's no longer punishment it's reprogramming.

I really need to go back and reread Gaimans stuff.

I don't think it's that. Imagine the difference between a stranger punching you and your parents being really, really disappointed in you.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think the reason the denzins of hell hate it even more is that the angels are punishing them with promises of hope and love (ie this punishment will hurt now but it will bring you one step closer to your redemption and love). However, this being hell, the people in hell know that this promise of hope and redemption is a lie, something that will never be achieved. It is there to provide false hope, a promise of an ending to their sufering only for it not to be realised at all, destroying hope at the same time promising it.
I guess if you want to picture it, imagine someone saying they are beating you badly but it will make you stronger and the beatings stop. This gives you hope, but the beatings just go on and on and on.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Hell under Lucifer was portrayed as an absolute state - if you ended up there, it was the natural order of God's universe. The angels have the option to reform Hell and run things their own way, but they make the conscious decision to leave things as they are. They're actually infinitely more cruel than Lucifer, because until the events of that storyline, he didn't realise he had an alternative. The denizens of hell are left with the realisation that they don't have to be there.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
Having never read the Lucifer series (I know I should) was the whole thing with the angels running hell ever addressed? Was there ever any confrontation? Did hell get better?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Madkal posted:

Having never read the Lucifer series (I know I should) was the whole thing with the angels running hell ever addressed? Was there ever any confrontation? Did hell get better?

Yes and read Lucifer

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Captain America's adopted son Ian confronts his sister Jet Black Zola.

Captain America 6

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

priznat posted:

I didn't. Because..

:black101:I AM BRESCHAU:black101:

Prove it. Point out where Livonia used to be on a map. :colbert:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Captain America's adopted son Ian confronts his sister Jet Black Zola.

Captain America 6

Cap is what happens if you give Pa Kent superpowers.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes and read Lucifer

I want to except for the whole DC trade department is terrible and it's going out of print.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Endless Mike posted:

I want to except for the whole DC trade department is terrible and it's going out of print.

I have noticed that a few of the second book stores in my neighbourhood have started selling second hand trade paperbacks (as in they are getting a lot of inventory). I have found quite a few out of print trades thanks to them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

New larger collections are on the way. Vol.1 is out June 4th.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

New larger collections are on the way. Vol.1 is out June 4th.

Yeah but this is DC which means they will do 1-3 then stop.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

Yeah but this is DC which means they will do 1-3 then stop.

The smart way to guarantee sales would have been to stick "SANDMAN SOMETHING SOMETHING" across the top of the cover.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Rhyno posted:

The smart way to guarantee sales would have been to stick "SANDMAN SOMETHING SOMETHING" across the top of the cover.

"GO CRAZY"?

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Don't mind if i do!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gavok posted:

"GO CRAZY"?

You make me smile.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Should I still read Lucifer if I loved Sandman and the character in that series but have never found Mike Carey to be anything more than a boring blah writer

FriggenJ
Oct 23, 2000

Bown posted:

Should I still read Lucifer if I loved Sandman and the character in that series but have never found Mike Carey to be anything more than a boring blah writer

Lucifer has a really fantastic narrative with fun characters(and a goddess of hedgehogs). Also some touching father son moments!

ramenpower
May 6, 2007

Society must take every means at its disposal to defend itself against the emergence of a parallel power which defies the elected power
Lucifer is one of my favorite books. I make a point to read that and Sandman once a year.
It does lose a bit of momentum later in the series though, and eventually the story focuses more on the supporting characters than Lucifer himself. I imagine it was hard too keep up his demeanor from a writers standpoint. It does get back on track though right before the final arc. And ties things up nicely.

Reinbach
Jan 28, 2009

W.T. Fits posted:

Prove it. Point out where Livonia used to be on a map. :colbert:

Right around the borders of Latvia and Estonia.

Early European history professor gave me a look when he asked that and wanted to know why I would possibly take the time to learn that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Bown posted:

Lucifer is Carey's finest work, he was given total free reign to do whatever he wanted and god drat did he work some magic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

"From the pages of Neil Gaiman's SANDMAN"