Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Tron 2.0 coming to GOG with the fanpatch integrated needs to happen, because Tron 2.0 is probably Monolith's best game.

Cate Archer would like to have a word with you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Kibayasu posted:

The stealth level in NOLF 1 was Grade A bullshit though.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

duckfarts posted:

The stealth level in NOLF 1 was Grade A bullshit though.

Ah, yes, that bit was so bad I simply quit trying.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I can only remember one spotted-and-fail stealth mission (I believe where you're infiltrating the rocket) but if there were more I remember the fail conditions go away rather quickly because I shot my way through a ton of them like the mission where you're rescuing the scientist from the Societs. Every other "stealth" mission lets you kill people and raise the alarm with no repercussion even though it stresses you should be silent.

And yeah, the stealth missions were as much bullshit as the ones in the original Medal of Honor. "Show me ur paperz." *thrust papers in dude's face* "Show me ur paperz" *yo, right here* "ACHTUNG!"

NOLF2 greatly improved stealth but the story and design were much more conservative. NOLF1 had Metal Gear Solid levels of cutscenes and humorous dialog. NOLF2 removed half the cool gadgets, cut out most of the dialog, and had a ton of respawning enemies although stealth and shooting were improved and the levels a little more open in exchange for an RPG system.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 19, 2013

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Weekend sale is 85% off of the Telltale library.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kibayasu posted:

The NOLF series comes just after Tron 2.0, and also needs to be on GOG.

PrinnySquadron
Dec 8, 2009

What time should Eador be available to download today?

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

scamtank posted:

That they've included the Windows 95 version as a bonus.

Oh, that's nice. I still prefer the standard music, as great as both sets are. I've never really played its multiplayer outside of hotseat, but both modes still suffer heavily in Heroes 2, since only the last player to go actually sees computer movement, so unless he's been scouting out the entire map, the other players are boned unless they scan the minimap every turn.

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

Dominic White posted:

Get the Circle of Eight pack straight away.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/circle-of-eight-modpack

You want the 'NC' version - it adds a ton of new content to the game, but it's all branching off a whole seperate quest hub that you never need to visit, so even if you only want to play the vanilla stuff, just don't travel to the city of Verbobonc

This in not 100% accurate, the NC version also adds a bunch of short side areas/dungeons that start from the first village, by talking to the blacksmith(IIRC). It is a really good thing because it allows you to get to level 2 by running a small dungeon that they added instead of doing tedious courier quests in that miserable village.

I really love the turn-based combat in ToEE, it's such a shame that all the other modern d&d games are real time.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Obfuscation posted:

I really love the turn-based combat in ToEE, it's such a shame that all the other modern d&d games are real time.

If you don't mind old graphics and light stories knights of the chalice is a pretty rad turn based D&D game.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

The Kins posted:

There is absolutely no question that everybody who loves the movies should buy Back to the Future the Game for $3.74. It's not the greatest game Telltale has created but it's still really fun and hits all the right nostalgia notes; at that price it's a no-brainer.

Zat fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Apr 19, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Obfuscation posted:

This in not 100% accurate, the NC version also adds a bunch of short side areas/dungeons that start from the first village, by talking to the blacksmith(IIRC). It is a really good thing because it allows you to get to level 2 by running a small dungeon that they added instead of doing tedious courier quests in that miserable village.

Fair enough. Last time the subject of Co8 came up, I remember some people being really hesitant to even touch it because they heard that it changed the game and that they wanted the pure, true ToEE experience as the developers intended.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Dominic White posted:

they wanted the pure, true ToEE experience as the developers intended.

They wanted a game where it crashed every 30 minutes to an hour and had numerous scripting and enemy errors? I loved ToEE and all, but playing it off the disk is just painful.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

The Kins posted:

That's a great deal for those games. Wish they had the Mac versions on GOG already, but I'll invest now and hope it happens later and play 'em on my PC in the meantime.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
So it turns that I was writing out the contact form totally wrong and that's why I wasn't getting a reply. When I did it right they fixed my problem in no time. Now I feel like a total moron. Thanks everyone here for the help.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Is Tales of Monkey Island any good?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

VisAbsoluta posted:

Yes. Better than MI 4, although it starts out slow. It's probably Telltale's second best classic adventure game, behind Sam & Max season 3.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

VisAbsoluta posted:

It's all right. As a follow up, if you don't have high expectations, you'll probably like it.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

VisAbsoluta posted:

It's pretty solid, though it's a different format than previous Monkey Islands due to the episodic format, which can be both good and bad. Overall, it's like playing a slightly longer full Monkey Island game.

^^^Monkey Island 4 is kind of a bad comparison, seeing as it's generally regarded as somewhere between "decent" and "flaming sack of poo poo".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

duckfarts posted:

It's pretty solid, though it's a different format than previous Monkey Islands due to the episodic format, which can be both good and bad. Overall, it's like playing a slightly longer full Monkey Island game.

^^^Monkey Island 4 is kind of a bad comparison, seeing as it's generally regarded as somewhere between "decent" and "flaming sack of poo poo".

What made Escape from Monkey Island truly awful was a few bad puzzles, poor writing, and above all else; the wretched abomination of a fighting minigame known as Monkey Combat. You move between five stances by using four different buttons in three-note sequences, each representing a monkey sound (chee, eek, ack and oop) and it works like rock-paper-scissors (as an example, ack, ack, chee to switch to a particular stance). This wouldn't be too awful if the codes were just for one of the five stances, but they're not. There are individual ones for moving to each stance from the one you're currently in. And to make any headway into the last act of the game, you need to learn and memorise all of them :suicide:.

Tales of Monkey Island, however, is generally pretty intuitive and fun for the most part. There might be one or two things you hope they improve on after playing the first or second chapter, and they generally do so.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Nothing's ever quite going to match the magic of the first two Monkey Island games. It is what it is, the puzzles are good, so is the voice acting and story.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I think it's very impressive that Tales of Monkey Island isn't complete garbage.

Unfortunately, this clouds my ability to tell if it's actually good or not.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

elf help book posted:

I think it's very impressive that Tales of Monkey Island isn't complete garbage.

Unfortunately, this clouds my ability to tell if it's actually good or not.

It's pretty good. It's not perfect and the first two chapters are okay at best but it really picks up by the fourth chapter. I'd go for it.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
So Eador: Masters of whatever is out and I'm seeing reports of it being basically still in beta. Somewhere between "not so bad" and "just go play the original". Anyone care to weigh in?

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Well, personally I loved the hell out of Tales of Monkey Island. Nonetheless, I'd also say that it's only meant for Monkey Island fans and I just assumed all such people had already got the game by now. It is absolutely worth playing; its only real weak point is the first episode, which in my opinion doesn't match the quality of the rest of the game at all. Episodes 3, 4 and 5 in particular are excellent.

As far as I'm concerned, Tales is the true sequel to MI3.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Mr. Fortitude posted:

It's pretty good. It's not perfect and the first two chapters are okay at best but it really picks up by the fourth chapter. I'd go for it.

Seriously, the last episode is really loving cool. I absolutely loved all the crossroads/voodoo lore stuff.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Seriously, the last episode is really loving cool. I absolutely loved all the crossroads/voodoo lore stuff.

Yeah, the last two episodes is really what cemented ToMI as a great game for me. Clever writing, puzzles and some genuinely funny moments.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Telltale is really good about tying the episodes together in the last 2 episodes of a series, and it works pretty well for ToMI too if I remember correctly.

Peas and Rice
Jul 14, 2004

Honor and profit.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

What made Escape from Monkey Island truly awful was a few bad puzzles, poor writing, and above all else; the wretched abomination of a fighting minigame known as Monkey Combat. You move between five stances by using four different buttons in three-note sequences, each representing a monkey sound (chee, eek, ack and oop) and it works like rock-paper-scissors (as an example, ack, ack, chee to switch to a particular stance). This wouldn't be too awful if the codes were just for one of the five stances, but they're not. There are individual ones for moving to each stance from the one you're currently in. And to make any headway into the last act of the game, you need to learn and memorise all of them :suicide:.

Tales of Monkey Island, however, is generally pretty intuitive and fun for the most part. There might be one or two things you hope they improve on after playing the first or second chapter, and they generally do so.

The log flume puzzle. gently caress that poo poo in its loving rear end. To this day I cannot pass it.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
Has anyone had problems trying to get The Devils Playhouse to run on their computers? I'm tried both Telltale and GOG versions and neither one even attempts to run for me on either Win 7 or 8.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Additionally, the button presses for Monkey Kombat were random so you couldn't even really look up a guide to easily breeze through it.

Unrelated to Monkey Island, am I the only one with nostalgia for Seven Kingdoms? A friend and I used to play multiplayer games all the time. I doubt it really holds up now, since I bought it on GoG but of course I haven't played it at all. The whole system of having people have to improve various skills, and the espionage system made it a lot of fun. If you've never played it, you could change the player color of any of your people at will, and if you changed it to the color of another player they would have control over it as well and it would basically act like one of their units. So you would infiltrate their villages/forts/whatever and see what they were doing. If your spy had high enough skills, when you turned him back to your control he could bring other units with him from the enemy team. I think, theoretically, if your spy became their king you could steal a huge part of their empire.

I drove said friend insane, as he was terrified of that exact scenario, so he was easily beaten because I could just move same-race citizens near his stuff and he would drop whatever he was doing and basically not play because he was watching them like a hawk. You could execute your units at any time, too, so if you thought someone was a spy you could just kill them. He would empty out the populations of villages I got a spy into and have mass executions just to make sure one spy didn't worm his way into a factory or something.

It was a unique RTS, I've never played with the expansion or the sequel so I don't know anything about those.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Man, I'm looking at those survey results and this must be how republicans felt during the last two presidential elections.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Considering the target audience that would even bother to participate on these, I have this suspicion that the GOG staff simply disregarded the results and went with what they were already planning: "presenting DLC in a better way" and only allow multiplayer games that "do it nice like Planetary Annihilation".

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Man, I'm looking at those survey results and this must be how republicans felt during the last two presidential elections.

Agreed. Sometimes I think if they did a survey that said "Would you be willing to buy new games from GOG if they had DRM and no extras if that was the only way we could have them on the service?" then it would be 90% yes because MUST HAVE MORE GAMES.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

voltron lion force posted:

So Eador: Masters of whatever is out and I'm seeing reports of it being basically still in beta. Somewhere between "not so bad" and "just go play the original". Anyone care to weigh in?

From what I've heard, the game is buggy as poo poo and the user interface sucks. Also, It's just a graphical facelift of the original game, there's nothing new. I recommend avoiding Masters of the Broken World. I do, however, highly recommend getting the original game, Eador: Genesis if you even remotely like RPGs or TBSs as it's loving amazing.

Edit: I should also mention that while Genesis is old, it still looks really nice, so the graphical update is even less of a big deal.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dissapointed Owl posted:

I'm generally okay with the way things shook out. I'm not sure I would go much further though. I don't want Gog to become a normal games retailer.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You forgot to mention that the Monkey Kombat codes were randomized for each game. So you couldn't just go and get a walkthrough printout of them. That and the swamp puzzle, Jesus Christ.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

kirbysuperstar posted:

You forgot to mention that the Monkey Kombat codes were randomized for each game. So you couldn't just go and get a walkthrough printout of them. That and the swamp puzzle, Jesus Christ.

I had that in there, and I must've completely removed it when I was editing my post a bit :doh:. And I'd forgotten about that loving swamp puzzle. Nevermind the maze, if you don't remember EXACTLY what what your future self says for when it's your turn to be him, you have to do the whole goddamn swamp over because of the time paradox it causes.

Peas and Rice posted:

The log flume puzzle. gently caress that poo poo in its loving rear end. To this day I cannot pass it.

If I remember right, you need to sneak out onto that maze area and set things up a bit before actually riding the flume.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

macnbc posted:

Agreed. Sometimes I think if they did a survey that said "Would you be willing to buy new games from GOG if they had DRM and no extras if that was the only way we could have them on the service?" then it would be 90% yes because MUST HAVE MORE GAMES.

Consumers are mercenaries! Actually bouncing off of your point, all they need to do is find one respected and desired game with a DRM lockdown or season pass or whatever, and hold the same poll, just with one question: should we change our minds for this one wittle game? The skirt would come off immediately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Contest Winner posted:

Additionally, the button presses for Monkey Kombat were random so you couldn't even really look up a guide to easily breeze through it.

Unrelated to Monkey Island, am I the only one with nostalgia for Seven Kingdoms? A friend and I used to play multiplayer games all the time. I doubt it really holds up now, since I bought it on GoG but of course I haven't played it at all. The whole system of having people have to improve various skills, and the espionage system made it a lot of fun. If you've never played it, you could change the player color of any of your people at will, and if you changed it to the color of another player they would have control over it as well and it would basically act like one of their units. So you would infiltrate their villages/forts/whatever and see what they were doing. If your spy had high enough skills, when you turned him back to your control he could bring other units with him from the enemy team. I think, theoretically, if your spy became their king you could steal a huge part of their empire.

I drove said friend insane, as he was terrified of that exact scenario, so he was easily beaten because I could just move same-race citizens near his stuff and he would drop whatever he was doing and basically not play because he was watching them like a hawk. You could execute your units at any time, too, so if you thought someone was a spy you could just kill them. He would empty out the populations of villages I got a spy into and have mass executions just to make sure one spy didn't worm his way into a factory or something.

It was a unique RTS, I've never played with the expansion or the sequel so I don't know anything about those.
No, Seven Kingdoms was a great game. Coming back to it I hd a few peeves about te UI, but all inall it is still fun. gently caress it, it's the weekend, I'll just go play it now.

e: If you decide to play it again and the colours are all strange, just have the Windows screen resolution thingie open in the backgrond (right click on your desktop) and it will magically solve the issue.

kissekatt fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Apr 20, 2013