Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Austrian mook posted:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha you're all playing into my hands, I even thought about mentioning him in the GDT but went against it because I didn't want to risk it. I think I'm enjoying this draft a little too much, still not sure whether to go winger or D though.
Oh yeah? Well your cap hit is already like 50 billion dollars. I know Suter could play probably 60 minutes. At this rate, you'd better hope all your other first liners can, too.

Hrmph.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Habibi posted:

Oh yeah? Well your cap hit is already like 50 billion dollars. I know Suter could play probably 60 minutes. At this rate, you'd better hope all your other first liners can, too.

Hrmph.

Just wait until Burns-Suter ends up being my only defensive line with Burns double shifted on the first.

But imagine the beard, I wouldn't let him shave.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

Just wait until Burns-Suter ends up being my only defensive line with Burns double shifted on the first.

But imagine the beard, I wouldn't let him shave.

I know...my :effort: post for him was going to include a picture of Chewbacca. :(

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Habibi posted:

I know...my :effort: post for him was going to include a picture of Chewbacca. :(

Sorry, but maybe now you can draft a pretty person! :v: we need him more (no we don't I'm just a dick)

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

Sorry, but maybe now you can draft a pretty person! :v: we need him more (no we don't I'm just a dick)

It's all good. He would have just been a good complement to what I already have. But I will satisfy myself with a mental image of Weber breaking your dudes with point bombs.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
Gotta take a risk. Islanders select Dmitry Kulikov. Will post picture/explanation when I get to my computer later.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Habibi posted:

It's all good. He would have just been a good complement to what I already have. But I will satisfy myself with a mental image of Weber breaking your dudes with point bombs.

Might just be my opinion but Getzlaf>Kadri :jerkbag:

Also who's got more points Weber or Suter :v:

gotta keep the Kings Ducks rivalry alive even here

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mozza posted:

Gotta take a risk. Islanders select Dmitry Kulikov. Will post picture/explanation when I get to my computer later.

Interesting pick.

I think it's a stretch given some of the guys left, so I'm curious to see an explanation.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Certainly not the pick I would have made, but that's because I hardly know who that player is!

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Austrian mook posted:

Certainly not the pick I would have made, but that's because I hardly know who that player is!

Plays close to 22 minutes a night with Florida. Has had trouble with injuries. Decent scoring numbers, decent possession numbers. Only 22.

e: I thought he would take more of a step this year. I picked him in a couple hockey pools because of it. Not so much, scoring wise.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Austrian mook posted:

Might just be my opinion but Getzlaf>Kadri :jerkbag:
Okay? Good for him.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

This was a very hard pick. There are some great defensemen left and another forward who I debated back and forth. But I have decided to take Jordan Staal. He's still under 25 and locked into a $6m deal. I think with a better role he is a 60-point player who happens to be one of the pinnacle defensive forwards in the game.

I am going for depth and defense among my forwards group and I have not yet decided on which lines guys will play. But a PK tandem of Staal and Parise is simply unfair, and with my forwards core as Parise, Staal, and Landeskog, those are three terrific two-way players.

I'm going to bed guys.

My team so far is:

Zach Parise, W
Gabriel Landeskog, W
Jordan Staal, C
John Carlson, D

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Jordan7hm posted:

Interesting pick.

I think it's a stretch given some of the guys left, so I'm curious to see an explanation.

This year has definitely been a disappointment, but I'm basically just trying to strike a good balance between current ability and potential, and I think Kulikov does that best of the remaining defensemen. The franchise D are long gone, but Kulikov can produce (though this season isn't a good indication of it), he's cheap, he's young, he can eat minutes, and he has a ton of upside.I believe I'll be able to insulate him with veteran D taken in later rounds. I had a list of about 10 comparable young players, some already had insane contracts, some didn't have the offense, and some were just too unproven. I seriously wrote out three different names and erased them because they just felt too safe and didn't excite me. I like the pick, but more than anything I wish I had picked a D in the first round.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Staal has never really impressed me, doesn't seem worth 6mil to me

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

The Pittsburgh Penguins are happy to select, from Toronto, Ontario, center Stephen Weiss.

Pictured: Stephen eyes a puck hungrily

Cap hit: 3,100,000 for one year

He's a really solid player who will look even better on a more competitive hockey team. He's been quietly putting up points on the Panthers for years despite often being surrounded with little help. Stephen is a steady contributor and you know what you're going to get from him. He's solid in all facets of the game and is a solid number one center for my team. My only concern is his contract, but hopefully we'll have some success here and I'll be able to convince him to sign long term.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mozza posted:

This year has definitely been a disappointment, but I'm basically just trying to strike a good balance between current ability and potential, and I think Kulikov does that best of the remaining defensemen. The franchise D are long gone, but Kulikov can produce (though this season isn't a good indication of it), he's cheap, he's young, he can eat minutes, and he has a ton of upside.I believe I'll be able to insulate him with veteran D taken in later rounds. I had a list of about 10 comparable young players, some already had insane contracts, some didn't have the offense, and some were just too unproven. I seriously wrote out three different names and erased them because they just felt too safe and didn't excite me. I like the pick, but more than anything I wish I had picked a D in the first round.

Fair enough. I think you missed on one guy in particular who is very similar, but slightly better, but that could just be my preference.

I don't mind not having picked D til this round. Still have a long list of guys who I can grab later who will do just fine.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

gently caress.

I still think Staal is worth his contract more than Skinner. It's not like Staal is ancient old, he's still frickin' 24. More than that though, the list of centers after him is pretty lame. So uh, stock up and let those defensemen slide.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

eXXon posted:

gently caress.

I still think Staal is worth his contract more than Skinner. It's not like Staal is ancient old, he's still frickin' 24. More than that though, the list of centers after him is pretty lame. So uh, stock up and let those defensemen slide.

He's just not that good though.

You pay 6 million to a guy, you expect more consistent offensive production than Staal has ever produced.

He is a fine second line center in the Radek Bonk mold, but that contract is yikes.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Is there anyone without a centre still? Who's still on the board? (don't answer the second one)

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
Jordan Staal is good but imagine the Penguins if they had drafted Toews or Backstrom instead. How do you stop lines centered by Crosby, Malkin and Toews?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Spamtron7000 posted:

Jordan Staal is good but imagine the Penguins if they had drafted Toews or Backstrom instead. How do you stop lines centered by Crosby, Malkin and Toews?

You probably don't. If they'd drafted one of those guys though they might have ended up being wingers, or not reaching their offensive potential playing as third line centers aka they'd want out just like Staal did.

That's what I tell myself at night anyways.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Austrian mook posted:

Is there anyone without a centre still? Who's still on the board? (don't answer the second one)

I think we ran through real first line centers you might want to build around sometime in the second round. There are some really close borderline guys though who have been first line centers either this year or recently.

I started creating more of those team charts on the draft spreadsheet but got distracted. Will finish tomorrow I guess.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Austrian mook posted:

Flyers? I don't think Zetterberg usually plays C.

Kings?

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Almost everyone has one decent center at this point (lol Bryan Little) but it'll be tough to get a solid 1-2 punch if you don't already have one. Seguin-Nuge is pretty sweet but uhh T-Bone's gotta hope some defensemen drop and a starting goalie is left on the heap somewhere to avoid being Oiler-like.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

There's plenty of options out there, at least from where I'm sitting.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Vigilance posted:

You probably don't. If they'd drafted one of those guys though they might have ended up being wingers, or not reaching their offensive potential playing as third line centers aka they'd want out just like Staal did.

That's what I tell myself at night anyways.

FWIW, I sort of agree with you. Staal is 24, and he's put up a bunch of 20 goal seasons playing on a third line behind two of the league's premier centers. In his last year with the Pens, he was on a pace for 60+ pts, easy, before getting hurt. I think if he is given a chance to develop as a top-2 center he'll improve and his production will be more along the lines of what is expected, if not more, than his contract. And on top of that he's great defensively.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Boomer The Cannon posted:

There's plenty of options out there, at least from where I'm sitting.

Well PM me some names!

(They're not 1B types. Or if they are, they're having lousy seasons or have dumb contracts or are young/unproven or a combination of the above.)

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust

Jordan7hm posted:

Fair enough. I think you missed on one guy in particular who is very similar, but slightly better, but that could just be my preference.

I don't mind not having picked D til this round. Still have a long list of guys who I can grab later who will do just fine.

Would like to know who this is when he gets picked. It's possible he was one of the guys I was eyeing, or I'm just dumb and overlooked him completely.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high
yeah im not totally confident about my next choice haha thats what happens when you draft with zero research

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Thufir posted:

Flyers? I don't think Zetterberg usually plays C.

Kings?

He's a natural C and is usually at that position, when he plays with Datsyuk, which is reasonably often, he plays LW.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Whoa, I missed the Weiss pick. That is a ballsy choice for a guy having what might be the worst pending UFA season ever. Certainly not the first pending UFA I expected to be taken.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Someone pick The Guy I'm Thinking Of because he's cool and good

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I think I have a plan.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

eXXon posted:

Almost everyone has one decent center at this point (lol Bryan Little) but it'll be tough to get a solid 1-2 punch if you don't already have one. Seguin-Nuge is pretty sweet but uhh T-Bone's gotta hope some defensemen drop and a starting goalie is left on the heap somewhere to avoid being Oiler-like.

Did you just say 1-2 punch? I'm not worried at all about goalies, there are more than 30 guys who'd make good starters

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Austrian mook posted:

Did you just say 1-2 punch? I'm not worried at all about goalies, there are more than 30 guys who'd make good starters

yeah unless people start drafting backup goalies i am gonna be pretty content with picking in round 17 or 18

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

eXXon posted:

Whoa, I missed the Weiss pick. That is a ballsy choice for a guy having what might be the worst pending UFA season ever. Certainly not the first pending UFA I expected to be taken.

the only reason anyone ever talked about weiss is because he was gonna be a playoff rental this year. he is old and bad and boring

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I think I have a plan.
NOW I have a plan, so please don't gently caress with my plan. :colbert:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

the talent deficit posted:

the only reason anyone ever talked about weiss is because he was gonna be a playoff rental this year. he is old and bad and boring

He's 30 he's not old. He's had one bad year which was this one and the Panthers as a whole this year were godawful.

In short you wrong.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Yo yo yo

My name's Dean Lombardi, with the LA Kings,
I'm in the business of forging Stanley Cup rings,
The youth movement gives me a literal hard-on,
So in this round we're hot to select Cody Hodgson.

This boy, he was dicked around by the Canucks,
He said, "Send me away - anywhere but the Ducks!"
Now he's back on the track and he's scoring some goals,
And he's young and doing it while playing multiple roles.

His potential is bursting, his ceiling is high,
He's certain to be a first-line-centering guy,
And he's coming off of an entry level contract,
So we'll be paying bargain rates to showcase his act.

Break it down!

(don't worry ladies - we haven't forgotten about you)

Cody Hodgson, 23, C, last year of an ELC with a 1.6m caphit

This was a really tough choice in terms of the direction I wanted to go with my team-building efforts, though I think the majority of choices from here on out will be really tough in this respect. I'm not really looking to draft a goalie until later on, so it's a decision between taking another high end or high end potential defenseman, or look to continue rounding out my core of forwards. There are a number of no really promising young d-men on the board, and more than a few zero aging but elite-in-their-prime veterans, and it's really tempting to grab one of them. But I feel, again, that drafting forwards earlier on is a better value, since you end up dressing more of them and need more of them to see significant ice time. Plus, with Weber already on the back end, that's like two defensemen right there.

I like Hogdson a lot. The Canucks really screwed his situation up, IMO (and in the opinion of most of CAS). He's a center with a ton of skill - great hands, great shot, and once-lambasted skating that he keeps improving every season. But he's not a sheltered one-trick pony. Fewer than half of his starts are in the offensive zone, and he plays pretty significant PK minutes. More, he was voted smartest player in his OHL conference three seasons running (including one where he played like 20 games or something), as well as best face-off man. Currently, he's not too far off a 30 goal pace playing on an umm, let's say unspectacular team, and I have plenty of confidence that he's going to hit that benchmark within a season or two, tops. In his best seasons in the OHL and before he got hurt and went through that Vancouver fiasco, he was scoring around the likes of Tavares, Hall, Duchene, etc... Actually, in 08-09 he was 4th in the OHL, and absolutely tore the gently caress up out of the WJC. And did I mention that he's young? He's 23, and he just turned 23 in February, meaning he's going to stay 23 through most of next season. With Hodgson, Pacioretty, and Kadri, I've got a core of very young forwards - two centers and a wing - with a varied skillset, all of whom have, either as documented reality or just in my analysis, the capability to score 30+ goals and potentially approach PPG production.

Team so far:
Weber, Shea
Pacioretty, Max
Kadri, Nazem
Hodgson, Cody

Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pyGSyfkO6I[

Bring it, boiiii.

Edit: \/\/\/ Couldn't you have edited your previous post without stealing my thunder? Mozzaaaaa :argh:

Habibi fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Apr 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
Earlier the Islanders proudly selected D Dmitry Kulikov in the fourth round.

Kulikov, while not in the elite class of Karlsson/Pietrangelo/OEL, is in the next tier of dynamic, young, two-way defenders. He has had a solid start to his NHL career, with his best-showing so far being a 40-point pace in a season shortened by injury last year. This year has been a bit disappointing, but he's on an abhorrent team. The Islanders will not be an abhorrent team.

While I expect to draft a veteran defender to serve as my #1 for the next few years, I'm willing to bank on the risk that Kulikov will live up to his potential as a dynamic star two-way defender with 50+ point capability. He's already a 40-point minute-eater as a 22-year old, so even if that's all he'll ever be he's worth the pick. A case could be made to take many players in this position, and I'm not arguing Kulikov is the best defenseman on the board. But he makes a lot of sense considering his current abilityl, his contract, and I'm just personally excited by his potential.

22 years old, $2.5 million contract until 2014, 229GP/16G/64A/80P

New York Islanders
- M. Richards Perry
- - -
- - -
- - -

Kulikov -
- -
- -

Quick
-

• Locked thread