Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

If it had been $150 for upgrades I would've felt a bit miffed about getting the GN2 instead, but at only $50 less I'll gladly take the GN2 instead.

Also, gently caress Sprint for treating new customers better than existing ones.

Well, at least it makes sense to charge $50 over what all the other carriers are charging when you consider the reliable dial-up speeds we get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

moolchaba posted:

The deal hasn't gone through and Softbank could counter with a higher offer.

I thought along the same lines when the Dish offer was announced: "great, more congestion".

Edit: kinda ticked that S4 won't have SVDO, because 3G is going to be a hard reality for at least another 2 years for many of us.

If I'm in an area with LTE would I still be able to access the internet while I'm on the phone? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I've had my upgrade since 2009 and I might actually use it on this phone. I love my S3 but I've actually never purchased a launch-day phone.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I went back to my store to have them check up on the new problems with my device and install the JB update and I learned something kinda interesting: The problem with the screen not turning back on when you press the power button is actually a known issue with the E4GT's 4.0.4 update and they're fixed in 4.2.1.

I might actually have a device that works for once when I pick my phone up this evening. I'm not quite sure how to handle it.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I've been with Sprint for probably a decade and won't really ever consider switching to another carrier that has data caps because monitoring usage is loving stupid and a pure moneygrab by Verizon and AT&T, and I don't really want to deal with T-Mobile either. Sprint is still by far the cheapest option at $70 a month for unlimited everything. I can't ever remember a time where I've truly needed a 3G/4G connection and not had it to make a call or check something online.

I'm eligible for an upgrade through Sprint and have been considering the S4, but I'm wondering if it's worth it to pay the full unsubsidized price (I imagine $550 for the S4) if I plan on remaining with Sprint indefinitely. I don't like being locked into a contract for anything, and I could probably swing the unsubsidized cost.

I guess what I'm asking is - if I have no plans to leave Sprint, enjoy their service (since I'm on wireless connections most of the time anyway and rarely make long calls) and can afford the unsubsidized phone, is there any reason to go on contract? If I stay with Sprint for the next 24 months, am I just screwing myself out of $250?

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD
Hey guys

So if I mash go on the pre order process for an S4, it's 249 for me - fair enough - but it's suggesting I have to change my plan. I know this is the online nonsense and if I call the sero line they will handle it and I can keep my sero (I think, based on what I read earlier) - but is there a way to get the purchase to roll through bypassing the plan change? Need I call the sero line to order it instead of the online pre-order stuff?

Just curious if anyone with a sero plan (I have the old school sero 500) has gone through this or knows about it.

Thanks!

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

a shameful boehner posted:

I guess what I'm asking is - if I have no plans to leave Sprint, enjoy their service (since I'm on wireless connections most of the time anyway and rarely make long calls) and can afford the unsubsidized phone, is there any reason to go on contract? If I stay with Sprint for the next 24 months, am I just screwing myself out of $250?

Probably, because the monthly cost of your plan does not go down when your contract is complete/phone subsidy paid off. The only thing you gain by staying off-contract is the ability to move to a different carrier without paying an ETF.

Agatsu posted:

Hey guys

So if I mash go on the pre order process for an S4, it's 249 for me - fair enough - but it's suggesting I have to change my plan. I know this is the online nonsense and if I call the sero line they will handle it and I can keep my sero (I think, based on what I read earlier) - but is there a way to get the purchase to roll through bypassing the plan change? Need I call the sero line to order it instead of the online pre-order stuff?

Just curious if anyone with a sero plan (I have the old school sero 500) has gone through this or knows about it.

Thanks!

It's ok; complete the online order. When you get the phone, call up the SERO/EPRP phone number in the OP to get it activated. They'll know how to move you over to SERO LTE.

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 18, 2013

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

but I'm wondering if it's worth it to pay the full unsubsidized price
No, absolutely not.

I don't like being locked into a contract for anything,
There's no such thing as being "locked into a contract".

Now, if you leave Sprint before you finish your obligation term, you will be assessed a prorated(ish) ETF, which is at most $350. Otherwise you're welcome to leave Sprint at any time. They can't hold your phone number hostage.

and I could probably swing the unsubsidized cost.
I'd imagine the "retail price" of the S4 is at least $599. Which is the same as the subsidized cost + prorated ETF. There's no advantage to paying the extra $350 up front.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

IOwnCalculus posted:

Also, gently caress Sprint for treating new customers better than existing ones.

This is literally every carrier.

Other notes:
My fault on confusing the epic with the epic touch, brain fart there. Either way, I wouldn't expect sprint to exchange epic touches for the Galaxy S3.

Yes, if you re planning to stay with sprint, getting s discounted phone price with a contract is worth it because its the same price monthly either way.

pass the butter
Mar 22, 2006

OH MY GOD

SamDabbers posted:

It's ok; complete the online order. When you get the phone, call up the SERO/EPRP phone number in the OP to get it activated. They'll know how to move you over to SERO LTE.

Thanks, much appreciated. Trigger pulled! I was going to pay the same for a nexus 4, if it would have worked on sprint. It'll be a nice upgrade out of my S1. No more slide out keyboard BOOO.

MrCodeDude
Aug 31, 2005
Just put in the pre-order for the S4.

First launch-day phone since my old (and very lovely throughout) HTC Titan (Sprint Mogul).

beamrider
Sep 22, 2000
Posting "This needs much more love" IS BANNABLE

datajosh posted:

It's not. In pure tower numbers, they're at less than 20% with LTE active from what I can tell.

He just made an update yesterday, haven't seen it here yet:

Approximately 1300 updated sites since our last status update: New York City (134), Austin (95), Nashville (93), Kansas (73), Chicago (72), Riverside/San Bernardino (52), New Orleans (49), San Diego (43), Orange County (36), West Washington (34), Las Vegas (32), Oregon/SW Washington (32), Phoenix (29), Miami/West Palm (27), Southern Connecticut (25), Boston (23), Oklahoma (23), West Michigan (23), Norfolk (21), Orlando (21), Atlanta/Athens (20), South Bay (17), South West Florida (17), Jacksonville (16), Northern Jersey (16), Raleigh/Durham (15), PR/VI (14), Louisiana (13), Missouri (13), Northern Connecticut (13), Western Pennsylvania (12), Long Island (11), LA Metro (11), South Carolina (11), Minnesota (10), Washington DC (10), San Antonio (9), SF Bay (9), Tampa (9), Baltimore (8), DFW (8), East Iowa (8), Indianapolis (8), West Texas (7), Philadelphia Metro (6), South Texas (6), Charlotte (5), Delaware (5), East Michigan (5), Ft. Wayne/South Bend (5), Houston (5), Georgia (4), Shentel (4), Tucson/Yuma (4), Central Jersey (3), Pittsburgh (3), The Panhandle (3), Alabama (2), GA/SC Coast (2), Providence (2), Columbus (1), East Texas (1), Inland Northwest (1), Memphis (1), Mississippi (1), North Wisconsin (1), Southern Jersey (1), VT/NH/ME (1), West Kentucky (1), Upstate NY East (1).

Highlights this week: First sites accepted in the Pittsburgh market. First LTE site in the South Texas market. Brand new sites added in West Kentucky and Columbus.

Columbus OH or Columbus GA? Please tell me it's Ohio....

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

beamrider posted:

Columbus OH or Columbus GA? Please tell me it's Ohio....
It's Ohio.

I'm down by Cincinnati, and one of our corporate people was in the other day and mentioned they accelerated the rollout for Columbus. Guess that's the beginning.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Holy poo poo.

I got my E4GT back from Sprint earlier, they updated it to JB and all that jazz, but when they handed the phone back it had somehow been run down to 14% battery in less than five hours. On the way home I turned the screen back on to see what the icons in the notification bar were: turns out the phone was claiming that the sd card I left in there when I dropped it off was bad and needed to be formatted, basically that the card was hosed. Heading back to Sprint, after the whole "well are you sure it wasn't like that before you gave it to us" bullshit, they held me there while messing around with my phone/card and giving me the most incredible answers like:
  • "Well sorry that your card went bad while we had your phone but it's not our fault and we can't do anything about this since we don't cover sd card stuff"
  • "When you get home, go on youtube and look for a video explaining if it's possible to recover any of your data. That's the best I can give you."
  • "This really isn't our fault because this update we told you last time you were here would be 15 minutes but today we told you it would be an hour and a half and also wipe your device (except they never wiped it) doesn't mess with your sd card so tough poo poo I guess"

A manager put the card in his laptop just to see if it would work, and found out that the data was all still there perfectly fine even though when they tried putting the card in other phones none of them recognized it. So obviously, the solution was to do a factory reset, making me redownload all my stuff for the second time in three days which somehow got the phone to recognize the card that was unrecognizable by multiple phones beforehand. I also brought up them just giving me or letting me renew my contract in exchange for a newer phone at the discounted price, and got the answer that all they could give me was the Photon and my only other options are to take it up with Accounting Services or Samsung directly. Otherwise, I have to either keep bringing in this phone until I get something that works or buy a newer one off contract.

Rather than buying a new phone outright, it would literally be cheaper to pay $250 to terminate my contract early and switch carriers, then get into a new 2 year contract with them to get whatever phone I want discounted. This is so loving stupid. I'm basically being punished for getting the "wrong" phone and getting told "welp sorry, nothing we can do about it and there's nothing you can do about it either unless you want to spend 6 hours at a time on customer support lines or spend more money to buy a phone off-contract."

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

So, I know a couple of guys in here work at sprint stores. Can you tell me the buzz the $50 price difference for the S4 is getting?

Also, any word on why sprint has decided to upcharge existing customers?

And can anybody tell me why Sprint couldn't just cut newbies a $50 discount instead of a $100 one, and leave existing customer's price alone?

(And this is completly ignoring the $36 "activation (or "upgrade, as they're calling it) fee" they're also charging us, which I thought we we're exempt from since we earned an upgrade by sticking around another 2 years!)

Giblet
Jun 19, 2003

Smooth like whiskey

The Bananana posted:

So, I know a couple of guys in here work at sprint stores. Can you tell me the buzz the $50 price difference for the S4 is getting?

Also, any word on why sprint has decided to upcharge existing customers?

And can anybody tell me why Sprint couldn't just cut newbies a $50 discount instead of a $100 one, and leave existing customer's price alone?

(And this is completly ignoring the $36 "activation (or "upgrade, as they're calling it) fee" they're also charging us, which I thought we we're exempt from since we earned an upgrade by sticking around another 2 years!)

You forget that this is a publicly traded company and Sprint's first duty is to its sock holders not its subscribers.

From a stock holder perspective, more gross revenue is good. More subscribers = more revenue. To get more subscribers you need to attract customers away from other carriers.

The galaxy s4 will sell out in its early days. By giving current subscribers a higher price it will lower demand from that segment leaving more available stock for new subscribers. And new subscribers mean happy stockholders.

Yes some people may not like it an switch carriers but the wager is that for every subscriber lost multiple others will be gained.

Just remember when considering switching because of this "Stockholder first" mentality that every single major telecom shares that mentality and the grass is not always greener.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
So is anyone planning on getting an HTC One instead of the S4? Am I an idiot for letting HTC trick me into wanting another one of their devices, even after having used the Evo 3D for two years?

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Stevie Lee posted:

So is anyone planning on getting an HTC One instead of the S4? Am I an idiot for letting HTC trick me into wanting another one of their devices, even after having used the Evo 3D for two years?

If you don't care about having a microSD slot or replaceable battery, then sure.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Stevie Lee posted:

I have 5 lines getting HTC Ones (3 for sure, 2 probably), so no, it's not just you.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

Wrist Watch posted:

Rather than buying a new phone outright, it would literally be cheaper to pay $250 to terminate my contract early and switch carriers, then get into a new 2 year contract with them to get whatever phone I want discounted. This is so loving stupid. I'm basically being punished for getting the "wrong" phone and getting told "welp sorry, nothing we can do about it and there's nothing you can do about it either unless you want to spend 6 hours at a time on customer support lines or spend more money to buy a phone off-contract."
They can't help the fact that you bought a bad phone. There are rules to what they are and aren't allowed to do, and you won't find other carriers to be more accommodating in situations like this.

Why not buy a used SGS3 and sell your E4GT to make up a good portion of that cost? That's what I'd do. Certainly cheaper than an ETF.

Stevie Lee posted:

I dunno, you tell me...

td4guy fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Apr 19, 2013

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

td4guy posted:

They can't help the fact that you bought a bad phone. There are rules to what they are and aren't allowed to do, and you won't find other carriers to be more accommodating in situations like this.

Why not buy a used SGS3 and sell your E4GT to make up a good portion of that cost? That's what I'd do. Certainly cheaper than an ETF.
I dunno, you tell me...

Were those pictures ever confirmed and stuff? I could of sworn this was covered and determined to not be the case. For what its worth our display is loving awesome. I'm in for one. SD card can suck me, and the battery is my only major concern and I really think itll be fine. I am going to wait for a bit, few weeks at least. See what initial shipments like. Ill try and report my findings.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Those photos were doctored and part of a Samsung campaign to discredit HTC and HTC has sued over this.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Glad that Sprint LTE is finally hitting the Pittsburgh area - will definitely be considering switching from Verizon when my contract is up if it rolls out well.

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
It's a good feeling when you're driving to work and you see your phone hit two LTE towers along the way - passing Tysons Corner in Northern VA. That means it's getting closer and closer to my office.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

1st AD posted:

Those photos were doctored and part of a Samsung campaign to discredit HTC and HTC has sued over this.

Apparently pretty effective.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

1st AD posted:

Haha. I had to take a second look to see how the photos were doctored in order to be unflattering. At first, I thought the pictures were demonstrating the quality of the camera and screen by passing the phone over the receipt and showing how lifelike the image was.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

td4guy posted:

I understand that their hands are tied but in what world is having to spend more money out of pocket because the phone recommended to me by Sprint can't perform properly, an acceptable solution? How is it acceptable that my choices are to either keep taking my phone back to have it "serviced" and not usable by me for the day, maybe keeping my data if they haven't decided to wipe it or switch it out for a new device, or to spend $250 more to buy my own new phone?

I'm not expecting other carriers to be more accommodating with stuff like this. I'm saying that to do what the people at the store wanted me to do (buy a new phone) it would actually have been cheaper to break my contract and buy a S3/Note 2/whatever while signing up for a new contract somewhere else.

edit: Seriously, is it me? Am I the weird guy here? Am I the terrible person for thinking it's Sprint's responsibility to handle the situation of making me, the customer, happy when dealing with what turned out to be a notoriously buggy phone that had known issues like not being able to turn on the screen or the phone shutting off at random? Is it my fault for getting even more frustrated with the situation when stuff happens like me bringing my phone in to get an update and them seemingly corrupting my sd card doing something that by all rights shouldn't even be touching the sd card in ght first place?

I bought a phone on the promise that it would work. It doesn't. If paying for their insurance, where they're supposed to fix my phone, isn't doing anything then why am I paying these people?

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 19, 2013

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

1st AD posted:

I don't get it. What was doctored on these pictures?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The 7-11 receipt isn't actually under the screen, it's photoshopped.

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.
I got the HTC One today, and it's pretty awesome for what it's worth.

It just bothers me that the weather/location doesn't update all that often. It still thinks I'm in West University where I bought the phone rather than Houston.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Sab0921 posted:

I got the HTC One today, and it's pretty awesome for what it's worth.

It just bothers me that the weather/location doesn't update all that often. It still thinks I'm in West University where I bought the phone rather than Houston.

I'm sure you can turn up that refresh interval somewhere in the weather settings.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

IOwnCalculus posted:

The 7-11 receipt isn't actually under the screen, it's photoshopped.

Wait, people actually thought that the image on the screen was a real time image from the camera? Seriously?

I immediately discounted that as being the issue since the camera lens would be too close to the paper to be able to capture an image like that.

Tedronai66
Aug 24, 2006
Better to Reign in Hell...

Lowen SoDium posted:

Wait, people actually thought that the image on the screen was a real time image from the camera? Seriously?

I immediately discounted that as being the issue since the camera lens would be too close to the paper to be able to capture an image like that.

Plus, isn't the screen itself bonded to the glass and touch layers, ie no gap?

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Lowen SoDium posted:

The receipt isn't under the phone, it's in it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Wrist Watch posted:

I understand that their hands are tied but in what world is having to spend more money out of pocket because the phone recommended to me by Sprint can't perform properly, an acceptable solution?
Look, it's not really acceptable, but life's unfair and the world sucks.

I sympathisze. I mean, the E4GT is by far the wost Android phone (if not worst smartphone/phone) I've had the displeasure of using, although I haven't used the Moment or G2x. It's been a comedy of problems ever since its release and hasn't gotten any better. It's clear that the device software was written by monkeys and not vetted in the least by a systems engineer (or at least, one with the power do anything about it), but a lot of its issues should've been identified in testing/QA, etc. Samsung really screwed Sprint by delivering them this lemon, and sadly, Sprint lacks the talent/funding/whatever to have realized how deep the hole was.

Perhaps if Sprint was flush with cash they'd write the whole thing off and provide free handset upgrades for all their E4GT customers. But they've historically been pretty close to broke so that wasn't going to happen.

Anyways, the situation is what it is, so what do you do now?
  • Can rail against Sprint, but there's been lemons on all four nationwide carriers and they haven't handled it any differently.
  • Can rail against Samsung, and while they're certainly worthy of your scorn, the SGS3 is arguably the best Android phone (if not phone) Sprint has ever had to date. Plus HTC, LG, and Motorola have all had their lemons too.
  • Can rail against us, I guess. Although at least I've been vocal about "E4GT avoid" since its release.
  • Can rail against Asurion and insurance in general. Although consumer electronics insurance is a thinly veiled scam to begin with.

Honestly, the best advice I can give is that, next time, don't listen to the sales guys, check reviews and here carefully for warning signs about any new products. If that's too time consuming/difficult, then honestly get an iPhone. Android is great and all, but there's simply no better way to hedge against lovely engineering than to purchase Apple products.

With regard to the SD card, they're horribly finicky devices for a variety of reasons and it's entirely plausible that it decided to partially poo poo itself at the time of upgrade. No, the upgrade isn't supposed to trash SD cards, but it doesn't take much more than a few too many reboots to make them sad. It's really best to remove SD cards from devices when handing them over to techs, to help hedge against them getting futzed, lost, stolen, whatever, but that might've not changed the situation anyways.

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Apr 19, 2013

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Vykk.Draygo posted:

The receipt isn't under the phone, it's in it.

OH!

Well now I feel like an idiot.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

[*]Can rail against Asurion and insurance in general. Although consumer electronics insurance is a thinly veiled scam to begin with.

Insurance was never worth it, but they have kept making the terms worse and worse as time goes on. Insurance is not a benevolent service offered by carriers, it's another source of profit. I'd guess insurance is actually one of the highest revenue service offered. Either get tough phones, use cases, or be willing to pay the outright price on a new phone.

I'm sure someone could give a much more flattering opinion of Squaretrade but please please everyone stay away from carrier insurance if you like money.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

OH!

Well now I feel like an idiot.

Except those pictures are not real. It was a scammy photoshop attempt by Samsung Taiwan to discredit HTC.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

Stick100 posted:

Insurance was never worth it,
I don't disagree, but Duckman, Ebola, and anyone who's ever worked at a store have (rightfully) pointed out that many customers are capable/willing/tolerant/don't notice paying an additional $8-11/mo for insurance, particularly when it's buried among "fees", but otherwise go absolutely ape poo poo when they bring in their hosed-up-to-hell phone demanding a replacement, to discover that the replacement cost is $500+ instead of $100-150 as it is with insurance.

So yeah, insurance may be a financially irrational decision, but many folks aren't rational with regard to money, and so insurance is a necessary evil to keep them placated. Otherwise I think the remaining arguments were hashed out in last week's insurance discussion.

Stick100 posted:

Insurance is not a benevolent service offered by carriers, it's another source of profit.
I'm not really sure how much revenue carriers derive from insurance when they're underwritten by third parties. It's an interesting question. Honestly, it's not far fetched to consider that the main reason for offering carrier-bundled insurance is to avoid headache, than it is a particularly great revenue source.

On the other hand, this is all tied into carriers essentailly serving as handset vendors with the subsidy model. We know there's lots of complications with that issue too.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
Sprint's TEP used to be a deal when it was $6-7 and the deductible was $50 (then $100). I went from an Apache to a HTC Touch to a Touch Diamond without upgrading, and I got the Apache for cheap at end of life. Got my Moment replaced right before I upgraded in order to sell it as "pristine 10/10 condition." Most of the time they were replaced free in store, and I even got the deductible waived once or twice.

Also, I think you can split TEP into the two parts--insurance and in-store repair coverage. When the TEP price went up to $8-9, I opted for just the insurance at like $5. What is it now?

There's also AppleCare (which in my opinion you only need if you're dropsy), Esurance by AllState, Square Trade. Square Trade is $125 ($99 for the Galaxy S4) with $100 deductible but doesn't cover loss/theft. Esurance is ~$8/month with $125 deductible and does cover loss/theft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ExcessBLarg! posted:

and so insurance is a necessary evil to keep them placated. Otherwise I think the remaining arguments were hashed out in last week's insurance discussion.

All true I just hate people it when people think insurance is either necessary for life or they are putting one over on the carrier when they get it. Especially when we have great phones like the N4 for $299.

I think I'm just irrationally opposed to insurance and I'll stop posting about it.