Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Chronojam posted:

You really need to calm down. It hasn't even been two months since the latest trailer, there was an article in the ~official UK Nintendo magazine~ two weeks ago, and it was available to play for PAX East attendees at the end of March, too.

Hyperbole gets loving nuts in this thread, but it's particularly egregious to pretend there's been some kind of veil of silence when anybody at the most accessible game-related expo (a massive $30 barrier to entry) could play the thing in person.

I guess "completely silent" was a bit vague. Replace that with "completely silent about release date and/or information about the delay." I don't need trailers and articles to sell me on the game. It's by Platinum, it will be awesome. Actual information on the release has, as far as I know, been scarce. The drat thing was supposed to be a launch window game for God's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

absolutely anything posted:

The entire point of the haunted house (and Duster's chapter in general) is to teach you that buffs and debuffs are A Very Important Thing. You don't have to grind at all if you use Duster's abilities.

The day I learned that debuffs and buffs were important in some RPGs I knew I was a big boy now.

This was like three years ago. After playing RPGs since I was six.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
Man, the biggest bummer out of the NPD numbers (and proof that these ports of older games are Not The Thing) is that NFS, the definitive version of a very good game sold less than 10,000 copies :sigh: This probably won't help bring EA back in!

Lego City sold over 100,000 copies, which is actually pretty decent. Monster Hunter sold somewhere between 100k and 130k (that's both versions combined) which is not as decent.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Apr 19, 2013

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
Stop gettin' angry about launches!

The WiiU launch is bad, period, and sales are reflecting that, much like how they were when the 3DS launched. I think it's perfectly fair to criticize Nintendo for a botched launch since they 1) should've learned from mistakes, and 2) were vocal about feeding consistent software releases before it launched. Pikmin 3 is coming out August, far past the "launch window" it was supposed to hit and the Virtual Console along with numerous other apps on the system feel more like a missed opportunity than a marketable feature. People are aggravated, and rightly so. I get that this is expected with any console that launches but it's not something that makes it acceptable.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
It really is the worst Nintendo launch ever.

I mean, worse than the N64. You can talk about blablabla Dark Shadows of the Empire, Pilotwings, and Mario 64 were the only games the first year, or whatever, but I'm not that old. I was in Jr. High School when the N64 came out. I had no friends, or job, or hobbies except videogames and dungeons and dragons, and I didn't own the Playstation. But that thing kept me loving busy.

As opposed to now, I've got a wife, work 10 hours a day, go to the Y, have barely any time for games at all, yet still, somehow, there aren't really enough games to fill the free game time I do have. Lego City, fairly enough, did keep me occupied for about a month with the few hours I could get in here and there. IT was probably good to not release it directly at launch. It would have been great if it had come a couple months earlier though. And even better if there were more of that calibur game coming out every month.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Lego CU is so great. It's ridiculous how much detail they put into it. There really isn't much filler to the open world at all. You're always finding things and the missions are fast and action packed. This + MH3U brought me back to really appreciating the Wii U. The library is weak but the exclusives we have so far are really fun and not much like what you get on other consoles.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Crowbear posted:

Monster Hunter sold somewhere between 100k and 130k (that's both versions combined) which is not as decent.

That's still pretty good. Monster Hunter is pretty niché outside of Japan.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

I don't really mind about the Wii U's sales or release schedule, because the only reason I have it is to play Nintendo games. It's not something I'd like to have as my primary console, because despite being pretty hardcore into Nintendo when the Wii came out, I ended up buying all five PlayStation consoles to fill the time.

As long as I get to play The Wind Waker HD, then I'm happy with it. Unless it gets delayed in Europe, in which case gently caress it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

I don't know what sort of answer they expected.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

That loving Sned posted:

I ended up buying all five PlayStation consoles to fill the time.

You bought a PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and Vita? :confused:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

From the 3DS thread.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Yo UK dudes, GAME is now selling digital codes for first-party retail games; you can buy 'em in-store or off the website, and a lot of them are the same price as the physical version (ie not RRP forever like they are on the eShop).

http://www.game.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/HubArticleView?hubId=214844&articleId=214845&catalogId=10201&langId=44&storeId=10151

There are Wii U codes there as well, pretty much all cheaper than the eShop prices and some cheaper than the in-store physical prices as well.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

That loving Sned posted:

I don't really mind about the Wii U's sales or release schedule, because the only reason I have it is to play Nintendo games. It's not something I'd like to have as my primary console, because despite being pretty hardcore into Nintendo when the Wii came out, I ended up buying all five PlayStation consoles to fill the time.

As long as I get to play The Wind Waker HD, then I'm happy with it. Unless it gets delayed in Europe, in which case gently caress it.

So paying over 300 dollars to play a HD port of a GameCube game justifies the purchase...?

Come on man, reading your post out loud is kinda telling how Nintendo is doing.

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
The 3DS releases are both frustrating and exciting. I'm frustrated because I would much rather have games like Luigi's Mansion on the Wii U, but excited because the 3DS was dreadful when it initially launched.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

A few weeks ago I posted about how my Wii U gamepad stopped charging. It's fixed now and the repair process was really smooth. I sent it out to them on the 13th with the freepost stamp and proof of purchase, they received and repaired it on the 16th, dispatched it the next day and I got it back this morning. I was able to track the progress of it all online and they sent me texts about it too, I was really impressed by the whole thing.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

AngryCaterpillar posted:

You bought a PS1, PS2, PS3, PSP and Vita? :confused:

Yep, in that order.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

So paying over 300 dollars to play a HD port of a GameCube game justifies the purchase...?

Come on man, reading your post out loud is kinda telling how Nintendo is doing.

Okay, it was kind of hyperbole saying that I bought it for one game. I'm sure Nintendo are going to release some games I'm interested in, plus they've been funding some Platinum Games projects.

There's nothing wrong with being excited for a shiny new Wind Waker though :colbert:

njsykora posted:

There are Wii U codes there as well, pretty much all cheaper than the eShop prices and some cheaper than the in-store physical prices as well.

Oh, neat. I love getting games digitally, just not for £50.

That Fucking Sned fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 19, 2013

Gropes
Mar 21, 2011

It takes an idiot to do cool things. That's why it's cool.
So my girlfriend bought Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013 for our WiiU and it didnt come with a club nintendo code. Is there any way to register this game cause all i care about are those sweet coins

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Gropes posted:

So my girlfriend bought Your Shape Fitness Evolved 2013 for our WiiU and it didnt come with a club nintendo code. Is there any way to register this game cause all i care about are those sweet coins

I've heard that if you email Nintendo about it and give them some serial code that's printed on the case/disc they'll usually spot you the coins.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections
The code my lego city came with said it was already used but the next day after I had played it there was a survey and it gave me all my coins

juicecube
Nov 14, 2004

I got a two week gig out here in Port Hope
Sigh my local best buy flyer advertised in their video game section the following consoles: ps3, 3ds, xbox 360. That is all

Brinty
Aug 4, 2012

juicecube posted:

Sigh my local best buy flyer advertised in their video game section the following consoles: ps3, 3ds, xbox 360. That is all

How dare they not support and advertise the Ouya!

In all seriousness, those are probably where 99% of their sales are right now so you can hardly blame them.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

juicecube posted:

No Vita either

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
So looking into that Wonderful 101 release date thing I came across this document that supposedly "leaked" from NoA:

It's almost definitely fake (SUPER SECRET GUYS!) but in the very unlikely case that it is real then the end of the year would be very unhealthy for my wallet.

I find it pretty hard to believe they'll have any of X, SMTxFE, Mario Kart, or Smash done and out this year considering they've shown nothing/almost nothing of them at all (well maybe they'll rush out Mario Kart, but that's the only one on the list I could not give less of a gently caress about). Same for Bayo 2. Still we can always hope :allears:

AngryCaterpillar posted:

No Vita either

I don't think that's a comparison Nintendo want people making :buddy:

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Crowbear posted:

I don't think that's a comparison Nintendo want people making :buddy:

I know. I'm saying the Vita has no games either.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Crowbear posted:

I find it pretty hard to believe they'll have any of X, SMTxFE, Mario Kart, or Smash done and out this year considering they've shown nothing/almost nothing of them at all (well maybe they'll rush out Mario Kart, but that's the only one on the list I could not give less of a gently caress about). Same for Bayo 2. Still we can always hope :allears:

Mario Kart and Smash Bros are big titles, I don't think they'd ever debut them outside of E3. I could definitely see MK8 being released in November/December. No way is Smash Bros out this year though.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

AngryCaterpillar posted:

I know. I'm saying the Vita has no games either.

Yeah. As an owner of both, let me just say :negative:

KimT posted:

Mario Kart and Smash Bros are big titles, I don't think they'd ever debut them outside of E3. I could definitely see MK8 being released in November/December. No way is Smash Bros out this year though.

Definitely. If any of the really big games were coming out this year I would have thought they'd have been unveiled at last year's E3, unless Nintendo have really taken the complaints about them announcing stuff too early to heart and are going for the polar opposite "AND IT'S OUT NOW" strategy.

Semi-related, but I read this article earlier and thought it was interesting. I definitely agree that having the highest quality games for their franchises is the most important thing to Nintendo and that they shouldn't rush stuff out, but man it still feels like they've mismanaged things/they aren't adapting to HD development as fast as they should have if its taking their studios this long to put out Wii U games after their last projects.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

kirbysuperstar posted:

I don't know what sort of answer they expected.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crowbear posted:

This is Nintendo. They don't show anything until they're almost ready to ship it.

But I agree with you in principle. We'll probably get one of those for the holiday season, not all of them.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Crowbear posted:

Yeah. As an owner of both, let me just say :negative:

I have shitloads of games on my Vita, but PS+ will do that.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
It's pretty much guaranteed we'll get another Nintendo Direct on April 24 during the Wii U system update right?

Also noticed that they don't play a single song during the Earthbound preview.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Random Stranger posted:

This is Nintendo. They don't show anything until they're almost ready to ship it.

But I agree with you in principle. We'll probably get one of those for the holiday season, not all of them.

I kinda think there will be a big game blitz at E3 this year. There has to be if they want to have any kind of Christmas at all. Next gen consoles are launching, the Wii U is already floundering because it has so few games. They'll have to come out swinging.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Der Shovel posted:

I kinda think there will be a big game blitz at E3 this year. There has to be if they want to have any kind of Christmas at all. Next gen consoles are launching, the Wii U is already floundering because it has so few games. They'll have to come out swinging.

My guess is we'll see Smash, Mario Kart, Wii Fit and possibly something we either didn't think about or didn't know was so far into development (maybe Bayonetta 2?). Christmas is going to be a big time for the console and you can already see them planning a lot. Hence why Earthbound is likely to come out then. They want a big fourth quarter.

I hope this doesn't turn the thread into WHAT I THINK NINTENDO WILL DO but I got a feeling Nintendo wants to top having Sonic and Snake from Brawl. Mega Man would be one of my guesses. It'd be the best game he has been in since the 90s.

Wasper
Oct 3, 2012

njsykora posted:

They're mostly ports, right? I can't see Disgaea 3 being new and or a system seller.

Anyways speaking of, nintendo seems to be handling the wiiu like sony is with the vita. Just ignoring it for the most part while they work on the 3ds/ps4.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

njsykora posted:

Plus, some of the PS3 games I bought came with a free Vita version. It's usually Sony's games and indie titles, but it would be cool to see games like Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate do the same.

It still kinda sucks that the Virtual Console doesn't have one store for both the Wii U and 3DS. Nintendo's still dipping its toes into the hot bath of online and downloadable content, if they'd just get in already they'd realise that they could be releasing small, experimental games to fill the release schedule rather than re-releasing their entire catalogue in real time.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Der Shovel posted:

Where are these big games coming from, though? I'm pretty sure all their major studios other than Retro are accounted for at this point, and I don't see any 3rd parties taking risks on a big exclusive.

They'll have Mario and Mario Kart playable, they'll officially unveil Smash and X, and maybe they'll reveal what Retro is working on. I don't think that could be considered a blitz unless they're all coming out way sooner than people expect, and other than Retro's game none of it will be a surprise so I don't think it'll get anyone but Nintendo fans riled up, and they're buying the console anyway.

e: The exception would be if they're doing something radically different with the 3D Mario or Mario Kart. That might get people excited. If it's just another Mario Kart and something that looks like Galaxy 3 not so much.

ee: How the hell did mix up Retro and Relic? Ugh.

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Apr 20, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I don't think there will be any huge surprise this year, Nintendo seems to prefer announcing things throughout the year with their Directs rather than surprising people with a pile of announcements on one day of the year. They even had a pre-E3 Direct last year that spoiled a lot of the actual E3 keynote. Their E3 seems more like a recap for investors who have not seen a single direct.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
A good RPG for my Wii-U would be nice.

No, not a Wii RPG.

A Wii-U RPG.

X of course. But something else.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

A good RPG for my Wii-U would be nice.

No, not a Wii RPG.

A Wii-U RPG.

X of course. But something else.

This would be awesome, but console JRPGs have gotten so rare these days that I wouldn't hold my breath :smith:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Crowbear posted:

This would be awesome, but console JRPGs have gotten so rare these days that I wouldn't hold my breath :smith:

Oh I know. Getting what we got for Gamecube and Wii was pretty amazing as it was. I knew once the cost of gaming went up that huge sprawling JRPGs would be one of the first casualties.

The handhelds have been an amazing home for JRPGs. I played just as much, maybe more JRPGs on DS than any other console/handheld. I would just like to see a JRPG that isn't a Square Enix mess. Guess I'll just be happy with what comes out with X.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Oh I know. Getting what we got for Gamecube and Wii was pretty amazing as it was. I knew once the cost of gaming went up that huge sprawling JRPGs would be one of the first casualties.

The handhelds have been an amazing home for JRPGs. I played just as much, maybe more JRPGs on DS than any other console/handheld. I would just like to see a JRPG that isn't a Square Enix mess. Guess I'll just be happy with what comes out with X.

Crowbear posted:

There's a ton of JRPGs on the PS3 though, and most of them aren't Square-Enix? And most of those DS JRPGs probably are Square/Enix games (and they're pretty good)? :confused:

Katana Gomai fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
Pier Solar HD is on it's way to the Wii U eShop. I've read up on it and it seems like a really great time.

Cryamore's also coming soon, though I'm a little more skeptical about that one.

• Locked thread