Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
The area on the frame there is literally just the paint rubbed off - I think the PO lowsided in deep sand or something. None of the scratches can even be felt by my fingers - it's just the paint rubbed. He said something about getting blown off the road in Colorado, but this was like 2.5-3 years ago when I met up with him to buy it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
You could get some touch up paint in a can, mask it up, and give it a spray. If you're selling it, it doesn't need to be a total pro job - just pro enough to cover the bare metal.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Sagebrush posted:

If it is just cosmetic, though, what's the problem? Will the bike be uninsurable with the scratches or something? I know that getting some nicks on the frame is a good way to total the bike after a crash, but I've never heard of insurance companies checking for that stuff before they write you a policy.

My bike has cosmetic damage from where the PO layer dan'd in 1980, but it's never come up across multiple insurance companies, DMVs in two different countries, two safety inspections and a pair of border crossings.

Personally I'd just be paranoid that any time I got into a little accident that I'd get hosed over by the insurance claiming there was already frame damage unreported. Obviously if it's totaled they aren't going to distinguish it but if you have rash on the left side of the frame and went down on the right it's a little more sketchy. I have no idea if this would actually occur but it's enough of a chance that I'd rather not find out.

Anyone have any anecdotal evidence either way?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

BlackMK4 posted:

Alright, what should I be asking for this thing? It's a 2006 with 9900mi, brand new Pilot Road 2s, and has a little bit of damage from a drop by the previous owner.

pics

List at 3800-4000, depending on comparable bikes in your market, sell for 3500ish.

JP Money posted:

Personally I'd just be paranoid that any time I got into a little accident that I'd get hosed over by the insurance claiming there was already frame damage unreported. Obviously if it's totaled they aren't going to distinguish it but if you have rash on the left side of the frame and went down on the right it's a little more sketchy. I have no idea if this would actually occur but it's enough of a chance that I'd rather not find out.

Having just gone through this, that's never going to happen unless you are pulling some seriously shady poo poo or your insurance company is filled with complete assholes.

The main reason I'm insured through State Farm, really. My 675 already had a salvage title, and they paid out full value as they judge it on replacement value for a bike in similar shape, regardless of title status (they consider a repaired salvage title bike to be the same thing as a clean title bike). The value they paid out was twice what I was into the bike, I got the bike back (although it's no longer street usable, so trackbike only), and bought a Ducati 999 with the payout. Win/win/win. I thanked my insurance agent for buying me a new bike when I saw him today :D

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

JP Money posted:

2 Cases, one of my friends had his bike written off because the swingarm had a scratch and the other one was written off because the steering stop was cracked.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well yeah, it's well known that insurance companies will write off a bike for even the slightest frame damage. I was wondering if there was ever a case of an insurance company refusing to pay out because of prior superficial cosmetic frame damage -- especially damage that happened before you bought the bike -- by arguing that the bike itself was unroadworthy before the accident.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Well yeah, it's well known that insurance companies will write off a bike for even the slightest frame damage. I was wondering if there was ever a case of an insurance company refusing to pay out because of prior superficial cosmetic frame damage -- especially damage that happened before you bought the bike -- by arguing that the bike itself was unroadworthy before the accident.

That's not really how insurance works. They insure bikes based on their estimated value based on year. Not based on what it's really worth. They can't really say "Sorry, we had no idea your bike was THAT lovely!"

The only way it could come into play would be that they may try to give you a lower than KBB value for your bike because it was not in good condition and thus only 80% of KBB value will be enough to "make you whole".

In my own experience dealing with insurance, for cars, they've not cared about existing damage, in one case they basically fixed existing damage AFTER I told them it was existing. In another case the bodyshop fixed some existing damage at no cost due to other work being done.

If you are not at fault, you should expect more than fair value for your bike. (Not that it will be offered first time around, but it's only fair.)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yes I know that. The question is "will they determine that you are at fault for the accident regardless of what happens because you're riding what they call an unsafe vehicle," not whether the scratches change the KBB value. Like if you crashed because you were riding with knowingly busted brakes, and they could prove it, that would count as your fault.

Insurance adjusters *will* try to find a reason to not pay out if they can. I have a friend of a friend who got nothing when he swerved to avoid hitting a deer and went off the road, because while a deer-strike is covered, there was no deer impact so they considered the damage to have been caused in this case by a controlled departure from the roadway. Same as if he just fell asleep at the wheel.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Thats why it's better to have clipped the deer on your way off the roadway.

Part of having a good experience with insurance is figuring out what is and isnt covered. Also, collision would have covered that accident, although it would be considered an at fault.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
I noticed today that the switchblocks, and other black bits of plastic on my 675 have kind of faded since when I bought them, is it possible that this is just dirt/oxidization or something that I can clean/fix?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Most plastics fade with exposure to sunlight. You can sand it down to bring out an undamaged layer of plastic and them cover them in an UV protecting clearcoat, but for stock parts like switchblocks it's probably easier to replace them or just give them a lick of paint.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Yes I know that. The question is "will they determine that you are at fault for the accident regardless of what happens because you're riding what they call an unsafe vehicle," not whether the scratches change the KBB value. Like if you crashed because you were riding with knowingly busted brakes, and they could prove it, that would count as your fault.

Insurance adjusters *will* try to find a reason to not pay out if they can. I have a friend of a friend who got nothing when he swerved to avoid hitting a deer and went off the road, because while a deer-strike is covered, there was no deer impact so they considered the damage to have been caused in this case by a controlled departure from the roadway. Same as if he just fell asleep at the wheel.

It is not up to the insurance companies to determine fault. They're kinda a biased party. It's up to the police. This is why you want a police report. Does your state have motorcycle inspections? If so. If it passes. It's 100% good for the street.

If they violated your right of way while you happened to have no brakes, still their fault.

With that said, stuff like not wearing gear has come into play in civil suits where insurance companies argued that you had failed to adequately protect yourself so the fact that you can never see right out of one eye because you messed up your optic nerve is partially your fault for wearing an open helmet. So I can see how they could claim that riding around on a faulty bike means that you share some of the blame thus they are only responsible for some of the injuries sustained.

In the case of your friend - it's very much standard to treat "I swerved to avoid a ______" as complete bullshit by insurance companies. They pretty much assume you were drunk - saying "You may have fallen asleep" is them being nice and not saying what they really think. They treat it as a single vehicle accident with you at fault unless you are able to produce a reliable witness who is willing to wait for the cops to show up who will produce an official statement.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

Sagebrush posted:

The reason bikes get written off is because it is insurance's obligation to return your bike back to the condition it was in prior to the wreck. If you've scratched up the frame the only way to do that is to replace the frame which is really expensive and generally not worth it.

theperminator posted:

I noticed today that the switchblocks, and other black bits of plastic on my 675 have kind of faded since when I bought them, is it possible that this is just dirt/oxidization or something that I can clean/fix?

I'd try some back to black.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

This stuff works great for restoring color to plastic. I've had good luck with it, plus its UV resistant.

http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-...pace+protectant

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Z3n posted:

List at 3800-4000, depending on comparable bikes in your market, sell for 3500ish.

Having just gone through this, that's never going to happen unless you are pulling some seriously shady poo poo or your insurance company is filled with complete assholes.

The main reason I'm insured through State Farm, really. My 675 already had a salvage title, and they paid out full value as they judge it on replacement value for a bike in similar shape, regardless of title status (they consider a repaired salvage title bike to be the same thing as a clean title bike). The value they paid out was twice what I was into the bike, I got the bike back (although it's no longer street usable, so trackbike only), and bought a Ducati 999 with the payout. Win/win/win. I thanked my insurance agent for buying me a new bike when I saw him today :D

This makes me feel like things will turn out okay after I inevitably get hit by a Seattle driver. My agent knows who I am by first name. She's so nice. Yay for State Farm.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

FileNotFound posted:

In the case of your friend - it's very much standard to treat "I swerved to avoid a ______" as complete bullshit by insurance companies. They pretty much assume you were drunk - saying "You may have fallen asleep" is them being nice and not saying what they really think. They treat it as a single vehicle accident with you at fault unless you are able to produce a reliable witness who is willing to wait for the cops to show up who will produce an official statement.

I feel the need to reinforce this with this statement: Insurance companies don't make money by giving it out in big chunks.

If the specific adjuster thinks he can "buy your loyalty" for a few hundred bucks, that's one thing. Giving you more than about three years' premiums is something else.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I feel the need to reinforce this with this statement: Insurance companies don't make money by giving it out in big chunks.

If the specific adjuster thinks he can "buy your loyalty" for a few hundred bucks, that's one thing. Giving you more than about three years' premiums is something else.

Insurance has a really simple way of working: They insure you for what you pay them for. If you pay them to cover you no matter what, then they cover you no matter what. If they'll cover animal strikes, then you need to actually hit the animal to get covered. It seems unfair to not get covered because you were trying to save the animal's life and crashed as a result of it, but this is why while I will brake and honk to avoid hitting an animal, I'm not going to swerve off the road. FWIW, we've had about 10k of payout over the last 2 years, which more than covers our premiums. They'll statistically make it back in the long run, but frankly, having getting a giant chunk of cash when my bike is stolen is exactly why I have insurance.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Insurance companies make money because of the general consensus that people are willing to pay X amount of dollars to protect themselves from an otherwise catastrophic income shock. Statistically speaking, these events are extraordinarily rare so the insurance company doesn't usually mind if they have to pay out a crazy amount-- because it's already calculated into what you and everyone else buying into the plans are already paying.

Very rarely an insurance company is capable of breaking even on an individual who actually has a major payout, but the people who don't actually need the payouts more than makes up for these.

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011
Might be an odd question, but is it ok to just hop on any bike when you're at the dealership? I've never spent much time at them, but I was at one earlier this week to pick up a part. There was a Daytona 675 sitting there so I hopped on it. Personally, If I were a salesman my rear end in a top hat would pucker up tighter than a snare drum if some guy, riding experience unknown, came in off the street and started humping $13k motorcycles, but I'm sure they must be insured against damage incurred in the showroom?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Gweenz posted:

Might be an odd question, but is it ok to just hop on any bike when you're at the dealership? I've never spent much time at them, but I was at one earlier this week to pick up a part. There was a Daytona 675 sitting there so I hopped on it. Personally, If I were a salesman my rear end in a top hat would pucker up tighter than a snare drum if some guy, riding experience unknown, came in off the street and started humping $13k motorcycles, but I'm sure they must be insured against damage incurred in the showroom?

Generally it is, but it's good etiquette to ask first. Be conscious of how much room is between bikes in a crowded showroom, you don't want to stand one up and smack into another one. If a bike has a sign with some variant of "don't sit on me", "don't touch" or "SOLD" it's off-limits.

It's generally pretty clear who's respectful enough of the equipment that they're not going to cause problems, and who is a squid who's gonna jump up and down on everything and potentially do damage.

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

2000 Xt225, carbs 101 symptom: Any time I go hard WOT the bike kind of misses a beat, kind of like there's not enough fuel for a split second before the bike takes off. It's not like slow throttle response, it acts like I slammed the throttle shut, THEN went wide open. Definitely carb related, any ideas or suggestions?

Gweenz
Jan 27, 2011

Snowdens Secret posted:

Generally it is, but it's good etiquette to ask first. Be conscious of how much room is between bikes in a crowded showroom, you don't want to stand one up and smack into another one. If a bike has a sign with some variant of "don't sit on me", "don't touch" or "SOLD" it's off-limits.

It's generally pretty clear who's respectful enough of the equipment that they're not going to cause problems, and who is a squid who's gonna jump up and down on everything and potentially do damage.

I did feel like a bit of a douche after doing it, it would have been more polite of me to just ask. The presence of motorcycles turns us into slobbering heathens.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

stevobob posted:

2000 Xt225, carbs 101 symptom: Any time I go hard WOT the bike kind of misses a beat, kind of like there's not enough fuel for a split second before the bike takes off. It's not like slow throttle response, it acts like I slammed the throttle shut, THEN went wide open. Definitely carb related, any ideas or suggestions?

Accelerator pump would be my guess, does the carb have one?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Gweenz posted:

I did feel like a bit of a douche after doing it, it would have been more polite of me to just ask. The presence of motorcycles turns us into slobbering heathens.

Don't feel too bad, I hopped onto one without asking once, jumped straight off and then went over and asked if I could have a feel of it, and if they wanted to watch to keep an eye on it.

They came over and tried to talk me into buying it.

I really wanted to buy it :(

stevobob
Nov 16, 2008

Alchemy - the study of how to turn LS1's into a 20B. :science:

Ola posted:

Accelerator pump would be my guess, does the carb have one?

I'm not entirely sure but I don't think it does. I'm looking at a diagram and it's not listed. http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=46886&category=Motorcycles&make=YAMAHA&year=2000&fveh=958#.UXM7TrXvsvk

Ambihelical Hexnut
Aug 5, 2008

Z3n posted:

Thats why it's better to have clipped the deer on your way off the roadway.

Part of having a good experience with insurance is figuring out what is and isnt covered. Also, collision would have covered that accident, although it would be considered an at fault.

Animal feces all over the bike is sufficient evidence of hitting the deer. So if you ever do swerve to avoid, and don't have collision but do have deer strike coverage, just get someone to spray poop everywhere!:thumbsup:

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Ambihelical Hexnut posted:

just get someone to spray poop everywhere!:thumbsup:

Embrace your inner goon and DIY.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This stuff works great for restoring color to plastic. I've had good luck with it, plus its UV resistant.

http://www.amazon.com/303-Products-...pace+protectant

Awesome, I got some and it worked wonders. everything looks good as new. thanks.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

Is there some special voodoo y'all do to keep your visors (and glasses too) from fogging up? Even at freeway speeds I really have to regulate my breathing and if there's even a hint of rain I gotta keep it cracked. Always needs to be cracked if I'm under 60mph. I have a shoei and a huge head so I can actually 'kiss' the inside of the helmet with ease.

Aftermarket visors? Special spray? Just get contacts and run with the visor open ALWAYS!? I leave for a 2,000 mile trip on Thursday, help!!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I just crack it, down to 25 it's not bad. Below that my forehead gets cold.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

tranten posted:

Is there some special voodoo y'all do to keep your visors (and glasses too) from fogging up? Even at freeway speeds I really have to regulate my breathing and if there's even a hint of rain I gotta keep it cracked. Always needs to be cracked if I'm under 60mph. I have a shoei and a huge head so I can actually 'kiss' the inside of the helmet with ease.

Aftermarket visors? Special spray? Just get contacts and run with the visor open ALWAYS!? I leave for a 2,000 mile trip on Thursday, help!!

Rain-Ox has a anti-fog version that works great, usually just opening the air sliders on my helmet clears it up for me though.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

tranten posted:

Clear dish soap on the inside. Put on a single drop and spread it around with a lint-free cloth.

It works precisely as well as the RainX no-fog stuff, and it's so cheap as to be almost free.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

tranten posted:

I have a shoei and a huge head so I can actually 'kiss' the inside of the helmet with ease.

You may have a long oval head. If you can kiss the chinbar, it can kiss you right back and hard if you take a hit to the face. Try on an Arai Signet-Q or Profile and see how it fits. Alternately see about getting newer/ bigger cheekpads to hold your head further back in the helmet and get you some clearance.

Forty Two
Jun 8, 2007
See if you can get a pinlock insert. I've had on in my current helmet for the 3 years that I've had it and it still works brilliantly. I could never go back to not having one, unless someone invented some kind of miracle spray on stuff

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Forty Two posted:

See if you can get a pinlock insert. I've had on in my current helmet for the 3 years that I've had it and it still works brilliantly. I could never go back to not having one, unless someone invented some kind of miracle spray on stuff

Seconding this, they're incredible andI wouldn't be without mine either.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Forty Two posted:

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

Seconding this, they're incredible andI wouldn't be without mine either.

The higher end shark helmets (and some other brands I assume) have a hollow visor which acts like double glazed glass and simply will not fog regardless of what you do. It works better than my shoei with a pinlock.

I need a new helmet :(

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Dumb question, but is there a better or worse place to be sitting on a motorcycle seat? I usually scrunch up to the tank. :ohdear:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Xovaan posted:

Dumb question, but is there a better or worse place to be sitting on a motorcycle seat? I usually scrunch up to the tank. :ohdear:

I've always been taught to sit far back in the seat so my legs can clamp the sides of the tank more effectively. I feel much more in control of the bike when I do this, but I don't know if that's because it's a better seating position or if I've just gotten used to riding that way.

I have a question. I Bought this a couple of days ago:

Does anyone know what sort of bike the rear swingarm is from? It definitely is not the factory one and I want to know if it'll affect the handling, and if so for better or worse.

It also has a neptune can which sounds OK I guess. From what I've read on the net, normally they have a catalytic converter hidden inside the can so obviously this will flow a fair bit better. How can I determine if the bike has been re-jetted for the new can? I've never ridden another ZRX and so I'm wondering if it's possible to tell by examining the carbs somehow?

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Xovaan posted:

I usually sit further back the more I'm donging it up and am usually more forward when riding around town and filtering.

As Slavvy said; sitting further back helps with gripping the tank with your legs. Though if you do have to brake hard for anything, say one of the hundreds of loving suicidal pheasants we have around here, this can lead to a severe case of squashed nuts syndrome - I really need to pick up some stompgrips or something similar :(

Slavvy posted:

...hollow visor...

That sounds amazing, I might have to see if you can get them for the Shark helmet I have. I could do with a new visor after a truck helpfully cannoned a huge rock into mine the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

That sounds amazing, I might have to see if you can get them for the Shark helmet I have. I could do with a new visor after a truck helpfully cannoned a huge rock into mine the other day.

4/20 wear full face helmets every day for this reason.