Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

I think the bottom photo is stunning, but the noise is quite terrible in the bottom-left and under her jaw. It looks great and adds to the photo otherwise throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

sw1gger posted:

Awesome man - diggin the treatment/film! Can't tell which one I like the most. I'm leaning towards the middle one.
Pinup:

Nice light, I'd like to ferret around in your curve layers.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

XTimmy posted:

Nice light, I'd like to ferret around in your curve layers.

Personally I'd like to ferret around in her curve layers.

That's a pretty awesome photo.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
Took some of a friend of mine. I like the wild hair on the first one, but I need to get better at cloning to fix the errant strands in the second.

DSC03129_a by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC03063 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

SoundMonkey
Apr 22, 2006

I just push buttons.

QPZIL posted:

Personally I'd like to ferret around in her curve layers.

:catstare:

thetzar
Apr 22, 2001
Fallen Rib

LargeHadron posted:

Took some of a friend of mine. I like the wild hair on the first one, but I need to get better at cloning to fix the errant strands in the second.

DSC03129_a by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC03063 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

I really, really like the first one. I really, really dislike the second.

The first has great contrast, an intense look, and a good use of depth of field. It feels dynamic and raw. She looks dangerous, and it's great.

The second shot, though, just seems meh in comparison. She's extremely yellow, and the shadow of her hair on her face hives her a very oval look, which I don't think does her any favors. It just seems... drab.

And now... gels!

Ryan, for the last time by thetzar, on Flickr

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Alternate on last:

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001

This is incredible, the geometric forms... magic. It reminds me of the Echoes (Pink Floyd best-of) album cover.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.
I did some more headshots. I decided to go a little more extreme with the processing, does anyone think it's distasteful?

DSC03281_a by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC03340 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC03357 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
I like them, they look like they're processed just right to me. The highlights on the third one in the cheek/neck area are a little bright.

William T. Hornaday
Nov 26, 2007

Don't tap on the fucking glass!
I swear to god I'll cut off your fucking fingers and feed them to the otters for enrichment.
The first one is pretty close to looking like a colorized black and white photo.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The backlighting on her face is pretty jarring.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

evil_bunnY posted:

The backlighting on her face is pretty jarring.

It's meant to be - by placing the lantern slightly below her face I get both a kicker and a bit of horror lighting.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Ashley by xxyzx road, on Flickr

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

What's up with the skin tones on her calf? It also looks like there is a line extending from the corner of her mouth out across her face... and her skin is kind of yellowish near where her left leg meets her shorts. Otherwise, I like!

David Pratt
Apr 21, 2001
Going through my holiday photos, this one really jumped out

Coffee by fuglsnef, on Flickr

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

David Pratt posted:

I like that, it's strangely intriguing. The crazy amount of head room does it for me, I don't know why though.

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008
That's my purse! I don't know you!

RangerScum posted:

What's up with the skin tones on her calf? It also looks like there is a line extending from the corner of her mouth out across her face... and her skin is kind of yellowish near where her left leg meets her shorts. Otherwise, I like!

Other than the little bit of yellow I don't see any of what you're seeing?

I like it too though!

Model showed up late and forgot to finish her makeup and had to do it in a car -_-;;;;;;; The thing on her cheek is a Taurus sign. I think I will photoshop it out if I use for my site but haven't decided yet. I also may adopt a policy of chopping off the hands of models who wear hairties on their wrists after I ask them to remove.

Oprah Haza fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Apr 23, 2013

RangerScum
Apr 6, 2006

lol hey there buddy

Oprah Haza posted:

Other than the little bit of yellow I don't see any of what you're seeing?

I think the yellow is just from the light coming through her shorts, it's nothing glaring but eh, I noticed it. The bit around the mouth isn't too visible at this size, but I didn't pixel peep the image and it was still noticeable.

I do like the photo though, just a couple quick things to make it better.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
Went out for a walk to test out my new 40/2.8 stm (I do not see myself taking this lens off any time soon) and this guy started talking to me about landscape architecture and astrology. His name is Tom.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Reichstag posted:

Went out for a walk to test out my new 40/2.8 stm (I do not see myself taking this lens off any time soon) and this guy started talking to me about landscape architecture and astrology. His name is Tom.

I like the sort-of-ambiguous setting here. I also like how it's closing him in, but not crowding him in. It's a nice picture.

Eleonora by McMadCow, on Flickr

sw1gger
Sep 19, 2004
meowcakes

David Pratt posted:

I agree - for some reason I am really drawn to this photo. I like it!

Trying something new:

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

McMadCow posted:

I like the sort-of-ambiguous setting here. I also like how it's closing him in, but not crowding him in. It's a nice picture.

Eleonora by McMadCow, on Flickr

As always there's a real sense of unease with this that I find really compelling. The composition feels a little unbalanced with only one corner being black but I guess that's a result of the process.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

A couple that I like from my first paid photo shoot ever

DSC03223_a by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC03244 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

Apparently something from this shoot is going to end up on a CD album insert, no big deal or anything :smug:

LargeHadron fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 24, 2013

rio
Mar 20, 2008

^

Both good but really digging the first one. The eyes are kind of lost in the second shot.

DSCF2874-5 by Paul Hofreiter, on Flickr

I have been trying to practice post work on non ideal lighting situations for when they inevitably happen to me, so I sat my daughter down in front of a screen window with the light behind her to put a shadow right on her face. I don't know if I went too far with the processing - I wanted to try to keep it looking fairly natural and not like I was just trying to recover a bad shot.

sw1gger posted:

Trying something new:

Quick thing that I noticed that happens to me sometimes too (but you might be ok with) - it is a bit oversaturated around the ear. It is an easy fix if it bothers you. I like it otherwise - I might have been tempted to tame the neck texture a little bit.

rio fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Apr 25, 2013

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Too much eyes. There's also a bunch of blown out pixels on the shirt - bring down the saturation in the reds (and probably overall).

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

LargeHadron posted:

A couple that I like from my first paid photo shoot ever

DSC03223_a by LargeHadron, on Flickr

DSC03244 by LargeHadron, on Flickr

Apparently something from this shoot is going to end up on a CD album insert, no big deal or anything :smug:

First is nice, second would have benefited from a reflector perhaps?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Chitin posted:

Too much eyes. There's also a bunch of blown out pixels on the shirt - bring down the saturation in the reds (and probably overall).

I was going back and forth on the eyes for a while - I probably should have waited until tomorrow to look at it fresh. You are right, thanks.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Please don't think you need to edit out shadows caused by the light or minor skin tone variations. That's part of the deal with shooting outside and what makes location shots more interesting.

My only stylistic criticism would be that unless the scenery is as pretty as the girl, you should be filling the frame with her as much as possible. Tighten up the framing unless you have a reason to show background or location.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

Paragon8 posted:

Please don't think you need to edit out shadows caused by the light or minor skin tone variations. That's part of the deal with shooting outside and what makes location shots more interesting.

My only stylistic criticism would be that unless the scenery is as pretty as the girl, you should be filling the frame with her as much as possible. Tighten up the framing unless you have a reason to show background or location.

Right, while I do appreciate all the feedback, I didn't have the intention to retouch shadows. I agree a tighter crop might be better.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

Juliette by McMadCow, on Flickr

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

I really enjoy how you've burned the outside edges of the frame, so it almost feels like she's emerging from the frame at bottom. That hand pose is also unsettling, along with all the darkness. Nice job!

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

I feel like it's a happy accident when I manage to get a decent shot with my new flash. I have no idea what I'm doing.

IMG_5096 by philip painter, on Flickr

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Reichstag posted:

40mm pancakes own.

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.
Trying my hand at corporate shots for LinkedIn for a client.

JB #1 by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Oprah Haza
Jan 25, 2008

Cyberbob posted:

Trying my hand at corporate shots for LinkedIn for a client.

JB #1 by Rick0r McZany, on Flickr

Would you be ok with critique of this image?

Cyberbob
Mar 29, 2006
Prepare for doom. doom. doooooom. doooooom.

Oprah Haza posted:

Would you be ok with critique of this image?

Shoot, I know it's not perfect for a number of reasons, so I'm eager to hear your thoughts.

There's more if you follow my Flickr link, but both me and the client thought this was the better of the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

sw1gger posted:

Trying something new:

Now how the heck did you pull that off? Nice job!

This was shot with the Pentax 6x7, but I don't remember the film type.