Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Malcolm XML posted:

We must journey to the ivory tower to question wadler himself

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaqC5FnvAEc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Malcolm XML posted:

Well all that means is that it isn't a free monad but I still very much doubt the monad laws hold which is a bigger problem

i don't actually know much about monads in a general category theory context, just haskell :shobon:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

yaoi prophet posted:

i don't actually know much about monads in a general category theory context, just haskell :shobon:

actually i'm not entirely sure that the opposite of a restricted monad (like Ord a => Set a) is properly called "free" since that means something specific w.r.t. categories

but confusingly a bunch of monads are in fact the free monads on a particular functor (since the free monoid on a set is essentially a list, the free monad on a functor is structurally very similar to a list)

Categories for the Working Mathematician is really good, anything by Mac Lane is great since he both invented categories and writes very well

but the rabbit-hole is deep and treacherous

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
for anyone looking to explore horrible pseudo-languages, try beanshell

we had this integrated somewhere for a long time because code injection via XML was a `great` idea except it was an XML file and 99% of developers apparently can't write proper java without a 500mb IDE.

muh squiggly red lines

there was an unresolved issue for 3 months because someone used arrayThing[5] instead of arrayThing.get(5)

MeruFM fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Apr 17, 2013

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lmao forever at retards who hate ides and the massively huge benefits they provide over garbage text editors

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
rofl beanshell

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

lmao forever at retards who hate ides and the massively huge benefits they provide over garbage text editors

pshh i can't call it ~code poetry~ if a MACHINE writes it

bespoke subs, artisanal callbacks

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
IDEs are fine, they're great for refactoring

i just find the idea of changing to a scripting language lookalike because the IDE isn't working for the static language funny

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Shaggar posted:

on the other side you get people who literally can't work on a file if the IDE hasn't been customized to hold their hand through it

notepad supremacy

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

funny compiler

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

quote:

Adventures in Undefined Behavior

I recently had to write my own malloc. While replacing important bits of the C standard library would normally be serious over-engineering, it turned out to be the only option.

The Backstory
We had taken over an embedded project with known stability issues, and I quickly determined that thread race conditions were involved. After fixing some low-hanging fruit by switching to mailboxes and queues for cross-thread communication, there was still strange behavior — in particular, certain actions could cause infinite loops after a few tries or during heavy network activity.

Once I was able to consistently reproduce the issue, I focused on the affected code: One thread was allocating memory to notify the other about user input, the other allocated a response and put it on the network stack’s outgoing queue, and then both were freed. Two threads were allocating memory to send messages to each other safely, then freeing the buffers at the same time. If I commented out the free(2), the instability went away (at least until memory was exhausted). Ack! There was a race condition in free(2) itself! After consulting the C99 standard (free draft) and Harbison and Steele, I confirmed that malloc/free/etc. are not required to be reentrant, they just are on most platforms because doing otherwise is a world of pain. Unfortunately, that doesn’t include embedded platforms.

The race condition was during the update of free(2)’s internal records. If one thread free’d memory, but suspended while it was being returned to the freelist, another thread could free memory and clobber the freelist in mid-update. Since the updates were neither locked nor atomic, this could cause a cycle, and subsequent calls to malloc could get stuck in it.

Like most embedded projects, most data structures were statically allocated, but some libraries used dynamic allocation. In particular, a proprietary network stack library directly called malloc and free, so I couldn’t just wrap all their calls in a mutex. The embedded platform’s compiler had an option to generate a reentrant version of the standard library, but (despite what its documentation strongly implied!) this never called the lock/unlock callbacks I had to provide. As a last resort, I could monkeypatch all the standard library memory management functions — malloc, free, realloc, and calloc were weak symbols, and if I defined them with proper types, mine would be linked instead.

Lessons Learned
1. Design for Discoverability, Even in a Hex Dump
I had enough space to log allocations, but only in a packed format. (Unless I logged to flash, but that modified timing enough to break network functionality.) Still, I could control the structure, and had a few bytes of padding. All of my allocations were wrapped by four bytes on each side — two ‘[’ characters, a uint16_t size (not counting padding), the actual memory, then two ‘]’s and a uint16_t monotonic allocation ID. That way, I could detect most buffer overruns at runtime, but this also meant that memory dumps looked like this:

..[[..230p8.80aeuoa$u.80ahhte&au-theothsnth]]..[[..$#(*GU>JH.hej]]..

00000000 2e 2e 5b 5b 2e 2e 32 33 30 70 38 2e 38 30 61 65 |..[[..230p8.80ae|
00000010 75 6f 61 24 75 2e 38 30 61 68 68 74 65 26 61 75 |uoa$u.80ahhte&au|
00000020 2d 74 68 65 6f 74 68 73 6e 74 68 5d 5d 2e 2e 5b |-theothsnth]]..[|
00000030 5b 2e 2e 24 23 28 2a 47 55 3e 4a 48 2e 68 65 6a |[..$#(*GU>JH.hej|
00000040 5d 5d 2e 2e 0a |]]...|
and the relative allocation sizes stood out. Also, after internal bookkeeping, the 2N-sized linked lists for common allocation sizes were filled with ‘L’s (for “link”), any memory in the large-chunk freelist was set to ‘F’s, and otherwise un-initialized heap memory was initialized to ‘u’s. This meant I could see the general state of the heap at a glance, and some kinds of pointer corruption stood out: the network stack was freeing memory mis-aligned to its allocation, causing one allocation to nest in another.

Similarly, I logged allocation metadata to a ring buffer in memory. Each of the records had a few bytes of padding (‘ ’ characters) so lines wrapped at 16 bytes, and looked like a s1s2 PpppCccc where a was ’m’ (malloc), ‘f’ (free), ‘r’ (realloc), or ‘c’ (calloc), s1 and s2 were sizes (pre- and post- for realloc, otherwise 0 for s2), P was the pointer, and C was the same ID that followed the closing brackets. I came to recognize certain patterns in the log at a glance. Later, I was able to chase down a memory leak by converting the SREC memory dump to a human readable format, then cancelling out all freed allocations with awk. (Yes, I did miss valgrind.)

2. Malloc & Co. Have Many Edge Cases
The contracts assumed by malloc, free, realloc and calloc are more complicated than they appear. I see now why Lua’s designers chose to wrap them all in one function, lua_Alloc (whose design is closest to realloc). I didn’t know that when realloc is called on a NULL, it’s equivalent to malloc. malloc(0), while pointless, is legal, but implementation defined. free(2) and realloc(2) are full of undefined behavior. (I’d also never seen anyone actually use calloc before.)

3. Many C Programs Are Too Cavalier about Error Conditions
People debate whether it’s worth checking malloc(2)’s result for NULL when virtual memory (or the [OOM killer]) will pick up slack on modern systems, but few embedded systems have such things. If malloc returned NULL, things went haywire. The “C/C++” implementation of msgpack was usually the first thing to fail. (Spot the bug.) Systems need to check input for security and stability, and dynamic memory allocation is another place where bad data can creep in.

4. Fail Early and Loudly
The spoonful of memory corruption tends to compound on itself, eventually leading to swarms of mind-boggling bugs whose root cause is distant in space and time. Instead of letting the system struggle on, creating issues that will seem too bizarre to reproduce, it’s best to just halt everything and alert developers while there’s still a chance for a meaningful autopsy.

Closing
While the code (“spaceman,” since it manages space) is not open source, I may write a less-platform-specific version if there is interest. The overall design is similar to my mpool project on github, except that was written for a VM for an APL dialect I’ve been working on, and it doesn’t have any of the concessions to embedded platforms’ limitations (e.g. it assumes mmap(2)).

i really don't get C hipsters

while it really doesn't apply much to this article, since it's about embedded development, people prattling off about how they can keep a model of their program in their mind because of how simple c is piss me off.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
You can tell that guy didn't start out as a C programmer because he refers to playing linker games as monkeypatching

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
it's also kind of funny that the Right Answer (eliminating dynamic allocation where it was causing the problem because it wasn't actually needed) was in front of him and he just about stumbled upon it before writing his own malloc anyways

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
tl;dr
that's a lot of words for not much of anything

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Condiv posted:

it's cause it's vintage.

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
C is good cause its not C++

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

uG posted:

C is good cause its not C++

that is one of it's finer aspects.

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

guess what platform mandates a thread safe allocator

if you guessed the jvm, congratulations

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx

Otto Skorzeny posted:

You can tell that guy didn't start out as a C programmer because he refers to playing linker games as monkeypatching

also because he says this:

"I recently had to write my own malloc."

followed by this:

"it turned out to be the only option."

complete loving nonsense

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

real c programmers know theres always more than one way to fault a seg

Police Academy III
Nov 4, 2011
my favourite way is when you free something you weren't supposed to and then the next call to malloc gives you the same address back again and you're trying to use the same area of memory for two different purposes and wondering why completely separate areas of your program are loving up each other's poo poo

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
same but not my favorite

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
"it's george costanza" ?>

Condiv posted:

while it really doesn't apply much to this article, since it's about embedded development, people prattling off about how they can keep a model of their program in their mind because of how simple c is piss me off.

people bragging about implementing their own malloc are loving amateur retards.

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?
dude, look how close i am to the metal #themetal #malloc #emm #epicmemorymanagement #pointers

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
**ptr &(int*)(int)ptr;

brb haxxoring here

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
on one of the handful of occasions that I worked with C, I ended up loving an index into a local variable and started stomping on the call stack & corrupting function parameters

good times

Guido van Possum
Apr 7, 2012

by T. Finninho
C more like P

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
how would c with types on the right (a la Rust, Go, etc.) look like?

would you like it?

inquiring minds want to know

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
welsh

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
tom jones was welsh i think

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
hacking for christ :xd:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

honking for christ

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

MononcQc posted:

AMQP wasn't open source community effort at its origins despite being an open standard. It was started by JPMorgan Chase people for the enterprise:

It's the typical big business standardization effort that leads to overspecified poo poo like ws-* and whatnot.

most open sores crazies work for huge businesses, how do you think they get funding?

ibm mqseries is from 1993
biztalk is from 2000

they did not need to reinvent that wheel.

FamDav
Mar 29, 2008
http://gergo.erdi.hu/projects/metafun/

hannnnnnnnnnnn

vapid cutlery
Apr 17, 2007

php:
<?

PleasingFungus posted:

on one of the handful of occasions that I worked with C, I ended up loving an index into a local variable and started stomping on the call stack & corrupting function parameters

good times

i have no idea how you managed to do this accidentally

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
ive done it before accidently its especially p sweet when it will pass its test suite on one machine but not another identical machine

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

i see this argument more and more recently, but is there anyone here except shaggar and maybe tbc who thinks null was not a huge mistake?

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

vapid cutlery posted:

i have no idea how you managed to do this accidentally

it's super easy to do in c, local arrays are on the stack, nothing to stop you indexing beyond the end or beginning , and then you're stomping on all kinds of poo poo

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Condiv posted:

i see this argument more and more recently, but is there anyone here except shaggar and maybe tbc who thinks null was not a huge mistake?

In what context?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uG
Apr 23, 2003

by Ralp
0 == NULL