Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Terminal Velocity was a great game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

haveblue posted:

That looks an awful lot like Terminal Velocity to me, and I know there was at least one other game (Fury^3) that was just TV modded and rebranded.

Hellbender is the sequel to Fury3. Terminal Velocity, Fury3, and Hellbender were all developed by the same company and used the same game engine.

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 18, 2013

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Mak0rz posted:

Hellbender is the sequel to Fury3. Terminal Velocity, Fury3, and Hellbender were all developed by the same company and used the same game engine.

Yep, and apparently it's even possible to merge the games together with a bit of elbow grease.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

:aaaaa:

I loved the poo poo out of Terminal Velocity and this just blew my mind.

I had literally no idea that Terminal Reality were still around and that they developed Bloodrayne and Nocturne and the latest Ghostbusters game.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 18, 2013

Red_Mage
Jul 23, 2007
I SHOULD BE FUCKING PERMABANNED BUT IN THE MEANTIME ASK ME ABOUT MY FAILED KICKSTARTER AND RUNNING OFF WITH THE MONEY

Mak0rz posted:

I liked Fury3, it was less of an FPS and more of a 3d shootemup but it owned.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I remember playing Descent 3 multiplayer with some friends. The first time I got a black shark missile and fired it off I went :aaa: then was crestfallen as I had fired it off into a wide open area where nobody was.

If the classic FPS Steam group was more active I'd be up for D3 multi or D1/D2.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I did the same thing, except that it was because I had fired it into a wall much too close to myself.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Mak0rz posted:

EDIT: I've never played Descent

Here you go. It's :10bux: but you get a lot of gameplay for that :10bux:.

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

WickedIcon posted:

Here you go. It's :10bux: but you get a lot of gameplay for that :10bux:.

I just got Descent (with the DXX Rebirth engine) going today, and it's really fun. I used my 360 controller, and finally got the controls working nicely.

Because the program only recognizes the Right and Left trigger as axes (and I guess they ARE), you can't use them to fire. So I set those to throttle controls, and that works okay. I have RB set to primary fire, which can be annoying if you want to fire and accelerate at the same time, but I just use my middle and index finger up there, and it's good.

Because I really wanted a decent example, I'll put my bindings here:

Left stick: Slide left/right, ascend/descend
Right Stick: Look around
Left trigger: Reverse
Right Trigger: Accelerate
A: Flare
X: Bomb
B: Alternate Primary Fire
Y: Alternate Secondary Fire
LB: Secondary Fire
RB: Primary Fire
Back: Reverse View
Start: Map
D-Pad up: Cycle Primary Fire
D-Pad right: Cycle Secondary Fire
D-Pad left: Alternate Bomb
D-Pad down: Alternate Flare
Left-stick click in: Rotate Left
Right-stick click in: Rotate Right

I realize that those alternate keys aren't necessary, but that's what I have them set to. Sometimes when accelerating I'd rather just hit B instead of hitting RB for primary fire. :)

It's a great game, though. Those dumb driller enemies with the vulcan cannons are (seemingly) a guaranteed loss of 25 shield points or so. Not really sure how to handle them...

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Chinook posted:

I have RB set to primary fire, which can be annoying if you want to fire and accelerate at the same time, but I just use my middle and index finger up there, and it's good.

How else would you hold the pad? For any game that uses both triggers and bumpers, you always want four fingers up there anyway.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Most games on the Xbox never require you to hit a button and a trigger simultaneously (I recall MS actually having a directive about this when I was doing Xbox dev), so you can get away with using one finger for both most of the time. There are probably games where using both fingers gives you an advantage, though, and on a PC where you bind any command to any button it's impossible to avoid that situation.

For drillers in Descent, there are two things you can do. Firstly, homing missiles and smart missiles allow you to hit robots without line of sight (as do mega missiles, but don't waste those on lone drillers). Secondly, since your weapons are mounted on your ship's wings, you can blind-fire around corners without having to expose the entire ship.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 19, 2013

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

Oh my god, DXX-Rebirth is AMAZING. It's like earlier source ports I've used but with none of the bugs or annoying bloat. It's just beautiful.

And yeah wiping out drillers with concussion missiles launched just around a corner is one of my favorite ways to take those fuckers out before they become aware of my presence.

Does DXX-Rebirth have good netcode for coop support? I'd love to play this with someone else on Insane some time.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

KozmoNaut posted:

I had literally no idea that Terminal Reality were still around and that they developed Bloodrayne and Nocturne and the latest Ghostbusters game.

And, most unfortunately, The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Buff Skeleton posted:

Does DXX-Rebirth have good netcode for coop support? I'd love to play this with someone else on Insane some time.

I don't know about co-op (or internet play) but my LAN group has had a lot of fun in the past with D2X-Rebirth in competitive MP.

There's a bit of a weird thing with the server browser though... I'm not sure if I can remember exactly how it goes, but it's something like you have to already be sitting in the server browser at the moment when the game lobby is created, or the moment when someone else joins the lobby, in order for the lobby to appear in your browser. I may not be remembering exactly right but it's something that we managed to work around.

Once we were in the game there were zero issues.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

My Descent control scheme is usually A and D to slide left/right, Space/Ctrl to slide up and down and W and S to move forward and backward with the mouse to aim. It works really well, especially because I'm not really used to using a flight stick for it.

edit: Jesus christ, gently caress the thiefbot. I started up D3 on a whim and got my super laser nicked by it, and it kept surprising me by popping up where I'd least expect it. Managed to finally nail its rear end, but that thing is both infuriating and scary as poo poo at the same time.

Zeether fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Apr 19, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Finally got around to playing some Doom 64 : Absolution. Pretty cool stuff, glad they ported it, playing the actual 64 rom on emulator would feel awkward.

That said, it crashes for me every time I run it no matter what I try to do, unless the absolution folder is in the root director of my HD? :confused: what the gently caress? Anybody else have this / find a workaround? I guess it isn't that big a deal. Awkward though.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I got stuck on the first level and couldn't find the blue key :shobon:

Finally got past it, things are pretty cool. I really enjoy the levels, they're a weird cross of Doom and Quake like you guys said, and the double chainsaw is pretty rad. The enemy sprites are pretty lovely though.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Using Zandorium, how do i get mods that request things such as "Requires latest SVN" to work? I've tried a few hack jobs with GZdoom and im getting nothing. Just want to do something crazy and try to mash Psychic with BTSX and multiplayer :3:

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

Zaphod42 posted:

Finally got around to playing some Doom 64 : Absolution. Pretty cool stuff, glad they ported it, playing the actual 64 rom on emulator would feel awkward.

That said, it crashes for me every time I run it no matter what I try to do, unless the absolution folder is in the root director of my HD? :confused: what the gently caress? Anybody else have this / find a workaround? I guess it isn't that big a deal. Awkward though.
Very simple: Don't play Absolution, play Doom 64 EX. Absolution is a hackjob reconstruction; EX is a port.

You will need an N64 rom to generate the IWAD, but then you'll have a direct PC port of the game, with WASD/mouselook, widescreen support, and all that good stuff.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Shadowmorn posted:

Using Zandorium, how do i get mods that request things such as "Requires latest SVN" to work? I've tried a few hack jobs with GZdoom and im getting nothing. Just want to do something crazy and try to mash Psychic with BTSX and multiplayer :3:

You don't. It won't be possible until Zandronum is updated to be more in line with modern GZDoom.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

RiffRaff1138 posted:

Very simple: Don't play Absolution, play Doom 64 EX. Absolution is a hackjob reconstruction; EX is a port.

You will need an N64 rom to generate the IWAD, but then you'll have a direct PC port of the game, with WASD/mouselook, widescreen support, and all that good stuff.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Okay thanks, I'll try that out. I think maybe I downloaded both and then got confused about what did what?

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Mak0rz posted:

EDIT: I've never played Descent, but all this talk reminds me of the demo for Hellbender that came with my Windows 95 disc. The drat thing was near impossible to play without a 43-axis controller, but I remember having fun with it. Has anyone else played it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARNwWU0APPo

I still remember that rocking music after almost 20 years :allears:

:allears: The Windows 95 era is still my favorite era for video game music by a mile. I guess it was just that perfect storm of improving technology and a lot of creative freedom.

Which ties perfectly into DescentChat, because seriously, that Descent 2 soundtrack is such a masterpiece. I remember for some reason I used to only give it half credit because I was under the impression that it was all licensed music. Then I discovered that the heavily-advertised Type O Negative / Ogre involvement made up about 2 tracks, and the rest was just extremely inventive and well-produced in-house stuff. (Then later I discovered that Type O Negative is awesome anyway.)

I know it's a tired sentiment in this thread, but I really want game studios to take themselves less seriously again. It shows in the soundtracks as well as everything else. Every game has the same dramatic orchestral soundtrack.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

And, most unfortunately, The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct.

And Star Wars Kinect. Ever since they used The Stranger in their early engine demos at the start of this generation, I've been hoping they are beavering away in secret on Nocturne 2 finally whilst doing licensed trash to pay the bills.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The Ghostbusters game is actually rather good. The game part is merely serviceable but they absolutely nailed the franchise feel in the environments, how your teammates interact, and the gadget implementations. You really are the one firing the proton pack, laying down the trap, and corralling ghosts into it.

The only glaring flaw is that they couldn't get Sigourney Weaver to come back, so her role is filled by a new character.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

A noble goon gave me one of the 50% off coupons for Duke3D on Steam, so I got on that last night. It looks and plays really good...better than whatever sourceport I was playing a few years ago.

I only bring this up because I had completely forgotten how loving HARD this game is. I'm playing on the 3rd difficulty out of 4 and was getting wrecked from E1M2. However, I keep forgetting to use my special items, and it took me a while to realize you can dodge the Pigcop's hitscan blasts. So I think I just need to play smarter...at least until I get to those loving drones in E2.

Tecman
Sep 11, 2003

Loading the Universe...
Please Wait.

Pillbug

Mak0rz posted:

Hellbender - I still remember that rocking music after almost 20 years :allears:
Something I didn't realize before because I didn't play that Hellbender video - the music in the video is completely different from what I remember because it actually had two sets of music - the short loops and the CD Audio. And when I reinstalled the game (of course I caved in and reinstalled it) it would only play the type of music in the video you posted until I did a rip of the retail CD and then loaded it up as a virtual drive under the D: drive.

Not to mention I had to use a command-line and a bunch of compatibility tweaking to actually make the setup work in Windows 7. And of course the maximum resolution the game is capable is 640x480.

Old games :allears: .

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tecman posted:

Something I didn't realize before because I didn't play that Hellbender video - the music in the video is completely different from what I remember because it actually had two sets of music - the short loops and the CD Audio. And when I reinstalled the game (of course I caved in and reinstalled it) it would only play the type of music in the video you posted until I did a rip of the retail CD and then loaded it up as a virtual drive under the D: drive.

Ah those days when video games sometimes came with two soundtracks: A CD audio one and a sequenced one in case you didn't have an analog CDA cable attached to your sound card. Usually the sequenced soundtracks were MIDI, but Hellbender used the more sophisticated MOD format that is capable of higher quality sound and was consistent among all hardware. :allears:

Sequenced:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEduUnYjicQ

CD Audio:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtL6kooijkE

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Mak0rz posted:

Ah those days when video games sometimes came with two soundtracks: A CD audio one and a sequenced one in case you didn't have an analog CDA cable attached to your sound card. Usually the sequenced soundtracks were MIDI, but Hellbender used the more sophisticated MOD format that is capable of higher quality sound and was consistent among all hardware. :allears:

Terminal Velocity only had sequenced music, but it was pretty good:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyDXtMzMjSE

I actually dug out my original CD copy of TV from way back when to check. I found this on the CD, a picture of the Terminal Reality team, stupid viking hat and all:

The disc also contains previews of Duke3D and Shadow Warrior (in glorious 320x200 .PCX format!):

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Okay, I know some of you guys are in touch with the Duke 3D community here. Can somebody please confirm definitively that DNF2013 isn't some sort of cruel long-lasting April Fool's prank? They released the trailer April 1st, and now they've pushed the supposed release date back twice. It feels like they're just screwing around and making fun of DNF's dev time or something, and honestly, it's starting to piss me off. I really want it to be real, but I'm starting to have my doubts.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Okay, I know some of you guys are in touch with the Duke 3D community here. Can somebody please confirm definitively that DNF2013 isn't some sort of cruel long-lasting April Fool's prank? They released the trailer April 1st, and now they've pushed the supposed release date back twice. It feels like they're just screwing around and making fun of DNF's dev time or something, and honestly, it's starting to piss me off. I really want it to be real, but I'm starting to have my doubts.
It is real - The beta-tester they sent it to I know goes into great detail and sent a list of stuff that could be improved/fixed which is why it's taking longer. It's just one of those things unfortunately.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Has anyone here played Gun Godz?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugi18zeQoYc

It's a Vlambeer game made for subscribers of Venus Patrol which is...some sort of online video game magazine or something.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

haveblue posted:

The Ghostbusters game is actually rather good. The game part is merely serviceable but they absolutely nailed the franchise feel in the environments, how your teammates interact, and the gadget implementations. You really are the one firing the proton pack, laying down the trap, and corralling ghosts into it.

The only glaring flaw is that they couldn't get Sigourney Weaver to come back, so her role is filled by a new character.

Yeah, I picked up Ghostbusters not expecting much of anything, but I blew through the entire thing in one night. I really enjoyed it.

NoodleBox
Jul 11, 2009

Its either going to be the greatest Duke Nukem 3D mod, or the greatest April fool's joke

Time will tell which it will be

Rhontos
Oct 19, 2011

Yodzilla posted:

Has anyone here played Gun Godz?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ugi18zeQoYc

It's a Vlambeer game made for subscribers of Venus Patrol which is...some sort of online video game magazine or something.

Yup, and it's a pretty cool game. It's kind of short if you play just to get through to the end though, so I would recommend that you go try to perfect all the levels if you decide to get the game.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
Is there some trick to installing eduke with the hi-res pack to the Steam version of Duke3D? I can't seem to get things to work, yet I'm no stranger to modding games from this era.

Edit: Never mind, got it going.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Apr 20, 2013

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
So I'm having problems with SiN. It seems whenever I try to set it to run in Default OpenGL, it crashes. And it's not related to the widescreen patch as far as I can tell, as it crashes even set to 640x480. Also, no matter what the resolution is, the intro videos play in the absolute wrong colors and for some reason there's a second duplicate video, both of them playing in horizontally squished columns next to each other. What could be the cause of this?

RiffRaff1138
Feb 28, 2006

Every single motherfucker thinks they're gonna save the fuckin' world... Why not do something about the shitty economy or whatever instead?! Son of a bitch!

So I'm having problems with SiN. It seems whenever I try to set it to run in Default OpenGL, it crashes. And it's not related to the widescreen patch as far as I can tell, as it crashes even set to 640x480. Also, no matter what the resolution is, the intro videos play in the absolute wrong colors and for some reason there's a second duplicate video, both of them playing in horizontally squished columns next to each other. What could be the cause of this?

Is this the Steam verison or retail? If it's the retail version, well, there's your problem.

Edit: As far as I know, there's no way to fix the intro video issues. You might be able to avoid crashing by trying different compatibility modes?

RiffRaff1138 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 20, 2013

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

What are the other options besides Default OpenGL?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Also, no matter what the resolution is, the intro videos play in the absolute wrong colors and for some reason there's a second duplicate video, both of them playing in horizontally squished columns next to each other. What could be the cause of this?

Probably using a video mode not supported anymore. Possibly some interleaved and/or planar format, which your system interprets as chunky. That'd explain both the wrong colors and the image duplication.

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur

Install Gentoo posted:

What are the other options besides Default OpenGL?

All the options are at their defaults.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

All the options are at their defaults.

No I mean, in the interface where you're choosing "Default OpenGL" what other settings does it have for you that won't crash; or are all options in that field causing crashes?