Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Mak0rz posted:

Is there an extension or something that locks a pinned tab to a domain? I'm tired of accidentally navigating away from them.

I would love something like this as well. Any suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I just got an update with a new New Tab page with an inline google search. I'm not sure if I like it, but I do know I really want my drat bookmark bar back for the inline page.

I'm on 27.0.1453.56 beta-m

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

flatluigi posted:

I just got an update with a new New Tab page with an inline google search. I'm not sure if I like it, but I do know I really want my drat bookmark bar back for the inline page.

I'm on 27.0.1453.56 beta-m

You don't have the bookmark bar enabled outside of the new tab page. ctrl-shift-b should bring it back for every page.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

wormil posted:

I did a search but it brought up a bazillion results about extensions. All my Chrome extensions suddenly stopped working, removing them and reinstalling did nada. Is there a fix or do I need to uninstall Chrome, delete everything and hope it works when it comes back? Win7 + latest v. of Chrome.

Update, suddenly today some of my extensions are working. SALR is working again after reinstalling. Still a puzzle.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

hifi posted:

You don't have the bookmark bar enabled outside of the new tab page. ctrl-shift-b should bring it back for every page.

I do have it enabled, it just doesn't show if you search from the address bar on the new tab page.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

My name/email address being cut off by the ellipsis in the updated 'new tab' page is annoying me for some reason. And why is it only showing my 4 most recently visited sites instead of 8 :(

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

flatluigi posted:

I do have it enabled, it just doesn't show if you search from the address bar on the new tab page.

Try pressing enter at the prompt or scrolling, it seems this "completes" the search and displays the bookmark bar.

0staf
Jun 11, 2006

FFE or die trying

teagone posted:

My name/email address being cut off by the ellipsis in the updated 'new tab' page is annoying me for some reason. And why is it only showing my 4 most recently visited sites instead of 8 :(

Yeah, i have adblocked the search thing on the new tab page because it annoyed me and i couldn't see an option to remove it, but how do i get my 8 most visited sites back like it was before?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
I'm really missing the list of recently closed tabs at the bottom of the new tab page, personally.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

flatluigi posted:

I'm really missing the list of recently closed tabs at the bottom of the new tab page, personally.

WTF? Is there any way to access that list now?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Everyone just install speed dial 2 and be happy, you'll never want for anything.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Thermopyle posted:

WTF? Is there any way to access that list now?

Click the 3 lines/options icon -> recent tabs -> reopen close tab

That only does a single tab though. Not sure how to reopen multiple closed tabs.

:sigh: What is happening to Chrome!!!!

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

teagone posted:

Click the 3 lines/options icon -> recent tabs -> reopen close tab

That only does a single tab though. Not sure how to reopen multiple closed tabs.

:sigh: What is happening to Chrome!!!!

There's the hotkey, ctrl+shift+T, which does the same thing. If I need to go hunting to find a previously closed tab, I use Sexy Undo Close Tab.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Erwin posted:

Has anybody seen an issue with a tab that stops redrawing? For instance, if I scroll or move the mouse, the cursor will change to indicate that it is moving over links and whatnot, however the picture doesn't change and appears frozen. Sometimes I'll even switch from one tab to another and it will show a different tab altogether, or even a recently closed tab, obviously in the same 'frozen' state as above.

This is probably related to the fact that I have 4 monitors across two video cards, but I've disabled everything GPU related in chrome:flags and it hasn't helped. This has persisted across every new stable version for the last few months.

Well, if anyone experiences this, it seems like disabling pepperflash fixed it.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

Everyone just install speed dial 2 and be happy, you'll never want for anything.

Oh yes you will. I've found one aspect where it's a little lacking. If you reopen a tab through the recently closed window it doesn't remember that tab's history. Say I have a tab open to the forums index, then go into GBS and close the tab. With basic chrome, if I reopened that tab and hit back it'll go back to the forums index. Doing the same with speed dial 2, back sends me to the speeddial new tab page.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
3 questions, now that I'm transitioning my home and work computers to Chrome.

1) I really like Firefox's search engines bar in the upper-right corner. Let's me wiki or google anything without having to load any pages. Can this functionality be reproduced on Chrome?

2) I'm often getting a second or so of lag every time I switch to a recently opened and downloaded tab. This is annoying, I don't have this problem with Firefox. Does anyone else have this issue?

3) I have a magic mouse for my Mac. In firefox, doing a 2-finger swipe switches between tabs, and I absolutely love it. In Chrome, doing so goes back and forth. This is a dealbreaker, I can't stand having to ctrl-tab or ctrl-shift-tab. How do I change this?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Phobophilia posted:

1) I really like Firefox's search engines bar in the upper-right corner. Let's me wiki or google anything without having to load any pages. Can this functionality be reproduced on Chrome?

In chrome, you do this by entering search terms into the main URL bar. You set up keywords for each site you want to search; for example, the way I've set mine up, if I want chrome to search for something on google, I enter [searchterm] in the url bar. If I want chrome to search wikipedia for something, I type wi [searchterm] and chrome will search wikipedia. you set this up for other sites as well, eg im [searchterm] for IMDB or yo [searchterm] for youtube. It ends up being much faster than the firefox method of selecting a search engine from a pulldown menu.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Has anyone else been frustrated when trying to sign out of Chrome recently?

I'm no longer able to do this from any of the settings screens - I just get a link pointing to my google account dashboard. The 'sign out of Chrome' box is greyed out and a little yellow exclamation mark icon tells me this is 'enforced by your account administrator' when I hover over it.

When I went to the google account page, I got a summary of the Chrome sync data stored, but still no option to sign out. The only facility on that page is "Clear all".

As it turns out, the only way to finally sign my browser out was to delete the Chrome user entirely, destroying all the local data.

Is this in place for all users? I'm wondering if something different happens to me because I have a google apps account (which I administer) and I use 2 factor authentication on my account.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

The Lord Bude posted:

In chrome, you do this by entering search terms into the main URL bar.

Actually all browsers support this functionality yet many still have the redundant secondary box.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

MrMoo posted:

Actually all browsers support this functionality yet many still have the redundant secondary box.
It's not redundant. Mine is permanently set to Wikipedia. Ctrl+K, type search string, hit enter: Boom; Wikipedia article opened in new tab.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

There's probably an extension that adds a button that will open a search dialog but I don't think you can get a separate text box in the Chrome frame, and I'm not sure how you expect to search the web without loading a page. Adding a custom search provider in Chrome is probably the right way to do this. chrome://settings/searchEngines is the internal Chrome page to set this.

Phobophilia posted:

2) I'm often getting a second or so of lag every time I switch to a recently opened and downloaded tab. This is annoying, I don't have this problem with Firefox. Does anyone else have this issue?

I'd imagine this is caused by Chrome delaying rendering until you view the tab. You can check if it's a resource problem in the Chrome task manager (shift + esc in windows to check chrome cpu usage, then check windows task manager to see if you are actually out of memory/CPU). If you are using the Dev channel release then check if you can upgrade, as up until the latest version there was a bug where the Google Instant process would leak memory and CPU and eventually end up with 2GB + 90% CPU when you opened a new tab. And finally it could just be that the extensions you have installed are using too many resources (again, check the Chrome task manager to see what exactly is using resources).

For what it's worth, switching tabs in Chrome is equally as fast on my 2500k as it is on a x220 thinkpad locked down to the lowest C state (800mhz i think).

Pilsner posted:

It's not redundant. Mine is permanently set to Wikipedia. Ctrl+K, type search string, hit enter: Boom; Wikipedia article opened in new tab.

It's redundant in Chrome because it's possible to do this with custom search providers.

0staf
Jun 11, 2006

FFE or die trying
For anyone on the beta who hated the new tab page (giant google search bar, only 4 most visited sites etc.) like me you can go to chrome://flags and disable "Enable Instant extended API" to get the old page back

Mayne
Mar 22, 2008

To crooked eyes truth may wear a wry face.
Is there a way to switch tabs with mousewheel in Chrome yet? I've been trying to switch over from Opera but can't get used to clicking tabs.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

LooKMaN posted:

Is there a way to switch tabs with mousewheel in Chrome yet? I've been trying to switch over from Opera but can't get used to clicking tabs.
The "Chrome Toolbox" extension allows this.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

0staf posted:

For anyone on the beta who hated the new tab page (giant google search bar, only 4 most visited sites etc.) like me you can go to chrome://flags and disable "Enable Instant extended API" to get the old page back
Thank you! I use Speed Dial 2 but the other changes were driving me nuts.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Is searching from the url bar gone to poo poo for anyone else on the beta channel? I know it's not google itself since if I go to google.com and search, everything's fine. But opening blank tabs or trying to search directly from the omnibox just hangs forever.

Pretty sure it isn't one of my extensions, I tried disabling a few at a time until I went through all of them but nothing changed.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe
I'm trying to jump ship from Opera to Chrome because opera crashes atleast 20 times per day. I've found a Chrome equivalent to everything except one feature.
In Opera I have all plugins disabled (flash etc) and only let them run on demand (unless I set the website into a safe always run plugins zone). Here's a picture of what it does:

Does this exist in chrome?

Found it. "under the hood" which all the guides refer to is gone but you can find those options in the hidden advanced settings.

ToG fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 24, 2013

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ToG posted:

I'm trying to jump ship from Opera to Chrome because opera crashes atleast 20 times per day. I've found a Chrome equivalent to everything except one feature.
In Opera I have all plugins disabled (flash etc) and only let them run on demand (unless I set the website into a safe always run plugins zone). Here's a picture of what it does:

Does this exist in chrome?

Found it. "under the hood" which all the guides refer to is gone but you can find those options in the hidden advanced settings.

You can also manually set each plugin to be enabled/disabled/click to play by going to Chrome:plugins.

Also consider going to Chrome:flags for advanced experimental features.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

The Lord Bude posted:

You can also manually set each plugin to be enabled/disabled/click to play by going to Chrome:plugins.

Also consider going to Chrome:flags for advanced experimental features.

Thanks for the advice but I don't really trust any plugin to run unless i specifically want it to.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
Okay, so I used to be able to go to my Apps tab, right click a web app, and tell it to put a shortcut to that app on my desktop. That seems to be gone now and I have no idea when they nixed it. What the gently caress?

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Require More Fire posted:

Okay, so I used to be able to go to my Apps tab, right click a web app, and tell it to put a shortcut to that app on my desktop. That seems to be gone now and I have no idea when they nixed it. What the gently caress?

Does "Right click -> Create Shortcut" work?

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

hifi posted:

Does "Right click -> Create Shortcut" work?

That's what I'm looking for, it's not there anymore. :( All I've got is Options, View in Web Store, and Remove from Chrome.

I'm on 26.0.1410.64 m

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Is there a decent IMAP mail checker extension for Chrome? I can't seem to find one in the store, and google suggested Xnotifier but it seems the newer version does not have IMAP support any longer.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
In the latest dev version (28.0.1485.0) they removed the Most Visited links/thumbnails from the new tab page altogether. I hope that's just a temporary thing in this build and not a design direction they're taking.

I know the functionality can be duplicated with Add-Ons, but that's one of the things I liked the most about Chrome. It's sad to see it slowly dwindle and eventually go away altogether. :(

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

syphon posted:

In the latest dev version (28.0.1485.0) they removed the Most Visited links/thumbnails from the new tab page altogether. I hope that's just a temporary thing in this build and not a design direction they're taking.

I know the functionality can be duplicated with Add-Ons, but that's one of the things I liked the most about Chrome. It's sad to see it slowly dwindle and eventually go away altogether. :(

The implementation was never that good, speaking as someone who wanted to specify exactly what links appeared there. You had to jump through too many hoops to get the links you wanted, and there were never enough thumbnails. I made the move to speed dial 2 a long time ago and have never looked back.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

syphon posted:

Weird, I'm running 27.0.1453.65 beta-m and had the new tab page with the google search and 4 thumbnails, but not it seems my Chrome seems to have reverted back to the 8 most visited links/thumbnails.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
Yeah it started out with the 8-Most-Visited (which I liked), then moved to the Google Search Bar + 4-Most-Visited (which I didn't like. The address bar is a google search bar, so that was a whole lot of space wasted for a redundant feature). Now, all I have is the google search bar. No most-visited links. :(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Some guy made an english port of the google.ru chrome extension (http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-57580802-93/google-now-could-be-googles-new-home-page/) that gives the new Google Now-ish new tab page.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/new-tab-page/cikkigamncoobkmpenfdeniclmehdidh

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

syphon posted:

Huh, I've done nothing and suddenly the 8 thumbnail pages are back. The odd part is that my Chrome version hasn't changed!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

syphon posted:

In chrome://flags disable these two, and you'll get the old new tab page back.