Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Vavrek posted:

No, no ... you said The Terminator (I am assuming Arnold) or Adam Jensen. Adam doesn't have a cybertorso or cyberskull. He's just got full limbs. Not even sure if the guy has cybereyes (the HUD is on his implant mirrorshades).

His shades retract into his skin, resumably his skull, he's got a giant corporate logo implanted right there with visible "safety openings" and a bunch of little holes in his chest.

He's got the full suite as far as I'm concerned, just with some skin added to it to make him more human-looking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Deus Ex Wiki on Adam Jensen posted:

His torso appears to be biological, but is covered in dermal armor, along with bolt ports from the bar placed within his chest to support said augments. Underneath he has a variety of cardiovascular and muscular augmentations, such as an internal rebreather, a health system, an internal battery, and the Typhoon Explosive System.

It's just Dermal Plating and some internal stuff, his torso and skull are aren't cyber themselves.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also that corporate logo, while goofy looking, is where he got shot in the head at the start of the game.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Kai Tave posted:

Also that corporate logo, while goofy looking, is where he got shot in the head at the start of the game.
If I want to be a cyborg with a transplant brain, the brain will be hidden somewhere that's not head. :roboluv:

Lazy Bear
Feb 1, 2013

Never too lazy to dance with the angels

Martello posted:

You don't have to use a child's brain.

You *could* use an adult brain. But in this case the fluff at the very least implies that adult brains go from rigger heaven to suicide in a matter of weeks, rather than months.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Lazy Bear posted:

You *could* use an adult brain. But in this case the fluff at the very least implies that adult brains go from rigger heaven to suicide in a matter of weeks, rather than months.
Depends on how many dice they can throw at the insanity test.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

Nyaa posted:

I wish more GM these days would run a Shadowrun setting that isn't about a group of criminals working infinite side quests for Mr.Johnson for money.

More GM need to break away from this kind of setting and try out other possibility like being in the Knight Errant special squad that saves lives, PR, and do good things. Sure, even the "good guys" have their own shade of darkness, but at least provide players the option to be able to change the world even in a small ways through their actions. Like get the current corrupt Knight Errant CEO fired and replace a better one, etc.

I know this was a couple pages back, but when I have run Shadowrun games before, I used to hammer home the fact they are still people, not faceless avatars of themselves. They do get their share of faceless mooks to beat up, but only after poo poo hits the fan too hard. The second campaign I ran for a group of friends had them playing 'professionals'; no kills, little impact, stealthy, well-mannered individuals. Most of the things they did had questionable legality, sure, but they still had to play by the rules. One of them was even a disgraced, ex-LoneStar detective whose backstory we never really had time to flesh out, and even he alwasys tried to act with a moral compass. The only straight-up criminal group I had as a gang of PC's were a group of stick-it-to-the-man types, and even the players tried to do what they thought would be the right thing. This team had an Ork Rockstar/Novacoke-head for a Face, and he was secretly passing all of his earnings from missions and gigs and such to orphanages for metahumans.

I know what you are trying to say, and have GM's and the like try to make games that make the runners out to be actual good guys instead of morally ambiguous badasses, but I think the GM isn't the only one who needs to help make it happen. It might need to start with it's playerbase who really really REALLY want to be the next Neo or Hiro Protagonist. A good group of players would probably gravitate towards this kind of goal on their own, anyway.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Nyaa posted:

If I want to be a cyborg with a transplant brain, the brain will be hidden somewhere that's not head. :roboluv:

The mage will suss that out right quick. Mages gently caress up every good plan.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Mr Fahrenheit posted:

I know this was a couple pages back, but when I have run Shadowrun games before, I used to hammer home the fact they are still people, not faceless avatars of themselves. They do get their share of faceless mooks to beat up, but only after poo poo hits the fan too hard. The second campaign I ran for a group of friends had them playing 'professionals'; no kills, little impact, stealthy, well-mannered individuals. Most of the things they did had questionable legality, sure, but they still had to play by the rules. One of them was even a disgraced, ex-LoneStar detective whose backstory we never really had time to flesh out, and even he alwasys tried to act with a moral compass. The only straight-up criminal group I had as a gang of PC's were a group of stick-it-to-the-man types, and even the players tried to do what they thought would be the right thing. This team had an Ork Rockstar/Novacoke-head for a Face, and he was secretly passing all of his earnings from missions and gigs and such to orphanages for metahumans.

I know what you are trying to say, and have GM's and the like try to make games that make the runners out to be actual good guys instead of morally ambiguous badasses, but I think the GM isn't the only one who needs to help make it happen. It might need to start with it's playerbase who really really REALLY want to be the next Neo or Hiro Protagonist. A good group of players would probably gravitate towards this kind of goal on their own, anyway.

Not to specifically call you on this (and I think you're right that it's about the players more than the GM), but I think it's a problem to conflate 'criminal' with 'not a good guy'. It's perfectly reasonable in Noir for protagonists to flirt with criminality- it usually underlies the reality that the legal system is not a substitute for morality or religion- so I expect Shadowrunners to be criminals. The good guy-bad guy aspect comes down more to whether they view every mission in terms of how much it profits them, or if they consider what doing some action says about who they are or if that's the kind of world they want to be a part of.

The A-team were criminals.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

DeclaredYuppie posted:

Not to specifically call you on this (and I think you're right that it's about the players more than the GM), but I think it's a problem to conflate 'criminal' with 'not a good guy'.

I also think it's a little questionable (I don't mean questionable ala grognards.txt here) to say "A good group of players would probably gravitate towards this kind of goal on their own, anyway" which seems to imply that the natural state of Shadowrun when played by good players is to be overt good guys. Shadowrun should, in my opinion, be a game that supports both "down-and-out street grunge Robin Hoods fighting the Man, man" and "slick cyber-criminals on the hunt for the next big score" without editorializing either way.

I think it was the SR2E Runner's Companion that had a "why do we run the shadows?" chapter full of IC chatter from all these different characters and one of them was like "man, if you don't devote yourself to making the world a better place through your actions then you might as well pack it in" and another was all "hey, gently caress you, being a homeless dreg that fell through society's cracks sucks poo poo, if corporations want to pay me big money to rob and murder than I'll rob and loving murder so I can sleep in a real bed and eat real food." And the point of that chapter was that all these characters arguing with each other over what being a "real" shadowrunner is were perfectly valid ways you could approach the game. I don't think Shadowrun should have a default.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Boogaleeboo posted:

The mage will suss that out right quick. Mages gently caress up every good plan.
What if my brain is encased in a Shielded Smuggling Compartment with Biofiber that can "block astral scan"? (AR 144) :engleft:

I know there's a debate about how Biofiber and the others material works, but that's something.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Lazy Bear posted:

Which is an awesome roleplaying challenge. I've been wanting to play an overcybered street sam with cyberpsychosis for a long time, but just haven't gotten the chance yet. Different, but a similar challenge.

Boogaleeboo posted:

Augmentation page 160 posted:

Targeting and Magic
Cyborgs are difficult to target with magic. The only living part of a jarhead—the brain—is encapsulated within the CCU which itself is enclosed within the drone body, where it is effectively safe from spell targeting. Instead, the drone body itself must be targeted by spells. Only in the event that the drone’s outer casing/armor is breached or removed would the CCU/brain become vulnerable to magical targeting—though hitting might still require a called shot. This means that spells cast against a cyborg’s drone body must overcome Object Resistance (Threshold 4+). This also means that the cyborg—or rather, its body—does not make resistance rolls against Physical spells. Mana spells are simply unable to lock on to the cyborg’s living component and are useless as a result. When viewed from the astral, the living presence within a cyborg cannot be seen through the opaque drone body (unless the astral form sticks its head through the drone body’s shadow and into the brain’s encapsulated aura). Cyborgs do not boast the vibrant aura indicative of a living being and instead appear as drab as any other drone to assensing. Assensing may reveal information as it does with any other non-living object, but it will provide no insight into the brain controlling the drone. Unsurprisingly, the Awakened typically find cyborgs disquieting.

:smugdroid:

Kai Tave posted:

And the point of that chapter was that all these characters arguing with each other over what being a "real" shadowrunner is were perfectly valid ways you could approach the game. I don't think Shadowrun should have a default.

This is absolutely right.

On another note, what the hell happened to Dikote? :(

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

quote:

Targeting and Magic
Object Resistance is the bane of all spellcaster. That makes cyborg better than Arcane Arrester and a no downside Astral Hazing... :smithicide:

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Martello posted:

=
On another note, what the hell happened to Dikote? :(

It's on absolutely everything now. Every edge has dikote, also most surfaces that bear weight. If you buy a nice set of flatware, they're probably dikote coated.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Mystic Mongol posted:

It's on absolutely everything now. Every edge has dikote, also most surfaces that bear weight. If you buy a nice set of flatware, they're probably dikote coated.

Huh. Is that in the fluff somewhere? That's kinda ridiculous even though it sorta makes sense. It's unfortunate, though, because melee weapons need more modifications to make them more interesting.

Good thing I'm a GM and I can edit XML files for Chummer. :chord: Speaking of, anybody have any ideas for cool melee weapon customizations that make sense for the setting? Dikote is easy, +1 DV and -2 AP.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Martello posted:

Good thing I'm a GM and I can edit XML files for Chummer. :chord: Speaking of, anybody have any ideas for cool melee weapon customizations that make sense for the setting? Dikote is easy, +1 DV and -2 AP.
Material replacement that improve concealability against sensors? Fold-out parts that make them smaller and improves physical concealability (but takes longer to ready)? Modular build to turn it into IKEA weaponry (parts concealed as something innocent, snap together to form a pole-axe)? Hidden compartments? Drug/compound delivery canals? Taser contact points? Ye olde personalised grip (including gecko grips)? A lot of the firearms accessories and customisation options can be copied as-is.

Neither weight not breaking strength really make any difference, but replacements for those could work, with some GM-approved bonuses. Still, on that theme, frangible blades/edges that complicate treatment and healing?

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

A rule set for Contact toxins like in Altered Carbon might add some interesting things to melee weapons.

Mr Fahrenheit
Dec 10, 2010

Travelin' at the speed of light.

Martello posted:

Ceramics to beat MAD scanners or other detection equipment, electromagnetic charges for extra drone damage, or the ever classy 'underslung grenade launcher' attachment in the hilt. Rocket powered tomahawk? I can't think of too many off the top of my head without saying "something from Turok"; melee weapons kind of get it in the shorts for customization ideas :(.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Doc Ido's Rocket Hammer, there's never been a more cyberpunk melee weapon.

Gecko grip handles, both so it can't be disarmed and so you can press the handle against their weapon to get a bonus to disarm attempts of your own. Sound muffling speakers, record the sound of the weapon in use and play an opposite, nullifying wavelength, making using the weapon silent. Starlight hilt light, negates darkness penalties if you have certain enhanced vision options. Projectile charge in the handle. Spooling monofilament rope, allows you to use the weapon as a grapplehook. Phosphorous blade, good for one good stab before it explodes inside of them... a botched roll, or using it in the rain, leaves you very unhappy. Injector grooves, an attack at a penalty lets you apply injection poisons. Kinasthetic readings that display the position of your weapon at all times to your AR system, even in completely darkness, allowing you to find your weapon if it's dropped into muddy weapon or on the other side of a wall. A powerful electromagnet built into the blade to get ferrous objects dropped down the drain.

Emergency helium balloons inflate and carry your dagger safely into the sky if you're disarmed, so your weapon can never be used against you. In hilt iPod plays mood music based on your thetan levels, measured in real time by a built in eReader. MAD scanner and vibration reader that scans your opponent's implants on a clean stab, uploading the information to your AR display. A small CyberVole, a biodrone made from combining a vole with top of the line technology, used to infiltrate the base of anyone who steals your weapon and report back with their smallest secrets. An adaptor to let you charge your shockfists in European electric sockets.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

If you're going this way, what about having a thrown bladed weapon that adjusts its spin, axis, etc. in midflight so it homes in on a target that are designated by smartlink?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Young Freud posted:

If you're going this way, what about having a thrown bladed weapon that adjusts its spin, axis, etc. in midflight so it homes in on a target that are designated by smartlink?

Only if it's actually shaped like a disc.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Also at the risk of crossing the streams with 40K I can't believe nobody in Shadowrun-landia has tried marketing chainswords before. Yes, 4E has a chainsaw in the equipment section but that's not the same thing. I mean some corporation going "oh man, you know what we should do?" and then trying to steal the "disaffected ork ganger" market away from those combat axe bastards.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Because while you can vaguely try to sell the axe on some weird cultural level, a chainsword is basically something explicitly for insane gangers to kill civilians with. And the corporations like to at least *pretend* they are better than that sort of thing.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

With enough dice in armorer (or whatever skill is most suitable), a workshop, materials and a drone or two to assist there is no reason why you can't build your own.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Boogaleeboo posted:

Because while you can vaguely try to sell the axe on some weird cultural level, a chainsword is basically something explicitly for insane gangers to kill civilians with. And the corporations like to at least *pretend* they are better than that sort of thing.

I bet Aztechnology would try it :colbert:

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

I bet Aztechnology would try it :colbert:

They'd make an atlatl that shot exploding spears.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Seriously, they'd call it a "power macuahuitl" and market it as a reimagining of an ancient, traditional weapon for the 21st century jaguar warrior. A fusion of classical styling and modern technology, the synthetic Obsidioid™ teeth are capable of carving through body armor with ease when backed up by a battery powered chain-engine running at 12,000 RPMs.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
You could, but I don't see any way it would be a viable option over a Vibrosword, which is already nightmarish enough.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If there's a market for "hey, you know what'd be a good idea? Swinging around a length of super-sharp monofilament wire with a weight on the end, there's no way that can go wrong," there's a market for faux-Aztec chain-macuahuitls. Don't ruin this for me, man.

Speaking of which, has anybody here ever actually used a monowhip before? Like, in a serious "this is a go-to weapon for my character" sort of way?

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I did once, back in third. I had the traditional thumb compartment (yes, I know... ROOM SERVICE! ) as a backup weapon for my... Sniper, I think.
It's great for surprise attacks and to escape. We got cornered by guards or something once and, well, slice.

... I really want a Megahuitl. Mega or Mechuitl?

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Kai Tave posted:

If there's a market for "hey, you know what'd be a good idea? Swinging around a length of super-sharp monofilament wire with a weight on the end, there's no way that can go wrong," there's a market for faux-Aztec chain-macuahuitls. Don't ruin this for me, man.

Hmmm perfect idea for random thing a few runs from now in my Rotten Applesauce campaign.

Seriously, I really like the chain-machuahuitl idea. Rock, I think Mechauitil has the best ring.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
With the Mobility Mod, no less.

Unfortunately, it is now too late to submit some kind of an ex-Jaguar Warrior.
Probably an Infiltration/Warrior Adept; all's quiet, and then out of nowhere BOOM! Mechahuitl! To the face!

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Boogaleeboo posted:

They'd make an atlatl that shot exploding spears.

I try to imagine the board meeting where this idea came up and it's killing me.

Big Hubris fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Apr 22, 2013

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

So this might be a bit off topic, but has anyone heard any news about the Shadowrun deck building game. I'm kind of excited for it and Spring 13 is very broad.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I've been skimming this thread but some of the posts are quite old now.

I want to get into Shadowrun and play it with a few friends.

What book(s) should I buy and where do I start? Is the 20th Anniversary edition still good?

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Sonata Mused posted:

I've been skimming this thread but some of the posts are quite old now.

I want to get into Shadowrun and play it with a few friends.

What book(s) should I buy and where do I start? Is the 20th Anniversary edition still good?

If you're committed to running SR4, the Anniversary book is pretty and well organized and just fun to look at compared to the original core. Not to mention it clarifies hacking a bit more.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
Oh, I didn't realize there was a 5th edition. I guess it was released this year? Is it any good? I don't think I saw a thread for it. Maybe I'm blind.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice
Not yet, no.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Sonata Mused posted:

Oh, I didn't realize there was a 5th edition. I guess it was released this year? Is it any good? I don't think I saw a thread for it. Maybe I'm blind.

It's due out some time in the near future, I guess? Maybe? It's hard to say how far along they are.

I'm the kind of person who will try to run a game with the barest scrap of information about it, so don't listen to me. I stand by my opinion of the Anniversary book though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
There's a preview released today.

Edit: Complete with a fiction story with an Ares security mage summoning an insect spirit in the middle of a firefight.

Oh ares, my ares, what have you done?

I guess it's Ares turn to hold the evil ball (a cousin of the idiot ball)

SirFozzie fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 30, 2013

• Locked thread