Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
5er
Jun 1, 2000

EAThief posted:

Haha this just happened to me too, except I ran right up on the time limit. That was the first monster that ever took me even close to running out of time. It was also the first one that made me use almost all of the consumables I brought with me.

That was my problem too. I burned off my last health pot, and was wondering if this loving thing was immortal, or if perhaps I was supposed to trigger something quest-related or else I'd never take it down. I figured if I got to the point where one more hit would kill me, I'd abandon the quest and try it with a different weapon, and maybe get hit less now that I knew how he worked. Then he started limping away, and I shock trap / tranq'd him easy peasy in the next zone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

I'm surpised at you goons, cooking is easy. Follow these easy steps and never worry about food ever again!

1) Bring along 10 raw meat and a BBQ spit. Double or single, your choice.
2) Join a MP game. This is important to your steaks tasting better.
3) Engage fight with the enemy. Remember the bigger it is, the better. Jhen Moron and Dire Mire are good choices.
4) Bust out BBQ spit during fight, with monster still in the room. Proceed to get rare/well done (To your prefered taste) while praying that the pubbies can hold it off long enough for you to get your 10 steaks in!

If you're quick, you can do this under Duramboros while he's spinning around, or underneath a raging black diablos.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Always bring smoke bombs to Jhen. Always keep the smoke effect up while on the boat.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010

Metrohunter posted:

Always bring smoke bombs to Jhen. Always keep the smoke effect up while on the boat.

What does this do? Does he attack the boat less?

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

5er posted:

My first duramboros took me half an hour and that was with near constant wailing on it with a perpetually sharpened weapon, and even knocking its horns off within the first five minutes. I am terrified of meeting an upgraded version of it. I can say however he's the most hilarious fight to date. When he flipped off into the sky after the spinning top attack, I almost blew my chance for the free charged hit for laughing.

Yeah he's a big sack of health, but he's not actually that dangerous and it gives you plenty of time to try and bust that tail up. He's probably the second funniest monster after Plesioth running because goddamn that stupid fishchicken cracks me up.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.

That Gobbo posted:

What does this do? Does he attack the boat less?

No, but it makes everyone else wonder why they can't see poo poo. :shepface:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah I ended up hammering the poo poo out of it for like 30 minutes myself, got flattened once and the tail spin hit me when I wasn't paying attention the second time.

I get him limping and hauling rear end away from me through several zones, figuring I'm about to drop him, when a Bhanabra stings me out of my healing animation. Which leads to me being stunned. Which leads to me being tail-smashed and failing the hunt after using all my potions and buffs.

loving bugs.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.
All you guys suffering on Duramboros should try a fire bow, it works wonderfully and you can bust the tailcase off without any problem.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Bobnumerotres posted:

If I get unlucky cat or something else really dumb happens at the start of a quest I just abandon it right away. Don't see the point in continuing.

I usually only risk getting unlucky cat if there's an ultra lucky cat to go with it, and even then, only in multiplayer.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
http://mmogamecentral.com/tecent-games-confirm-cryengine-3-developement-of-monster-hunter-online/

Tencent Games Confirm Monster Hunter Online In The West (edit: West might mean europe and not america, but still, europe's significantly easier to jump in and play from America.

quote:

Speculation has been rife since the discovery of a Chinese website for a possible addition to the MMO world for Monster Hunter Online. An announcement from Crytek earlier today sees a brand new collaboration between Tencent Games and Capcom that will bring the world of Monster Hunter Online to an international audience.

As a PC exclusive addition to the Monster Hunter franchise the smash-hit Japanese game will blend the trademarks of the console and handheld titles with a plethora of new customization options and MMORPG related additions.

“The Monster Hunter games are known for immersing players in breathtaking worlds where great gameplay and spectacular sights go hand in hand,” said Areil Cai, Director of Business Development – CryENGINE. “CryENGINE 3 is the perfect fit for the series, and will ensure Tencent Games and Capcom are well equipped to make Monster Hunter Online the groundbreaking MMORPG experience fans worldwide are eagerly anticipating.”

Falcon2001 fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Apr 19, 2013

TalonDemonKing
May 4, 2011

Someone tell me MH4 makes it to the west as well and I'll be the happiest camper forever (until MH5).

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

Welp. I thought I had taken a picture of the best MH results screen before, but then this happened:

I wish I wasn't laughing so hard, or else the picture wouldn't be so drat blurry.

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
Holy poo poo are you serious.

Too bad I don't have PC that can handle graphics like that hahahahaha... :smith:

Demerine
Oct 10, 2007

liquidypoo posted:

Welp. I thought I had taken a picture of the best MH results screen before, but then this happened:

I wish I wasn't laughing so hard, or else the picture wouldn't be so drat blurry.

I HELPED. No, really, I was the third failure in that pic offscreen.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Argas posted:

I usually only risk getting unlucky cat if there's an ultra lucky cat to go with it, and even then, only in multiplayer.

Unlucky cat would be bad if it weren't Ancient Potions. They take an immunizer and a kelbi horn, so they're not exactly hard to make, and they set your health and stamina to max. Traditional Moga cure for hangovers.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Falcon2001 posted:

http://mmogamecentral.com/tecent-games-confirm-cryengine-3-developement-of-monster-hunter-online/

Tencent Games Confirm Monster Hunter Online In The West (edit: West might mean europe and not america, but still, europe's significantly easier to jump in and play from America.

Is that statement enough to claim that for sure? Yes he uses worldwide when he didn't need to but it was only a soundbite press release.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

So am I the only one here who's wary of an MMO made by a company called "Tencent Games"?

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Lizard Wizard posted:

So am I the only one here who's wary of an MMO made by a company called "Tencent Games"?

They own half of Epic and a majority stake of Riot Games. No idea if their own games are actually any good as they are all China only but if they wanted to do a cheap cash in they wouldn't have spent so much money on the visuals and license.

It would also be a bit odd to spend this much money on visuals for a chinese only F2P as from what I've seen they tend to aim low in graphics due to a lot of lower spec computers/net cafes.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 19, 2013

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Man. This game. I put a bit of time into MHFU and MH3, but something about being on the 3DS has just meant I've put about 100 hours or more, and I'm only about halfway through the high-rank stuff. I just gotta get better stuffs! I must.

Jhen Moran is a pain in the rear end - I assume my damage output just isn't good enough? I've consistently been running up to the 5-minutes-remaining marker, and then he destroys the boat. I've used all the ballista ammo, always get the gong when he's about to smash the boat (unless it's not active), and bind-ballista him otherwise. When I run out of ammo for both the cannon and ballista, I must resort to wacking away at his feet with demonized flurries. Yet still, every time, that dang boat is destroyed. Any tips? The guides I find online are almost all for multi-play, and single-player stuff doesn't seem to work for me.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Turns out that what it takes to get Monster Hunter games out in English is getting anyone other than Capcom involved. Tri and 3U took Nintendo stepping in, Tencent is probably handling everything pertaining to Online. :sigh:

dabe
Nov 18, 2012

Morpheus posted:

Man. This game. I put a bit of time into MHFU and MH3, but something about being on the 3DS has just meant I've put about 100 hours or more, and I'm only about halfway through the high-rank stuff. I just gotta get better stuffs! I must.

Jhen Moran is a pain in the rear end - I assume my damage output just isn't good enough? I've consistently been running up to the 5-minutes-remaining marker, and then he destroys the boat. I've used all the ballista ammo, always get the gong when he's about to smash the boat (unless it's not active), and bind-ballista him otherwise. When I run out of ammo for both the cannon and ballista, I must resort to wacking away at his feet with demonized flurries. Yet still, every time, that dang boat is destroyed. Any tips? The guides I find online are almost all for multi-play, and single-player stuff doesn't seem to work for me.

What weapon are you using? You can always try to upgrade. I believe Jhen is weak to ice and dragon element. If you're using a slime weapon, you can equip your shakalaka buddies with slime attack to increase the slime procs too.

You can also try getting the Felyne Bombardier skill for extra ballista and cannon damage ( I believe its Meat and Diary, then choose steam).

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Metrohunter posted:

Also make sure to bring as many Small Barrel Bomb+s as you can with you and throw them at anyone charging up a level 3 GS attack. They will love you for it.

Same thing with a Demonized DS user wailing on some hunt that just got downed.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Occupation posted:

Also make sure to bring as many Small Barrel Bomb+s as you can with you and throw them at anyone charging up a level 3 GS attack. They will love you for it.

But it feels so much better when you can get a fully charged greatsword overhead, and then advise them not to stand in your line of sight as they sail through the body of the downed hunt!

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Falcon2001 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NKPkRM_ms4

1、Achieved with CryEngine3

2、Original gameplay with new monsters, old monsters come from 1 to 3 .

3、Can drive vehicles(there are water motors in the end of Promotional video)

4、Environment elements can be destroyed or be used as monster’s weapon to deal with hunters.

Not included in video but in their product description

5、the game world will be effected by weather, time and environments

6、Hunter’s weapon can leave scars on monsters, not only preinstall body parts break.

7、There are active skills in game, will not be used frequently but will play a important role in fight. Hunters can excute team combo skills.

8、New world ("unknown continent") with villages and cities

9、Beta test in 2013.6

http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=273980

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
I want to believe this will be good but it's Capcom :negative:

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Beat Lagiacrus tonight :toot: It was a hard fight but goddamn did it feel good when he finally went down. Unfortunately now Cha-Cha has disappeared, any idea what I have to do to fix that? Also seeing as I'm pretty sure spending $60 to buy the game again on Wii U is a waste of money for me, how much would people recommend spending $20 for a Circle Pad Pro? I was fighting the controls almost as much as Lagiacrus during that fight and would probably not mind spending more money just to make the camera not control like poo poo.

Demerine
Oct 10, 2007

quiggy posted:

Beat Lagiacrus tonight :toot: It was a hard fight but goddamn did it feel good when he finally went down. Unfortunately now Cha-Cha has disappeared, any idea what I have to do to fix that? Also seeing as I'm pretty sure spending $60 to buy the game again on Wii U is a waste of money for me, how much would people recommend spending $20 for a Circle Pad Pro? I was fighting the controls almost as much as Lagiacrus during that fight and would probably not mind spending more money just to make the camera not control like poo poo.

Keep going; you get Kayamba when you finish off Duramboros and Cha-Cha returns when you open up the fight with Caedeus.

That said, I've been playing on both the 3DS and the WiiU and people swear by the Circle Pad Pro for the 3DS. I've been clawing since MH2 on the PSP, so...I haven't had much an issue, but I can see how it would help a ton.

Also, Liquidypoo, thank you for helping me get to HR4 today and spruce up my collection of long swords a bit. I guess my next task is pushing standard Rathalos to extinction, or close to it.

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

Demerine posted:

Keep going; you get Kayamba when you finish off Duramboros and Cha-Cha returns when you open up the fight with Caedeus.

Oh, sad. Hope that's not too long from now.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Hello, huge wall I've just hit with single player Alatreon. I guess I shouldn't be too upset. I've made it this far in the offline quests, so I guess I just need more practice on him.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Demerine posted:

That said, I've been playing on both the 3DS and the WiiU and people swear by the Circle Pad Pro for the 3DS. I've been clawing since MH2 on the PSP, so...I haven't had much an issue, but I can see how it would help a ton.

Also, Liquidypoo, thank you for helping me get to HR4 today and spruce up my collection of long swords a bit. I guess my next task is pushing standard Rathalos to extinction, or close to it.

I'm pretty sure Cha-Cha returns upon killing/capping Nibelsnarf.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Sire Oblivion posted:

I'm pretty sure Cha-Cha returns upon killing/capping Nibelsnarf.

No, I got Cha-Cha back and I haven't fought Nibelsnarf yet. I think I got him back after I fought Volvidon.

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012
Cha Cha comes back after killing either one of them.

Anyway, I got a Rathalos ruby from a shiny it dropped, killed it with a charged greatsword attack while it was in the air, then I got another ruby and a medulla from the rewards screen. :woop: (I was fighting it to get some scales)

Celery Face fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Apr 20, 2013

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Occupation posted:

I've trained carefully for life with pubbies by using both felyne masks.

Cthulhuchan
Nov 10, 2005

Rose: Sip martini thoughtfully.

Such as this one.

Just a tiny sip couldn't hurt...
Heh, funnily enough, inappropriate bombs have saved my rear end more often than not.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I can't really use anything that isn't gunlance anymore, but I never did give greatswords a fair shake, mostly because of how constrained the charge attack seems to be (must time release perfectly, can't move). I should probably do that this weekend at some point.

Speaking of gunlance, can I just say how goddamn amazingly funny that is at inciting pubbie rage when you want to? Hell you don't even need to nail them with wyvernfire, just plain old shots seem to send them flying. Great fun!

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Ciaphas posted:

I can't really use anything that isn't gunlance anymore, but I never did give greatswords a fair shake, mostly because of how constrained the charge attack seems to be (must time release perfectly, can't move). I should probably do that this weekend at some point.

Speaking of gunlance, can I just say how goddamn amazingly funny that is at inciting pubbie rage when you want to? Hell you don't even need to nail them with wyvernfire, just plain old shots seem to send them flying. Great fun!

I have tried in like three different monster hunters to use Greatswords, and it's my personal opinion they're the hardest weapon to use.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
They are the swaggiest weapon. If you roll with a greatsword everyone knows how much of a motherfucker you are. You probably even played Freedom Unite.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

FedoraDefender420 posted:

They are the swaggiest weapon. If you roll with a greatsword everyone knows how much of a motherfucker you are. You probably even played Freedom Unite.

Oh I totally agree. Every time I try one I start thinking about the GOTCHA BITCH video and how I'm gonna be hotshit and then 50 minutes later I'm out of potions and 2 deaths in on a queropeco and wondering what went wrong with my life.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Peco's actually a real pain to greatsword because of his hosed up duck head. You can only really nail his head when he's flying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
If your positioning is good you can hit Peco's head with the standard vertical greatsword swing will its standing upright.

• Locked thread