Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SlimManFat
Nov 12, 2010

RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST RUST

Shifty Pony posted:

A bit of thread necromancy here, but is there anything I should know about a '01 F-250 4x4 with the 7.3? My father is offering me one hell of a deal on his old truck because a) family and b) it is 100% depreciated and he has a thing about paying taxes on stuff even if it means taking in less money in the first place.

More truck than I would ever need but hey at least I would get instant Texas cred.

I've got an 02 F250 with a 7.3. That truck is loving bulletproof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.
The only complaint I can think of with the F250 4x4 diesels is a strange one (this is the 7.3/6.9 models). They are loving nose heavy. Which might not sound like a huge problem until it snows. It is a lot like driving a bobtail semi in the snow, 12,000 pounds on the nose and 7,000 pounds across 8 tires in the rear. Makes for a twitchy as gently caress ride. Thankfully it has a simple fix, drop weight above the rear axle.

Also, if you ever have to replace the starter, get the lighter, gear reduction one. God damned the old one was a loving bitch.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Well I went ahead and told him I want it. I was wrong on the transmission: it is just shifting a little hard, no hesitation. The vacuum actuation of the front auto-locking hubs is being a pain as well but meh, I'm not planning on needing 4x4 and the manual lock still works. It is at an oil change and only burned about a quart.

$8k for a '01 F250 7.3L Lariat 4x4 , on the condition that I not re-sell it. Considering I was looking around for a Ranger or F150 for only a bit less I consider it one loving hell of a deal and I plan on keeping it forever.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Shifty Pony posted:

Well I went ahead and told him I want it. I was wrong on the transmission: it is just shifting a little hard, no hesitation. The vacuum actuation of the front auto-locking hubs is being a pain as well but meh, I'm not planning on needing 4x4 and the manual lock still works. It is at an oil change and only burned about a quart.

$8k for a '01 F250 7.3L Lariat 4x4 , on the condition that I not re-sell it. Considering I was looking around for a Ranger or F150 for only a bit less I consider it one loving hell of a deal and I plan on keeping it forever.

That's a heck of a deal. We got a lemon, but we've got 193K on an '01 F350 dually, 7.3/4R100 combo. Tranny blew at 130K, thanks to the boss putting it in 4L, and backing a 9000# trailer into 3' of mud to unload a boat.

ultimateforce posted:

I got screwed over by a shady student loan consolidation company. Turns out I was paying them, but they weren't paying the loan off. Good luck proving that in court after they shut down operations and disappear!

Wrong thread, chief.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Holy balls man, that's a screaming deal.

I recently entered the TDI club too. I bought a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI with 49k on the clock. It's been getting 39.6 over the last couple weeks and improving due to a new set of tires and alignment.

I also have a 09 Dodge 2500 with a Cummins built to tow. I operate a cattle ranch, so I might be hooked to a stock trailer today and a equipment trailer tomorrow. Unloaded smoke free I will turn 22-23 mpg on the highway. Towing, I barely notice until I hook ten thousand pounds, and then I am glad it's got a huge fuel tank.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Used Sunlight sales posted:

Holy balls man, that's a screaming deal.

I recently entered the TDI club too. I bought a 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI with 49k on the clock. It's been getting 39.6 over the last couple weeks and improving due to a new set of tires and alignment.

I also have a 09 Dodge 2500 with a Cummins built to tow. I operate a cattle ranch, so I might be hooked to a stock trailer today and a equipment trailer tomorrow. Unloaded smoke free I will turn 22-23 mpg on the highway. Towing, I barely notice until I hook ten thousand pounds, and then I am glad it's got a huge fuel tank.

Hey, as a rancher do you know of anything that is still using a gas truck to tow? I cannot imagine the fuel costs of towing with a gas truck, especially as you get up there in the weight.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

CommieGIR posted:

Hey, as a rancher do you know of anything that is still using a gas truck to tow? I cannot imagine the fuel costs of towing with a gas truck, especially as you get up there in the weight.

What, other than loving Snowbirds and their RVs? Or me and my Chevy 3500? :sigh:

crutt
Sep 13, 2003
Hamhock Captain.

Shifty Pony posted:

I approve. I paid $8k for my 2000 4x4 7.3l with 128k miles, but mine is an XL (vinyl floor, cloth bench, roll up windows, no cruise control.) Good job!

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

fknlo posted:

When I was shopping, I never saw a single used Golf TDI. Not once. With used car prices what they are I probably wasn't going to buy used, but I didn't see a single one. It's kind of awesome knowing that if I ever decide to sell mine it'll go almost instantly at some ludicrous price :cool:

I definitely don't have any regrets so far.

Nice lookin car there buddy. Has too many doors though.

Yes, I run 19"s in the snow, all year round :)

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

CommieGIR posted:

Anything that spends any time hooked to a trailer around here is a diesel without much exception. When all the silly horse people are around, those guys have some gas trucks.

We still have a '05 Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0L in it, and it's a worthless turd towing compared to my 09.

Unloaded the Chevy has never made more than 15mpg. Towing the Kart trailer, 4mpg.

Unloaded my 09 gets about 22-23mpg, towing the kart trailer, 14mpg. Towing 6,000lb trailer, 11,500lb track loader, and 2,500lbs of implements, I get about 10mpg running 70.

If I hooked that Chevy up to the gooseneck and thought about putting anything on it, I think the transmission would jump out and run the gently caress away.

My 'nice' truck is a '11 Ram 2500 Longhorn with a Cummins diesel. It's not as beastly, but it will run pretty good.

I'd rather single source all my fuel, but small diesel engines are too expensive, and I have a lot of small gas engines that I can't justify the price of replacing them with diesels.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Anything that spends any time hooked to a trailer around here is a diesel without much exception. When all the silly horse people are around, those guys have some gas trucks.

We still have a '05 Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0L in it, and it's a worthless turd towing compared to my 09.

Unloaded the Chevy has never made more than 15mpg. Towing the Kart trailer, 4mpg.

Unloaded my 09 gets about 22-23mpg, towing the kart trailer, 14mpg. Towing 6,000lb trailer, 11,500lb track loader, and 2,500lbs of implements, I get about 10mpg running 70.

If I hooked that Chevy up to the gooseneck and thought about putting anything on it, I think the transmission would jump out and run the gently caress away.

My 'nice' truck is a '11 Ram 2500 Longhorn with a Cummins diesel. It's not as beastly, but it will run pretty good.

I'd rather single source all my fuel, but small diesel engines are too expensive, and I have a lot of small gas engines that I can't justify the price of replacing them with diesels.

Where abouts are you located? Surely you could get a small Volkswagen TDI for fairly cheap.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

veedubfreak posted:

Nice lookin car there buddy. Has too many doors though.

Yes, I run 19"s in the snow, all year round :)

2 doors the best doors.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I was going to say I've seen some gas trucks around where my parents live pulling horse trailers but I just wrote it off as horse people being horse people so I didn't think it was worth mentioning. I suppose with how much a good polo pony goes for gas isn't a concern?

Caithness
Nov 10, 2012

HEY!!!
YOU CAN SEE ME, CAN'T YOU? THEN WHY ARE YOU IGNORING ME!?
Why are two doors preferable to four? Because it makes it feel more like you're driving a coupe than a hatchback?

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Unloaded the Chevy has never made more than 15mpg. Towing the Kart trailer, 4mpg

That's better than me, well, I think I get better than 4mpg pulling my 30 foot 5th wheel, but not much, drat thing is it doesn't improve much when I'm just driving around. 454's are just ungry ungry ippos. Most of the rodeo people around here have diesels, and the only gas trucks I see are mine company trucks (I think because they get a cut rate on them, and the fuel won't gel) and Snowbirds.

The only reason I bought my 3500 was because of the loving price. Getting a screaming deal on a ex drug truck (with 10,000 pound rear axle) makes up for the lovely mileage since I don't drive that much.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Caithness posted:

Why are two doors preferable to four? Because it makes it feel more like you're driving a coupe than a hatchback?

For me I just like the body lines more. I also rarely have more than 1 passenger so it is nice to have giant doors to get in and out.

ultimateforce
Apr 25, 2008

SKINNY JEANS CANT HOLD BACK THIS ARC

Caithness posted:

Like someone else said, I like the body styling more on the 2 doors.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

CommieGIR posted:

Where abouts are you located? Surely you could get a small Volkswagen TDI for fairly cheap.

I already have one, don't need a second. I when I say small gas engines, I am talking about water pumps, generators, air compressors, poo poo like that. 5 to 9 HP honda motors.

The Kart trailer is 6 and a half feet tall, 18 long and six wide with two axles. It pulls a little hard anyway, but it's not heavy.

Used Sunlight sales fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 11, 2013

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Bovril Delight posted:

For me I just like the body lines more. I also rarely have more than 1 passenger so it is nice to have giant doors to get in and out.

This. Also, when I bought the car, it was the only one they had with all the options I wanted, so I took what I could get. Kinda wish it was a 4door though because my insurance would be 15 bucks cheaper a month.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I generally prefer 2 doors but went with the 4 door for usefulness. It's already done a trip to Breckenridge with 4 dudes and all of our gear.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Any of you ever get the dreaded p01550 engine code with your TDI?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

keykey posted:

Any of you ever get the dreaded p01550 engine code with your TDI?

Pull the intake side off the turbo and get a picture of the turbine blades, what model Jetta and year is it?

Its either the wastegate isn't actuating properly or the variable vanes are stuck if you have a VGT turbo.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Just texted the owner in regards to this -

http://desmoines.craigslist.org/cto/3738573147.html

I cant remember any drawbacks to the 6.9 other than being slower than a turd when your constipated. If its not completely rusted out, it would be a nice older truck.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I posted in the Vw/Audi thread but I guess this is more suited to this thread.

2005ish model Golf or possibly a Jetta is a car I'm looking at, TDI version is an option as the prices are on par with the 2.0fsi versions.

I've driven diesels for work but never owned or maintained them. The ones near me at all around 100k kms, when checking them out is there anything I should be looking for?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Puddin posted:

I posted in the Vw/Audi thread but I guess this is more suited to this thread.

2005ish model Golf or possibly a Jetta is a car I'm looking at, TDI version is an option as the prices are on par with the 2.0fsi versions.

I've driven diesels for work but never owned or maintained them. The ones near me at all around 100k kms, when checking them out is there anything I should be looking for?

Find out if the timing belt has been replaced, and find out what oil has been used in the oil changes and how often.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

CommieGIR posted:

Find out if the timing belt has been replaced, and find out what oil has been used in the oil changes and how often.

That's normal operating procedure whenever I buy a car, majority that I'm looking at have a full service history so should be easy to check.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Pull the intake side off the turbo and get a picture of the turbine blades, what model Jetta and year is it?

Its either the wastegate isn't actuating properly or the variable vanes are stuck if you have a VGT turbo.

I've replaced the turbo/wastegate actuator integrated combo unit, intake manifold/egr integrated combo unit, n75, mass air flow sensor, air cleaner/anything having to do with intake, vacuum lines including the one in the ECU, also the turbo inlet pipe. Basically it goes into limp mode going up hill when it's cold out or at 2200-2400 rpm when it reaches 70+ degrees outside. I've set a hard limit of $500 left to throw at it and if it's not fixed, then I'm throwing it to an auction.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

keykey posted:

I've replaced the turbo/wastegate actuator integrated combo unit, intake manifold/egr integrated combo unit, n75, mass air flow sensor, air cleaner/anything having to do with intake, vacuum lines including the one in the ECU, also the turbo inlet pipe. Basically it goes into limp mode going up hill when it's cold out or at 2200-2400 rpm when it reaches 70+ degrees outside. I've set a hard limit of $500 left to throw at it and if it's not fixed, then I'm throwing it to an auction.

What year Jetta is it?

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

1998 AHU engine.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

keykey posted:

1998 AHU engine.

You need to get a vacuum pump, pull the exhaust flange and see if the waste gate is opening/jammed open. Other issue could be the intake being jammed up with carbon deposits.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

You need to get a vacuum pump, pull the exhaust flange and see if the waste gate is opening/jammed open. Other issue could be the intake being jammed up with carbon deposits.

I purchased both the waste gate and intake manifold brand new and installed both last November and the car has only been driven about 500 miles since then for diagnostics.

edit: I'm taking it to the local VW dealer this afternoon and letting them sort it out. My dad failed to tell me that he knows the owner of the place until last night and gave him a call for me.. Figures..

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

keykey posted:

I purchased both the waste gate and intake manifold brand new and installed both last November and the car has only been driven about 500 miles since then for diagnostics.

edit: I'm taking it to the local VW dealer this afternoon and letting them sort it out. My dad failed to tell me that he knows the owner of the place until last night and gave him a call for me.. Figures..

Good luck...Dealers are the last place I'd ever go on Earth, connections or not.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Good luck...Dealers are the last place I'd ever go on Earth, connections or not.

Unfortunately, the nearest shop that specifically works on TDI's is 100 miles away, so I gotta take what I can get at this point. In any case, It's do or die time for this car and I'm only going to throw another $400 at it before it goes to auction and I wipe my hands clean of it.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

keykey posted:

Unfortunately, the nearest shop that specifically works on TDI's is 100 miles away, so I gotta take what I can get at this point. In any case, It's do or die time for this car and I'm only going to throw another $400 at it before it goes to auction and I wipe my hands clean of it.

If you are serious about selling, post it here. I might be interested.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

sharkytm posted:

If you are serious about selling, post it here. I might be interested.

If after another $400 it's not fixed, yes I am serious and I'll throw pix up at that time. Other than the engine throwing this loving infuriating/misleading code that puts it into limp mode, 270k miles and rear cup holder missing the cover, everything else is beautiful. The interior, other than rear cup holder cover, is in cream puff condition and the engine bay still has both the engine cover and plastic bottom pan which are usually the first things you see missing on these. It's never been in any accidents and has been garaged its whole life.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
Just pulled the trigger on a 2011 Jetta TDI with 26k miles. Switching over from a 2006 Explorer so I'm pretty excited about the fuel savings. This is both my first diesel and first manual transmission daily driver. Really looking forward to all of the learning that's going to happen over here. This thread basically sold me on a getting a TDI and I couldn't be happier at this point.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Congratulations!

Now the search begins for stations around town with diesel pumps that have card readers and are in convenient locations.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Fallen Rib

keykey posted:

If after another $400 it's not fixed, yes I am serious and I'll throw pix up at that time. Other than the engine throwing this loving infuriating/misleading code that puts it into limp mode, 270k miles and rear cup holder missing the cover, everything else is beautiful. The interior, other than rear cup holder cover, is in cream puff condition and the engine bay still has both the engine cover and plastic bottom pan which are usually the first things you see missing on these. It's never been in any accidents and has been garaged its whole life.

What's your 20?
If the price was right, if be willing to travel, especially for a rust free car.

Profile and some google-fu say Central CA... that's a long-rear end drive in a car that goes into limp mode on the highway (I'm in MA).

sharkytm fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 20, 2013

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

Dattserberg posted:

Just pulled the trigger on a 2011 Jetta TDI with 26k miles. Switching over from a 2006 Explorer so I'm pretty excited about the fuel savings. This is both my first diesel and first manual transmission daily driver. Really looking forward to all of the learning that's going to happen over here. This thread basically sold me on a getting a TDI and I couldn't be happier at this point.

Nice, youre going to love having a diesel when you only have to get fuel every couple weeks. Unless you have a longass commute or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Shifty Pony posted:

Congratulations!

Now the search begins for stations around town with diesel pumps that have card readers and are in convenient locations.

Fortunately for me, I live in small rural town so diesel is pretty easy to come by because of the farmers and people with trucks.

It's weird, I've never been one to just want to take my car out for a drive but now I do.

• Locked thread