Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

pokeyman posted:

Good to know. I'll check it out, might be a phone-specific thing.

I'll do more testing and get you some screen shots. I poked around at it this morning and it was doing some weird post-skipping stuff in that thread centered around the post that tooooooo bad linked to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Pulling up on the iPhone to go to the next page is too long in landscape? I keep running it of screen when I try.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

pokeyman posted:

the App Store description aims for the middle combined with creative bullets and excess exclamation marks.

I've been looking forward to seeing what you use for bullet points this time ever since you submitted it.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Diabolik900 posted:

I've been looking forward to seeing what you use for bullet points this time ever since you submitted it.

It's actually a surprising (i.e. nonzero) amount of work. Since the fonts in iOS don't contain all the characters you can find on OS X, I check the release notes in the iTunes Connect app. And that app is terrible. Though the push notifications you get during the various stages of review are handy.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
Any way I can switch the PM column back to Favorites? I rarely get PMs so it's useless as is.

Also, the iPhone version updated fine but on my iPad it just crashed over and over. I had to reinstall the app to get it to work.

inklesspen
Oct 17, 2007

Here I am coming, with the good news of me, and you hate it. You can think only of the bell and how much I have it, and you are never the goose. I will run around with my bell as much as I want and you will make despair.
Buglord
Is it possible to view avatar text along with the avatar images? Sometimes people have funny jokes in there and I like seeing them as I scroll through threads.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

inklesspen posted:

Is it possible to view avatar text along with the avatar images? Sometimes people have funny jokes in there and I like seeing them as I scroll through threads.

You can see it by looking at their profiles, but there just isn't enough space to show it in threads. Maybe it'll eventually show up on the iPad, but it's a very difficult design problem even on a 9" screen.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

PM SUPPORT!!!

I now have close to zero reason to log in computer now. Thanks!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Jack Krauser posted:

Any way I can switch the PM column back to Favorites? I rarely get PMs so it's useless as is.

Also, the iPhone version updated fine but on my iPad it just crashed over and over. I had to reinstall the app to get it to work.

I find I actually use favorites now that they're atop the forums list. I do feel your pain though.

Sorry about the crashing on your iPad. Can you think of any differences between your iPhone and iPad in the app? Maybe eh had different versions of the app? Did you have favorites only on one of them?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Well the new crash reporting works...

Whoever had a blowup when tapping a favorite star beside a forum: I'm on it!

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Huge update! Big thanks to all of you guys who are working on this app; it's easily the most-frequently opened program on my phone.

And yes, your update notes are hilarious

Siguy
Sep 15, 2010

10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0 10.0
I was just coming into the thread to post that the app was crashing on startup on my iPad after the update, but I guess third time is the charm because it's working perfectly now.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I hate to be a Debbie downer because I think your app is cool but...

...I miss having a separate forums list/favourites on my ipad because I could use them as two separate 'tabs' if you like, able to quickly skip between two forums, refreshing each in turn.

This may be an edge case scenario that might only be of interest to a power poster like me, but that's how I feel.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 19, 2013

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT

Pissflaps posted:

I hate to be a Debbie downer because I think your app is cool but...

...I miss having a separate forums list/favourites on my ipad because I could use them as two separate 'tabs' if you like, able to quickly skip between two forums, refreshing each in turn.

This may be an edge case scenario that might only be of interest to a power poster like me, but that's how I feel.

Exactly how I feel. PMs are essentially useless to me, but this was incredibly useful.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

iphone 4s here. I downloaded the update and restarted my phone but all that comes up is the starting flash page. I cant access anything.

edit: deleted and reinstalled app and it works now.

nwin fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Apr 19, 2013

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.
EDIT: I'm an idiot :downs: Solved my problem the same way the above posters did.

ZZT the Fifth fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 19, 2013

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

After the update the app takes much longer to load threads and thread lists. Used to take half a second but now it's like 10-15. Anyone else get this?

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
I have had delayed loading of threads as well.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI
Yeah, the app is definitely a bit less snappy. I really like the new additions, though.

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
So I love the app, but I don't know where to find the emoticon list. Am I missing it?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Pissflaps posted:

That makes sense. I'll see if there's a good way to intentionally support that. We've had a longstanding plan to move to a single stack of threads anyway, so this is good feedback.

Lady Gaza posted:

After the update the app takes much longer to load threads and thread lists. Used to take half a second but now it's like 10-15. Anyone else get this?

That's a pretty bad regression, sorry about that. Is this consistent across all threads? Consistent between wifi and 4g?

Kameh posted:

So I love the app, but I don't know where to find the emoticon list. Am I missing it?

Never had one! It's definitely on the list. hardstyle wrote a bunch of code for it, just gotta finish it up and merge it in.

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

Ooh, font size options.

I'll also mention that I used the old Favorites tab the same way as Pissflaps did.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Much enjoying the update/new feature set with no slowdowns via wifi or 3g (jb 5). Excellent work!

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

pokeyman posted:

That makes sense. I'll see if there's a good way to intentionally support that. We've had a longstanding plan to move to a single stack of threads anyway, so this is good feedback.

Obviously the time has come for tabbed forums browsing. :getin:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

It's called "Safari". :v:

I really love the design concept of the app, though I have never used it on an iPad. It's absolutely perfect on a small device.

Niemat
Mar 21, 2011

I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.

I'm not having any delay for loading threads as of yet on my iPhone, and I tried a few different things to see if I could get some sort of delay. I'm on an iPhone 5 over wifi.

That being said, I am getting a bit of a delay (4-6 seconds) loading threads on my iPad 3 over wifi.

As a side note, I'm SUPER excited about PM support! :buddy:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Niemat posted:

That being said, I am getting a bit of a delay (4-6 seconds) loading threads on my iPad 3 over wifi.

Maybe a javascript thing? I know javascript on an iPhone 5 blows pretty much every other iDevice out of the water.

Actually when it launched last fall, I think it was flat out the fastest mobile device on the market.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

tooooooo bad posted:

If it wasn't clear, I have absolutely no idea how to make it happen, I just said I'd put some thought into it!

edit:

xzzy posted:

Maybe a javascript thing? I know javascript on an iPhone 5 blows pretty much every other iDevice out of the water.

We are doing all the rendering in JavaScript, though that's not a change from 1.10 so it doesn't explain any new slowdowns.

For some future version I want to sit down and profile the hell out of the app. I don't think it's slow, by and large, but I feel like there's a lot of opportunity to speed things up.

pokeyman fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 20, 2013

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

xzzy posted:

Actually when it launched last fall, I think it was flat out the fastest mobile device on the market.

Only safari can use the faster JS engine, awful just gets the benefit of a faster processor.

Also there's a font rendering issue with MacinYOS, scaling dies but work with bitmap fonts. At all.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
The forums themselves were horribly slow this afternoon (failing to fully load, et cetera) via browser, so I don't think it's an AwfulApp bug ("feature"). Hopefully things quiet down in the next day or so

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Sudo Echo posted:

Also there's a font rendering issue with MacinYOS, scaling dies but work with bitmap fonts. At all.

Can you expand on this? I'm not seeing the issue.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
App seems a lot slower and the previous version was already pretty slow.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

I thoroughly enjoy the app, and echo the sentiments of it being one of my most used. I would also like to echo the protests for the favorites tab, and it's use in a more free browsing. PM support is great but extraneous as a tab.

One idea I've had is in settings, clicking your username at the top would take you to your profile. Perhaps private messages could be accessed in such a manner.

Other than that, I'm getting a rectangle when loading threads that flashes and disappears instantly. No damage done, but it is there.

Keep up the impecible work, and thanks!

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

soapgish posted:

Other than that, I'm getting a rectangle when loading threads that flashes and disappears instantly. No damage done, but it is there.

This is a really strange one, because I used/tested the new version the entire time it was in development, but I never saw this until about a half hour ago and now I can't unsee it.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Diabolik900 posted:

Can you expand on this? I'm not seeing the issue.

It changes line thickness at all font sizes for me

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
For what it's worth, I've used the updated app for about an hour each on 3G and wi-fi and have not noticed any slow loading or anything. Seems just as it was pre update.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
I think a lot of the slow loading had to do with the Boston craziness that happened earlier, and had little to do with the app itself.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

pokeyman posted:

I find I actually use favorites now that they're atop the forums list. I do feel your pain though.

Sorry about the crashing on your iPad. Can you think of any differences between your iPhone and iPad in the app? Maybe eh had different versions of the app? Did you have favorites only on one of them?

I got the crashing behavior on my phone (iPhone 5, latest iOS) and similarly a reinstall fixed it.

SaturdayKnight
Mar 31, 2011

Can I just say how awesome that little quick-settings box that pops up when you hit the font button is? That's awesome. Also I'm 100% sure the "it's so slow now" was from the Boston thread making the whole website poo poo itself. My 4S on 6.1.3 is just as fast as it used to be right now.

And while I don't have PMs, I'm perfectly happy with how favorites are handled now, and I might have to buy plat or whatever so congrats on the marketing I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MasonReese
Oct 8, 2004

This is gross misconduct!
Any hope for search, or mute filters?

• Locked thread