Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Muck and Mire posted:

Also, did reddit's gung-ho team of crack internet crowdsourced detectives actually accomplish anything here, beyond falsely naming those two other guys?

Nope! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008

krazysigmarite posted:

What the gently caress what? He lives in a totally chill part of the country, what aspect of new england society led him to become someone who'd want to bomb a loving public event?

That's actually a really good question! One worth trying to find an answer for.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh

Uncle Jam posted:

I wonder if he'll get charged with the vehicular manslaughter of his brother. He did try to ramp off of him after all.
What an awesome middle-finger that would be.

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

the popes toes posted:

You don't get to use the courts as a forum to legitimize your social criticisms when you blow up kids, sorry.

Didn't stop McVeigh from wanting to attempt it.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Romes128 posted:

A guy on CNN said black hat was alive, but in cardiac arrest when he was taken to the hospital early this morning. In the last thread it was said he died at the scene of the shooting. Ugh, it's going to be a while before all these details get cleared up.

Romes128 posted:

A guy on CNN

Spotted your problem.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I'm soooo happy the authorities wrapped this up in 4 days, what a great way to say gently caress off to criminals.

krazysigmarite
Jun 18, 2011

Grimdark.

Muck and Mire posted:

Also, did reddit's gung-ho team of crack internet crowdsourced detectives actually accomplish anything here, beyond falsely naming those two other guys?

I'm pretty sure all they did was ruin a 17 year old kid's week. So yeah, no.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

So in terms of manhunts go, how quickly has this gone from "horrible event occurred" to "perp capture" in comparisons to other events? I know Timothy McVeigh was on the lam for about a month and only got caught because of an unrelated traffic stop, and then of course the Unibomber was at large for a really long period of time.
McVeigh was actually arrested after only a few hours.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Do you suppose the advent of social media has created an environment where people who pull off atrocities like this can't escape so readily?

I'm sure the easy availability of information we have today helped significantly.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lt. Dans Legs posted:

When you kill an 8 year old boy and 2 (potentially 3) others, and injure/maim 150+ more, you're a bit past the point where you qualify for empathy, in my opinion.

Yeah. Of course it's important that we understand his motives, the forces that drove him to it, any potential circumstances or incapacities that influenced his thinking or behavior. But that's all mostly clinical, empathy is asking way too much. We're not Motherfucking Theresa or whatever.

In all seriousness, I don't think there's any real possibility that this person will ever see the outside of a secure facility again. Hopefully whatever information we learn from him can actually help us to avert crises like this in the future. That would be pretty neat.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Muck and Mire posted:

Nope. Neither did ours, to be fair.

grapey
Oct 10, 2012

OMG BYZANTIUM posted:

I too hope he is assigned the best public defender, treated neutrally by police and that the jury fairly considers all the evidence...and then sentences him to life in prison. Our system has enough problems without people purposely trying to mess it up to get revenge.

I was on a jury for an aggravated robbery trial last year, and I was very impressed with how well the public defenders defended their client. I didn't learn until after the trial that the defendant was a convicted rapist! (we weren't allowed to google him) But that public defender did such an amazing job representing him--it really bolstered my confidence in the judicial system (or at least in my area of the US).

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

booshi posted:

I'm sure the easy availability of information we have today helped significantly.
It makes me wonder how much we'll really need CCTV in 10-15 years when everybody will have a high-definition camera in their phone anyway.

lothar_
Sep 11, 2001

Don't Date Robots!

krazysigmarite posted:

What the gently caress what? He lives in a totally chill part of the country, what aspect of new england society led him to become someone who'd want to bomb a loving public event?

As a sociologist, I'm ignoring this case like historians ignore Joan of Arc, because it doesn't make sense from conventional disciplinary frameworks, meaning we'd have to go outside of those frameworks, meaning our colleagues will eat us for lunch when we present at conferences.

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh

Muck and Mire posted:

Yes and no. Yes in that they have managed to create for themselves a sense of false importance. No in that no.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Isn't cardiac arrest basically = dead anyway? They probably just did the actual pronouncement at the hospital.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Fancy Corndog posted:

What an awesome middle-finger that would be.

Well they're not charging him as an 'enemy combatant' according to I don't know, probably Fox or something- so if he's charged under normal federal law he'd be up for felony murder for his brother probably.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

TOOT BOOT posted:

Timothy McVeigh was caught almost instantly as far as I can remember, they just didn't realize they had arrested the bomber for a few days.

You may be right, I tried looking it up on wiki but it's vague in terms of dates. Does sound like he was caught pretty quickly though thanks to a well-timed traffic violation.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

krazysigmarite posted:

No. A friend interviewed by CNN earlier today said he was "chillax". That is COMPLETELY different!

OMG BYZANTIUM
Dec 30, 2008

OatmealRaisin posted:

I think that was the dad. I think the official word out of Chechneya was "Holy poo poo gently caress those guys please don't bomb us Putin"

Nope, found it. It was indeed the president of Chechneya (honestly not sure how much that title is worth though).

http://www.slate.com/blogs/weigel/2013/04/19/chechen_president_seek_the_root_of_this_evil_in_america.html

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Crazy Ted posted:

It makes me wonder how much we'll really need CCTV in 10-15 years when everybody will have a high-definition camera in their phone anyway.

Probably not much. Especially since some people have the instant reaction to film/photograph when crazy poo poo happens.

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

Crazy Ted posted:

McVeigh was actually arrested after only a few hours.

Ninety minutes and for driving without plates. Also had a weapon illegally.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

booshi posted:

Probably not much. Especially since some people have the instant reaction to film/photograph when crazy poo poo happens.
That is precisely what I was thinking.

gently caress This Puzzle posted:

Timothy McVeigh: member of the Herp Derp Militia.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Is there any detail on his health condition right now?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

octoroon posted:

Yeah. Of course it's important that we understand his motives, the forces that drove him to it, any potential circumstances or incapacities that influenced his thinking or behavior. But that's all mostly clinical, empathy is asking way too much. We're not Motherfucking Theresa or whatever.

I wouldn't cite Mother Theresa as a paragon of empathy per se.

In any case, I'm really glad that this manhunt had a successful ending. Have we heard about the status of the other officers who were wounded?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
What does Kai have to say about all of this?

simple
Apr 11, 2007

Invicta{HOG}, M.D. posted:

No way he's going to die looking like that.

Agreed, he is upright and trying to get to his feet. Just after that image, I imagine he was pelted with those beans bags they called in. The next couple of days are going to rough on him depending upon how imbedded the lead from his gunshots wounds are.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
Cheering for justice is stupid? What the gently caress? No, THAT is stupid. Cheering that a dangerous criminal was apprehended and will face legal consequences for bombing random people is completely appropriate and understandable.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Capslock Holmes posted:

Is there any detail on his health condition right now?

"Serious condition."

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

thunderspanks posted:

Well they're not charging him as an 'enemy combatant' according to I don't know, probably Fox or something- so if he's charged under normal federal law he'd be up for felony murder for his brother probably.

Hes an American citizen committing crimes on American soil apprehended by regular police. There was little to no chance of being considered a enemy combatant anyway.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

OatmealRaisin posted:

"Serious condition."

"Not dead"

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

TOOT BOOT posted:

Isn't cardiac arrest basically = dead anyway? They probably just did the actual pronouncement at the hospital.

Yeah, I don't know about MA, but a lot of states have very strict rules regarding who can declare a patient dead.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

SlenderWhore posted:

Cheering for justice is stupid? What the gently caress? No, THAT is stupid. Cheering that a dangerous criminal was apprehended and will face legal consequences for bombing random people is completely appropriate and understandable.
Personally, I was cheering for the sexy clothestaker robots more than anything else.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

SlenderWhore posted:

But... the violence inherent in the system :cry:

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

pocket pool posted:

Spotted your problem.

I know. It sucks that the media is our only source of info now, considering a lot of us were just getting all our info directly from that scanner stream earlier.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'm still so glad for how things turned out. The Boston PD is beyond professional, and while I'm not a drinking man myself I hope they're all getting sloshed somewhere. I wish I lived up there so I could celebrate with everyone, I certainly feel like it.

Nothing can undo what these two idiot kids have done, but we can get some answers and some closure.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

bow chicka wow wow posted:

The Harris-Klebold explanation seems to make the most sense with the paucity of information we have right now.

Maybe he was the "ringleader" - we don't actually know - but it at least looks like he was an extremely weak personality who wanted to be approved by his brother badly enough that he ended up thinking "bombing kids" was a better idea than "calling the police." That's nowhere near a legal defense, of course.
I know. He will inevitably blame it on his brother and probably avoid the death penalty because of it.

It's just wishful thinking of mine that maybe we could get some genuine answers. Even if he was just vying for his brother's approval, I'd like to know the intimate details of why his brother had such a hard-on for the US or maybe just Boston that he decided to bomb poo poo.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

gently caress This Puzzle posted:

Sheesh, I was way off. In my defense, I was only like 7 at the time :shobon:

Misandrist Duck
Oct 22, 2012

Muck and Mire posted:

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Dans Legs
Jul 3, 2008

Volume posted:

Does this defense even work in any sort of case? "I was influenced into doing it" "Aww you poor thing. Not guilty!"

It can result in lighter sentencing sometimes, but I've never seen someone get off scott-free for it, no. Course, I can't claim to have pored over a lot of cases where it was used.

• Locked thread