Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Orange Devil posted:

oh but hey on the bright side, you probably would never notice just how broken all these systems are either, since it'd take you years to play a couple decades due to the slow turn speeds. :v:

There's a guy on the Ageod forums playing Italy - he's up to 1881 now, having unified Italy and putting a ridiculous amount of detail into his updates. It's worth a read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Yeah, Pride of Nations is basically unplayable. Alea Jacta Est does similar things on a smaller scale, and because of the smaller scale it's actually possible to play it.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I established Scotland! :scotland: Freeing them from the yolk of English oppression.

They're...interesting. Their industry is pretty good and starts off well ranked, but their military might is terrible. If I'm going to get anywhere I'm going to have to pick on small nations and grow from there. I did start a war with Tunis, thinking I could go through there into Africa, but then just as I'm about to win the Ottoman's jump in to help them! Very annoying.

Its pretty easy to get to secondary power rather quickly and great power doesn't seem too far off if I can get my prestige up.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

WMain00 posted:

I established Scotland! :scotland: Freeing them from the yolk of English oppression.

Those darn Englishmen with their vile imperialistic eggs!! :argh:

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Star posted:

I tried to sphere Denmark for decades but the UK banned me every time I got above 50 in influence and I was too chicken to go to war with them over Denmark. I probably should have tried to form a grand alliance against them but I was mostly interested in seeing how the world would turn out at the end of the period.
Do you just blindly fire all your influence at them, or how do you approach it? The AI won't kick you out if you aren't actively influence a state, so you just need to pay attention to how much influence they have. Under 50 you should go full tilt, at 49.X you should stop completely. At some point the AI is going to spend it on someone else, and then you can start influencing again. Not once have this approach failed me, and it never took decades.

WMain00 posted:

Yoke. :eng101:

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
Does HoD do anything to make Great Britain and USA less useless as alliance partners?

I just had a great war in AHD between Krakow(me), Egypt and the USA vs. Great Britain and the North German Federation + 3 german minors. France and Russia was beating up NGF in a separate Great War, so I could just place a single regiment in all their provinces and wait for that war to finish. GBR had colonized most of Africa below Congo and my forces met no resistance there while occupying all their colonies. USA never sent a single boat over the ocean and in the end I grabbed east and west Preussen along with the 5x great war capitulations without even fighting a single battle.

In my previous game I was Sweden allied with GBR fighting against NGF and I managed to occupy all of Holstein while holding off the German forces, but GBR didn't even bother to blockade them with their superior navy, and instead sat with several 100k soldiers in Ireland for several years before finally accepting a white peace with NGF. With HoD I probably would have won the war with ticking war score, but it's really annoying to see Britain sitting there with 5 times the German forces a short boat ride away and doing nothing.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

drat, playing Uruguay is tedious. I have a soft spot for them because I took them to like 400 million inhabitants one time in Ricky, but I think this is going to be my last try in Victoria 2 for a while. There's two things in Uruguay: cows and sheep. You can get a whole bunch of immigrants, but industrializing is really, really hard because you need to import everything and even at the best of times there were more than 20 countries ahead of me in the queue.

I had just gotten to the point where I realized that I could conceivably beat up Argentina and take their sheep when I got the hugest loving communist revolution and my desperate last stand in Montevideo left ~1000 communists alive. Now I've got a baller flag, but no more immigrants.

I guess I should have built up my military as soon as my soldier pops were getting huge, but money was really tight the whole time and I'm not sure I could have sustained the army before attacking Argentina. So here's a question: when exactly do you go bankrupt? I'm always really reluctant to go into debt because I never know when it's going to push me over the edge.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

V for Vegas posted:

There's a guy on the Ageod forums playing Italy - he's up to 1881 now, having unified Italy and putting a ridiculous amount of detail into his updates. It's worth a read.

From that guy's first post:

quote:

I should say, this is a vanilla game but with quite a lot of scripts and events imposed. Some of these correct for in-game event chains that are broken and some are to make my emerging Europe make sense.

So, not at all vanilla, then.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Orange Devil posted:

Trust me this is a good thing because PoN is a horrible piece of poo poo game and here's why:

Edit: oh but hey on the bright side, you probably would never notice just how broken all these systems are either, since it'd take you years to play a couple decades due to the slow turn speeds. :v:

Looking back on my receipts, turns out I bought PON for 9 bucks.

I feel like I got my money's worth out of it through the scenarios and DLCs: The Spanish-American War, Franco-Prussian War, American Civil War, Boer War and Russo-Japanese War scenarios are just pure combat with none of the economic noise, turn limits are reasonable and the AI processing is bearable.

Too bad about the rest of the game though - although one thing I did appreciate was a couple of optional settings that would basically give you free claims/CBs (cores?) on everything. Basically a "yes please make it hassle-free for me to conquer the world as long as I can swing the manpower and combat" toggle.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Lord Hydronium posted:

Speaking of music, anyone know any good sources of free (public domain or Creative Commons) music from the Victoria era? I've already imported the Victoria 1 soundtrack.

I dunno if someone's answered this yet, but it is the soundtrack from a gem of a game called Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (it's Fallout 1/2 in a fantasy/steampunk world; it's not the stupid kind of steampunk).

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

What exactly does a Great War Capitulation do, just award massive reparations to the victors, and a huge prestige dump for the losers? In my last APD game, my Great War looked like La Plata, France, UK, and USA on one side and Germany/Russia on the other. Germany was a democracy (but somehow with the NSDAP in power...) and after the war there didn't look to be any major domestic political repurcussions for them at all. They remained a democracy, and the NSDAP stayed in power totally legitimately.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The only thing slower than PoN at processing turns is Gradenko. :rimshot:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

* What affects literacy? Is it as important to make Clergymen in V1 as it is in V2?
* Do the social reforms help? Particularly, I noticed I can enact any of the social reforms from day 1 (as long as I can afford it). Is throwing up Healthcare as powerful as it is in V2?
* For that matter, is it worth liberalizing/socializing for the purposes of attracting immigrants? I've long heard of V1 having wonky immigration to the tune of the American continent being overpowered (and hardcoded to be so?)
* How aggressively should I be converting my POPs into Craftsmen? I suppose if I ignore manual POP splitting this would be "whenever you have spare Farmer/Labourer POPs to convert"

*In V1, literacy is affected solely by the education slider.
*Not sure about social reforms, but I think they just reduce militancy in the lower classes.
*I'm fairly certain that if you're not in the New World, you won't get immigrants ever.
*If you've got a profitable factory for them to work in, you should try to fill it up. Keep in mind though that V1 has a weird production algorithm. Two craftsmen POPs of 20k people each will be more productive than a single POP of 50k. Still, don't split POPs because the AI can't and it's boring.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

gradenko_2000 posted:

* What affects literacy? Is it as important to make Clergymen in V1 as it is in V2?
* Do the social reforms help? Particularly, I noticed I can enact any of the social reforms from day 1 (as long as I can afford it). Is throwing up Healthcare as powerful as it is in V2?
* For that matter, is it worth liberalizing/socializing for the purposes of attracting immigrants? I've long heard of V1 having wonky immigration to the tune of the American continent being overpowered (and hardcoded to be so?)
* How aggressively should I be converting my POPs into Craftsmen? I suppose if I ignore manual POP splitting this would be "whenever you have spare Farmer/Labourer POPs to convert"

*Education slider only. Crank it up to 100.
*Social reforms only really affect militancy, and they cost you money to maintain (later on this can be quite a lot of money, too).
*If I remember Ricky right, yeah there would be a trickle of immigrants for the entire New World, but the USA tag was hard-coded to receive the vast majority of them. There was no way around this as far as I remember, and it got to the point where some modders (I think... either Hohenzollern or the Jerusalem mega-LP?) just assigned the USA tag to completely different countries (Australia) in order to make it a little less predictable.
*This is probably personal playstyle, but unless I was playing a gigantic country in Ricky and the micromanagement just became unbearable, I'd pause every couple of years, manually split all pops once they hit 40k, and promote to craftsmen/clerks as needed for my factories. Yeah it's micro-y but it was also the best way to beef up my industry.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Oh yeah I forgot that even if you do get immigrants, they'll only assimilate at a reasonable rate if you're in the New World. Did I mention that non-national culture POPs are only half as productive? Because they are.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

So I managed to kick Britain out of India as Japan (ticking warscore :v:), forcing them to release the entire country and an interesting thing happened. All of the territories that were British India were handed straight over to the Portuguese 1 province puppeted/sphered India. Thanks to India's enormous population it was impossible to push their sphere away. Wasn't worth waging a war over as I could tell that India would shortly become a GP (which they did in under a year) but I guess now I understand Portugal's strategy...

Game is much better with HoD, even with Africa's UGLY BORDERS. In my game, the east has grabbed up 3 GP slots (Japan, India, and China) while Europe cowers in fear.

Nuclearmonkee fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 20, 2013

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Thanks for the answers. What can be done about the immigration thing? Seems like a European or Asian nation would be working at a pretty big handicap with it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I must be insane because I started playing Vicky 2 on my first run with my EUIII save. Aside from a few great powers Europe is totally balkanized and the USA isn't even a continuous country along the Eastern coast. It's hard to tell what the hell is going on since there is so much conflict. Nearly every power could easily defeat the great powers in a slug fest at the start of the game.

A few of the countries I'll assume do not exist in Vicky 2. Such as Champagne and England. So when the import happened it renamed with open country names in Alphabetical order. England is called Bhopal and Cuba is over in the caucuses because there was no Golden Horde. My EUIII game was loving insane by the end anyway, Great Britain was a separate entity from England, Scotland, Northumberland and Wales. If I couldn't afford the infamy hit for annexing I'd just liberate. When GB invaded me over my Italian provinces it was a loving deathmatch to maximum war weariness and total manpower depletion on both sides. After I "won" the war by capturing England I let war drag just so their revolts would liberate themselves from USA down through Mexico to Argentina. The left over red in there is just remnants of the British Empire being chipped away unattended. France exploded after the 100 years war and never recovered and is better known as "Canada" since that is all they own since they decided to get the gently caress out of Europe and live in the colonies.

This world is way way more chaotic than the centralized large states in the vanilla scenarios. If I had a severe case of OCD I'd look for a way to rename the countries to closer historical states.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

Thanks for the answers. What can be done about the immigration thing? Seems like a European or Asian nation would be working at a pretty big handicap with it.

There's nothing you can do about it, outside of modding. That's just the way the game was designed.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

YouTuber posted:

I must be insane because I started playing Vicky 2 on my first run with my EUIII save. Aside from a few great powers Europe is totally balkanized and the USA isn't even a continuous country along the Eastern coast. It's hard to tell what the hell is going on since there is so much conflict. Nearly every power could easily defeat the great powers in a slug fest at the start of the game.

A few of the countries I'll assume do not exist in Vicky 2. Such as Champagne and England. So when the import happened it renamed with open country names in Alphabetical order. England is called Bhopal and Cuba is over in the caucuses because there was no Golden Horde. My EUIII game was loving insane by the end anyway, Great Britain was a separate entity from England, Scotland, Northumberland and Wales. If I couldn't afford the infamy hit for annexing I'd just liberate. When GB invaded me over my Italian provinces it was a loving deathmatch to maximum war weariness and total manpower depletion on both sides. After I "won" the war by capturing England I let war drag just so their revolts would liberate themselves from USA down through Mexico to Argentina. The left over red in there is just remnants of the British Empire being chipped away unattended. France exploded after the 100 years war and never recovered and is better known as "Canada" since that is all they own since they decided to get the gently caress out of Europe and live in the colonies.

This world is way way more chaotic than the centralized large states in the vanilla scenarios. If I had a severe case of OCD I'd look for a way to rename the countries to closer historical states.

Dang this looks ridiculous. Any chance you'd publish the save/scenario so the rest of us can try it out? As nice as the regular 1836 start is I love batshit scenarios like this so much more.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Woah how do you import games? This is something I wish Paradox gave more official support in doing right, so we could better export/import our games. the only time I really successfully did this was taking a Ricky game and playing HoI2. How good is the converter for eu3 to V2?

Also is conquest even really worth it in v2? In eu3 you could sit on a place for 50 years and eventually get a core on it, and if you conquered enough of a people they could become an accepted culture or even assimilate into your culture. The time frame of v2 though seems too short for this sort of huge scale nationa/cultural change. Can you even get new cores in v2?

In my Czech game I have Czech and Slovak as national cultures, I grabbed a state from hungary that had some minority slovak population but other than that I'm not sure if it's worth/possible to really expand. I mean all the south germans in my north aren't even accepted. Is there a way to add more cultures to accepted culture, or at least get new cores? I don't see any timer or tool-tip like in eu3 so I'm assuming no.

Baronjutter fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 20, 2013

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Baronjutter posted:

Woah how do you import games? This is something I wish Paradox gave more official support in doing right, so we could better export/import our games. the only time I really successfully did this was taking a Ricky game and playing HoI2. How good is the converter for eu3 to V2?

Also is conquest even really worth it in v2? In eu3 you could sit on a place for 50 years and eventually get a core on it, and if you conquered enough of a people they could become an accepted culture or even assimilate into your culture. The time frame of v2 though seems too short for this sort of huge scale nationa/cultural change. Can you even get new cores in v2?

In my Czech game I have Czech and Slovak as national cultures, I grabbed a state from hungary that had some minority slovak population but other than that I'm not sure if it's worth/possible to really expand. I mean all the south germans in my north aren't even accepted. Is there a way to add more cultures to accepted culture, or at least get new cores? I don't see any timer or tool-tip like in eu3 so I'm assuming no.

There's no open timer or tooltip, but you can get events for it easily. Whenever I play Prussia > Germany and take Bohemia/Morovia off of Austria, those will usually core by the end of the game, and my recent Japan game got cores on Malaya. I think it may have something to do with having a certain percentage of accepted cultures?

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, the core gain event is based on having a majority accepted/primary culture in the province, so take decisions in events that give you increased assimilation rate if you want to gain cores. Though, to be fair, cores do affect your ability to wage wars on a territory and modify taxes a bit, but aren't half as important as they are in EU3, so you can just ignore them.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Mirdini posted:

Dang this looks ridiculous. Any chance you'd publish the save/scenario so the rest of us can try it out? As nice as the regular 1836 start is I love batshit scenarios like this so much more.

https://mega.co.nz/#!6IgD0A6I!aWf9EwdquxBgi-h0b--9PComVoRmZvqgTx9Y7kAjXpo

Sure, by all means have fun. The country names are funky as a result of the import process but if it matters enough you could get a save game file editor and clean it up. Some of the locations for countries are utterly deranged compared to their real life counterparts. California Republic is in Ireland because I'm assuming there is no Connatch country and Empire of Mexico is in California (this makes sense because California was owned by Castille the entire game before the revolt). Byzantium; being the player country is easily the strongest power but I still feel if it got a decent Alliance of GP or a Persia that bides it's time for the right opportunity as it's a partial civ could cause it to Byzantium to crumble fast.

The Great Powers page is hosed up on launch but let it run for an ingame month and it will recognize the stats of the current powers and put them in.

YouTuber fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Apr 20, 2013

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I know this question comes up from time to time, but what are some fun starts in HoD? I'm finding that late game Japan doesn't have much to do, I'm too isolated to start a real world war and whenever I get involved in a crisis I never see any action. :sigh:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I know this question comes up from time to time, but what are some fun starts in HoD? I'm finding that late game Japan doesn't have much to do, I'm too isolated to start a real world war and whenever I get involved in a crisis I never see any action. :sigh:

The Dutch can be pretty fun. Immediate war with Belgium if you want it (basically a free annexation if you can get France to ally with you right away), then you can spend years warring around the East Indies while you wait for the Scramble for Africa to unlock.

Alternatively, be the Belgians, beat up the Dutch and steal the East Indies from them, then do the same thing.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

If you want world wars nothing beats Prussia > Germany. Enjoy conquering the rest of Europe or die trying.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Baronjutter posted:

If you can keep a handle on the nationalism, conquest helps guarantee that resources and markets are kept under your direct control, boosting your economy. In theory, anyways.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

I just reinstalled EUIII and every country just has a black box appearing as a flag. Anyone have a suggestion for fixing this?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Grab little spots all over for naval bases/forts. I took Aceh/Sumatra, Suez, and Panama which gives me reach to pretty much everywhere. Grabbing canal zones also prevents your enemies from using them to reach you.

As lategame Japan you always have the option of declaring war on China and amassing amazing kill counts.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Soylent Pudding posted:

I just reinstalled EUIII and every country just has a black box appearing as a flag. Anyone have a suggestion for fixing this?

Delete the flag cache in My Documents.

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I had a fun time playing as Austria and immediately releasing all of the countries I could except Bohemia (it leaves you too weak if you do it right away) - basically make Austria look like this:

You're still fairly strong with 2.5m pop and assured alliances with all your satellites, and have a lot of interesting goals like: create a South German Federation by conquering Bavaria, force Prussia and Russia to give up their Polish/Ukrainian/Romanian lands and create a alliance of strong buffer states.

This is how my game ended up:

Prague ended up being the largest city in Continental Europe with around 1.8 million people, and Vienna the most industrialized with 30% craftsmen. Poland became a great power during the 1860-90s before the eastern tigers of China/Japan rose up but we remained fast friends and kicked the poo poo out of Germany so much that it turned Fascist and still lost land to Denmark (I had nothing to do with that haha.)

In retrospect I should have released the Czech Republic awhile back and focused on finally taking over Wuttenberg/Baden for maximum South German state but it was a fun game!

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Playing HoD, I've been getting a crash to desktop bug at the start of the Civil War. It happens right at the event where you can either choose to be the Union or the Confederacy. It's happened twice already during two different playthroughs, so it's reproducible. Is this a problem on my end or is it something others have experienced as well?

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Wow am I still terrible at Victoria 2. The economy in this game is so mind bogglingly rough at times. How can I industrialize as a liberal democracy. Im so used to just giving capitalists a start through manually building or interesting. Now though it seems like I cannot get capitalists to build anything without dropping my tariffs so low that i hemorrhage money. And if something does get built it closes leaving a ton of my capitalists broke. I have so many unemployed workers it's crazy. Short of a revolution, what do i do?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
:siren: This is a mod service announcement :siren:

My Sengoku mod for CK2 now works with the latest patch.

Sorry, nothing else really.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Scrree posted:

I had a fun time playing as Austria and immediately releasing all of the countries I could except Bohemia (it leaves you too weak if you do it right away) - basically make Austria look like this:

You're still fairly strong with 2.5m pop and assured alliances with all your satellites, and have a lot of interesting goals like: create a South German Federation by conquering Bavaria, force Prussia and Russia to give up their Polish/Ukrainian/Romanian lands and create a alliance of strong buffer states.

This is how my game ended up:

Prague ended up being the largest city in Continental Europe with around 1.8 million people, and Vienna the most industrialized with 30% craftsmen. Poland became a great power during the 1860-90s before the eastern tigers of China/Japan rose up but we remained fast friends and kicked the poo poo out of Germany so much that it turned Fascist and still lost land to Denmark (I had nothing to do with that haha.)

In retrospect I should have released the Czech Republic awhile back and focused on finally taking over Wuttenberg/Baden for maximum South German state but it was a fun game!

Man, Denmark was going crazy in your game.

BillBear
Mar 13, 2013

Ask me about running my country straight into the ground every time I play EU4 multiplayer.

Scrree posted:

Is that the Dutch in southern France?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is there any way to ADD more accepted cultures or are they hard coded to your nation? Like if my nation becomes 50% german will german become an accepted culture like in eu3 or am I stuck with Czech/Slovak forever?

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Oh, Africa :allears:.

Baronjutter posted:

Is there any way to ADD more accepted cultures or are they hard coded to your nation? Like if my nation becomes 50% german will german become an accepted culture like in eu3 or am I stuck with Czech/Slovak forever?

Whilst I don't know of any way for cultures to become accepted in game (though a mod may do that) - if it makes legitimate sense, I usually edit my save game and add an accepted culture. If you don't mind doing that, searching for human=yes and then your primary culture, like, say "british" will take you to your culture section - the layout is as such:

primary_culture="irish"
culture=
{
"british"
"ainu"

Basically that would give you primary culture, irish, obviously, with british and, for no apparent reason, say, ainu, as accepted cultures. If you typo a culture it will show ingame as noculture, which lets you know you should go fix it.

Hope that helps.

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Baronjutter posted:

I think you would have to mod your save file (?) manually, otherwise no.

Edit: beaten like austria

Farecoal fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Apr 20, 2013

• Locked thread