Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

whereismyshoe
Oct 21, 2008

that's not gone well...

Kevar posted:

My city isn't even big (Poughkeepsie). I got there an hour before they opened and there were already over 100 people in line. Took me two hours of them being open to finally even get inside. I only wanted Until Your Heart Stops but I had a few backup items just so I wouldn't leave empty handed. I still ended up leaving empty handed.

Apparently people started lining up at 4am.

Darkside?

Another small towner checking in, i waltzed into my record store half an hour after open and grabbed the white stripes and liquid tension experiment, paid, and left. it's not a huge thing around here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax
I really should have checked to see the release of Komeda was only 750 worldwide before I left the house. Waiting in line for a record they never got on top of getting up early on a Saturday is something I don't care to repeat. Maybe I got there earlier last year but the line was about 5x as long as it was last year at the Zia Chandler store. (Phoenix, Az suburb)

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Apr 20, 2013

savesthedayrocks
Mar 18, 2004
Small town (Boise, lol) here. I waited 2 hours, but my buddy and I were one of the first 10 or so in. Got everything I wanted, somehow he missed one that he wanted.

Scoff at my music tastes

Here's the bag we got for being one of the first

All in all it was a good experience. Nice people, no pushing that I saw, and I was out within a half hour of opening. Can't wait to break these open and start playing them.

Kevar
Jan 1, 2005
gimmar

whereismyshoe posted:

Darkside?

Another small towner checking in, i waltzed into my record store half an hour after open and grabbed the white stripes and liquid tension experiment, paid, and left. it's not a huge thing around here

Yup, it's not a bad store but I'll never go there on RSD again. Apparently Titus Andronicus are doing an instore there this afternoon. I have no idea if they're playing a set or just doing a signing though.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

alg posted:

At the popular store here in Raleigh, there were people still in line when I drove past at 11:30.

They opened at 8.

Schoolkids is not even worth dealing with, in my opinion. Yeah, they're a CIMS joint so they always get everything, but it's just such a zoo and very much represents the stereotype of people who only hit up a record store one day a year on RSD. I haven't gone there in the last couple of years.

I got everything I was looking for this year: the Fela 12", the Death Waltz 12"s and 7"s, the Three O'Clock live LP, the Golden Gunn LP, the Theppabutr Productions 2LP, the BEAK> 10", and the Malkmus covering Can LP (which is definitely the record I shouldn't have bought because I'll listen to it once or twice and never again). RSD may be a hassle, but I'm about to spend a nice stoned afternoon listening to some cool records.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

chime_on posted:

Schoolkids is not even worth dealing with, in my opinion. Yeah, they're a CIMS joint so they always get everything, but it's just such a zoo and very much represents the stereotype of people who only hit up a record store one day a year on RSD. I haven't gone there in the last couple of years.

I got everything I was looking for this year: the Fela 12", the Death Waltz 12"s and 7"s, the Three O'Clock live LP, the Golden Gunn LP, the Theppabutr Productions 2LP, the BEAK> 10", and the Malkmus covering Can LP (which is definitely the record I shouldn't have bought because I'll listen to it once or twice and never again). RSD may be a hassle, but I'm about to spend a nice stoned afternoon listening to some cool records.

Yeah I am not a Schoolkids fan.

Nice Price Books was great, I am gonna stop in there more often.

Bull City Records is still my favorite. (Where did you go?)

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

alg posted:

Yeah I am not a Schoolkids fan.

Nice Price Books was great, I am gonna stop in there more often.

Bull City Records is still my favorite. (Where did you go?)

I did Bull City and All Day.

I like Nice Price-- I pretty frequently use my lunch break to go there and buy records. Schoolkids has gone from mediocre to annoying since it came under new management. Their prices have gotten so stupid. They are now the kind of store who prices AC/DC and Genesis records at $20. The flipside of that is that they are also the store who will put Philles records or like a Bruce Gilbert record in the 99 cent bin, so I do pop in occasionally.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
All I wanted was the Deathwaltz releases, but I got zilch :(

If someone can get their hands on those, I would gladly reward you for your troubles.

I did find this in the 2nd hand section in near mint condition though:

Ghumbs
Jan 1, 2006

What I wanted most was Theppabutr Productions: The Man Behind the Molam Sound 1972-75 but I didn't see it anywhere. I don't think it was terribly rare, either (2000 copies) so if someone sees it I'd gladly pay you for your troubles.

I did find this, however:

Spent the better part of an hour in line to check out but that's ok, I guess. RSD is a little too much for me.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I watched the last ATDI record walk out of the store while I was in line to get to the table. That was ... unfortunate. Hopefully, it gets a regular re-release soon. I'm ok if it's sans "Catacombs" because I have it on the Burning Airlines split. I ended up with the Round about Midnight, the Nick Drake record, and an RSD release of /[Deserter's Song's]/ because hot drat I love that album.

So much more I wanted to grab, but I didn't want to totally pillage the checking account lest I get smothered with a pillow in the middle of the night.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

hatelull posted:

I watched the last ATDI record walk out of the store while I was in line to get to the table. That was ... unfortunate. Hopefully, it gets a regular re-release soon. I'm ok if it's sans "Catacombs" because I have it on the Burning Airlines split. I ended up with the Round about Midnight, the Nick Drake record, and an RSD release of /[Deserter's Song's]/ because hot drat I love that album.

So much more I wanted to grab, but I didn't want to totally pillage the checking account lest I get smothered with a pillow in the middle of the night.

That's not Deserter's Songs, it's a bunch of demos and stuff.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Here's what I got:

Flaming Lips - Zaireeka (finally)
Mercury Rev - Deserted Songs
Tame Impala - s/t EP
Titus Andronicus - RSD EP
Prince - Lovesexy
Ludacris - Word of Mouf

Other than Zaireeka, I'm pretty psyched about those Prince and Ludacris albums.

Also, I feel like 200 times gayer than I already am for having that Prince album. Just for that cover.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Queued up at 6am in Glasgow and got these, the only thing they didn't have that I wanted was the Mercury Rev release but I can live without that. So glad to have the Beta Band EPs finally. The Death Waltz 7" is Star Trek/Lost in Space.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

Dissapointed Owl posted:

All I wanted was the Deathwaltz releases, but I got zilch :(

If someone can get their hands on those, I would gladly reward you for your troubles.

I did find this in the 2nd hand section in near mint condition though:

That's easily the best find anyone has posted today, and harder to track down that the planned scarcities that are RSD releases, too. I wish more Kozelek/SKM/RHP stuff was readily available on vinyl.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Woke up 10 min ago. Probably wasn't going to find that Dan Deacon 7" anyway.

Edit: got it, and some used Tom Lehrer

Edit again: gently caress autocorrect

cheapandugly fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Apr 20, 2013

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Ugh, the smaller record store near my house didn't get any sigur ros or white stripes. I still got a copy of the Nick Drake compilation and didn't have to deal with the crowds at amoeba, so there's that at least.

chime_on
Jul 27, 2001

theradiostillsucks posted:

That's easily the best find anyone has posted today, and harder to track down that the planned scarcities that are RSD releases, too. I wish more Kozelek/SKM/RHP stuff was readily available on vinyl.

You know, you can post about how you dig sad-dude AC/DC covers without pissing on other people who are psyched to buy records by artists they like. And how is a pressing of 1000 LPs by an indie label planned scarcity if it happened to be released today, but like totally awesome if it happened to be released in 2001?

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
I honestly forgot all about RSD. I am okay with that.

Medium Cool
Dec 27, 2006

Yr sister is a beauty when she's naked
Grimey Drawer

chime_on posted:

the Malkmus covering Can LP (which is definitely the record I shouldn't have bought because I'll listen to it once or twice and never again). RSD may be a hassle, but I'm about to spend a nice stoned afternoon listening to some cool records.

This was on my wishlist and no where to be found in NW Arkansas according to three of my friends who were first in line at basically the only other stores in the area. I'd be willing to buy it from you if you decide you want to sell it. Same goes for the Thurston Moore record if anyone is having buyer's remorse for that one.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Day loving salvaged:

theradiostillsucks posted:

I wish more Kozelek/SKM/RHP stuff was readily available on vinyl.

The RHP stuff in particular is impossible to find for a decent price. :smith: I got this for 35 bucks and its in absolutely amazing condition. loving lucky.

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

ChiTownEddie posted:

I honestly forgot all about RSD. I am okay with that.

I didn't but I also didn't participate. Maybe I'll take a walk down to the store to see what they have left. I really only wanted the Brubeck release anyways.

theradiostillsucks
Feb 3, 2006

I am the undisputed king of an infinite amount of nothing, don't correct me when I'm wrong, I'm proud to wear the crown of fools

chime_on posted:

You know, you can post about how you dig sad-dude AC/DC covers without pissing on other people who are psyched to buy records by artists they like. And how is a pressing of 1000 LPs by an indie label planned scarcity if it happened to be released today, but like totally awesome if it happened to be released in 2001?

This is (thankfully) the first year I haven't worked a RSD, so there's that contributing to my being jaded. The whole thing is mostly an insincere, no-risk money grab. There are some cool releases, but none of them are worth fighting the crowd of people who never show up at their local record store any other time of the year, quite a few of whom are solely interested in flipping the high demand releases. If you want to do a special color for those folks to fight over and covet, fine, I could care less, but the vast majority of the releases are garbage and making the ones that actually are somewhat interesting (not surprisingly, mostly reissues) only available in tiny print runs just seems kind of silly.

2001 wasn't exactly a high point for vinyl, as evidenced by the low print runs of a lot of records that came out around that time. For the most part, releasing records at that time wasn't so much about making a limited run for collectors to sperg out over, it was about "how many of these can we reasonably assume we'll sell so we're not left with boxes of them in a storage closet five years down the road?"

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Is anybody else who ordered the Blade Runner soundtrack from Amazon getting this:

Amazon posted:

Vangelis "Blade Runner Original Soundtrack (180g Translucent Red Vinyl)"
Estimated arrival date: May 03, 2013 - May 07, 2013

Sexy Randal
Jul 26, 2006

woah
I didn't get any fancy RSD stuff but I did use the 20% off discount on everything in the store to get a copy of QOTSA's self-titled and Desert Sessions III/IV, so I'm happy!

Crumbletron
Jul 21, 2006

IT'S YOUR BOY JESUS, MANE
Yep. No ATDI. Got Ghostface Killah's Ironman, though.

No big loss, but I would've liked the extras.

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

Grabbed the new David Bowie single and Factory Records Communications 78-92 10". Was the Coldplay Hurts Like Heaven 7" picture disc UK exclusive or something? None of the shops had any.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Is anybody else who ordered the Blade Runner soundtrack from Amazon getting this:

Yep. It got delayed it seems.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
I was working today so I couldn't pull any camping out shenanigans, although I did get one record store day release (of which I didn't even know was coming out), TSOL's You Don't Have To Die EP.

I also told the store owner that I'd pay him 2 bucks for the Bad Romance 7" picture disc, and he said okay on the premise that I open it there and promise to go home and actually play it. It's spinning right now.

perfectecho
Jun 4, 2002
All I wanted was the Mike Watt and the Husker, got the Watt, shame about the Husker. Also thrilled to have the very non-exclusive Replacements Songs For Slim Red 12" in the collection.

SlowlyChoking
Nov 23, 2004

Open fierce skies on me, on a bird and we experience the new death indeed.
Didn't visit my shop until around 11am and was able to grab Grizzly Bear - Horn of Plenty, Junip - Junip and Ólafur Arnalds ‎– For Now I Am Winter. Those are the three albums I was hoping for so I made out pretty good.

The new Junip is loving gorgeous both musically and aesthetically.

SlowlyChoking fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Apr 21, 2013

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say
Does anyone else who got Relationship of Command yesterday know where to claim the download? The card says to enter it at http://bit.ly/atdiroc but that page is a 404 :(

The Human Cow
May 24, 2004

hurry up
I ended up with the White Stripes album, the Hold Steady 7", the Mumford & Sons 10", the Blind Melon album + EP, and the Notorious BIG album. I couldn't resist Biggie :) I showed up at the Earshot in Charleston 15 minutes before they opened and was around 8th in line. A couple of guys that I talked to at the other shop, Monster, said that people were in line for about three hours before they opened. It's getting more and more ridiculous every year...

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

I couldn't get the special edition though.

Shampoohorn
Nov 20, 2004
I'm officially sick of RSD. Really wanted that Blind Melon as I can't afford the original. Got stuck at work and of course all gone. Check ebay and see 60 for sale at $60-85.

I did pick up the Type O/Deep Purple 7" but pretty down on missing one of my favorite albums of my teenage years.

If anyone wants to unload their Blind Melon LP for a reasonable price send me a PM.

Elrobot
Dec 28, 2004
Press the buttons all at once, all of the time
Today was the first day I really went record shopping in a long time, a couple friends invited me out to a few stores this afternoon and I decided to end a fairly long drought of not buying new vinyl from a record store. It was cool seeing people out and I heard of crazy lines in the morning but nothing was jam packed and everything was friendly, seemed like lots of people who'd never even been a legit record store based on a bit of chatter.
I wasn't really looking for any RSD stuff except this:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-W6apUk5rU Which I knew I wouldn't get and didn't but I was stoked on the Calexico w/ orchestra RSD I nabbed and complemented it with the Giant Sand record. nostalgia/ultra is a bootleg as they said it was shipped to them under Billy Ocean, it's clear vinyl and came without an inner sleeve. All in all 8 albums, 11 records, 4 with colour

Edit:drat, listening to records and watching basketball playoffs is hard to do at the same time

Elrobot fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 21, 2013

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

I picked up colored copies of Pretty in Pink and Breakfast Club, both are albums I wore out as a kid so it was a kick to see them again. Grabbed the Cure 'Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me' just because I had some extra credit left, rounded out the day with the Flaming Lips and a David Gilmour for $5 in perfect condition.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I wanted the Mad Season reissue and the Alain Johannes split. Sold out of Mad Season before I got in the door, the Alain Johannes split didn't arrive, but I did get the Moistboyz split and Aerosmith's Toys in the Attic. I can live without Mad Season, but I really really wanted that Alain Johannes split. :smith:

insanityv2
May 15, 2011

I'm gay
Somebody beat me to the Phosphorescent reissue :argh: but I managed to get a hold of the Malkmus cover LP.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Mister Kingdom posted:

I got April 30th :smith:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Shampoohorn posted:

I'm officially sick of RSD. Really wanted that Blind Melon as I can't afford the original. Got stuck at work and of course all gone. Check ebay and see 60 for sale at $60-85.

I did pick up the Type O/Deep Purple 7" but pretty down on missing one of my favorite albums of my teenage years.

If anyone wants to unload their Blind Melon LP for a reasonable price send me a PM.

That's the one I really wanted too, but they were out by the time I went. I figure I'll wait until next week and hope the flippers' prices have dropped by then.

My store was doing a 15% off everything else sale though and I bought the new Thee Oh Sees album, it's good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
I get:

quote:

DELIVERY ESTIMATE: WE NEED A LITTLE MORE TIME TO PROVIDE YOU WITH A GOOD ESTIMATE. WE'LL NOTIFY YOU VIA E-MAIL AS SOON AS WE HAVE AN ESTIMATED DELIVERY DATE.