Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Not that it helps the person in question really, but if you're Canadian, MEC has their own line of wicking and/or synthetic clothes that are miles cheaper than namebrand. Most of mine are by them and instead of $50 to $150 for a shirt it's usually $12-$20. Sometimes I'll treat myself to an expensive shirt, but it'll be because I think the design is fantastic and it looks drat good. Since I'm a vain, superficial girl and all :bigtran:

As for flying with my pack, I was just planning on wrapping it at one of those wrapping stations. I'm going to be living out of the thing for two months, so having it damaged or something would loving suck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Marrow
Jan 21, 2009

Everybody here is just as dead as you.
I picked up a North Face Verto 26 recently. It's a great daypack, and a wonderful summit bag. It even compresses down into itself for storage in your expedition bag.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Well the crocuses have bloomed, the daffodils are emerging and the lawn is greening up nicely. Time for a hike...

Good thing I brought my crampons.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
I hope Elijya and Akion are ok. Looks like lots of AT hikers are very sick in the stretch between GSMNP and VA. I hope the rangers look the other way when it comes to enforcing the mandatory shelter stays. :/

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

What kind of water treatment do you guys recommend? All of my backpacking to date has been during the winter, and we melted snow for water. I spend most of my time in the White Mountains in NH.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?

EPICAC posted:

What kind of water treatment do you guys recommend? All of my backpacking to date has been during the winter, and we melted snow for water. I spend most of my time in the White Mountains in NH.

It sort of depends on your situation and length of your trip.

On my last 4 day trip, I brought a 100oz camelback and then planned to boil the rest of my water as there was a fast running river/stream along the length of our hike. I have a 20oz fuel bottle and an MSR whisperlite, and I ended up with a half bottle of fuel at the end of the trip after boiling enough water for the remainder of the trip for 2 people and cooking food. Just to avoid the hassle, I think I'm going to try to invest in a filter instead, gravity filters are really interesting and pack pretty small/light and don't require the time and baby sitting that boiling water does.

I still always bring chlorine tablets anyway just in case you do run out of fuel or something. They are also good to disinfect water overnight while you sleep since they take a while.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

EPICAC posted:

If you have flow and a better source than a stream in a pasture full of cow poo poo, than Aquamira is fine. Cheap too.

stupid puma
Apr 25, 2005

I've used an MSR Miox (which I think is discontinued), a Pur Katadyn and a Sawyer Gravity Filter. I'd say that if you have more than just a puddle from which to get water then go with a gravity filter. They're super easy to use.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
The MSR filters are really good. I'd say that a hand pump is more than easy and quick enough for most purposes. I always carry iodine tabs, it's only 20min until they're ready.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand
I use a Katadyn Hiker and a 100oz Camelback Unbottle. My Camelback has a shutoff valve and quick disconnect just past the mouthpiece that the filter plugs directly into. I cannot think of an easier setup. I don't have to take my pack off, or even bend over most of the time, to filter water quickly and directly from a source, putting it directly into my reservoir.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

ColdCock posted:

I use a Katadyn Hiker and a 100oz Camelback Unbottle. My Camelback has a shutoff valve and quick disconnect just past the mouthpiece that the filter plugs directly into. I cannot think of an easier setup. I don't have to take my pack off, or even bend over most of the time, to filter water quickly and directly from a source, putting it directly into my reservoir.

I just got a Katadyn Hiker Pro, I can't really figure out what the hose setup is supposed to be such that your dirty watered stuff is separate from your clean output, do you have to take the hoses off the filter each time?? It seems like they'd get stretched and worn out, and they were really difficult to squeeze on...

i_heart_ponies
Oct 16, 2005

because I love feces
Yes, take the "dirty" hose off each time and store it in the zip-top plastic bag to keep it separate. I've been using a Hiker Pro heavily since 2007 (group trips with students) and am still using my same hoses, so you don't need to worry about wear and tear. The hoses break in after a half dozen attempts which make putting them on easier, but they are a little tight at first to ensure a snug fit.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Thru-Hike progress: Laid up in Hot Springs, NC for a few days with a Sprained foot. Fortunately there is a ready supply of ice at the bar...

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

Compression and elevation!

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Akion posted:

Thru-Hike progress: Laid up in Hot Springs, NC for a few days with a Sprained foot. Fortunately there is a ready supply of ice at the bar...

Any sign of this stomach virus that's going around, or is it just keyboard hikers getting bent out of shape for nothing?

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Any sign of this stomach virus that's going around, or is it just keyboard hikers getting bent out of shape for nothing?

My wife and her brother went through there this past week and didn't report any problems

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Its definitely A Thing. I have avoided it so far, and most thru hikers are avoiding shelters like the plague. There tends to be an outbreak of something every year. It's a byproduct of the nature of the hiker culture being very communal, I think.

Foot is way better today. Another day or two and I am back on the trail.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the cows of war.

I somehow avoided the Erwin plague last year. Everyone else got really sick and puked and shat all over.

I'm now in my second day of recovery from hip arthroscopy. Had multiple cartilage tears repaired and some deformed bone removed. Here's hoping I'll eventually be able to return to hiking. My leg is currently massively swollen and bruised and bandaged and I'm high as poo poo on meds.

Hella Paunchy
Jul 25, 2007
More fun than a stick in the eye.
Greetings hiking thread,

I'm in the market for some new boots for a trip to MT and CO in July. I bought a pair of these three years ago for work, and they are fantastic, but they're starting to wear through and the tread got wrecked by the flat concrete floor at my job. I'm contemplating simply purchasing another pair; they're stupidly comfortable for any amount of time, but I haven't tested them all that much in conditions other than air-conditioned warehouse. Does this seem like a horrible idea?

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Ninja Pangolin posted:

Greetings hiking thread,

I'm in the market for some new boots for a trip to MT and CO in July. I bought a pair of these three years ago for work, and they are fantastic, but they're starting to wear through and the tread got wrecked by the flat concrete floor at my job. I'm contemplating simply purchasing another pair; they're stupidly comfortable for any amount of time, but I haven't tested them all that much in conditions other than air-conditioned warehouse. Does this seem like a horrible idea?

Yes, get some breathable lighter summmer hikers that aren't 'work boots'

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

I've had some good experiences using "work boots" while hiking. That is only because my feet and ankles are poo poo and completely flat, so I need a lot of support and structure. They sure are heavy though.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Work boots are always going to be awful to hike it. If you don't have huge medical problems that completely preclude building ankle strength, trailrunning shoes or lightweight hiking boots are awesome and I'd urge anybody to try them over traditional boots (regardless of being called hiking boots or otherwise)
Taller, thicker, heavier boots do very little for ankle support, and eventually you'll get hurt.

I build hiking and mountain bike trails full time/year round and I wear steel toed leather work boots that are 9" tall because they're safe in terms of chainsaws and swinging tools and 10,000 lb rocks, but that's a particularly specific use.
And I still tweak an ankle sometimes.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
Anyone else goin to trail days this year?

I am looking at a Hyperlite Mountain Gear pack as well, can anyone offer an opinion on it? I have heard the material does not deal with abrasion well.

taint toucher
Sep 23, 2004

For those of you who don't follow Coupons and Deals or slickdeals, there is a great sale on Ex-Officio boxer-briefs:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3543954

I just picked up a couple of pairs of the green ones for $30 shipped. Great deal.

wizard sticks
Feb 16, 2005
Has anyone hiked the GR10 through the Pyrenees or the GR11 through Spain? I did the entire Camino de Santiago last year and it was beautiful, but my favourite parts were the first few days leaving St Jean Pied de Port and the tail end of the hike through Galacia, so I think I want to do the GR10. I'm wondering what it's like in terms of hostels/hotels and people - the Camino was filled with people which really started to bug me near the end.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Is there a rule of thumb for how much water to carry (per mile or per hour?)

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

My personal rule is always bring at least 2 liters per day, sometimes 3 if it's supposed to be hot. Doesn't matter if it's a day hike or a multi-day backpack, I make myself drink that minimum amount whether I feel I need it or not. Eating enough calories, however, is a different story for me. I never get enough.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

It's not unusual to require a gallon of water on hot exposed long dayhikes, it really just depends on you and the hike/weather. But if you're planning to be out all day, I'd at least bring 3-4L to be safe (if there's no water source on the trail)

MonkeyNutZ
Dec 26, 2008

"A cave isn't gonna cut it, we're going to have to use Beebo"
When I hike solo I have a tendency to go way, way too fast; last summer I went through 5 liters on a 10 mile hike. If I pace myself properly it's more like 2-3 liters for 10 miles.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
So maybe two liters if its decent weather and you're somewhere like a forest, double that if its hot or you're exposed?

Also, I've been using a Flash 18 for some ~8-10 mile hikes. Part of the stitching tore out recently so I'm going to exchange it. I was thinking of swapping it out for an Osprey Talon 22 for the extra organization.

Opinions on that backpack? Would I be better off with the Flash 18/22 for half the price and just getting sacks to organize things in it?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm new to backpacking but I have two Osprey packs that I love. I have the Osprey Comet which I use daily for work as a laptop + tools bag. The Osprey Talon 22 looks like it's more geared to hiking than day-to-day use like my Comet is. It has the hip belt lots of easily accessible pockets. I'd be shocked if you weren't happy with it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
One other question--which CamelBack/hydration system should I be looking at? I've read a lot of reviews about leakage on the new ones. Is 100 the standard all-around size or would a 70 be okay for day hikes?

A liter of water is roughly 2lbs, correct?

Something like this? http://amzn.com/B002QX3UJ2

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

For day hikes it can be helpful to drink a liter of water before you actually head out.

A liter of water is a kilogram, which is 2.2 pounds.

I like to use a 3 liter/100 oz water bag.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
I find while backpacking that in colder weather I can go as far as 10 miles per liter, while in hot maybe as little as 2-3 per liter. Like BeefofAges said, cameling up prior to leaving a water source helps a lot. Extra water carried to me is not as bad as extra gear. You can always share it, or use it in camp and running out of water can suck hard far faster than forgetting a dinner.

PabloBOOM
Mar 10, 2004
Hunchback of DOOM
I generally backpack with around 2 quarts for around 10 miles, but increase it if it's going to be above 85 F or more distance.

As far as camelbaks leaking go, even if you do get one that leaks or leaks later on, all you have to do to is fill out the warranty form on their website and send it in. It takes a week or two, but I did this with one that was 3 years old and had developed a tiny leak around the opening. Got a brand new current-gen camelbak, which so far I prefer to the old TubeOfWater design of the old ones.

BeefofAges
Jun 5, 2004

As for how much water to carry on a hike, it also depends on water sources along the trail. If there are creeks and streams and such along the way, you can carry less water and refill/treat along the way. However, in the desert, you're unlikely to find water, so you want to carry everything you'll need from the start.

You also don't need to carry all your water in a bag with a tube. You can have extra water in gatorade bottles or something.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

🐵❌💀

Yeah, I usually bring a few 1 liter bottles so I can dissolve tablets in one or two while having a third to drink from. The water where I hike is barely above freezing, so it can take up to two hours for the water to be treated thoroughly.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Went to rei today and got a new rei kitmah rain jacket to replace my older mountain hardware cohesion which needs a re water proofing seemingly every time it gets wet. The interior coating was also starting to peel off. Saw a used extra large duffel in the used section for $15 so it was a good gear day.

As far as water goes I've used blackhawk hydrastorm system for a while which got gross after a few years and started to leak. I went to camelback and liked it until the cap started to leak. Didn't realize they warranty so well ot I would have done that.

I picked up a platypus because of the low price and have loved that decision. I worried about the plastic reservoir material in low temps as its slightly rigid but it was fine while snow hiking/camping and then skiing in vail without being insulated but the bite valve did get pretty choked up with ice since that wasn't insulated either. Since then I got a neoprene tube cover bit not a big deal.

I usually hike out with a full 100oz per day unless its hot and then i will bring a full nalgene too. I always force myself to drink at least 100oz per day while hiking. I bring a colored nalgene for dirty water collection but I think I'm going to get a second reservoir for dirty and use it in a gravity filter system instead.

A good rule to hike by, I would rather have too much water weight versus too much unnecessary gear weight, even if only on a day hike.

Verman fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Apr 28, 2013

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".

Verman posted:

A good rule to hike by, I would rather have too much water weight versus too much unnecessary gear weight, even if only on a day hike.

Yeah, some people fret too much about water weight. Carrying too much water is easily remedied: dump it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

Re: water, I still love my Steripen. I gotta keep the batteries warm when it gets below about 40 or 50, but it's so light and fast, it's worth it.

Speaking of Steripen, their tech support is super nice. I lost a tiny little retaining washer to my battery cap and I got an immediate email response saying they would send me a new one. Got here two days later.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Apr 28, 2013