Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Tunnel Vision is the greatest new JT.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

TheYellowFog posted:

Suit and Tie is the worst Justin Timberlake song

:frogout:

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Tunnel Vision is the greatest new JT.

Yeah it's the poo poo. That whole album owns. Every song is a knockout.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS
The beatport version I have sounds great through NS-10M's so I consider that a success :colbert:

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

TheYellowFog posted:

Suit and Tie is the worst Justin Timberlake song

All the way wrong

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

All the way wrong

JT's part is fine but I don't care much for Jay Z's parts.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Foiltha posted:

The single is out on Spotify as well.

Yesssssssssssssssss.

Repeat forever.

The Walking Dad
Dec 31, 2012
I thought this was a Daft Punk thread.

Yeah, playing this loudly on decent speakers with a lower quality version of it will sound 100 times better than a 320 MP3 or a WAV file on your iphone earbuds.

I really like the hand claps in this, its a small thing, but they have this really wet sound that is pleasing. Its clearly not the same hand clap sample that has become like the Wilhelm Scream of dance music.

Nick Biped
May 22, 2004

In the wrong hands, the stapler is a deadly weapon.

Man, I'm really digging this song. Of course, I like disco music anyways, so I'm sure that helps.

My favourite part is the guitar by Nile Rodgers. Just adds to the whole funky feeling of the track.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zV2GA63HEGk
Live performance of Get Lucky (more like Pharrell performing open mic karaoke literally three times in a row), hopefully will be less underwhelming with the full ensemble.

brandino
Apr 15, 2002

ahahah wow.. that was something.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Here's the true definitive live version of Get Lucky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOlM5CDSoi8

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Now that I'm a few listens in I think that it's kind of a weak house track until the triplets kick into the beat. I gotta find a good set of subwoofers, maybe there's a sweet kick or something that I'm not hearing on my speakers.

It'll be sweet to hear how people decide to mix this in their sets, though.

Popcorn
May 25, 2004

You're both fuckin' banned!

Nuclear Spy posted:

Live performance of Get Lucky (more like Pharrell performing open mic karaoke literally three times in a row), hopefully will be less underwhelming with the full ensemble.

that's shockingly boring and weird.

I wonder what the live stuff will be like for this album, if they perform it at all. Considering the apparent emphasis on live instrumentation and all the collaborators involved, I wonder if they'll try a more traditional live performance model with collaborators hopping on stage when necessary, like the Gorillaz shows.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Right at the start of the vocoder part, it sings the work "again" just once, maybe twice. Is that little bit from one of their other songs? It sounds so familiar.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

W/R/T Pharrell's live performance: while the kareoke thing was awkward I didn't think it was outright terrible, but the best part of 'Get Lucky' is Nile Roger's guitar and the bass line, not the vocals.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Orgophlax posted:

Right at the start of the vocoder part, it sings the work "again" just once, maybe twice. Is that little bit from one of their other songs? It sounds so familiar.

That's "to get", not "again". You know, as in, "We're up all night to get lucky"?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Nuclear Spy posted:

Erm. That was weird.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I, Butthole posted:

Here's the true definitive live version of Get Lucky:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOlM5CDSoi8

Hahaha, I saw this last night. The bass in this sounds like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmnZgBpYG_4

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I find it really strange that Daft Punk would allow their new debut single to be performed live for the first time at a cellphone release party..it's also pretty obvious that Daft Punk isn't going to trust some lame rear end no name DJ to abelton files so they just used an MP3 of the radio edit.

Photex fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Apr 20, 2013

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I just drove home while listening to a leaked 999,999k mp3 edit of Lucky and I'm not even kidding when I say I fell asleep less than a minute into my drive and crashed into a ditch. Stop spending hours listening to this on repeat and go check out Boys Noize or something you dorks.

Seriously though the beat is catchy but nothing special and Pharrell ruins every song he does vocals on.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

little munchkin posted:

Seriously though the beat is catchy but nothing special and Pharrell ruins every song he does vocals on.

I don't remember that problem on best song of all time, Drop it Like It's Hot :colbert:

Sure he's pretty corny here but I wouldn't say he ruins it.

Man Cub
Jan 12, 2004

Come on! I'm the lord and savior! YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO CRUCIFY ME, GOD DAMNIT!

little munchkin posted:

I just drove home while listening to a leaked 999,999k mp3 edit of Lucky and I'm not even kidding when I say I fell asleep less than a minute into my drive and crashed into a ditch. Stop spending hours listening to this on repeat and go check out Boys Noize or something you dorks.

I'm going to just go ahead and say your opinion is obviously wrong. I've listened to, and enjoyed, this song dozens of times in the last couple days. And I've never liked Boys Noize.

So there.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Photex posted:

I find it really strange that Daft Punk would allow their new debut single to be performed live for the first time at a cellphone release party..it's also pretty obvious that Daft Punk isn't going to trust some lame rear end no name DJ to abelton files so they just used an MP3 of the radio edit.

Nothing about it is live really. He's just singing over the top of the song every few lines. You can hear the chorus effect from it.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Philthy posted:

Nothing about it is live really. He's just singing over the top of the song every few lines. You can hear the chorus effect from it.

I know nothing about it live that's why i mentioned the DJ wasn't actually doing anything but scrub an mp3. I am just saying it surprises me that Daft Punk allowed it to be basically showcased like that, it didn't do the song justice at all.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I don't remember that problem on best song of all time, Drop it Like It's Hot :colbert:

Sure he's pretty corny here but I wouldn't say he ruins it.

"Pretty corny" for a band with One More Time. Hell, Discovery is nearly half filled with songs as corny as this. And it works.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

little munchkin posted:

Maybe you should try being less of a wimp and stop driving your car into ditches, then you can tell us your amazing opinions on music.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The recommendation that people listen to the Nitronic Rush soundtrack is not legit, it's basically solid electro house, super modern sounding. Pretty much no disco influence, at least not compared to DP. I like it, but it's not at all similar.

Dr. Roy
Apr 17, 2013

little munchkin posted:

I don't think Pharrell ruins it. He might distract you from the sweet grooves if you let him, but he's not that bad. Panda Bear on the other hand... I'm expecting the worst on that one. The songs he sang on Pantha Du Prince's and Zomby's albums were the worst tracks on either, mostly because of him. He can do Animal Collective music decently, but I do not understand why he feels the need to keep singing on tracks by artists who do better at instrumentals. Not that Daft Punk hasn't hit a lot of vocal tracks out of the park, but I don't see how Daft Punk is going to incorporate Panda Bear-style vocals at all.

Dr. Roy fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Apr 21, 2013

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp
I think this song just sounds really average. It honestly feels like it could have been a Bruno Mars single or something. Which isn't to say it's bad, it's just... eh.

getitoffgetitoff fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 21, 2013

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.
Here is my mashup of the song (im sure nobody has remixed the song yet right?)
https://soundcloud.com/debitmusic/daftpunk-getlucky_mop-anteup

I think M.O.P. would've been better than pharrell
that being said, I can't wait for a proper instrumental of the song so I can do a better edit.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

getitoffgetitoff posted:

I think this song just sounds really average. It honestly feels like it could have been a Bruno Mars single or something. Which isn't to say it's bad, it's just... eh.

I can't stand any Bruno Mars singles and I've listened to this at least 20 or 30 times since it came out a few nights ago v:shobon:v

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
I've only listened to the radio edit once, and am purposefully not listening to it again until the music video drops so it remains fresh to me.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I went out last night, and the DJ played it 3 times (not in a row) . It seemed like a lot of people were singing along already, it was kinda neat to see how popular it is already. Can't wait for the actual album to drop- only a month to go!!

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

somnambulist posted:

I went out last night, and the DJ played it 3 times

I hope nobody paid this DJ.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Zigmidge posted:

I hope nobody paid this DJ.

Ya, how dare a DJ play new dance music by a highly respected dance music group in a dance club.

sonicice
Oct 21, 2000

Michael J Beverage, I've got a bone to pick with you.

Tokit posted:

Here is my mashup of the song (im sure nobody has remixed the song yet right?)
https://soundcloud.com/debitmusic/daftpunk-getlucky_mop-anteup

I think M.O.P. would've been better than pharrell
that being said, I can't wait for a proper instrumental of the song so I can do a better edit.

Are there any vocals that this song doesn't sound good with? Every mashup I've heard so far owns.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

echronorian posted:

Ya, how dare a DJ play new dance music by a highly respected dance music group in a dance club.

3 times

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
Over the span of ~4 hours it's not really that big of a deal, especially if the crowd was responding well to it.

Also this is a stupid derail who cares.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Please stop poo poo posting. This is pointless. It was a small bar by the beach in los angeles with a small dance floor and people loved the song so he played it a few times over the course of hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho
So someone brought up the fact that the super fake clip that's been circulating on YouTube is actually posted on this site which may or may not be Nile Rodgers official site.
http://nilerodgers.com/abo%C2%ADut/pre%C2%ADss/2726-lose-yourself-to%C2%AD-danc%C2%ADe%EF%BB%BF

I'm entirely confused, almost enough to call that site some weird fan site or very loosely connected PR firm. The clip was absolutely never aired on SNL and the actual description of it sounds like some guy just listened to the YouTube video and wrote about it.

This is all coming from the point of view of someone who is absolutely sure it's fake, but it's certainly a confusing turn of events.

EDIT: Nevermind, apparently that's just a scraped news story from another music blog GIGWISE. Whoever runs Nile's site obviously isn't very well connected. Makes sense now.

Wario In Real Life fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 22, 2013

• Locked thread