Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

They had a weird, waxy texture to them that I guess was better at smearing graphite everywhere than...whatever real erasers do.
Yeah, if you used a really old pencil with that kind of bad eraser, it would be like plastic and just not do anything.

There were also the super cheap pencils when the entire eraser would snap off or pop out at first contact. Then you could make a super wicked axe blade out of the metal sleeve for pencil fights :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I remember basically everything was horrible about those Yikes! pencils but I still used them for years.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, if you used a really old pencil with that kind of bad eraser, it would be like plastic and just not do anything.

It would do something: smear the graphite all over the paper until it's a big black blob, and then tear a hole in the paper :argh:

e: just noticed the last post on the last page said basically the same thing, sorry!

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 18:40 on Apr 20, 2013

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

It would do something: smear the graphite all over the paper until it's a big black blob, and then tear a hole in the paper :argh:

God, it's like I'm reliving the 4th grade all over again. I'm pretty sure they stopped manufacturing those pencils in the 70's and they've just been recirculating largely untouched. Like candy corn.

moistninja
Oct 19, 2012
Rich kids had two of these

I enjoyed these "madballs" who went on to have a short, but illustrious, Saturday morning commercial, I mean cartoon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvfYcZ8GAVM

Gummy Bears theme still gets me jamming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM9fRjRPKEo

But I have to vote that Count Duckula had the funkiest/satanic theme songs of its time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1JmmDVt4_U

Hope you enjoy!

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Rickycat posted:

God, it's like I'm reliving the 4th grade all over again. I'm pretty sure they stopped manufacturing those pencils in the 70's and they've just been recirculating largely untouched. Like candy corn.

That would really explain why the metal part always seemed to be dinged or flattened in a way that gave it sharp pointy bits, so that I always had to be careful how I held them.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

moistninja posted:

Rich kids had two of these

I enjoyed these "madballs" who went on to have a short, but illustrious, Saturday morning commercial, I mean cartoon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvfYcZ8GAVM

Gummy Bears theme still gets me jamming
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SM9fRjRPKEo

But I have to vote that Count Duckula had the funkiest/satanic theme songs of its time
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1JmmDVt4_U

Hope you enjoy!

All of those things are from the '80s you loving embryo.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dis posted:

WILD AND CRAZY

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Love this thread, but it's about to get real niche.

If you're a UK goon you'll know the score:

'Cable' - You had a channel box [with red digital numbers, and a GEROME remote control], and some households had 'cracked' the 99 channels (To include movie & sports channels). Then came along digital and ruined it for over one.

Not sure why, but as as kid I was obsessed with TV channel identity changes, or any sort of logo change (food, etc). [must be why I enjoy graphic design!]

I always enjoyed the SKY 1,2 graphics, then they changed it to some lovely font in a rounded rectangle, blah.

The same for the PS1, some people had chipped consoles and had a plethora of chipped games. If memory serves, the games were very problematic!

CRISPS! I love crisps.

Even though these are still sold today, I can't find the old packaging on GIS. These cheap crisps were fantastic. Really tasty and distinctive. I can only imagine that these days there are all 'healthy' ingredients and no mad poo poo colourings. - NOT PICTURED. Transform A Snack - where you make your own car out of rings and bodies!

These are also still sold today, and also probably taste like poo poo. Even though I liked these, I preferred the cheese and chive flavour in the green packet. Unfortunately they stopped selling these as soon as I discovered the green pack. I've never seen a trace of them since, absolutely gutting. I've googled it over the years, but never found a pic/bit of info.

Jesus H, these Postman pat crisps came in prawn cocktail flavour and they were so heavily flavoured it was unreal. It was the definition of 90s crisp for me. Sometimes you'd get a ball of flavouring and it blew your mind [physically!] due to being...so flavoursome.

ASDA food stores

ASDA always had a cow model with a button you'd press to ring out a cow MOOOOOOOO. Aswell as model chickens with their own button. These were removed later on. But apparently after googling for this just now, they've brought it back in some places.

And i'll just leave this here..

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

As I mentioned before, I might as well have been a girl in the 90s because of my obsession with Lisa Frank, Beanie Babies, and the like.

None of the things you posted are specific to the 90s. They had all those pens and stickers and poo poo when I was a kid in the early 80s. The spirograph is from the 60s.

Beanie Babies are 90s as gently caress though. I knew grown adults that bought them as "investments" and seriously expected them to be worth thousands and thousands of dollars. People were nuts over them for awhile, but how were they so blind to the fact that it was nothing but a fad? I worked at McDonald's in the mid-90s, and people would literally order Happy Meals for the beanie baby toy and tell us to keep everything else. This happened ALL THE TIME.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem

kimbo305 posted:

There were also the super cheap pencils when the entire eraser would snap off or pop out at first contact. Then you could make a super wicked axe blade out of the metal sleeve for pencil fights :black101:

Speaking of making weapons out of stuff you use for writing.
We used to take the caps on Bic pens and the blade from a pencil sharpener and melt the blade into the pen cap for small and concealable weapons which we then used to carve up the erasers we got from school and have "wars" with them. Mostly just throwing tiny bits of erasers at other people when the teacher, or they, weren't looking.
We also used them to carve stuff into our wooden desks and make holes in the sides of them.

So the desks around my school were these ones:

The surface was carved with our initials and other stuff hopefully too small to be seen by the janitor or the teachers.
The sides were holes galore. We also used the compasses our parents got us for geometry for that.
And it was everyone, not just the punks and the shitkids. The nerds, the jocks, the what have yous. Everyone.

Other use for pens not of the Bic kind, was emptying them off everything, putting in the blade from a pencil sharpener and smelt it to it for swords, so that we could have fights and protect ourselves from who knows what.
Good times.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

So wait, you essentially made prison weapons to...cut up erasers? Your childhood was a little more hardcore than mine I think.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
Probably. Grew up in a small village outside of Norway's 3rd largest city. A kid came to us in second grade from a more rural bit of that village and told us he knew gang members in the city so he was one influence for it I guess. And all the bad horror movies and TROMA movies our older neighbours had and showed us. And probably Bad Boys.

I remember getting my sex ed from the neighbour girl when I was 4 and she was 6. Good times.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
Rugrats has come up in this thread before (and rightly so), but... how about a recipe for real-life Reptar bars? :haw:

http://www.adventures-in-cooking.com/2010/06/reptar-bars.html

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Zero Star posted:

Rugrats has come up in this thread before (and rightly so), but... how about a recipe for real-life Reptar bars? :haw:

http://www.adventures-in-cooking.com/2010/06/reptar-bars.html

Wash it down with a glass of Ecto-Cooler! (which was in continuous production from 1987 to 2001, so it's campy 90's poo poo too)

http://www.nerdist.com/2011/09/relive-the-80s-by-making-your-own-ecto-cooler/

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

I was born in 86, had hundreds of dollars worth of Ghostbusters poo poo as a child, and have somehow still ended up the only 20-something in America without a giant nostalgia hard-on for Ecto Cooler.

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
Go-Gurt- It's the yoghurt you eat with your hands, not a spoon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-XOhlwdRks

(Holds a tube of yoghurt 2 cm from a dude's eyeballs) LOSE THE SPOON!

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Speaking of gross out cartoons:

And speaking of the stuff 90's cartoons got away with, anyone remember the episode where they were trying to find shoes to go inside of a grocery store?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GRu0f4uEhYA

The shoe, the shoe! Take off your shoe!

VVV I only had to see the title of the episode and I already knew what you were talking about :allears:

Leal has a new favorite as of 22:03 on May 1, 2013

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Leal posted:

And speaking of the stuff 90's cartoons got away with, anyone remember the episode where they were trying to find shoes to go inside of a grocery store?

There's also a scene in this cartoon, where... Well, you'll know it when you see it.

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
Anyone else remember these?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F38WmjxnvMk
A ball that you would put a balloon in and blow up. I remember the commercial than the actual toy, my brother got one and then forgot about it shortly after.

Edit: And whenever we had to go to my Nana's house when my parents went out, this was one of the only videos she had for us to watch:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B59V5Rev4A

The Donut Repair Club. A religious show that had a talking donut named Duncan.

Draven has a new favorite as of 03:14 on May 2, 2013

Abalone Malone
Jul 26, 2002

one of the members Kriss Kross died
http://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/music/kriss-kross-rapper-kelly-dead-at-34-20130502-2iunh.html

bugger

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Smelly posted:

The Donut Repair Club. A religious show that had a talking donut named Duncan.

I never got to see awesomely bad religious stuff like this and I spent half my childhood in Texas. :argh:

I love how Pedostache Preacher's idea of taking care of the farm chores---which is kind of urgent, given the farmer just broke his leg and his wife has to drive to the city to see a doctor---is to just dance and sing about how God is the ultimate farmer. Also, why the gently caress does he have a pearl necklace and why does he casually throw it around? And why does he hate pigs so much? And why don't any of them realize a talking donut with googly eyes is obviously an abomination sent from the fell beastlord himself?

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

EDIT:

Dotcom Jillionaire has a new favorite as of 08:32 on May 3, 2013

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqu132vTl5Y

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Hey, it's the game that came with my Macintosh Performa. Man does that take me back.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion

Sizone posted:

Hey, it's the game that came with my Macintosh Performa. Man does that take me back.

No fair I paid like $50 for that game way back when. Best part about Spectre was their attempt at adding plot and cutscenes to what is otherwise known as Battletanks. poo poo was mind blowing back in the day though.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

"They're power briefs!"

You know, I don't believe there ever was a Doug's 2nd Movie, was there?

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

I may or may not have started a Facebook page titled Tearaways: Due for a comeback, as they are one of my strongest 90s fashion memories. :3:

Also this thread has been the best nostalgia ride... pretty sure I could quote entire Rugrats episodes verbatim.

E: I also can't be the only one who hated Daria...

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Daria was a great show, though?

Rahonavis
Jan 11, 2012

"Clevuh gurrrl..."

Last Chance posted:

Daria was a great show, though?

Indeed. Want to know one of the reasons why I like it? Off the top of my head, and having not watched it in a while, I can think of at least eight well-defined, interesting main characters who just happen to be women. That's depressingly rare for an animated series.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I only watched Daria for Sick Sad World

Draven
May 6, 2005

friendship is magic
You're in luck then. Someone uploaded all of Sick Sad World to youtube. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2uQT_WK4Ho

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

X-Men, welcome to DIE!!

Do it!

The day this game became available on PSN was one of the greatest days of my adult life.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

No thanks, I'll have a Zima.

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

This is another Spirograph-like thing that was actually from the 60s but enjoyed a brief revival in the 90s. My grandparents gave us a bunch of cool old toys they found in their basement so when I was growing up I had this version:

My friend's little brother swallowed one of the metal balls. :haw:

EDIT: can't leave out the 90s-as gently caress commercial, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCwn1NTK-50

Daria is great and it sucks that none of the original music is available on the DVDs and stuff. Almost as lame as Beavis and Butt-head having all the music videos removed.

Skeleton Ape has a new favorite as of 16:43 on May 3, 2013

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Metal Loaf posted:

You know, I don't believe there ever was a Doug's 2nd Movie, was there?

I think Rugrats was one of the few if not the only 90s (children's) cartoons to survive past its movie. And for the worse, as I recall.

Though part of the reason for that is several of the movies came out at the tail end of the shows' lifespans. Pretty sure both the Doug and Hey Arnold! movies came out way after the shows were basically done. Cat-Dog's was TV-only and was basically a series endcap.

I don't recall any others offhand (aside from stuff like the two Daria TV movies).

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
Daria's only weakness is that the best episode (Boxing Daria) is the very last episode.

burial
Sep 13, 2002

actually, that won't be necessary.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Daria's only weakness is that the best episode (Boxing Daria) is the very last episode.

I completely agree. I always felt cheated by it in the sense that it opened some things up that we were obviously never going to get to explore. Goddamn. I didn't even realise I was still annoyed about that until you reminded me. Well done?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

I think Rugrats was one of the few if not the only 90s (children's) cartoons to survive past its movie. And for the worse, as I recall.

Though part of the reason for that is several of the movies came out at the tail end of the shows' lifespans. Pretty sure both the Doug and Hey Arnold! movies came out way after the shows were basically done. Cat-Dog's was TV-only and was basically a series endcap.

I don't recall any others offhand (aside from stuff like the two Daria TV movies).

Pokemon not only went on to have like 20 more films released after the first one, but is still on TV to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Pokemon not only went on to have like 20 more films released after the first one, but is still on TV to this day.
Every time a new season comes out I like to watch an episode of it. Goddamn Ash is still like... 13 and he's even more retarded than before. You know, like how the Simpsons characters have regressed.

• Locked thread