Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Scyther posted:

As much as I like Galaxy Trucker I feel it suffers some as a two player game. If you don't have the expansion rules for removing a number of components before the building phase, everything is too abundant, and as soon as you have a basic grasp of the game it becomes way too easy to build a ship. Time pressure becomes much less of an issue, because at worst you'll start in second place, which matters very little when you get a full extra flip of the hourglass to leisurely finish your ship compared to the player who rushed his shipbuilding trying to push the timer forward and grab the first place marker.
Just print out and use the Rough Road cards, problem solved :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trynant
Oct 7, 2010

The final spice...your tears <3
By the way folks, I love Archipelago and all, but I kind of have to share this card with everyone so they know just how the subject matter is mistreated.

Prairie Bus
Sep 22, 2006

modig posted:

I finished a short game in less than one hour, but closer to two is more likley. It plays ok with two, but most of the negotiation is meaningless with two, and its easy to never have units in the same place.

Thanks, that helps my decision. Unfortunately, this

Trynant posted:

By the way folks, I love Archipelago and all, but I kind of have to share this card with everyone so they know just how the subject matter is mistreated.

makes me think twice.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

Trynant posted:

How should slavery be treated?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

XyrlocShammypants posted:

Like that, but with a footnote exhorting the player to feel bad about themselves.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.

The white slave to black slave ratio for starters.

I don't know the significance of those 'native heads' in the corner either but they are are bit cartoonishly "savage natives".

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

If a game is trying to recreate a period of history should it strive to be accurate? I mean these things did happen even if they are horrific. Bit of a can of worms I guess.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

dishwasherlove posted:

If a game is trying to recreate a period of history should it strive to be accurate? I mean these things did happen even if they are horrific. Bit of a can of worms I guess.

Archipelago expressly does not try to be accurate.

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Ah ok I haven't played it. Just musing.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

JoshTheStampede posted:

Archipelago expressly does not try to be accurate.

I can't assume you disagree with the use of the concept in the game, but I am just using your post as a starting point for my thoughts. It's obviously fiction, but slavery and other horrible things are found in any number of science fiction/fantasy books/films and other media. In the Game of Thrones universe, it doesn't seem unreasonable that there would be slavery or rape. In a game about the colonial era, it shouldn't surprise anyone that slavery was something fairly common. As long as there isn't an apparent endorsement of the 'bad thing' in question I don't think it's really an issue.

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
There's always going to be tension when you try to use history as a setting, at least for broad strokes. It's kinda like when you see WW2 as setting for a movie or game, and the Nazis are treated as cartoonishly evil or fetishised - how much can you dance within the margins without being historically insensitive. Sid Meier's Colonisation back in the 90's was heavily criticised for not properly acknowledging African slavery by including 'Indentured servants' but not slaves, despite being a somewhat ahistorical game by the end of proceedings.

Context is everything, really. If Archipelago is simply a game set in a generic 'age of sail/colonialism', it can probably get away with it, but the moment it starts tying into real history (even just with using historical nations/figures/time) it could drift into historical whitewashing with it's 'white slavery' card.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

I can't assume you disagree with the use of the concept in the game, but I am just using your post as a starting point for my thoughts. It's obviously fiction, but slavery and other horrible things are found in any number of science fiction/fantasy books/films and other media. In the Game of Thrones universe, it doesn't seem unreasonable that there would be slavery or rape. In a game about the colonial era, it shouldn't surprise anyone that slavery was something fairly common. As long as there isn't an apparent endorsement of the 'bad thing' in question I don't think it's really an issue.

I don't personally have an issue with the game, or how it presents things, but I can recognize that use of historical settings in games runs the risk of either trivializing or glossing over the atrocities of the period, or including them in the name of total accuracy and making people uncomfortable.

You might notice that there are no games wherein you play Germany during World War 2 and play cards depicting the Final Solution or concentration camps. That's intentional because thinking about those things makes people uncomfortable and is not conducive to fun gaming. There's still plenty of WW2 games though, and you can play Germany in many of them. So maybe it would have been a better idea to just not really mention slavery in Archipelago and leave all the morally repugnant stuff about colonialism in the background.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Yeah I don't think horrific real events should necessarily be ignored in the context of games with a historical setting, but it's the idea of Slavery being reduced to some one-off event card that makes it seem like really poor taste. I haven't played the game, though.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

goferchan posted:

Yeah I don't think horrific real events should necessarily be ignored in the context of games with a historical setting, but it's the idea of Slavery being reduced to some one-off event card that makes it seem like really poor taste. I haven't played the game, though.

Yeah this also. Slavery was a Big Deal, so if you are going to include it in your game, it should be given appropriate weight, not simply be an event card with roughly as much impact as Commercial Fishing or a shortage of pineapples.

Even so, if you were to make a game ABOUT slavery, it would be depressing for a lot of people, and a lot of people wouldn't want to play it because that's not how they want to spend their gaming time.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

If you are playing Castle Panic completely co-op with adults you need to try against a human opponent controlling monsters. Makes the game much more compelling.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
the shutup review address the theme before they even discuss the game and its worthwhile pointing out, it's not just the presence slavery as a card but there is a total glossing over of colonialism in general and some really iffy decisions like the caricature savage native art and white meeple for population/black meeple for native unrest track it all adds up to being a bit offputting. not saying its a reason not to play it but its absolutely worth being aware of

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Why yes, in this hidden traitor game if you all listen to what one person says and do whatever they tell you to do and that person is a traitor, you will lose. That's not "unbalanced", that's the core premise of the game, and it's excellent motivation not to just blindly follow one leader.
Yeah I know. I guess the real problem was most of my group was waaaay too passive/quiet/introverted and just enabled her. You're meant to fight for your innocence in this game, drat it!

PerniciousKnid posted:

This shouldn't happen more than once unless the players are either morons or not interested in the game. Unfortunately, The Resistance really falls apart in either case.
True.

SatelliteCore posted:

Were you playing with the assassin? Eventually that poo poo will work itself out if people pay attention. When the loudmouth wins as a spy make sure people remember that constantly.
Yeah this eventually happened. 'Merlin' made the game so much better for everyone.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

goferchan posted:

Endeavor does the same thing in the same period. I'm a slave descendant and I have no issue with it. On the other hand in Spartacus you buy slaves. That I won't play although I'm not offended by Spartacus because people did buy slaves during that period. It's just distasteful to me. Same issue I have with Dungeon Petz. Good game, I'm not offended but starving/suffering pets is just not a theme I want to deal with.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Ayn Randi posted:

the shutup review address the theme before they even discuss the game and its worthwhile pointing out, it's not just the presence slavery as a card but there is a total glossing over of colonialism in general and some really iffy decisions like the caricature savage native art and white meeple for population/black meeple for native unrest track it all adds up to being a bit offputting. not saying its a reason not to play it but its absolutely worth being aware of

The creator of the game said that the coloring of meeples was based on some other design ascetic than white or black race, but of course people make their own interpretations. Of course, the guy does have a weird candyland view of game making, where he wanted to point out that bad things happened without really addressing them in a deep, meaningful way. It's very clear from his interviews that the negative aspects (nearly every aspect) of colonialism and slavery deeply offends him and he likely wanted to at least mention it as part of the theme, but not approach it so much as to make it the focus of the game.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

Next up: complaining about the brown workers in Puerto Rico.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Played a few games of Founding Fathers last night. It's a decent, relatively fast-playing game with a lot going on under the hood. You're fighting political battles on three fronts, there are multiple viable ways to score points, it's really heavy on confrontation, and it's actually strongly tied to the theme. I admit that it's a good game, a great game even, but it just doesn't grab me like other games and I can't really explain why. The graphic design of the cards is also very, very poor. The colors are dark and muddy and the graphic designer decided that black text on dark backgrounds was a good idea. One player suggested that they wanted you to look at the flags and colors on the cards but if you're sitting just a few feet away you can't tell the cards for poo poo. It would not have hurt the game to make the loving text white.

I also think it's a good game for younger gamers. It's educational, with a ton of flavor text on the cards, and it's relatively simple to play.

Lorini posted:

Same issue I have with Dungeon Petz. Good game, I'm not offended but starving/suffering pets is just not a theme I want to deal with.

I actually did have a player who gasped when I said "New round, this level 3 pet is sent to a happy farm and 1 extra meat is produced in the meat stall." I followed up with "There's no thematic reason for this rule!" and he looked me dead in the eye and whispered "Bullshit."

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
Does that seriously offend people? I'm amazed at how oversensitive people can be over some of this stuff.

Regardless, I got Sentinels and now I'm wishing I had bought the oversized villain cards. I thought they came with the game but apparently not. They really make it so much easier for everyone to see the text as opposed to the small villain cards.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Honest Ray posted:

Does that seriously offend people? I'm amazed at how oversensitive people can be over some of this stuff.

Regardless, I got Sentinels and now I'm wishing I had bought the oversized villain cards. I thought they came with the game but apparently not. They really make it so much easier for everyone to see the text as opposed to the small villain cards.

Are you talking about the Petz thing? There's no accounting for someone else's personal experience. When I described the rules for Petz I said, in explanation of the disease card, "It's possible for your pet to fester and die in a poo poo ridden cage." I wouldn't have described it like that if my group wasn't a bunch of sailor-mouthed hairy nerds but clearly someone was bothered at the thought of a game chopping up fantasy creatures into sacks of meat. I also played a game of Agricola were someone got audibly upset when I killed my pet sheep. She wasn't offended or anything but it was a shocked "Oh my god, how could you?!"

Sorry lady, my peeps are hungry.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I specifically said it didn't offend me. In other words I'm not upset with Vlaada or wonder 'how could anyone play this game' or anything like that. I just happen to love my own pets and there's a zillion other games I could play. It's not a big deal.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

This whole conversation reminded me of this comic:

echoMateria
Aug 29, 2012

Fruitbat Factory

Honest Ray posted:

I got Sentinels and now I'm wishing I had bought the oversized villain cards. I thought they came with the game but apparently not. They really make it so much easier for everyone to see the text as opposed to the small villain cards.
That would just make the main villain card's texts a little bigger, while the rest of his deck staying smaller it won't help you on that front much, I think. We just set the player sitting closest to the villain and environment decks as the person responsible for them. He flips the cards, reads them aloud and such. No need for everyone around the table to see the texts on the villain cards all the time. I heard those oversized villain cards pile up on the box and bend the dividers when the lid is closed tight, like when you put another box on top of the Sentinels box, not something I'd want.

echoMateria fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Apr 21, 2013

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Why is the boy in a thong?...

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

djfooboo posted:

Why is the boy in a thong?...
Because it's meant to be in the future when fashion has changed?

Pascallion
Sep 15, 2003
Man, what the fuck, man?
Question:
What's the verdict on Resistance vs Resistance: Avalon?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Pascallion posted:

Question:
What's the verdict on Resistance vs Resistance: Avalon?
Avalon is better, having Merlin plus all of the other role cards makes things a lot more interesting for both teams and now you're not at the luck of the action cards in regular Resistance.

Hell they're both pretty cheap so get 'em both.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

real_scud posted:

Avalon is better, having Merlin plus all of the other role cards makes things a lot more interesting for both teams and now you're not at the luck of the action cards in regular Resistance.

Hell they're both pretty cheap so get 'em both.

The plot cards suck, don't use them. The core game of the Resistance is still my favorite because it's easy as gently caress for new players to come into and get into, particularly if those people aren't new players. Having someone who doesn't play games get a role like Merlin will ruin a game easily. poo poo I've still had people gently caress up and go on a mission with spies where neither voted to fail because they weren't sure what they were supposed to do, on the last mission of the game!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

PaybackJack posted:

The plot cards suck, don't use them. The core game of the Resistance is still my favorite because it's easy as gently caress for new players to come into and get into, particularly if those people aren't new players. Having someone who doesn't play games get a role like Merlin will ruin a game easily. poo poo I've still had people gently caress up and go on a mission with spies where neither voted to fail because they weren't sure what they were supposed to do, on the last mission of the game!

You can play "core" Resistance with Avalon though, right?

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Tekopo posted:

This whole conversation reminded me of this comic:

You now have to start saying Dungeon Animal Slavez. :colbert:

(BTW, where's that comic from?)

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Pierzak posted:

You now have to start saying Dungeon Animal Slavez. :colbert:

(BTW, where's that comic from?)
http://www.thepaincomics.com/

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

Why is pitch car so goddamn expensive?

Also I'm going to have 5 for catacombs (maybe) and cosmic encounter on Wednesday, I'm psyched. Any first time play tips for cosmic encounter?

Edit: I also got DOOM yesterday for $48 at a local game convention. I thought it was a good buy. The game was open but nothing was punched.

SatelliteCore fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 21, 2013

Ledhed
Feb 13, 2006
Doesn't believe in the letter a

SatelliteCore posted:

Why is pitch car so goddamn expensive?

Also I'm going to have 5 for catacombs (maybe) and cosmic encounter on Wednesday, I'm psyched. Any first time play tips for cosmic encounter?

Edit: I also got DOOM yesterday for $48 at a local game convention. I thought it was a good buy. The game was open but nothing was punched.

For Cosmic, make sure people don't just invite the whole table into alliances. Be picky about when and who you ally with, if at all.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ledhed posted:

For Cosmic, make sure people don't just invite the whole table into alliances. Be picky about when and who you ally with, if at all.

Agreed, I see this happening with newbie groups every time. Everyone invites everyone, everyone joins the offense, everyone except the defense gets a colony ever encounter, the game ends in three or four turns, the winners are those that destiny never targeted to be the defense, and nobody has fun.

The key point to remember is that you want to not only get colonies but also get colonies before everyone else does. So if you invite the whole table to join your attack and win, then sure, you got a colony... but so did everybody else, so you didn't actually pull ahead of the competition on your turn.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Sure, if you can get a colony without sharing that's great.. but you should expect to share often. Honestly, the first few points are meaningless mostly - if you're behind in getting to three, that just means you'll be welcome in every attack and soon enough the game will be tied again.

After three colonies are out for everyone, it's down to a surprise trick, lucky encounter draw, or "everyone is out of ways to boost the defender". Or sometimes you just get to watch someone march to 5 because their power outclasses everyone else's.

Cosmic Encounter is a goofy, see-what-happens game that occasionally has some weird, interesting situation pop up. I'd like it more if it was much shorter - perhaps it should be played to two, like Epic Spell Duellorz. There are some who take it seriously, but when played seriously the mechanics of the game are completely subsumed by politics and luck.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

jmzero posted:

Sure, if you can get a colony without sharing that's great.. but you should expect to share often.
Share? Often. Share with the entire table? Extremely rarely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Crackbone posted:

You can play "core" Resistance with Avalon though, right?

Yes, you just leave out all the roles including Merlin and Assassin, though maybe not with the full 10 people, I'm not sure how many vanilla cards it comes with.

• Locked thread