Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Redfont posted:

P.S. I too was recently in BMT so if anyone wants to know what the Air Force does to make you miserable I can field some of that.

How exactly does doing ones laundry work during BMT? Also are there any similarities between Oz and the USAF?

ethanol posted:

I'm not sure there's much upward mobility in terms of career or pay.

Supposedly they can make a fair bit of coin but I'm more interested in something that could translate well to a federal law enforcement job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Redfont
Feb 9, 2010

Little Mac(kerel)
you do it yourself because the laundry detail gets you out of countless hours of trivial tasks.

also I don't know if Oz is a thing or if I am responding to a joke right now

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Sasgrillo posted:

How exactly does doing ones laundry work during BMT? Also are there any similarities between Oz and the USAF?

Supposedly they can make a fair bit of coin but I'm more interested in something that could translate well to a federal law enforcement job.

Go security forces, won't steer you wrong (NOTE: Anecdotal evidence coming a friend that is in the reserves or w/e you call it for the AF. I'll ask him how he became a cop.)

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school

Dinosaur Gum

Sasgrillo posted:

Is there a wait time between basic and tech school in the Air Force and if there is what do you do? Also it was gently suggested to me by two army friends that I should try going for aircraft loadmaster when I enlist. Supposedly it's one of the best jobs in the Air Force yet it's chronically undermanned - so what exactly is the catch?

There's no wait time between basic and tech school. Sunday is your last day of basic where you say goodbye to mommy and daddy and uncle Doright and cousin Slick and whoever else is in your family. You pack your poo poo up, then wake up Monday and hop on a plane or a bus and you'll be at your tech school base the same day.

Couldn't tell you about loadmaster since there aren't any at this base. Not sure what you're looking for in a job but if you like stacking poo poo in planes all day then it's probably great.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Pandasmores posted:

Go security forces, won't steer you wrong (NOTE: Anecdotal evidence coming a friend that is in the reserves or w/e you call it for the AF. I'll ask him how he became a cop.)

Hahahahaha, woah, no, don't go security forces. It's like the AF equivalent of grunts and full of all the people who didn't qualify for anything else.

There's some federal law enforcement arm of the air force but I can't remember what it's called, like the AF version of CID, or NCIS.

TheOtherGypsy
Apr 6, 2004

not caring here posted:

Hahahahaha, woah, no, don't go security forces. It's like the AF equivalent of grunts and full of all the people who didn't qualify for anything else.

There's some federal law enforcement arm of the air force but I can't remember what it's called, like the AF version of CID, or NCIS.

OSI.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
And you can't enlist as OSI, you have to have a few years in doing something else first, then you get to apply.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Real men join Sphinx.

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...
<sphinx!>

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

not caring here posted:

That explains why my friend in the security forces has a chip on his shoulder.

terrez
Mar 20, 2012
It's fun being at MEPS and talking to all the Air Force recruits shipping out. Half of them are Security Forces and a good portion of them specifically asked for that job. The best was a guy that was all "yea man I'm totally going to be on the sniper team and embed with seals :smug:"

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

terrez posted:

It's fun being at MEPS and talking to all the Air Force recruits shipping out. Half of them are Security Forces and a good portion of them specifically asked for that job. The best was a guy that was all "yea man I'm totally going to be on the sniper team and embed with seals :smug:"

:laffo: oh that's so awful and sad.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

terrez posted:

Aren't they just fuckin MPs?

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Yes but they get all butt hurt if you call them MPs.

Actually, from what (little) I've seen of them, they are more like security guards. Security guards that happen to be able to write parking tickets.

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I'm considering who to pick for my five letters of recommendations for my application to USAF OTS, and just had an off the wall idea. I played World of Warcraft for 6 years, until about a year ago, and normally I would never mention such a thing at any kind of job interview/application. The only reason I'm even humoring it is because I was a guild/raid leader of a single guild that lasted that entire span, managing the tactics and drama of 30-50 people. Even though I don't play anymore, I'm still good friends with several people from that time, including my successor who himself is a Army Captain, who would definitely write a glowing recommendation that demonstrated leadership of a large group.

That said, I'm still loathe to consider it because of the video game aspect. I don't need this recommendation, I have plenty of other, more conventional, ones. If I don't use it for a LOR should it ever be mentioned at all, like as leadership experience? I'm still leaning pretty heavily toward "no".

edit: V Like I said, crazy idea that just came to me, probably not a good one. Thanks for the quick and succinct replies.

Xenoborg fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 21, 2013

terrez
Mar 20, 2012

Xenoborg posted:

I'm considering who to pick for my five letters of recommendations for my application to USAF OTS, and just had an off the wall idea. I played World of Warcraft for 6 years, until about a year ago, and normally I would never mention such a thing at any kind of job interview/application. The only reason I'm even humoring it is because I was a guild/raid leader of a single guild that lasted that entire span, managing the tactics and drama of 30-50 people. Even though I don't play anymore, I'm still good friends with several people from that time, including my successor who himself is a Army Captain, who would definitely write a glowing recommendation that demonstrated leadership of a large group.

That said, I'm still loathe to consider it because of the video game aspect. I don't need this recommendation, I have plenty of other, more conventional, ones. If I don't use it for a LOR should it ever be mentioned at all, like as leadership experience? I'm still leaning pretty heavily toward "no".

Yes please do it

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Xenoborg posted:

Under absolutely positively no circumstances should you use video games for anything, ever.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Get him to write it anyway. You don't have to use it if it comes off too goony. Remember, guys, until recent budget cuts the Air Force actually used a loving Starcraft mod in officer PME.

Edit: it was more fun than Starcraft 2

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

terrez posted:

Hahaha, sounds like my friend that joined as security forces because "I'm going to get into PJs as soon as I get through BMT, all I have to do is submit a package and I'm in." No matter what I told him, he just said that I didn't know, I only had family join the Army and Marines before I went Navy.

He's up for his fourth deployment this year I hear, still security forces. I always just tell him "See you in 4 months bro!"

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

terrez posted:

Yes please do it

I'd like to see this too. Please report back to us on how well this letter of recommendation is received.

zombieswithblenders
Nov 21, 2008

sants posted:

a little late but i've literally never heard of a USAF person who did not regret picking 6 years instead of 4.

4 year enlistee:
you get to apply for retraining a year earlier
you get to apply for base of preference 2 years earlier if you want to stay in
you get a reenlistment bonus 2 years earlier if you reenlist (and your afsc has reenlistment bonuses)
you get to laugh as you get out / pcs earlier than people who were there over a year before you

6 year enlistee:
you get 2 stripes, and a negligible pay increase
you make e-4 6 months earlier than someone who came in with no stripes - this can let you test for staff earlier or have absolutely no effect, depends on date of enlistment
you'll probably never be the lowest ranking in a unit

if you have stripes already coming in (college education or boy scout or whatever) then there is NO reason at all to EVER pick 6. if you have no stripes coming in then there are VERY FEW reasons to pick 6, and you really shouldn't.

Duly noted, thanks again. Further convinced me that 4 is really what I should go with.

OMFG PTSD LOL PBUH
Sep 9, 2001

Xenoborg posted:

edit: V Like I said, crazy idea that just came to me, probably not a good one. Thanks for the quick and succinct replies.

Okay, they're being a little aggressive with their judgement because these sorts of things aren't usually well articulated and contextualized on Resume's and during interviews. But I've seen a lot of this stuff come up for kids applying for ROTC scholarships, and ironically a lot with USAF Engineering/Scientist officer applications screeners. You're already on the right track with emphasizing the managerial/organizational skills you developed, and de-emphasizing that it was in a game.. But really it's all in how you write it up.

I don't have plat anymore to do PM's but you can email me at shimazu42069@gmail.com or just post in here, but I'd be glad to look at how you want to write it up on your CV, and provide feedback and editorial suggestions.. anything I can do to help a guy out. Lemme know man.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Do we have any coast guard dudes? Seems like not a bad choice of branch. I like the whole federal law enforcement part of it. Looks like a bitch to get into.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 21, 2013

EAB
Jan 18, 2011
I went to welding school, and have been having trouble getting a welding job because of lack of experience or even just getting into a shop as an apprentice or on the field as a helper.

If I got a really good ASVAB score, could I choose to become like a hull technician or get some other welding/fabrication job in the navy? Or is it going to be all luck?

I'd honestly hate to commit for 4 years and not get a position welding/fabricating.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

EAB posted:

I went to welding school, and have been having trouble getting a welding job because of lack of experience or even just getting into a shop as an apprentice or on the field as a helper.

If I got a really good ASVAB score, could I choose to become like a hull technician or get some other welding/fabrication job in the navy? Or is it going to be all luck?

I'd honestly hate to commit for 4 years and not get a position welding/fabricating.

From what I hear, most hull techs just manage the sewage on the ship.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

EAB posted:

You could try air force, I met a dude who did some welding and poo poo on aircraft. That's about all I know on the subject though.

EAB
Jan 18, 2011

Pandasmores posted:

From what I hear, most hull techs just manage the sewage on the ship.

I was told sewage was an "additonal duty" but not what you are primarily doing, but who knows, I wouldnt be surprised if thats what they made you do 18 hours a day.

But that's cool, I'll do it if it means I can put 4 years of welding/fabrication on my resume

its better than my situation right now, which is homeless in north dakota

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

not caring here posted:

You could try air force, I met a dude who did some welding and poo poo on aircraft. That's about all I know on the subject though.

Most of that is privatized.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
/\ Most but not all...there are still GIs doing metals tech, depends on the base though because while some bases still have a predominantly blue suiter metals tech shop a lot of others are pretty much all govt civil service or contracted out. /\

not caring here posted:

2A7X1, Metals Tech. No idea what your chances of being able to ship with this AFSC are (i.e., you may have to wait a while) because while there are still definitely blue-suiter GIs in the specialty, the metals tech shop at a lot of bases is shifting to be a lot more govt civil service GS/WG/etc type dudes, not military.

However it is pretty close to what you are looking for, EAB, because pretty much all that AFSC does is welding/fabricating/using CNC machines. There is a separate AFSC that does most of the work that is directly on the aircraft, so it's rare to nonexistent for metals tech to be working on the flightline or really anywhere other than their shop...which is part of the reason why a lot of bases are shifting to govt civil service dudes.

Still, can't hurt to go to a recruiter and ask to see if it's possible, since even if through some weirdness you wind up in the career field and somehow don't get to do welding/fabricating/etc, I can 100% guarantee you that it will still be better than dealing with sewage on a boat.

\/ Might want to look into that a little more, pretty sure the cut off is that you have to be at BMT before your 28th birthday. \/

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 21, 2013

EAB
Jan 18, 2011

not caring here posted:

I'm 26, too old to join air force.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

EAB posted:

I'm 26, too old to join air force.

Last I heard the cutoff was 27.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

EAB posted:

I was told sewage was an "additonal duty" but not what you are primarily doing, but who knows, I wouldnt be surprised if thats what they made you do 18 hours a day.

But that's cool, I'll do it if it means I can put 4 years of welding/fabrication on my resume

its better than my situation right now, which is homeless in north dakota

From Facebook chat with my buddy:

HT's job is pretty dependent on what class of ship they are on.You can be a welder/pipefitter, run plumbing systems, or do engraving and repair division (flood/firefighting).

Right now he's a part of a hovercraft crew or something, so he does different poo poo (also he's a reservist).

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
HTs do take care of the shitters. However, they also do all of the welding and most of the fabrication on surface ships (except nuke welding on carriers). The general thing that most HTs said was "If you can't weld, you're fixing toilets."

The general rule of thumb is go into a job expecting to do nothing but the lovely stuff the majority of the time and the stuff you want maybe 5% of the time. If you're fine with just doing damage control (like training/actual fire/flooding casualty response, etc), fixing toilets, and occasionally welding then HT is the job for you. If you want to weld primarily, you're not going to be happy except maybe 5% of the time, if even.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Question regarding clearances, how much does student loans hurt you in obtaining a clearance? I have roughly $100k, and none of it is delinquent. No criminal background, and I did obtain my degree. My credit score is in the mid 700's. Would that amount of student loan debt hurt me?

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

No. They're looking for irresponsible debt, or stuff you're so far behind on that you might consider taking bribes, that sort of thing. It's not just "debt=bad." If that money was on credit cards, for example, and you were six months behind.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Godholio posted:

No. They're looking for irresponsible debt, or stuff you're so far behind on that you might consider taking bribes, that sort of thing. It's not just "debt=bad." If that money was on credit cards, for example, and you were six months behind.

Okay, to follow up. Is brief marijuana use going to exclude me as well? Was 4 years ago, while in college. As I said, no arrests, no criminal at all, in fact the last traffic violation I had just went off my record after 5 years(out of state speeding). I'd like to be forthcoming about it as it coming up later I assume is bad news.

What happens if the they deny me for the marijuana use in college, and I've already signed a contract for a cryptological technician for the Navy? Do they assign me another job and I have to serve out my contract possibly scrubbing ships, or do they release me from my contract?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Zotix posted:

Okay, to follow up. Is brief marijuana use going to exclude me as well? Was 4 years ago, while in college. As I said, no arrests, no criminal at all, in fact the last traffic violation I had just went off my record after 5 years(out of state speeding). I'd like to be forthcoming about it as it coming up later I assume is bad news.

What happens if the they deny me for the marijuana use in college, and I've already signed a contract for a cryptological technician for the Navy? Do they assign me another job and I have to serve out my contract possibly scrubbing ships, or do they release me from my contract?

Be honest about it in my opinion unless you've got one hell of a poker face (I don't), if you pass a drug test and all your future random drug tests, your brief use will be mitigated by your credibility and the significant time that has passed. If you lie about it and they catch you, you will be in much deeper, possibly unknown, trouble. If you fail a drug test from this point forward, you will never get a clearance. Be aware that your recruiter is not going to accept 'brief use' as an answer. You need to tell them exactly how many times you smoked, and here's the part where you might consider stretching the truth a bit if you smoked a ton, because you do not want to indicate a dependency. Careful. I'm planning on going up against this myself in a few months and I've done a lot of research on it. The SF-86 scares the poo poo out of me.

More goon info that I found useful posted a few pages back:

iyaayas01 posted:

Just to be clear there are two completely different things here, involving two completely different processes, and two completely different groups of people: the waiver to join due to admitting drug use in your past, and the security clearance process where they will ask on the SF-86 if you have used illicit narcotics.

If you lie on the first one, the chances of anyone finding out are slim to none as long as you don't pop hot and as long as there isn't anything in your record. If you are just going for a secret the chances of anyone finding out if you lie are also pretty slim (again, as long as there isn't anything in your record), but not quite as low as on the waiver. If you are going through a SSBI for a TS (which you will be for intel), the chances of them finding out if you lie aren't guaranteed, but they are pretty good. And one other thing...the processes are different and involve different groups of people, but they will more than likely look at your enlistment paperwork when going through your security clearance poo poo (I guess they probably won't for a secret since that investigation is a pretty big joke but I can guarantee they will if they're doing a SSBI on you). So if you are going for a job that requires a TS (or if you get investigated for a TS a few years down the road after joining, or whatever) and you lie on your enlistment stuff, you are basically locked into that lie.

As I said before, when they are investigating you for a clearance, the biggest thing they are concerned with is discrepancies and dishonesty. Getting caught being dishonest, even about a relatively trivial thing, is basically a guaranteed way to get denied a clearance. Here's a site that is probably worth your time to peruse if you are seriously considering pursuing a job that requires a TS. It's not a perfect one for one match since every situation is unique and those are industrial security adjudication decisions, not mil, but click on 2012 or 2013, do a ctrl+f for "drugs", and do some reading.

In my opinion, times have changed, and the SF-86/rules are completely outdated and need to change, because way more young people have smoked than those who haven't. It also doesn't account for marijuana being legalized in several states. At least that's my interpretation of the country. It doesn't mean we are possible traitors, especially since it was really just experimentation in college and I knew I wasn't going to keep doing it afterwards, especially in any habitual manner. (I didn't)

ethanol fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Apr 22, 2013

nullandvoid
Mar 7, 2006

Look, the Mona Lisa's not a better painting, it's merely a more famous one, and it was made more famous because it was stolen. And this was stolen, so...
Be completely honest about it. Like ethanol said, if it was just that once and there's no future infractions, there's no cause for anyone to have that event remembered, and you're a clean agent from this point on, I wouldn't be concerned in the least.

Debt, however, will gently caress your poo poo up.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

Zotix posted:

This is the scale for things that will block you from getting a clearance:
+Way over your head in debt
+Previously in a gang/member of a hate group
+Family members are foreign nationals
+Smoke weed everyday
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
+Has loans
|
+Smoked weed a couple time

You'll be fine. Just be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAB
Jan 18, 2011

Godholio posted:

Last I heard the cutoff was 27.

It is, but I talked to a recruiter and they said I'd be 27 before I actually got into boot camp so they said its a no go. I turn 27 in June

• Locked thread