Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Machai posted:

It is pseudo-mandatory. After killing the first Lagi, you must either do another Lagi in FF or do a carry quest in volcano to proceed.

"Pseudo-mandatory" as defined that way sounds like pretty much the definition of optional.

Brett824 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
If that's the case same behaviour must be true for Poison/Paralysis phials as they have an associated damage, so Avidya Axe will do poison without an Awakening armor skill but the Eclipse Axe will not as it has a Power phial.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Apr 21, 2013

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

Machai posted:

Dragon phials essentially give you Awaken when in sword mode. All SAs with dragon phials have hidden dragon element.

Power and Elemental phials in crease raw/elemental damage by 25%.

I'd really love to see a source on this because that's the first I've heard of that behavior.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

CodfishCartographer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NKPkRM_ms4

1、Achieved with CryEngine3

2、Original gameplay with new monsters, old monsters come from 1 to 3 .

3、Can drive vehicles(there are water motors in the end of Promotional video)

4、Environment elements can be destroyed or be used as monster’s weapon to deal with hunters.

Not included in video but in their product description

5、the game world will be effected by weather, time and environments

6、Hunter’s weapon can leave scars on monsters, not only preinstall body parts break.

7、There are active skills in game, will not be used frequently but will play a important role in fight. Hunters can excute team combo skills.

8、New world ("unknown continent") with villages and cities

9、Beta test in 2013.6

http://www.pcgamer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=273980

I can't stop watching this.

TheCombatWombat
Feb 23, 2001

Sekret posted:

It was nice jumping from HR7 to HR45 though. Now it's time to meet a Lucent Cuga.

So there is a secret counter that is keeping track of your HR points? I have been powering through to get to 8 and figured I'd go back to farm sets and complete all the quests to build up hr points. If the counter is running I'm just going to take my time and farm to my hearts content.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

TheCombatWombat posted:

So there is a secret counter that is keeping track of your HR points? I have been powering through to get to 8 and figured I'd go back to farm sets and complete all the quests to build up hr points. If the counter is running I'm just going to take my time and farm to my hearts content.

Finishing the HR7 urgent puts you in HR8, but talking to the guild master immediately after will "unlock" HR and make you jump up to your real rank. In my case I went from HR8 to HR37.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Fruit Chewy posted:

I'd really love to see a source on this because that's the first I've heard of that behavior.
I'm fairly certain that the multiplier is actually 1.2x, not 1.25x. Also, I think Elemental/Attribute phial's boost is usually ~1.2x, but not always, depending on the specific switch axe. Phials that straight up add an attribute on top of a pure raw switch axe, like a Paralysis Phial on the Barroth SA, adds a predetermined amount of Paralysis. As a result, saying that they're like using Awaken isn't too far from the truth. I don't have info on MH3U's stuff, but you can take a look at the MHP3rd values:
http://www.mhf3.com/page/Switch+Axe

dvorak
Sep 11, 2003

WARNING: Temporal rift detected!
So why exactly will they bring the new MHO here, but not Frontier? And yeah I know Frontier isn't that great.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.
G-Rank missions forced me to give the SnS a second chance, and I have to say I'm rather impressed with it so far. The damage isn't quite on par with what I'm used to, but in one fight against a Rathian, the shield's already saved me half a dozen times from explosion breath catching me with my pants down.

Is the Narga SnS any good with all of that affinity, or is it all element all the time for this thing?

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy
Trying to decide if I want this on the 3DS. I didn't get too into the first one on the PS2, but I think that's because I hated the idea of any game requiring any attention, and was rather impatient then.

The only problem is the lack of online multiplayer on the 3DS. It still sounds pretty fun, though, and you do get those companions I read about to make the soloing less of a pain in the rear end. I COULD get the Wii U version, but most of my gaming doesn't happen in the living room these days, so I was thinking of the 3DS.

But yeah, I've read very mixed stuff on whether it is worth it without the multi, even here in the thread :( So yeah. If anything, it looks like a good time. And it would be a good time to jump back in from what it seems.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

dvorak posted:

So why exactly will they bring the new MHO here, but not Frontier? And yeah I know Frontier isn't that great.

Frontier is terrible, there aren't enough people in the west who are insane grind junkies. There aren't even enough in Korea.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Calaveron posted:

Finishing the HR7 urgent puts you in HR8, but talking to the guild master immediately after will "unlock" HR and make you jump up to your real rank. In my case I went from HR8 to HR37.

So HR# means Hunter Rank, and HR alone means High Rank? I mean I've never rolled into multiplayer so I'm trying to piece things together on context.

On another note, I've been fighting Pink Rathians armed with the rustshard GS to get the hang of it because I too would like to be a bad mammajamma--nevermind that it's my strongest weapon and also deals Dragon elemental damage. This brute-force crashcourse in greatsword competency is pretty fun, though I inevitably run out of potions before long so I'm practically required to capture rather than risk taking hits going for a kill.

EDIT:

MrMoose posted:

Trying to decide if I want this on the 3DS. I didn't get too into the first one on the PS2, but I think that's because I hated the idea of any game requiring any attention, and was rather impatient then.

The only problem is the lack of online multiplayer on the 3DS. It still sounds pretty fun, though, and you do get those companions I read about to make the soloing less of a pain in the rear end. I COULD get the Wii U version, but most of my gaming doesn't happen in the living room these days, so I was thinking of the 3DS.

But yeah, I've read very mixed stuff on whether it is worth it without the multi, even here in the thread :( So yeah. If anything, it looks like a good time. And it would be a good time to jump back in from what it seems.

Actually, I hear the 3DS version supports cross-platform play with the Wii U version. Also you can get online multiplayer on the 3DS version if you tunnel your connection through the Wii U (like how PSP games could tunnel with Adhoc Play or Xlink Kai through the PS3). Unless I'm stupid and misread things.

Runa fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 21, 2013

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Don't feel too bad about it. You should be capturing Rathian/Rathalos/Lagiacrus almost every time since their rarest drop can't be carved from the main body anyway.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Rainuwastaken posted:

G-Rank missions forced me to give the SnS a second chance, and I have to say I'm rather impressed with it so far. The damage isn't quite on par with what I'm used to, but in one fight against a Rathian, the shield's already saved me half a dozen times from explosion breath catching me with my pants down.

Is the Narga SnS any good with all of that affinity, or is it all element all the time for this thing?
The Narga SnS is cool, just make sure you're hitting something that takes reasonably good raw damage. For instance, don't wail on a Diablos' Horns with a nonelemental SnS. Though, elemental is also plenty good.

MrMoose
Jan 4, 2003

Happy Happy Joy Joy

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Actually, I hear the 3DS version supports cross-platform play with the Wii U version. Also you can get online multiplayer on the 3DS version if you tunnel your connection through the Wii U (like how PSP games could tunnel with Adhoc Play or Xlink Kai through the PS3). Unless I'm stupid and misread things.

Yeah, but I doubt I'd buy both versions of the game for the cross play thing. However, the tunnel thing sounds like it could be a possibility. Thanks for this!

But it does sound like it might be fun even without the multi!

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
Seems like the solo Jhen Mohran doesn't have enough ballista/cannon ammo to last through the fight so am I expected to just ping him in the feet until the Dragonator is off cooldown in the Final Showdown?

gently caress spending 30 minutes on that poo poo and getting nothing out of it.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

That Gobbo posted:

Seems like the solo Jhen Mohran doesn't have enough ballista/cannon ammo to last through the fight so am I expected to just ping him in the feet until the Dragonator is off cooldown in the Final Showdown?

gently caress spending 30 minutes on that poo poo and getting nothing out of it.

Yeah, I was kind of pissed when I first did that because I came in with Artillery Expert, exhausted my cannon and ballista ammo through both stages of the fight and got him with the Dragonator twice and found some time to also climb up on his back and gently caress holes through it. Yet he still broke the drat ship just before time would have run out and I would have repelled him, twice.

Still actually haven't gone back to try it again, though I'm probably do a lot better now that I have Deviljho's Axe.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I'm trying to figure out what skills to look for now that I'm in high rank. I realize it's not necessary before g-rank to seriously minmax armor, but I want to learn how to go about it before then. What sort of skills should I even be looking for? I'm primarily a gunlance user if that matters.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Ciaphas posted:

I'm trying to figure out what skills to look for now that I'm in high rank. I realize it's not necessary before g-rank to seriously minmax armor, but I want to learn how to go about it before then. What sort of skills should I even be looking for? I'm primarily a gunlance user if that matters.

Wroggi is solid for any blademaster, if you want a block set then try Barroth.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
How do I get more than 5 Chum-Chum Tickets in Ultimate?

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Unoriginal Name posted:

How do I get more than 5 Chum-Chum Tickets in Ultimate?

I get Chum-Chum tickets every now and then, taking the Shakalakas along for every hunt. The cat just sorta seems to give'em out at random as long as you're hauling the kids around with you.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Rainuwastaken posted:

I get Chum-Chum tickets every now and then, taking the Shakalakas along for every hunt. The cat just sorta seems to give'em out at random as long as you're hauling the kids around with you.

That cat will give you one when Kayamba and Cha-Cha gain a level in Chuminess or whatever but I need a bunch more to upgrade the paralyze dual swords.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid
So uh... Stygian Zinogre.

A friend and I managed to get him down after a terrifying 35 minutes, but it wasn't exactly efficient. Is there some way that I can effectively mitigate Dragonblight? We both had the debuff like 90% of the time that we were on him so it seems like we could bust out a lot more damage if we could deal with that somehow. We're planning on bringing nulberry masks on both shakalakas next time, but I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Fruit Chewy posted:

So uh... Stygian Zinogre.

A friend and I managed to get him down after a terrifying 35 minutes, but it wasn't exactly efficient. Is there some way that I can effectively mitigate Dragonblight? We both had the debuff like 90% of the time that we were on him so it seems like we could bust out a lot more damage if we could deal with that somehow. We're planning on bringing nulberry masks on both shakalakas next time, but I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions.

Easiest would be to gem Blightproof/wear Ivory Lagiacrus armor. Though if you do the latter you'll probably want to gem in Dragon Resistance since Ivory Lagiacrus armor is Dragon weak.

Fruit Chewy
Feb 13, 2012
join whole squid

LornMarkus posted:

Easiest would be to gem Blightproof/wear Ivory Lagiacrus armor. Though if you do the latter you'll probably want to gem in Dragon Resistance since Ivory Lagiacrus armor is Dragon weak.

I'm pretty partial to my current set (Helios/Narga mix with Sharpness +1, Evasion +1, Earplugs, and Evade Dist) so I guess we'll just stock up on nulberries and get better at dodging the dragon attacks.

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Unoriginal Name posted:

That cat will give you one when Kayamba and Cha-Cha gain a level in Chuminess or whatever but I need a bunch more to upgrade the paralyze dual swords.

Yeah, I'm aware of that. Their chum level has been maxed out for quite some time in my game though, and I still periodically get the tickets. Think after they max out it just happens every so often.

I don't know of any way to speed that process up, though. Sorry.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

dvorak posted:

I don't think they'd bring over such a dated MMO that really wouldn't catch on in the West when they have MHO on the horizon.

That Gobbo posted:

Fighting Jhen is all about using all the tools the ship has but they won't kill him for you. The ballista is not enough, you have to get on him or in the second phase beat on his feet a lot for him to keel over.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
So I just unlocked the Mark of the Hero quest for the village. How the hell are you supposed to defeat brach and rath when they both refuse to separate? Smoke bombs don't seem to work at all, and they've killed both my cha-chas instantly. The weapon I was using was a lance so I don't know if I should get something with higher mobility, then again I really have no idea how to use anything else outside of a lance. My armor is a mix of G.Agnaktor Z armor and Steel Uragaan Z.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Ignimbrite posted:

So Crytek, uh, sorta just confirmed that Monster Hunter Online is coming to the west ("Monster Hunter Online will be developed for the international market by Tencent Games and Capcom"): Clicky

And here's the announcement video for anyone who hasn't seen it yet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbTVWTeN2gM

It's aesthetically pleasing, but it's also being made by some Chinese MMO company. I'm not gonna get my hopes up until I see proof this won't turn out lovely.

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie

WendigoJohnson posted:

So I just unlocked the Mark of the Hero quest for the village. How the hell are you supposed to defeat brach and rath when they both refuse to separate? Smoke bombs don't seem to work at all, and they've killed both my cha-chas instantly. The weapon I was using was a lance so I don't know if I should get something with higher mobility, then again I really have no idea how to use anything else outside of a lance. My armor is a mix of G.Agnaktor Z armor and Steel Uragaan Z.

The Rathalos is made out of paper, just run around a lot and bring his rear end down first, then depending on how good you are at dodging, Brachydios alone should be a cakewalk. I wouldn't really recommend the Lance, I personally used a Switchaxe. Hardest part of the fight was the Lagiacrus with it

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Well I'm running around soloing the first level of G-Rank stuff so I can get to the Volcano to finish my G-Rank Wroggi set. Currently on Rust Duramboros.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Fruit Chewy posted:

This guide here for dragon/status phials and 1.25 modifiers.

quote:

Dragon Phial (unique to the crystal series): This Phial gives you dragon element based on how much your switchaxe would get normally with the armor skill awaken. Importantly this doesn't stack with the awaken skill so don't even bother awakening these axes unless you're a axe mode fanatic.
Paralysis Phial (unique to the bastion blitz series): This Phial gives you paralyzing properties based on how much your switchaxe would get normally with the armor skill awaken. Importantly this doesn't stack with the awaken skill so don't even bother awakening these axes unless you're a axe mode fanatic.

This guide for 1.25 modifiers.

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

So is there any solid proof that MHO is coming to the US or any other English speaking country? All I am hearing is that it will be released "internationally" which really could just mean China/Japan/Korea/etc.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

WendigoJohnson posted:

I just finished this last night with a switch axe. The Dios explosions really hurt los, so when he's enraged just run around. I recommend bringing mega dash juices. Make sure you gem in rocksteady or HGE, because being scream-locked is the leading cause of death in the multi arena monster fights.

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
What's something good to gem into Ludroth Z gear? I made it just because Ludroths are easy as hell to farm, and I didn't check the skills 'til after. Negate Poison and Hunger are fantastic, as is Marathon Runner. I gemmed in Destroyer since I couldn't slap Earplugs into it, but I dunno if that's great to have (never had it before). Status Attack Up is greyed out, though. That just because I'm using Dios weapons and Slime doesn't count as a status attack? It's at 13, what gems would I need to get it to +15? I did a quick check through my available stuff and didn't see that anywhere in the list.

What's a good armor set to go for now that I have a foot in the G-Rank armor door? Still sticking to Dios DBs for now. Need a G-Rank gem, I think, for the final upgrade, which is gonna be fun to try getting. If I mess with bows it'll be after I get G8* opened up. I'm just a few quests into G7* at the moment.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

ChibiSoma posted:

What's something good to gem into Ludroth Z gear? I made it just because Ludroths are easy as hell to farm, and I didn't check the skills 'til after. Negate Poison and Hunger are fantastic, as is Marathon Runner. I gemmed in Destroyer since I couldn't slap Earplugs into it, but I dunno if that's great to have (never had it before). Status Attack Up is greyed out, though. That just because I'm using Dios weapons and Slime doesn't count as a status attack? It's at 13, what gems would I need to get it to +15? I did a quick check through my available stuff and didn't see that anywhere in the list.

What's a good armor set to go for now that I have a foot in the G-Rank armor door? Still sticking to Dios DBs for now. Need a G-Rank gem, I think, for the final upgrade, which is gonna be fun to try getting. If I mess with bows it'll be after I get G8* opened up. I'm just a few quests into G7* at the moment.

Bombardier is pretty easy to gem into things and does help with your Dios/Slime attacks.

Hilariously from food you want Felyne Pyro and not Felyne Bombardier if you want additional assistance with Slime.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

I just checked out LR Rathalos Plate drop odds. Sometimes I hate this loving game.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Christ, finally got a loving Gobul Lantern and it sucked. Oops, the lantern's above the water, oops, it's clipped into a wall, oops, I'm stunned. :argh:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I'm getting more and more convinced that the GS is the greatest weapon in MH. gently caress your shields, and your quick dodge rolls, and your Wyvern's Fire, and your Demonization, and your phials. gently caress all that. I just want to hit dragons in the face really, really loving hard, and the GS lets me do that.

Plus I don't think I've ever had a better feeling in the loving WORLD then unleashing a level 3 GS attack on a sleeping Tigrex. gently caress you, Tigrex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quiggy
Aug 7, 2010

[in Russian] Oof.

So I picked up a CPP for this game earlier today and now when waking up my 3DS it's not connected any more. Any idea what to do to fix that or do I have to restart the game and reenable it on the main screen?

• Locked thread