Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Has anyone tried Injustice for Wii U yet? How's the port, Is it worth getting over the other versions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't think there will be any huge surprise this year, Nintendo seems to prefer announcing things throughout the year with their Directs rather than surprising people with a pile of announcements on one day of the year. They even had a pre-E3 Direct last year that spoiled a lot of the actual E3 keynote. Their E3 seems more like a recap for investors who have not seen a single direct.

Maybe, but this year might be a little different. Playstation 4 and XBox 720 will have a huge presence at E3 and the least Nintendo can do is showcase a really strong software lineup along with noteworthy OS changes and new apps. They'll probably have a pre-E3 Nintendo Direct, but I do expect them to save one or two big surprises for their show. We already know Mario Kart U and the new 3D Mario will be playable and that Smash Bros. will be shown in some form. Bayonetta 2 will probably get some time allotted. Maybe no earth-shattering announcements, but I feel like there's plenty to look forward to. E3 is Gamer Christmas, after all.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Katana Gomai posted:

There's a ton of JRPGs on the PS3 though

Are there? Looking at my collection I have FFXIII ( :( ), FFXIII-2, Resonance of Fate, and... uhhh... I guess if you're stretching and including SRPGs Disgaea and Valkyria Chronicles? There's also the Atelier series which are weird and I have no interest in. Any major ones I've missed? That's pretty sad for a 7 year old console.

Gutcruncher posted:

Has anyone tried Injustice for Wii U yet? How's the port, Is it worth getting over the other versions?

This is the only thing I've heard about it:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

^^^^^^ Wow! That is terrible! Well I'm sure this won't help Nintendo's face to gamers now.

Rake Arms posted:

Maybe, but this year might be a little different. Playstation 4 and XBox 720 will have a huge presence at E3 and the least Nintendo can do is showcase a really strong software lineup along with noteworthy OS changes and new apps. They'll probably have a pre-E3 Nintendo Direct, but I do expect them to save one or two big surprises for their show. We already know Mario Kart U and the new 3D Mario will be playable and that Smash Bros. will be shown in some form. Bayonetta 2 will probably get some time allotted. Maybe no earth-shattering announcements, but I feel like there's plenty to look forward to. E3 is Gamer Christmas, after all.

A huge thing would be a trailer for their next zelda and gameplay of the next metroid/whatever Retro Studios has been working on. That would sell me so hard, E3 winner 2013.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Katana Gomai posted:

There's a ton of JRPGs on the PS3 though, and most of them aren't Square-Enix? And most of those DS JRPGs probably are Square/Enix games (and they're pretty good)? :confused:

Sorry, I kind of ignore JRPGs on other consoles. Hence me mentioning Gamecube and Wii. That said, what's good that isn't extremely Japanese? Like niché Atlus JRPG with big eyed character portraits filling 2/3rds of the screen? Maybe I'm just basing it on what my friends tend to play.

I should have also said "Final Fantasy" instead of Square Enix. Dragon Quest games are awesome. The last Final Fantasy game on the PS3 I played... holy gently caress was it bad. 12 or whatever?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Crowbear posted:

:stare: But...why

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

It ain't gonna sell, so why finish it?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Bobnumerotres posted:

It ain't gonna sell, so why finish it?

But if it aint finished, it aint gonna sell
But if it aint gonna sell, why finish it
but if it aint finished, it aint gonna sell

Where she stops, nobody knows

treeboy
Nov 13, 2004

James T. Kirk was a great man, but that was another life.

Crowbear posted:

the second half is especially confusing to me since as I understand the Nintendo network setup that'd be a failing on Neversoft's part not Nintendo, unless Neversoft is relying 100% on Live and PSN architecture to take care of their lobbies?

Also video compression issues is kinda strange too. My guess is Neversoft only had 2 guys working on the WiiU version and didn't bother optimizing it nearly as well.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Gutcruncher posted:

But if it aint finished, it aint gonna sell
But if it aint gonna sell, why finish it
but if it aint finished, it aint gonna sell

Where she stops, nobody knows

I know where you're coming from, but you are wrong!

EA sells broken games like hotcakes. An option that isn't even available on the WiiU.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
They could patch private games and iOS integration in later, I guess. I would still get another version if it was an option because they're going to have way bigger communities that will likely last longer.

Looking into it a little more it seems the Wii U version looks good and performs fine, so that's a thing at least.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Crowbear posted:

Are there? Looking at my collection I have FFXIII ( :( ), FFXIII-2, Resonance of Fate, and... uhhh... I guess if you're stretching and including SRPGs Disgaea and Valkyria Chronicles? There's also the Atelier series which are weird and I have no interest in. Any major ones I've missed? That's pretty sad for a 7 year old console.

You're missing Ni no Kuni, a fantastic RPG by Level 5 with art design by Studio Ghibli. I'd definitely recommend looking into it if you're a fan of any of Miyazaki's films, but you'd probably enjoy it even if you aren't interested in them. There's also at least one Tales game, if you like that series.

There are a lot of others too, but I don't know how many of them are actually worth playing.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

DarkHamsterlord posted:

You're missing Ni no Kuni, a fantastic RPG by Level 5 with art design by Studio Ghibli. I'd definitely recommend looking into it if you're a fan of any of Miyazaki's films, but you'd probably enjoy it even if you aren't interested in them. There's also at least one Tales game, if you like that series.

I somehow managed to forget about Ni no Kuni because it's in my PS3 right now and the case isn't on the shelf I looked over :ughh:

Random Stranger posted:

No statement of quality, but there's the Hyperdimentional Neptunia games, Eternal Sonata, a few entries in the Tales series, and Ni no Kuni.

Yeaaahhhh Neptunia definitely isn't good and Eternal Sonata is pretty :geno: Good call on the Tales series though. There was also Star Ocean which was an abomination.

Still, even adding all of those up that's like, just over 1 notable JRPG per year which is not what I would call a ton!

Crowbear fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 20, 2013

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Crowbear posted:

No statement of quality, but there's the Hyperdimentional Neptunia games, Eternal Sonata, a few entries in the Tales series, and Ni no Kuni.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Crowbear posted:

I have the port and I haven't noticed any difference in load times from the versions i've seen being streamed on ps3s and 360s during fighting exhibitions so I don't think that's a real thing and if it is it's so minor. The only thing as far as I know that it doesn't have is online lobbies. Still can pick up a match real quick though. Also the dpad on the pro controller is waaaaaaaaaaay better than the 360 dpad and the way the buttons are set up on the wiiu your thumbs rest right on the dpad and buttons which is kinda nice. I totally expect it not to have near the community that the 360/ps3 versions do though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Katana Gomai posted:

There's a ton of JRPGs on the PS3 though, and most of them aren't Square-Enix? And most of those DS JRPGs probably are Square/Enix games (and they're pretty good)? :confused:

50% of the JRPG's on PS3 are low budget, low effort Compile Heart/Idea Factory pandering otaku bait crap so that's not really anything to be pleased about.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Pier Solar HD is on it's way to the Wii U eShop. I've read up on it and it seems like a really great time.

If it's anything like the original it'll suck.

Gutcruncher posted:

Looks/plays fine, online is missing lots of online lobby-related crap for reasons unknown (inability to coordinate a day-one patch, allegedly, but it's supposed to be coming soon). Doesn't really do much with the gamepad - off-tv play, movelists, that's about it.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Is there any reason to get the deluxe version over the 8gb one other than an extra 60 dollars? I just want to play Monster Hunter and Xenoblade 2 when it comes out so far.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

treeboy posted:

the second half is especially confusing to me since as I understand the Nintendo network setup that'd be a failing on Neversoft's part not Nintendo, unless Neversoft is relying 100% on Live and PSN architecture to take care of their lobbies?

Also video compression issues is kinda strange too. My guess is Neversoft only had 2 guys working on the WiiU version and didn't bother optimizing it nearly as well.

Netherrealm, not Neversoft. I'm fairly sure Neversoft are long dead.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If it's anything like the original it'll suck.

If they fix the balance and difficulty of the original it'll be fine.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Also noticed that they don't play a single song during the Earthbound preview.
Evidently music licensing wasn't the issue: http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2013/04/earthbound_delay_may_not_have_been_caused_by_music_licensing_issues_after_all
All the original tracks are already confirmed to be in the game, so the only reason not to release it next week must be because they want to space out the VC releases again?

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Ramadu posted:

Is there any reason to get the deluxe version over the 8gb one other than an extra 60 dollars? I just want to play Monster Hunter and Xenoblade 2 when it comes out so far.

The charging cradle is a godsend, Nintendoland is cool, and you get credit equal to 10% of everything you buy on the eShop until December 2014.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Ramadu posted:

Also the extra 24Gb storage. The Nintendo Network Premium stuff is going to get your money back in the long run though if you buy eShop stuff, pretty much any digital version of a retail game is going to put you over or right up to the threshold for those $5 codes which are really nice to just have sat in your account just for little bits of DLC or making more digital copies cheaper.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Ramadu posted:

Click the thread title and your question will be answered.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

The biggest thing bothering me right now is how many people are complaining that there isn't DLC for Wii U versions of games.

When did this happen? When did gamers, the people who have been so against the idea of DLC (ESPECIALLY the CoD DLC that's $15 a pop), suddenly start wanting it?

drat we're a fickle bunch.

I for one still don't like DLC. Oh, what's that? You are adding in stuff that should have been in your $60 game from the start? And you want me to pay another $10 for it? Screw that.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
Just to be contrarian (and some might think dumb) I purchased the Basic because I like the white console, didn't care for the extra gimmicks (my Gamepad with cord reaches my futon/bed easily and I just rest it on the console when not in use) it comes with and I didn't want Nintendoland (I got Sonic All-Stars instead). I'm perfectly fine with what I have. Getting the Deluxe for just the 32GB is dumb because you're still going to just add an extra hard drive to it anyway. However if you want Nintendoland then get it with the Deluxe. If you prefer black, get the Deluxe. If you're waiting for games to come out and like the white, get the Basic.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Just to be contrarian (and some might think dumb) I purchased the Basic because I like the white console, didn't care for the extra gimmicks (my Gamepad with cord reaches my futon/bed easily and I just rest it on the console when not in use) it comes with and I didn't want Nintendoland (I got Sonic All-Stars instead). I'm perfectly fine with what I have. Getting the Deluxe for just the 32GB is dumb because you're still going to just add an extra hard drive to it anyway. However if you want Nintendoland then get it with the Deluxe. If you prefer black, get the Deluxe. If you're waiting for games to come out and like the white, get the Basic.

You forgot the deluxe digital promotion.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Ramadu posted:

The 10% back on all eShop purchases until the end up 2014 is really drat sexy. (You need to get $5 back to get anything back, but yeah...) If you purchase 10 games it has payed for itself, the bigger drive is also nice but you'll still likely want an external drive. In my opinion though the best reason is the white game pad catches my eye when I use it and distracts me if I need to quickly glance at the screen, the black one I just focus on the screen quickly.

My friend has a non deluxe and I had the pad. Black Pad best Pad. (And don't think you'll save money buying an after market one they don't exist, and Nintendo replacements have been between $100-200).

edit: right Nintendo Land! I forgot! (its my only disc game) you can sell that for $20 or so if you don't want it. But that game is loving awesome at a party. For adults its fun, but you probably want to get drunk if you plan on playing more then 2-3 hours. If you have to entertain kids its loving amazing. The one where you chase 1 guy and have everyone else jumping around is so fun I'd probably have payed $5-10 for a more fleshed out copy of just that for parties.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Apr 21, 2013

FunkyMoses
Oct 30, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Same thing here. Here's the scary thing... that Sonic All-Stars game? It's actually fun, weirdly enough. I feel like I'm supposed to hate it, but it brings back memories of Diddy Kong Racing from the N64. Good times!

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Canned Panda posted:

The biggest thing bothering me right now is how many people are complaining that there isn't DLC for Wii U versions of games.

When did this happen? When did gamers, the people who have been so against the idea of DLC (ESPECIALLY the CoD DLC that's $15 a pop), suddenly start wanting it?

drat we're a fickle bunch.

I for one still don't like DLC. Oh, what's that? You are adding in stuff that should have been in your $60 game from the start? And you want me to pay another $10 for it? Screw that.

There's a huge difference between stuff like map packs and DLC that genuinely expands the game in meaningful ways.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

FunkyMoses posted:

Same thing here. Here's the scary thing... that Sonic All-Stars game? It's actually fun, weirdly enough. I feel like I'm supposed to hate it, but it brings back memories of Diddy Kong Racing from the N64. Good times!

It is a legit great kart racing game, and rivals even the best Mario Kart games. And I say this as somebody who enjoys each Mario Kart game more or less. At $40 when it came out, it was a very good deal. Had some issues early on but those eventually got patched. And I thought the previous game in the series was pretty good as well (I have that for the 360).

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

AngryCaterpillar posted:

You forgot the deluxe digital promotion.

Probably because everyone forgets about it.

FunkyMoses posted:

It's more than fun. I'd call it one of the best kart racers. It's also hard as gently caress.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
N64 games get uprezzed to 480p on the Wii Virtual Console. I wonder if they will be brought into HD on the Wii U VC?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Alteisen posted:

There's a huge difference between stuff like map packs and DLC that genuinely expands the game in meaningful ways.

DLC was poo poo at first, but several games have been selling "DLC" that are basically expansions. Some (horse armor) are huge drat ripoffs. Some games have mixed bags, and yeah whatever. I really prefer expansions being sold as DLC even if its at the same price it makes more sense and generally lets the developer break it up a bit more, maybe I don't want the extra 5 classes you are adding and just want the new zone.

All that said I love the elder scroll series and am waiting for GotY Skyrim in a few years because I'm not about to buy all that DLC alone when I can pick up a new copy of the game on steam for $50-60 with all of it, I'm sure the DLC alone will add up to that at that time. Actually speaking of Skyrim I wonder if GotY will come to the wiiU.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Thanks for all the replies! I did read the OP but I still couldn't tell if it would be worth it. You all have given me some good feedback.

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

AngryCaterpillar posted:

N64 games get uprezzed to 480p on the Wii Virtual Console. I wonder if they will be brought into HD on the Wii U VC?

I wish people would stop using that word. It's confusing as it doesn't really mean anything, and makes people uncertain if you mean upscaling or re-rendering at a higher resolution. I'm guessing the N64 games that supported 480 vertical lines of resolution were rendered in that resolution (or switchable, as the case was in some games: Episode 1 Racer, Duke Nukem Zero Hour), and the ones at 240 were upscaled to 480. On the Wii U I'm almost certain the same will be the case, except they will be further upscaled to whatever resolution you have set your console to. Just like in Wii mode in other words. I'm however certain that they will not re-render them at a higher resolution than what the game originally supported.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Here's a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6V5NJ9ZKfPo

Scheduled but not shown: N64 games

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Aw poo poo was that some motherfucking Kirby's Dream Course. Don't mind if I do.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Here's a thing

There's nothing on that page that says anything about N64 games. Where is this "schedule"?

EDIT: I guess it's from the NA Direct, maybe? The other two didn't mention it at all.

PaletteSwappedNinja fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Apr 21, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Here's a thing

Werent GBA games also coming? They're not featured either, unless I missed something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Quest For Glory II posted:

Werent GBA games also coming? They're not featured either, unless I missed something.

Yes they are coming. Iwata said in due time.

• Locked thread