Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rkajdi
Sep 11, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
A suggestion for smaller groups who want to do a split up of the party for a decent amount of time-- effectively play two separate campaigns by alternating between the groups every week or every story arc. the people who aren't PCs in the main group can either generate new PCs to join with the main characters, or just rework existing NPCs that would seem cool to add to the group (these NPCs mysteriously are of the correct level and get enough gear to fit in) It can allow for more plot to happen during the amount of levels, and obviously allows for a special gaming session where the A and B teams come together to both confront the main villain. My old 2E group did this all the time, but that could have been made easier due to level variance being more common when every class had their own advancement track.

On my own call for advice, I've got two. It's a 4E game if that really makes any difference.

* First, how much screwing with my PC's background characters should be done? I know threatening family is apparently seen as a bit gauche here, but one of my players seems to almost be asking for it. Her character's premise is she'a dragonborn hunting for a stolen relic for her clan. Her sister was responsible for the loss of the relic due to the her sheltered, and the PC has already ritually scarred her as a punishment-- all of this is background generated by the player without any input from me. I'm trying to figure if it would be dirty pool to include the sister as an operative for one of the groups vying for the artifact and some other plans. She'd be a noble villain type who's partially motivated by showing her sister she's capable, but also some revenge, though it would be rationalized away by the sister as something else. Does that seem to be taking too much advantage of the PC's background?

* I'm also trying to find a way to set up a threshold between the adventuring area (the Shadowlands) and the PC's home base. While the city is not going to be safe, my plan at first is to at least make it somewhat obvious that there are things that exist and happen in the Shadowlands simply can't happen outside it. Obviously this is a setup that allows for the poo poo hits the fan and the Shadowlands expand over the PCs base at least temporarily, and that sense of relatively safety gets taken away. I'm really trying to figure a way to set this up, and I'm coming up somewhat empty. Also, I'm again worried I'm playing dirty pool by taking something away the PCs after spending a lot of effort setting it up. Thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Gorefluff posted:

(for example, when the cleric was attacked by a pair of stone spiders while taking a leak during his watch shift at camp, can't hurt them on a roll of 15, meta-gamer's barbarian wakes up from the noise, but then decides they're immune to weapons because 15 is a good roll, so he immediately goes back to sleep; after taking a lot of poo poo from the cleric's player, he decided his barbarian has this whole theory about magic foes being unworthy opponents).

Is this one really meta-gaming? Rolling a 15 and then rolling damage and the monster then taking no damage means you had a pretty solid clean hit on it and it obviously did nothing, if the thing then took no damage I think it's pretty in-character to realize it's immune to whatever nonsense your throwing at it unless your characters are a bunch of retards or something.

Also players stealing poo poo from each other always goes badly, meta-gaming or no. Just don't.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

rkajdi posted:

Threatening PC family.

Like most narrative devices, there's nothing inherently bad about introducing threats and consequences to a character's family. The problems arise when too many DMs do it in the worst way possible. There's a difference between "Your sister you scorned comes back as an evil magician." and "Those bandits you let go up and raped your sister." Doing something gross or wildly out of nowhere is where these moves earn the reputation. It's kind of like the difference between telling a player if his Paladin keeps murder hoboing about he's risking a fall and sticking that same player in a no win situation so he'll break his code and you can take his powers.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

rkajdi posted:

A suggestion for smaller groups who want to do a split up of the party for a decent amount of time-- effectively play two separate campaigns by alternating between the groups every week or every story arc. the people who aren't PCs in the main group can either generate new PCs to join with the main characters, or just rework existing NPCs that would seem cool to add to the group (these NPCs mysteriously are of the correct level and get enough gear to fit in) It can allow for more plot to happen during the amount of levels, and obviously allows for a special gaming session where the A and B teams come together to both confront the main villain. My old 2E group did this all the time, but that could have been made easier due to level variance being more common when every class had their own advancement track.

This is a really good idea, especially if you have some players who can't make it all the time.

rkajdi posted:

* First, how much screwing with my PC's background characters should be done?

* I'm also trying to find a way to set up a threshold between the adventuring area (the Shadowlands) and the PC's home base.

For the first, I think using your character's family is fine. If you were really concerned about how the player might take it, talk to them away from the table "Hey, I think I might involve some of your character's family from the excellent background you wrote. Is that ok?"

For the Second, without more details, I'd say have the Shadowlands bleed over at...specific times. At night, or with the fog, or when the anti-shadowlands magic barriers fall. If the PCs are in their base when the bleed happens, they're safe. If they aren't, they'll wind up in Shadowland city, where the streets twist at impossible angles, and they can't find their way out until the shadowlands retreat again.

Gorefluff
Aug 19, 2004
cuddly minotaur

goldjas posted:

Is this one really meta-gaming? Rolling a 15 and then rolling damage and the monster then taking no damage means you had a pretty solid clean hit on it and it obviously did nothing, if the thing then took no damage I think it's pretty in-character to realize it's immune to whatever nonsense your throwing at it unless your characters are a bunch of retards or something.

Also players stealing poo poo from each other always goes badly, meta-gaming or no. Just don't.

It is when the character was asleep while the dice were rolled.

And the potion thing, since it's been brought up multiple times, was some berserker potion I made up that causes the user to rage out uncontrollably, flattening friend and foe alike, and the other players' characters were afraid for their safety after a close call with the barbarian losing his poo poo after drinking one. Maybe a retarded idea, I dunno, I haven't played D&D for like 10 years, so point well taken all around.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

rkajdi posted:

* First, how much screwing with my PC's background characters should be done? I know threatening family is apparently seen as a bit gauche here, but one of my players seems to almost be asking for it. Her character's premise is she'a dragonborn hunting for a stolen relic for her clan. Her sister was responsible for the loss of the relic due to the her sheltered, and the PC has already ritually scarred her as a punishment-- all of this is background generated by the player without any input from me. I'm trying to figure if it would be dirty pool to include the sister as an operative for one of the groups vying for the artifact and some other plans. She'd be a noble villain type who's partially motivated by showing her sister she's capable, but also some revenge, though it would be rationalized away by the sister as something else. Does that seem to be taking too much advantage of the PC's background?

* I'm also trying to find a way to set up a threshold between the adventuring area (the Shadowlands) and the PC's home base. While the city is not going to be safe, my plan at first is to at least make it somewhat obvious that there are things that exist and happen in the Shadowlands simply can't happen outside it. Obviously this is a setup that allows for the poo poo hits the fan and the Shadowlands expand over the PCs base at least temporarily, and that sense of relatively safety gets taken away. I'm really trying to figure a way to set this up, and I'm coming up somewhat empty. Also, I'm again worried I'm playing dirty pool by taking something away the PCs after spending a lot of effort setting it up. Thoughts?

For the first I think making the sister a villain is fine and maybe even what your player intended.

For the second aren't you basically just turning going to at one point turn the PC's home base into a dungeon they have to go through to get the home base back? That's fine, and a pretty commonly done thing as well.
Taking "relative safety" away in most RPGs is something that works fine for the "fluff" but mechanics wise they still need to rest or whatever every so many battles or TPKs tend to happen, you can definitely turn it into a gauntlet that's slightly harder then normal dungeons or something though.

Gorefluff posted:

It is when the character was asleep while the dice were rolled.

And the potion thing, since it's been brought up multiple times, was some berserker potion I made up that causes the user to rage out uncontrollably, flattening friend and foe alike, and the other players' characters were afraid for their safety after a close call with the barbarian losing his poo poo after drinking one. Maybe a retarded idea, I dunno, I haven't played D&D for like 10 years, so point well taken all around.

This potion kind of seems like a bad idea, what was the original point of it?

goldjas fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Apr 19, 2013

Gorefluff
Aug 19, 2004
cuddly minotaur

goldjas posted:

This potion kind of seems like a bad idea, what was the original point of it?

In the context of the campaign, there's a civil war raging between an opulent, bureaucratic capital and outlying primitive populations including northmen, who were having great success against a much better armed and organized foe because of their fighting spirit and ability to go berserk in battle. Basically I was just copping Norse lore and the theory they'd ingest hallucinogenic mushrooms before battle to overwhelm their enemies. In any case, the party met some black market merchants returning from an illegal trade route from the north, and had with them some of these famed mushroom-based berserker potions. The party wasn't even supposed to be able to buy them, I set the price high because of the rarity and illegality and meant for it to be for flavour and a future plot hook, but they devised a plot to trick the merchants into letting them "guard" the caravan back to civilization, during which they obviously ended up betraying and robbing them of their valuables. The whole thing was pretty hilarious, and has led to a lot of other funny moments, meta-gaming conflict aside.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

rkajdi posted:

Her character's premise is she'a dragonborn hunting for a stolen relic for her clan. Her sister was responsible for the loss of the relic due to the her sheltered, and the PC has already ritually scarred her as a punishment-- all of this is background generated by the player without any input from me. I'm trying to figure if it would be dirty pool to include the sister as an operative for one of the groups vying for the artifact and some other plans. She'd be a noble villain type who's partially motivated by showing her sister she's capable, but also some revenge, though it would be rationalized away by the sister as something else.
That sort of backstory seems like a player thought having a personal storyarc about fighting their villainous sister would be really cool, and I'd accomodate that sort of thing at all costs. Nothing like players writing your long-term plots for you.

Here's what you can do if you're still unsure: drop a strong hint in-game that VillainSister is involved. Take your player aside after the session and ask her if she's okay with that idea. If she isn't, oh whoops turns out some NPC had bad info, if she is, go ahead.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Guesticles posted:

Have the source of conflict being his continued adventuring with the party. Either she's worried for his safety, or wants him to start thinking about future and get a stable job, or maybe he's having doubts where he loves both her and adventuring, but hates to be away from her. Do what feels right. Have him come to the party for advice, since he's not sure what to do, and have your players figure out what they think he should do. They might come up with some 4th option that shits all over your plans.

Btw I just wanted to say this is the best advice.
I think I am going to take a different spin on what you said and what I had come up with, and say "when he is out adventuring, he picks up on her nightmares; when he is at home with her, she sleeps soundly and has pleasant dreams."

This way there is still kind of the tug-of-war between what his priorities should be, but also I can show the party outwardly that he isn't well-rested (bags under his eyes and whatnot) when he is out adventuring with them, and have him try to play it cool: "What? no, I'm fine. But we need to get crackin' on this case." or something along those lines.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Is this too overpowered as a consumable item? It's basically a snake-like drone the players can acquire and use (multiple times, if they bother repairing it) that does this:

code:
Constrict (Minor - Once per turn;  Encounter, Reliable) 
+10 vs. Reflex; On a hit, the target is slowed. 
Upon first failed save, the target is immobilized. 
Upon second failed save, the target is restrained. 
Upon third failed save, the target is restrained and prone. 
Upon fourth failed save, target is unconscious. 
When a save is made, the Drone drops off of the target and the conditions resolve at the beginning of the target's next turn.
The Minor - once per turn thing is because it runs off their actions. Should it be a standard instead?

edit: Oops broke tables

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Apr 19, 2013

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

dog kisser posted:

Is this too overpowered as a consumable item? It's basically a snake-like drone the players can acquire and use (multiple times, if they bother repairing it) that does this:

code:
When a save is made, the Drone drops off of the target and the conditions resolve at the beginning of the target's next turn.
The Minor - once per turn thing is because it runs off their actions. Should it be a standard instead?

I'd stop after the first failed save if just for simplicity.
Edit: Maybe the second.

Guesticles fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 20, 2013

BrainGlitch
Jan 14, 2007

Good sir, you can't pay me enough to go to France while our countries are at war!
Does anyone have any advice on preparing a published adventure? I want to start up The Wizard's Amulet which isn't too daunting, but it's followed by The Crucible of Freya which is like 50 pages long and I'm having a hard time getting it all together. I have the same problem with Call of Cthulhu adventures, due to the need for mystery and such. I mean, how do I go about turning this monstrous wall of text into something playable?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

dog kisser posted:

code:

Doesn't sound terribly overpowered especially of the party is low on controllers, but it depends on if the party can get their hands at more than one of those. If yes, a standard action might be more appropriate. For simplicity's sake: if the conditions end at the start of the target's turn when they make a save, you might as well insert a Special line that shifts these saves to the start.

Also, consider that most single monsters probably aren't going to survive until their fourth, possibly even third save. It's a neat progression but possibly a little overkill.

SafetyTrain
Nov 26, 2012

Bringing a knife to a bear fight

dog kisser posted:

Looks pretty chill to me but I have no understanding of D&D so I might be high flying in ignorance-land. But Guesticles has a point. What I'd probably do is simply have the first failed save constrict them and then put a timer until they go unconscious. Say four turns of constriction would have the character pass out. If you want to simulate the feel of them getting more and more constricted just have the saving throw be progressively harder each turn they fail one.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.
If you have an arena... You shouldn't be lazy and just use it for duels and waves of combat. No... You should put on fixed fights based on performance, showmanship and acting... You should have pro-wrestling matches. You should go all out and have a halfling announce table that is there to get broken. You should implement refs that go unconscious whenever they are lightly touched, cheating managers, pre-fight promos, steel chairs, and angry audience members throwing batteries and cups of urine. Have other party members run into the arena to cause interference. Go ahead. Go full retard with it. Let the players pick their entrance music. Try it. I just tried it. And letting the arena-fighting character become a wrestling heel went over extremely well, and was a lot of fun. Which was surprising so seeing that nobody playing likes professional wrestling.

In D&D the rules for arena combat as performance are in the Dark Sun manual. In Pathfinder it's in Ultimate Combat.

Don't do boring arena combat, change it up, do something glorious with it.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

God Of Paradise posted:

Let the players pick their entrance music.

I told my players to come up with theme music, and only one of them did, and it was bland. :mad:

This is what I came up with for a couple of my NPCs:
the dude who was cursed, and whose wife was kidnapped and killed by mercenaries
the evil communist rebel leader who killed off the royal family
journal entry of one NPC expressing their feelings for another NPC. I later had them slow dance together, to this music.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

P.d0t posted:

I told my players to come up with theme music, and only one of them did, and it was bland. :mad:

This is what I came up with for a couple of my NPCs:
the dude who was cursed, and whose wife was kidnapped and killed by mercenaries
the evil communist rebel leader who killed off the royal family
journal entry of one NPC expressing their feelings for another NPC. I later had them slow dance together, to this music.

One of my players picked the Duke Nukem theme, so well, I guess the point goes to me.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Are there any particular goon-recommended online tools for campaign organization, basically a wiki? I'm really going to need one for this "throw Pathfinder in a blender and pick out the shiniest bits" homebrew game. I've been poking at Obsidian Portal, and it's alright but not great - it's really kind of clunky, and there's no way I need to fill out full character sheets for every character in the game, which it makes mandatory.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Arivia posted:

Are there any particular goon-recommended online tools for campaign organization, basically a wiki? I'm really going to need one for this "throw Pathfinder in a blender and pick out the shiniest bits" homebrew game. I've been poking at Obsidian Portal, and it's alright but not great - it's really kind of clunky, and there's no way I need to fill out full character sheets for every character in the game, which it makes mandatory.

Google Sites is an option. It's been a while since I used Obsidian but don't remember the need for completed character sheets.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
Ffff I wrote up a post and then my work computer ate it THANKS IE.

Summary questions are do skills double dip from hitting even levels via 1/2 level for skill and 1/2 level for ability modifier? Or is that adjusted ability modifier only used for things that specifically request it (at wills etc)? This is 4e.

Also have goons found more bang for their buck doing a lot of character backstory stuff early or is it better to pepper it around with other world stuff in between? I'd like to stay away from "every major interaction involves somebody you guys know" because that's kind of cheesy, but I don't want them to hit the level where the players in their relatively mundane pasts become irrelevant to the kind of threats they're up against.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007

Eldercain posted:

do skills double dip from hitting even levels via 1/2 level for skill and 1/2 level for ability modifier? Or is that adjusted ability modifier only used for things that specifically request it (at wills etc)? This is 4e.

No. You never add half-level twice to anything.
Rule of thumb: d20 rolls add half-level and a relevant ability mod

[rant]
Basically I think it's pretty useless the way they set up character sheets, where everything has a box for half-level and a box for ability mod, and then beside the ability scores there is a box for "half-level plus ability mod" which is only ever useful for ability checks. Which shouldn't happen that often unless you are a DM like me who makes up things like "You're at a club, dancing; make DEX or CHA checks to see how awesome you are."
[/rant]

Eldercain posted:

Also have goons found more bang for their buck doing a lot of character backstory stuff early or is it better to pepper it around with other world stuff in between? I'd like to stay away from "every major interaction involves somebody you guys know" because that's kind of cheesy, but I don't want them to hit the level where the players in their relatively mundane pasts become irrelevant to the kind of threats they're up against.

It depends. Basically, if you want your PCs to be "established characters in the setting" then they should come loaded for bear with thorough backstories. If you're doing a more "coming of age story" you can have the players mold their characters as they go.
If done right, established characters give you a lot of hooks to run with off the bat. The coming-of-agers is more like "DM makes up whatever the gently caress they want, to throw at you, and through this process you figure out what you like or don't like"

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

Eldercain posted:

Depends on the group/back stories.

Remember, those mundane threats don't need to have been sitting idle while your party is out collecting magic weapons.

Maybe the warrior left to get help to fight the local warlord, only now the local warlord is a regional one. The blight infectign the Elf's forest is actually only a practice run for the wizard who intends to release a more potent version. The assassins behind the Wizard's mentor's death were only hired guns, and part of a larger scheme by Vecna to destroy arcane knowledge (so that only vecna will know it).

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
Does anyone have experience with the ORE?

Running Monsters and Other Childish Things which uses a simplied version so if my problems do not apply to "true" ORE, then at least help me figure out what I can do.

I have only made the kids face two monsters with no kids. Of course, they are ALL hitting me. Here are the problems

1) The rule says that whenever I take damage ANYWHERE, not just the part of the monster that is being used for the attack, I have to drop a dice from my largest height set. This causes problem because I might not be able to hit first and then find my only attack is broken. Patches I am thinking: ignore first couple of damage that do not break sets.

2) The system is not very clear on how to run away. I did a double action to dodge and escape using my legs. Doing two actions means I drop a die from my pool and then try

3) How does "gobbling" dice work which what dodging does. It sounds like for every Width over I have on the dodging monster part, any incoming attack has one of it's dice removed. The rules are confusing in that it looks like you can only do this once. Just want to make sure I'm doing it right.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
What is a good map drawing program? Roll20's inbuilt drawing engine gets very slow because even a simple map consists of a giant pile of one line "layers" and pyromancers crashes every time I try to save.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Are you needing to draw the map live? Because I'd just recommend doing it in GIMP or another drawing program that supports a grid if you're preparing beforehand.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time
Speaking of maps, I'd like something that can generate hex maps (not randomly, but set up by me), and export it as an image file. Preferably be able to save and add to the map at a later time.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

I have a strange player. For awhile I thought he was a good roleplayer. He gets really into the roleplaying aspect of his character, but over time, I've noticed this turns into him trying to dominate the game session. Now, and he puts this on me as a DM, because I've put his character through so much turmoil, he has decided that he wants to turn his character into a rapist. His rationale is that his character feels powerless having the knowledge that his life is on a small part of "the d&d realms," going to Sigil and finding out that some Sigilians use Faerun as a carnival ride was just too much for him.

So he wants to fantasy rape fantasy people during our game. Nobody else really wants to play this type of game. There are no evil characters. On top of that, he intimated to me that had another player's character not died during a boss fight, he would of coup de grace'd him in his sleep. He'd been planning it for weeks.

This guy... He was sexually molested as a child. Another member of the group, she was a victim of a sexual assault as a child as well, but not on the level he endured from what I heard. She isn't wanting to start raping NPCs though.

My question. Should I simply say no, and if you do that you are not invited any further? Or should I say, no, and you are no longer invited?

Is there any other way to respond to this? One of the other players said that our game reminds him of a Preacher comic. Could this be partially my fault for him thinking this okay in the tone of the game? Or a proper place to vent his demons/fantasize about rape?

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

God Of Paradise posted:

My question. Should I simply say no, and if you do that you are not invited any further? Or should I say, no, and you are no longer invited?

If people aren't comfortable with this, then it needs to stop. Sit down before the game and talk it out. Tell him that the other players aren't cool with it, so he can't have that as an element of his character. If that's a deal-breaker for him, he has to go.

There's no other way to respond to this.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

God Of Paradise posted:

Should I simply say no, and if you do that you are not invited any further? Or should I say, no, and you are no longer invited?

Is there any other way to respond to this? One of the other players said that our game reminds him of a Preacher comic. Could this be partially my fault for him thinking this okay in the tone of the game? Or a proper place to vent his demons/fantasize about rape?

My advice - it would be very easy to say "you're a creep, go away," but if you've been running a game with a more mature tone ('mature' being a loaded word, granted - it's intended to evoke your Preacher comparison) it's not entirely unreasonable for the (traumatized) guy to think 'hey, this sort of thing might be acceptable.' Mostly, but not entirely.

Sit the guy down and tell him, very plainly, "Not only is no one else all that interested in pursuing the type of gameplay you're looking for, but it's starting to skeeve some people out. So we're not going to be having any of that. If that means this isn't the game for you anymore, then that's fine; you can leave, no harm, no foul. But I have to concern myself with the level of fun for every player at the table, and if your fun means the others aren't having any, then I can't let that happen. You're a good player, and if you can tone this stuff down I'd love to keep you in the game, but if you can't or won't, then I have to ask you to leave."

See, it sounds to me like the guy is falling into the usual trap of thinking about his fun and not giving a poo poo about anyone else's. And that is poison to a game. But as you say, this is a guy with some issues to work through, so I would err on the side of giving him the benefit of the doubt and a chance to straighten up and fly right. If he can realize that his fun is negatively impacting the rest of the group, then maybe he can be salvageable, as it were - but if he can't? If he insists that his fun is all that matters? Then he's gotta go.

tl;dr: Explain things to him like a grown-up and give him the chance to act like one. If he can't, off he goes.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

God Of Paradise posted:

I have a strange player. For awhile I thought he was a good roleplayer. He gets really into the roleplaying aspect of his character, but over time, I've noticed this turns into him trying to dominate the game session. Now, and he puts this on me as a DM, because I've put his character through so much turmoil, he has decided that he wants to turn his character into a rapist. His rationale is that his character feels powerless having the knowledge that his life is on a small part of "the d&d realms," going to Sigil and finding out that some Sigilians use Faerun as a carnival ride was just too much for him.

So he wants to fantasy rape fantasy people during our game. Nobody else really wants to play this type of game. There are no evil characters. On top of that, he intimated to me that had another player's character not died during a boss fight, he would of coup de grace'd him in his sleep. He'd been planning it for weeks.

This guy... He was sexually molested as a child. Another member of the group, she was a victim of a sexual assault as a child as well, but not on the level he endured from what I heard. She isn't wanting to start raping NPCs though.

Tell him to kill it immediately. if you're creeped out even a little bit, every one else is too. If he doesn't stop, tell him not to come back. Even if it kills the game, the fact that you're sketched out is telling you that you don't want to continue playing the game this way, so tell him to stop or leave.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Project1 posted:

Speaking of maps, I'd like something that can generate hex maps (not randomly, but set up by me), and export it as an image file. Preferably be able to save and add to the map at a later time.

Take a look at hexographer.com; I've been using the free version and it works pretty great. They also do a dungeon mapping program as well.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens
Giant Monster as Force of Nature

I'm looking for advice about an introductory session I'm thinking of.

The system is Pathfinder, but I'm not really concerned about mechanics (per se), more for general concepts.

The premise is that all the heroes are being thrown into a dungeon of sorts (punishment for crimes) and if they make it out alive, they are absolved of all wrongdoings.

I want to set up the plot and encounters in a format that teaches the players all of the rules gradually.

Example: room 1: how to do skill tests (and help each other with skill tests, room 2: Reflex saves, room 3: Will saves etc...

My players are expecting a typical dungeon with minor goons (giant rats etc...) and minor traps.

BUT, my plan is to instead have it that the dungeon contains a HUGE giant monster. In this case, a Giant Anaconda.

Each encounter with it will not take form as regular combat, but as challenges.

Some that I've thought of: the giant serpent has smashed the floor beneath them: they must climb to safety (skill tests). Another is that the monster's head gets stuck in a doorway and they all get to take swipes at it (learning how to fight and dodge without extreme lethality).

In the end, they'll kill the horrible thing by some creative teamwork (collaborating to taunt it and drop a huge rock on its head or something).

What do you think? Could this work as a campaign intro? Anyone done anything similar?

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

Skill checks totally rule but aren't some of your level 1 pathfinder characters going to have like 8 skill points and not be able to help at all?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

God Of Paradise posted:

It is absolutely unacceptable in my opinion to include sex in the game unless everyone is on board with it and what it means, and that goes exponentially more so for coercive acts.

However, I've heard more than one instance of people using games to deal with past trauma. I'd suggest being gentle and considerate of the guy, but absolutely firm that the group does not tolerate any of that stuff. Also, suggest he look into counseling, or if he rebuffs that (and you're comfortable offering) see if he wants to work through stuff separate from elfgames.

Project1
Dec 30, 2003

it's time

Arivia posted:

Take a look at hexographer.com; I've been using the free version and it works pretty great. They also do a dungeon mapping program as well.

The paid version looks nice, but is insanely expensive. I wonder if anyone ever buys it. Thanks, though, the free version is still the best I've seen. Especially good because I forgot to mention this is a SF campaign, and Hexographer has space tiles and stuff like radiation/skyscrapers for the ground maps.

Rocket Ace
Aug 11, 2006

R.I.P. Dave Stevens

Karandras posted:

Skill checks totally rule but aren't some of your level 1 pathfinder characters going to have like 8 skill points and not be able to help at all?

We're actually being loose with the rules and letting anyone just give a +2 bonus to someone else on a skill check if they give up their action that turn to help out their comrade.

Might be game breaking, but we give no fucks, if you catch my drift.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

God Of Paradise posted:

I have a strange player. For awhile I thought he was a good roleplayer. [...] He has decided that he wants to turn his character into a rapist.

[ ... ] He intimated to me that had another player's character not died during a boss fight, he would of coup de grace'd him in his sleep. He'd been planning it for weeks.

Is there any other way to respond to this?

I'm going to assume the rest of the players are not on board with the fantasy rape train (even if they are, you aren't). It sounds like he wants to make his character evil - killing party members in their sleep, etc., and he does have a okish justification for his character turning evil, being that he looked into the infinite and snapped. If you don't want to have evil characters in your party, just make it clear you don't want evil characters in the party. Maybe if your player is tired of their current character/sees them turning evil, you could NPC their character as a villain and have the player roll up a new character.

Thinking about how I'd handle this in my games, I always run my games as fade to black for anything sex-related. Sexy times in my games are usually used for comedic effect anyway, so any sort of rape would really go against the tone of the game.

If a player wanted to force themselves on an NPC, and they had a good reason for it, I'd probably let them go ahead, because it would fade to black and pick up afterwards, where they'd be facing the music for their actions. If they wanted to become a serial rapist, I'd tell them to knock it off and that it was sort of creepy. If they didn't knock it off, I'd probably ask them to leave the group.

DarkHorse pretty much hit the nail on the head.

DarkHorse posted:

It is absolutely unacceptable in my opinion to include sex in the game unless everyone is on board with it and what it means, and that goes exponentially more so for coercive acts. [...] I'd suggest being gentle and considerate of the guy, but absolutely firm that the group does not tolerate any of that stuff.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Rocket Ace posted:

I'm looking for advice about an introductory session I'm thinking of.

The system is Pathfinder, but I'm not really concerned about mechanics (per se), more for general concepts.

The premise is that all the heroes are being thrown into a dungeon of sorts (punishment for crimes) and if they make it out alive, they are absolved of all wrongdoings.

I want to set up the plot and encounters in a format that teaches the players all of the rules gradually.

Example: room 1: how to do skill tests (and help each other with skill tests, room 2: Reflex saves, room 3: Will saves etc...

My players are expecting a typical dungeon with minor goons (giant rats etc...) and minor traps.

BUT, my plan is to instead have it that the dungeon contains a HUGE giant monster. In this case, a Giant Anaconda.

Each encounter with it will not take form as regular combat, but as challenges.

Some that I've thought of: the giant serpent has smashed the floor beneath them: they must climb to safety (skill tests). Another is that the monster's head gets stuck in a doorway and they all get to take swipes at it (learning how to fight and dodge without extreme lethality).

In the end, they'll kill the horrible thing by some creative teamwork (collaborating to taunt it and drop a huge rock on its head or something).

What do you think? Could this work as a campaign intro? Anyone done anything similar?

This sounds fantastic. Have read Dungeon World? Because that sounds like a Dungeon World fight, and familiarising yourself with the DW approach and the GM moves could really help.

Coincidentally that's also the best way I've found to do 4e skill challenges, just moving round the group presenting challenges and complicating solutions.

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012

So I took a vote. Should this PC be able to rape NPCs and kill PCs? I asked the 4 other players. 3 of them said they were fine with it. One of them said yes, but it was dumb. My girlfriend said it was dumb but that she didn't give a poo poo. I am the lone person opposed.

Now that I've thought about it, it is novel to have a character die like a despicable cowardly dog for his crimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Rocket Ace posted:

that sounds great. Make sure that all of your players are capable of adding to the skill challenge in some way, and make sure that all failures fail it forward rather than being a binary pass/fail.

For example, using your climb check - those that succeed grab onto the ledge and are able to scramble up and begin taking potshots at the creatures exposed midsection, while those that fail drop onto it's back and slide towards the tail. Another skill check might allow them to make an attack on the way down, while failing that means they slide to the bottom. Those that make it to the bottom are now fighting the tail, a giant rattle that pounds about the room trying to smash everything, and a spot check notices the rocks in the ceiling are loose - they need a skill treshold, no successes or failures here but instead just need a certain number to be reached in total (that way players with no skills can participate). A series of tumble or bluff checks allow them to get the tail to smash the rocks down, while a grapple check holds it in place.

Those that fell off the middle have been doing HP damage to this time, but now face a mesmerizing midsection that undulates hypnotically - will saves allow them to act for the turn, and they must realize that there are several objects inside the room, ranging from pongi sticks to bear traps to iron chains and ropes - that will allow them hold the midsection in place so they can go back to stabbing. Any knowledge check will reveal a different kind of device that might work, as will survival, use rope, or any skill you think might work. Then attack checks or appropriate skill checks to trap another section of the snake. Once x traps are set, they can go to cutting up the midsection into snake steak.

Those who climbed to the top have been hackig, slashing, and casting away at the top part of the sneak. But now the head smashes through the wall, and it unleashes a hideous sound as bites at them. Will saves (against fear) to act against the head, and several skill usages to get the snake to wind it's way around the wooden support beams and bring the whole ceiling down on its neck, finally allowing the players on top to stab the beast with impunity. Keep track of HP damage, and give the players with the most damage done a reward at the end, whole thing on scrying as a bloodsport or what have you. If a player wants to substitute a skill and has a decent reason why that might work, let them by all means.