Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lonelywurm
Aug 10, 2009

menino posted:

So does Bulgarian have some kind of sprachbund thing going on? Why is it the only Slavic language with articles?
Yep. The Balkan Sprachbund. The introduction of articles applies to the East South Slavic languages (Macedonian and Bulgarian are very close, but since WWII are more widely considered distinct languages). You also see the suffixed definite article in Torlakian, which is often considered a transitional form between the east and west south Slavic languages, and Romanian/Moldavian (which is different from all other Romance languages, as you see on the map), and Albanian, which may be the source of this feature (or might not).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
While trying to figure out why there are only indefinite articles used around Dresden, I found a politically-loaded map:

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
A map showing penetration of West German TV signals into East Germany.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Economist map showing UK constituencies as equal size to better depict the geographical party split which isn't visible on regular party mapping.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2013/04/mapping-britain

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

twoot posted:

Economist map showing UK constituencies as equal size to better depict the geographical party split which isn't visible on regular party mapping.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2013/04/mapping-britain

I'm amazed that someone finally figured out how to make a population representative map that didn't look like a malignant tumor. Also why does the map leave off the northern Irish?

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Dusseldorf posted:

I'm amazed that someone finally figured out how to make a population representative map that didn't look like a malignant tumor. Also why does the map leave off the northern Irish?

I'd assume because NI doesn't conform to the Labour/Conservative/Liberal split which occurs on the mainland. It has lots of its own smaller parties.

twoot fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 21, 2013

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

eSports Chaebol posted:

It's believed that at one point more Yoopers spoke Cornish than people in Cornwall.

I just learned that a couple of months ago at a Celtic language conference here in Brittany. poo poo blew my mind because the Cornish dude who told me that and I were speaking Breton and in Breton I don't really have an identifiably American accent despite being born and raised in Michigan, but at first I thought he was just kinda loving with me.

Breton speakers as a percentage of the population.

Map of the "linguistic border" since 900 AD, although this isn't quite accurate as Breton was spoken as far east as Bourc'h Batz (Batz-sur-Mer in French) in the Loire Atlantique until the 1950s and the last speaker of that dialect died only recently.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

twoot posted:

I'd assume because NI doesn't conform to the Labour/Conservative/Liberal split which occurs on the mainland. It has lots of its own smaller parties.

Yeah, the three major parties don't run candidates at all there.

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

The Monkey Man posted:

This is an awesome map. I wonder when that map was developed. Had to be well after the war, no?

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

The Monkey Man posted:

Did off the shelf East German TVs pick up West German broadcasts?

Edit: Besides Radio Free Europe type broadcasts specifically for Eastern audiences.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
A currently relevant politically-loaded map:

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Dusseldorf posted:

Did off the shelf East German TVs pick up West German broadcasts?

Edit: Besides Radio Free Europe type broadcasts specifically for Eastern audiences.

The DDR didn't officially ban its citizens from watching West German TV until 1973, but even then, they didn't enforce it that much. Compare that to North Korea, where TVs and radios have their dials fixed so they can only receive the government stations.

LP97S
Apr 25, 2008
The other reason is that while East and West Germany used different standards (SECAM and PAL respectively), they could still be received easily with black and white broadcasts and eventually decoders for PAL to SECAM were manufactured and eventually even built into standard on East German television. On the other hand South Korea (Along with Japan, Taiwan, the Philipines, and North America at least) used NTSC (switched to ATSC four months ago) while North Korea uses PAL.

Angiepants
May 8, 2008
The end result of the Berlin Conference.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Angiepants posted:

The end result of the Berlin Conference.

Post the best horribly stupid European-imposed colonial borders!

I'm particularly fond of the Congo Pedicle

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

The Monkey Man posted:

Yeah, the three major parties don't run candidates at all there.

Though the UUP is affiliated with the Tories and I believe the SDLP actually take the Labour whip at Westminster.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Soviet Commubot posted:

I just learned that a couple of months ago at a Celtic language conference here in Brittany. poo poo blew my mind because the Cornish dude who told me that and I were speaking Breton and in Breton I don't really have an identifiably American accent despite being born and raised in Michigan, but at first I thought he was just kinda loving with me.

To be fair, it is easy not to have an identifiable accent in a language no one speaks. I mean, no one hears my American accent when I speak Kemetic.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

To be fair, it is easy not to have an identifiable accent in a language no one speaks. I mean, no one hears my American accent when I speak Kemetic.

I know you're just shitposting here because you're mad about moonspeak or whatever, but there are about 200,000 people who speak Breton and I speak Breton more often than I speak either French or English.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

BOWLES'S EUROPEAN GEOGRAPHICAL AMUSEMENT (or a Game of Geoography)
Designed 1795.

quote:

DIRECTIONS for PLAYING

Two or more Ladies or Gentlemen having agreed to make an elegant and instructive tour of EUROPE, are represented by Pillars and play the Game according to the following Rules:
  • Take the Totum and mark it on the sides from 1 to 8.
  • Every Traveller is to have one Pillar, and four Counters of the same colour.
  • Each Person is to spin the Totum once, observing who has the highest number, as that determines who is to play fist.
  • Begin play by spinning the Totum; if it turns up 4, place your Pillar on that number, Orleans; when it is your turn to spin again, if it comes up 6, then add 6 to 4, and travel to 10, Rochfort.
  • Read the description of each place you arrive at, and follow the directors there given.
  • When you are directed to play one or more turns, lay down so many Counters, as memorandums thereof, taking up one of them again every time you omit spinning, till they are all got back, and they spin again in your turn.
  • When you arrive at a station occupied by another, you are to go forward to the next vacant one.
  • As often as you exceed 102 you must go back to 81 Bergen and spin again in turn, till some one is so fortunate as to arrive at London (the GAME) and consequently become entitled to the applause of the company and honor of being esteemed the best instructed and speediest traveler in EUROPE.

ENTERED AT STATIONER’s HALL
1. CALAIS, the key of France, lost by the bigoted Queen Mary.
2. ROUEN, capital of Normandy, where the famous Maid of Orleans was burnt in 1430.
3. PARIS, capital of France; stay 2 turns to contemplate the New French Constitution, to view the Palace of Versailles, and site the Bastille demolished in 1789.
4. ORLEANS, capital of the Orleanois; here the traveler will be shown a brazen statue of the famous Maid of Orleans.
5. BLOIS, a pleasant town upon the Loire; here flay two turns, and learn to speak the French language in its purity.
6. RENNES, the capital of Britany
7. ST. MALO, a sea-port town of Britany; in war time a nest of privateers.
8. BRES, the principal sea-port of France; stay one turn to view its fortifications and dock yards.
9. NANTES, a sea-port town of Britany, famous for its brandy trade, and the edict of Henry IV. For establishing the Protestant religion, repealed by Lewis XIV
10. ROCHFORT, a sea-port town in Guienne.
11 BOURDEAUX, a capital of Guienne, where the traveler stays one turn to regale himself with good claret.
12. BAYONNE, a sea-port town in Gascony, famous for its hams.
13. BURGOS, the capital of Old Castile
14. MADRID, capital of Spain; here you must be imprisoned for four turns in the Inquisition, if before your arrival it should not have shared the fate of the Bastile.
15. SALAMANCA, a town in Spain, famous for its university.
16. OPORTO, a sea-port town in Portugal; noted for its wine trade
17. LISBON, capital of Portugal; stay one turn to talk with Count D’Oyeras, on the subject of Portuguese gratitude.
18. SEVILLE, capital of Andalusia, noted for oranged.
19. CADIZ, key of the Spanish commerce; land to see the king’s dock yards, but when you put to sea again beware of the bilboes.
20. GIBRALTAR, a sea-port in Andalusia, taken by the English in 1704; on account of the late gallant defense of this garrison by the brave Eliot, lord Heathfield of glorious memory, the traveler may step forward to Turin, 37.
21. MALAGA, a sea-port town in Spain, famous for its wine trade
22. GRANADA, the capital of a province of that name.
23. CARTHEGENA, a sea-port in Spain.
24. VALENCIA, the capital of a province of that name in Spain; stay one turn to examine into the state of the silk manufactures.
25. MINORCA, an island in the Mediterranean, famous for its excellent harbor, and fine honey.
26. BARCELONA, the capital of Catalonia.
27. PERPIGNAN, the capital of Rousillon, the subject to France.
28. NARBONNE, a city in Languedoc; stay one turn to view the antiquities of this place, and the royal canal.
29. MONTEPELIER, noted for falubrity of air and cheapness of provisions, will not doubt induce the traveler to flop two turns, to repair his constitution and restore finance.
30. MARSEILLES, a sea-port town of Provence, and principal of the French trade to the Levant.
31. TOULON, a sea-port town of Provence; stay one turn to see its fine harbour and the royal dock yards.
32. LYONS, capital of the Lyonnois.
33. DIJON, the capital of Burgandy, famous for its excellent wines.
34. BASIL, a town in Switzerland; stay one turn to view the library of the great Erasmus, who died here, in 1536.
35. BERN, capital of the largest canton in Switzerland.
36. GENEVA, the birth place and residence of the learned John Calvin.
37. TURIN, capital of the kingdom of Sardinia; stay two turns to visit the court, and the university.
38. MILAN, capital of the duchy of that name; famous for the church and library of St. Ambrose.
39. MANTUA, the capital of the duchy of that name; stay one turn in honour of the Mantuan poet, Baptista Mantana.
40. VENICE; the capital of the republic of that name, furnamed the rich; stay three turns to partake the diversions of the carnival, and congratulate the Doge on his nuptials with the Adriatic sea.
41. FERRARA, once a flourishing city, but greatly on the decline, since it became subject to the pope. This being so unfortunate a place, the traveler must turn back to 7. St. Malo.
42. PARMA, the capital of the ducky of that name, is possessed of the finest theatre in Italy.
43. GENOA, capital of the republic of that name; surnamed the proud, from its grand buildings; here the traveler must stay four turns, and then go back to Rouen, 3. On account of the cruelty of the Genoese to the Corsicians.
44. LEGHORN, a sea-port town of great trade in Tuscany.
45. CORSICA, an Island in the Mediterranean, celebrated for its long struggle with the Genoese, in the glorious cause of liberty.
46. FLORENCE, surnamed the fair, capital of the grand dukedom of Tuscany.
47. SIENNA, a town in Tuscany; stay two turns and learn to speak pure Italian.
48. VITERBO, a handsome town in the pope’s territories.
49. ROME, once mistress of the world, but now only capital of the Pope’s dominions; stay two turns to view its curiosities, and reflect on the abuses of papal government.
50. NAPLES, a capital of the kingdom of that name, beware of the Lava of mount Vesuvius
51. SCYLLA, a famous rock on the Calabrian shore, where the traveler being shipwrecked, loses the chance of the game.
52. MESSINA, a sea-port town in Sicily, lately destroyed by an earthquake.
53. PALERMO, capital of the island of Sicily; on your way to Syracuse, see the famous volcano, mount Etna.
54. SYRACUSE, a very ancient town, once a flourishing state in Sicily; stay one turn to see the cave of Dionysus the tyrant the burying-place of Archimedes and the fountain Arethusa.
55. MALTA, a famous island, residence of the grand matter of the kings of St. John on Jerusalem.
56. ATHENS, a town in Greece; stay two turns to view the antiquities of this once celebrated feat of learning.
57. SALONICHI, formerly Thessalonica, the capital of Macedon, a town of good trade; where the traveler will pay a visit to the English consul.
58. CONSTANTINOPLE, the capital of the Turkish empire, and the residence of grand seigniors stay one turn to see Santa Sophia.
59. ADRIANOPLE, a large city of Turkey in Europe.
60. BELGRADE, a town in Servia, subjected to the Turks.
61. BUDA, capital of lower Hungary
62. PRESBURG, capital of Hungary
63. VIENNA, capital of Austria and residence of the emperor of Germany; stay one turn to view the fortications.
64. MUNICH, capital of the electorate of Bavaria.
65. AUSBURG, an imperial city in Swabia, where the protestant princes presented their consession of faith in 1530.
66. RATISBON, a town in Bavaria, and feat of the imperial diet.
67. NUREMBERG, an imperial city in Franconia; stay one turn to see the regalia of the emperor.
68. PRAGUE, capital of Bohemia; stay one turn to see its rich cathedral and fine bridge.
69. BRESLAW, capital of Silesia.
70. CRACOW, a large city in Poland.
71. WARSAW, capital of Poland; here the traveler must stay two turns and go back to Cadiz, 19, on account of the Poles calling in the Turks, and persecuting the Dissidents.
72. DANTZICK, a sea-port of great trade in Poland.
73. KONIGBERG, capital of the Kingdom of Prussia.
74. MITTAU, capital of Courland
75. MOSCOW, second city of Russia.
76. ST PETERSBURGH, capital of Russia; stay one turn to view this city, founded by Peter the Great.
77. ARCHANGEL, a sea-port of Russia, on the White Sea.
78. STORNEA, a town in Swedish Lapland, where the French Mathematicians measured a degree of the Arctic circle.
79. STOCKHOLM, capital of Sweden.
80. FREDERICKSHALL, a town in Norway; stay one turn to lament the fate of Charles XII of Sweden, killed here by a cannon ball in 1717.
81. BERGEN, capital of Norway.
82. COPENHAGEN, capital of Denmark.
83. HAMBURG, an imperial city, famous for its extensive commerce.
84. STRELITZ; stay two turns to view the duke’s fine palace, and the pretty town of Mirow, where her Majesty Queen Charolette was born.
85. BERLIN, capital of the king of Prussia’s German dominions.
86. DRESDEN, capital of the electorate of Saxony; stay one turn to view the cabinet of curiosities, called Kunst Kammer.
87. LEIPSICK, a town in Saxony, famous for its two annual fairs; stay one turn to view the field of battle where the great Guslavus Adolphus was slain in 1632.
88. HANOVER, capital of the British king’s German dominions: this being a fortunate number, the traveler will be moved to Brussels, 99.
89. OSNABRUCK, capital of the bishopric of Westphalia; stay one turn to view the palace of his Royal Highness Frederick Duke of York, present bishop of that see.
90. CASSEL, capital of the land-graviate of Hesse: remarkable for its palace and the cascade at Weissen Stein.
91. FRANKFORT, an imperial city on the river Maine: famous for its two annual fairs.
92. MENTZ, capital of the electorate of that name, and birth place of John Guttenberg, who invented the art of printing in 1450.
93. COLOGNE, capital of the electorate of that name.
94. DUSSELDORP, town subject to the elector Palatine.
95. AMSTERDAM, capital of Holland; stay three turns to view that stadthouse, the arsenal, and the sardom.
96. HAGUE, the finest village in the world, and feat of the States General; stay one turn to see Scheveling and the house in the wood.
97. ROTTERDAM, the second city in Holland. The traveler must go back to Naples, 50 least his modals be corrupted by the smugglers of this place.
98. ANTWERP, a fine city in the Austrian Netherlands.
99. BRUSSELS, capital of the Austrian Netherlands; stay one turn to see Charles’s curious cabinet.
100. LISLE, capital of French Flanders.
101. OSTEND, a sea-port town in Austrian Flanders; from hence a packet boat to Dover.
102. LONDON, capital of England, THE GAME.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 21, 2013

Panas
Nov 1, 2009

Follow up on the east germany talk. Guess what city this is...

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Berlin.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
A fried of mine posted that Berlin pic too, saying that you could tell the east from space based on the chemical composition of its light bulbs, which for some reason hadn't changed since reunification.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT
Similarly:

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

http://robertspage.com/dialects.html

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

QuoProQuid posted:

BOWLES'S EUROPEAN GEOGRAPHICAL AMUSEMENT (or a Game of Geoography)
Designed 1795.

43. GENOA, capital of the republic of that name; surnamed the proud, from its grand buildings; here the traveler must stay four turns, and then go back to Rouen, 3. On account of the cruelty of the Genoese to the Corsicians.

45. CORSICA, an Island in the Mediterranean, celebrated for its long struggle with the Genoese, in the glorious cause of liberty.

Genoa :argh:

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

A much better map:

http://aschmann.net/AmEng/

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Panas posted:

Some things soviet block did right - sodium vapor lamps of the east are superior to mercury lamps of the west :smugbert:

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Kurtofan posted:

Genoa :argh:

The glowing compliments toward Corsica might be because the island's government petitioned England for annexation about a year after the map was made.

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

quote:

They sometimes call doughnuts cymbals, simballs, and boil cakes.

:confused:

I've never heard anyone ever call a doughnut anything but a doughtnut and I've never not lived in New England.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pyromancer posted:

Some things soviet block did right - sodium vapor lamps of the east are superior to mercury lamps of the west :smugbert:
A lot of that warm yellow glow over East Berlin is gas lighting, not sodium vapor.

There's an ongoing plan to get them replaced with more efficient lighting, like LEDs specifically designed to mirror the color of the old gas lamps.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/26/16017872-warm-glow-of-berlins-beautiful-gas-streetlights-set-to-fade

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Soviet Commubot, I've been wondering: how did you as an American from Michigan end up with the language revival efforts in Brittany?

quote:

The United States of Greater Austria (German: Vereinigte Staaten von Groß-Österreich) was a proposal, conceived by a group of scholars surrounding the Austrian Archduke Franz Ferdinand, that never came to pass. This specific proposal was conceived by Aurel Popovici in 1906.

As the twentieth century started to unfold, the greatest problem facing the dual monarchy of Austria-Hungary was that it consisted of about a dozen distinctly different ethnic groups, of which only two, the Germans and Hungarians (who together accounted for about 44% of the total population), wielded any power or control. The other ethnic groups, which were not involved in the state affairs, were consisted of Italians, Romanians and a group of Slavic peoples (Croatians, Czechs, Poles, Ruthenians, Serbs, Slovaks, Slovenes and Ukrainians). Among them, only Croats had limited autonomy in the Kingdom of Croatia and Slavonia. The idea of the Dual Monarchy system of 1867 had been to split the previous Austrian Empire into two realms, one German-dominated, the other Hungarian-dominated. However, after various demonstrations, uprisings and acts of terrorism, it became readily apparent that the notion of two ethnic groups dominating the other ten could not survive in perpetuum.

Franz Ferdinand had planned to redraw the map of Austria-Hungary radically, creating a number of ethnically and linguistically dominated semi-autonomous "states" which would all be part of a larger confederation renamed the United States of Greater Austria. Under this plan, language and cultural identification was encouraged, and the disproportionate balance of power would be corrected. The idea was set to encounter heavy opposition from the Hungarian part of the Dual Monarchy, since a direct result of the reform would have been a significant territorial loss for Hungary.

However, the Archduke was assassinated at Sarajevo in 1914, triggering the outbreak of the First World War. After the war Austria-Hungary was dismantled and several new nation states were created, and various Austro-Hungarian territories were ceded to neighbouring countries by the victorious Entente powers.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Panas posted:

What the hell, I had a smaller version of this picture as my desktop background for a good while and never even noticed the difference in color. Then again, I've never noticed it from a ground level perspective either.

Guavanaut posted:

A lot of that warm yellow glow over East Berlin is gas lighting, not sodium vapor.

There's an ongoing plan to get them replaced with more efficient lighting, like LEDs specifically designed to mirror the color of the old gas lamps.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/26/16017872-warm-glow-of-berlins-beautiful-gas-streetlights-set-to-fade

Pretty sure that's not a east/west thing, though. There's plenty of gas lighting in West Berlin.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Soviet Commubot posted:

I know you're just shitposting here because you're mad about moonspeak or whatever, but there are about 200,000 people who speak Breton and I speak Breton more often than I speak either French or English.

Seriously though, how identifiable is an American accent in Breton? How often do Breton speakers hear any accent other than a French one? Is an American accent in Breton distinguishable from a British or Australian one? I learned Occitan/Catalan years ago, and no one could identify my accent as American either. It's because most people in Perpinya or Girona had never met an American who spoke their language before.

TheImmigrant fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Apr 21, 2013

HighClassSwankyTime
Jan 16, 2004

Soviet Commubot posted:

The question's been asked before but I'm really curious what an American is doing in France who identifies with Breton nationalists and is also a socialist. How to people react when you're being an activist for the Breton cause, as a friend or unwanted interference?

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

He's not talking about sodium vapor in the air, he's referring to the gas used in the lamp. Yellow street lights are almost always high pressure sodium lamps, old school low pressure sodium lamps are yellower and larger. The white-ish light is produced by mercury vapor lamps or newer metal halide lamps that you might see lighting parking lots in the US. HPS lamps are brighter per watt than metal halide or mercury vapor because they don't try to put out a full(er) spectrum of light.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

HighClassSwankyTime posted:

The question's been asked before but I'm really curious what an American is doing in France who identifies with Breton nationalists and is also a socialist. How to people react when you're being an activist for the Breton cause, as a friend or unwanted interference?

A lot of European-Americans try to make an active effort to understand and preserve their heritage. If you're British or French or whatever you probably know in a general sense where your ancestors came from, but many Americans have no idea where they came from beyond "I'm white, and all my grandparents were born here". People want to know where they came from and want to preserve that heritage, and when you are far away from where your ancestors were, you need to make an active effort to do that. A corollary issue is the fact that it's almost impossible to trace the heritage of an African-American beyond "Well, your ancestor may have been owned by John Smith, who ran a plantation in South Carolina."

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

duodenum posted:

He's not talking about sodium vapor in the air, he's referring to the gas used in the lamp. Yellow street lights are almost always high pressure sodium lamps, old school low pressure sodium lamps are yellower and larger. The white-ish light is produced by mercury vapor lamps or newer metal halide lamps that you might see lighting parking lots in the US. HPS lamps are brighter per watt than metal halide or mercury vapor because they don't try to put out a full(er) spectrum of light.
I'm not implying that there's any sodium vapor in the air, just that a large amount of street lighting in Berlin is gaslight due to the Soviet reillumination program post-WW2, and that there has been opposition to them being replaced even though they're inefficient and have high CO2 emissions. One of the suggested solutions is an LED replacement with a similar color to the gaslights.

menino
Jul 27, 2006

Pon De Floor
Gangs of Chicago

Now:

And then:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Konstantin posted:

A lot of European-Americans try to make an active effort to understand and preserve their heritage. If you're British or French or whatever you probably know in a general sense where your ancestors came from, but many Americans have no idea where they came from beyond "I'm white, and all my grandparents were born here". People want to know where they came from and want to preserve that heritage, and when you are far away from where your ancestors were, you need to make an active effort to do that. A corollary issue is the fact that it's almost impossible to trace the heritage of an African-American beyond "Well, your ancestor may have been owned by John Smith, who ran a plantation in South Carolina."

Not even just European-Americans, it's pretty true of immigrants the world over. And you're being pretty gracious about it "make an active effort to understand and preserve their heritage" :v:, but expatriates and descendants of immigrants are as a rule ridiculously irrational about everything to do with their home nation. Terrorist groups like the IRA and LTTE are primarily funded by descendents of immigrants rather than people actually having to live with them day to day, for instance.

I say this as an irrational expatriate; I get so much angrier at criticism of my home country now than I did when I was actually living there.

So yeah being an American wouldn't really tangle with being Breton.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Guavanaut posted:

I'm not implying that there's any sodium vapor in the air, just that a large amount of street lighting in Berlin is gaslight due to the Soviet reillumination program post-WW2, and that there has been opposition to them being replaced even though they're inefficient and have high CO2 emissions. One of the suggested solutions is an LED replacement with a similar color to the gaslights.

I see what you're saying, they are literal gas powered lamps.