Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shark Attack!
Nov 2, 2006
__/\_____\o/___
He wasn't let go because "he had no chef experience", he was let go because they gave him a chance and he hosed it up.

They would have known about his lack of experience before they hired him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Hyzenth1ay posted:

Because the kind of fellow over the age of eight who can't tell the difference between "lend" and "borrow" knows that no spelling or grammar checker on earth will save him from being bad at writing :(

"Mom had told Danny three weeks ago to lend the money from me to pay her."
Maybe Danny had already borrowed the money but he needed it for something else so the Mom was offering to pay him back what he used to repay her for the money he'd borrowed from her previously. Which even if true I'm certain there are simpler ways he could've said that.

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax

Shark Attack! posted:

He wasn't let go because "he had no chef experience", he was let go because they gave him a chance and he hosed it up.

Exactly. They knew he had zero restaurant experience when they first interviewed him.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Look on my Posts, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away
Why have you not applied to the hospital where your aunt works?

Also, http://www.opm.gov. The application process is tedious, but honestly what else do you have to do?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
OP: You made mention of teaching English abroad as an option but I didn't see a follow-up. What do you think? It won't get you out of the house inside of a month but it would see you wholly removed from present context.

Shark Attack! posted:

Sounds like they canned him for obliviously plodding along.

See:

Benny the Snake posted:

My job is going well. For the past couple of days, I've been closing. It's not hard work, but at the same time I'm working slow. ... But it's a bit discontenting to see other employees out-pace me. Really most of it is figuring out where things go and how they want things done. I can say with confidence that I'm doing the best I can. ...

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Apr 20, 2013

Dr. Lariat
Jul 1, 2004

by Lowtax

Accretionist posted:

OP: You made mention of teaching English abroad as an option but I didn't see a follow-up. What do you think? It won't get you out of the house inside of a month but it would see you wholly removed from present context.

I'm mostly certain teaching English abroad typically requires start up costs such as airfare to get your rear end abroad. May depend on the company but I think that's usually the case. And although I hate dumping on Benny so badly, but after losing two low/no skill jobs after day 1 I find it really strange that anyone would suggest he go to a foreign country all by himself, who would cook dinner and wash his clothes for him?

Dr. Lariat fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 20, 2013

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Dr. Lariat posted:

I'm mostly certain teaching English abroad typically requires start up costs such as airfare to get your rear end abroad. May depend on the company but I think that's usually the case. And although I hate dumping on Benny so badly, but after losing two low/no skill jobs after day 1 I find it really strange that anyone would suggest he go to a foreign country all by himself, who would cook dinner and wash his clothes for him?
Riiiiight, poo poo. However, last I checked (This could have changed with their president or just over the intervening years - it's been a while) S. Korea in particular was good to applicants. They have a state sponsored program that's basically designed to hoover up white people and where, while the ensuing work expectations and experience substantially vary with placement, they do a lot to help out like covering airfare, locating housing, working with you on setting up a bank account, etc.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

South Korea may not be the best option right what with North Korea being all crazy like. :)

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
How about security, Benny? Where I live they're basically always hiring and the only real requirements are "don't be a felon or on drugs". Tell them you're willing to do night shift, and then spend time writing/doing freelance stuff. I did it when I was in school and it's probably the hardest job to gently caress up that I can imagine.

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

Meow Tse-tung posted:

How about security, Benny? Where I live they're basically always hiring and the only real requirements are "don't be a felon or on drugs". Tell them you're willing to do night shift, and then spend time writing/doing freelance stuff.

Benny Blart, Mall Cop.

Benny, I'm getting the impression that you're an awkward and uncoordinated dude. Is this true? Have you ever played a sport?

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So I guess I have a bit of explaining to do.

On Wednesday I went to my job to clear things up with my boss, since I was afraid that I might be laid off soon. And this is what he told me. He said that on day one it was clear to him that I wasn't experienced enough to work in a fast paced kitchen. And to be fair, I'm not. Most of my work experience is based in fast food, not in a restaurant setting. He said he hoped that I could instead work closing, but they had a designated closer already. They had no room for me. If I had applied a month earlier, they would of had me working as a cashier maybe, but at this point all of the positions I could conceivably work were filled. He made no mention about how I used a spatula instead of a rag to cook the zucchini and I'm confident that wasn't why he let me go. He didn't point it out and I didn't feel like asking. In retrospect I probably should have. He said that he liked my energy: how I showed up on time, ready to work, and immersed myself fully into the tasks at hand. So I asked him if I could use him as a reference and he said that not only could I but he'd lie for me. He'd tell prospective employers that I actually worked there for six months. If this man was dissatisfied with my work effort, why would he offer to lie for me? Why would he allow me to use him as a reference in the first place? Granted I only worked for a week, but by asking him if I could use him as a reference it was my way of seeing what he really thought of me. He even told me to check in a month to see if there were any positions open. I made a very good impression on the man.

So yeah I'm back to square one. But at the same time, I feel good about myself. If it wasn't for circumstances, I would've held on to that job. There's another restaurant, El Pescador, that's hiring for dishwashers. There was a huge banner outside of the door that said in Spanish "Now hiring for dishwashers." I applied there earlier this month, so I'm very relived that I have my foot in the door. Jack in the Box held interviews last week and they've already hired people. I went back to McDonald's today and a head manager took down my name and number for the umpteenth time-said he'd look me up and let the hiring manager know immediately. Above all else, I'm going to call these places on a daily basis until I either get an interview or if I'm turned down. I feel much better about my prospects now. The fact that I held on to a job for a week and still made a great impression shows me that I'm very much hire-able.

Oh and while I'm here: I'm gonna start calling plant nurseries again come Monday when the work week starts, as well as every one of the places that I'm following up. And I never thought about working security either-I'll look into that too right now.

EDIT: for those who ask, Cesar is the guy who's closing and he's family. Not much I can do about nepotism.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Apr 20, 2013

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Cool story brah.

Why did you not apply at the hospital where your aunt works?

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Benny the Snake posted:

Granted I only worked for a month, .

Did I miss something? I thought it was one day.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

cda posted:

Did I miss something? I thought it was one day.
I caught that. I meant a week.

Thora posted:

Why did you not apply at the hospital where your aunt works?
Last time I checked there wasn't any administrative positions open. I'm gonna check again right now.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Benny the Snake posted:

I caught that. I meant a week.
Last time I checked there wasn't any administrative positions open. I'm gonna check again right now.

You know there are kitchens, janitorial staff, housekeeping people, shops in a hospital right? For christssakes dude help yourself.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Benny the Snake posted:

I made a very good impression on the man.
I'm sure you did.

You didn't have the speed. Cooks cook fast and to standard. That's the job. Speed and consistency. By your own description you didn't have the speed.

It is hard work if you do it right.

For context: I worked in an upper mid-range franchise for a month before burning out (Dish during week, salad/fry/desert fri/sat) and then spent a year working as a grill man/cashier in a quick service joint where everything is cooked to order on a flat top.

Edit: I'll spell out the sub-text - Don't make excuses to yourself. That's a problem. If you feel you need to, that's two problems.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 20, 2013

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax

ClemenSalad posted:

You know there are kitchens, janitorial staff, housekeeping people, shops in a hospital right? For christssakes dude help yourself.

He's too good for those jobs. They're for lowly plebs who don't have college degrees.
*gets fired from restaurant gig for being incompetent*

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Benny the Snake posted:

So I guess I have a bit of explaining to do.

On Wednesday I went to my job to clear things up with my boss, since I was afraid that I might be laid off soon. And this is what he told me. He said that on day one it was clear to him that I wasn't experienced enough to work in a fast paced kitchen. And to be fair, I'm not. Most of my work experience is based in fast food, not in a restaurant setting. He said he hoped that I could instead work closing, but they had a designated closer already. They had no room for me. If I had applied a month earlier, they would of had me working as a cashier maybe, but at this point all of the positions I could conceivably work were filled. He made no mention about how I used a spatula instead of a rag to cook the zucchini and I'm confident that wasn't why he let me go. He didn't point it out and I didn't feel like asking. In retrospect I probably should have. He said that he liked my energy: how I showed up on time, ready to work, and immersed myself fully into the tasks at hand. So I asked him if I could use him as a reference and he said that not only could I but he'd lie for me. He'd tell prospective employers that I actually worked there for six months. If this man was dissatisfied with my work effort, why would he offer to lie for me? Why would he allow me to use him as a reference in the first place? Granted I only worked for a week, but by asking him if I could use him as a reference it was my way of seeing what he really thought of me. He even told me to check in a month to see if there were any positions open. I made a very good impression on the man.

So yeah I'm back to square one. But at the same time, I feel good about myself. If it wasn't for circumstances, I would've held on to that job. There's another restaurant, El Pescador, that's hiring for dishwashers. There was a huge banner outside of the door that said in Spanish "Now hiring for dishwashers." I applied there earlier this month, so I'm very relived that I have my foot in the door. Jack in the Box held interviews last week and they've already hired people. I went back to McDonald's today and a head manager took down my name and number for the umpteenth time-said he'd look me up and let the hiring manager know immediately. Above all else, I'm going to call these places on a daily basis until I either get an interview or if I'm turned down. I feel much better about my prospects now. The fact that I held on to a job for a week and still made a great impression shows me that I'm very much hire-able.

Oh and while I'm here: I'm gonna start calling plant nurseries again come Monday when the work week starts, as well as every one of the places that I'm following up. And I never thought about working security either-I'll look into that too right now.

EDIT: for those who ask, Cesar is the guy who's closing and he's family. Not much I can do about nepotism.

Oh good so you didn't learn anything. Come on dude. Would you at least consider the possibility that maybe you don't know everything? Multiple people have told you the way you acted in the kitchen caused or at least contributed to why you were fired. Maybe the people in this thread who have actually held a job as an adult actually know something more than you.

I really think the person who asked you about having autism was onto something. It's not even that you are clueless about getting a job you are clueless about basic human interaction. The restaurant manager was going to try and be as non confrontational as possible. He isn't interested in helping you find work he wants you to stop bothering him about why you were fired.

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

Leave the English degree off your resume, take the guy up on his offer of 6 months experience, and apply for dietary. Or housekeeping. Or ANYTHING.

And "I don't know CPR/I'm not vaccinated/Mercury is in retrograde" isn't going to fly as an excuse. If you NEED training or vaccinations, the hospital WILL provide them.

Really dude, it's time to pull your head out of your rear end. Have you read Kitchen Confidential? You got the boot from a job after ONE SHIFT that people with crack and heroin addictions are able to hold down for extended periods of time.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Thora posted:

Leave the English degree off your resume, take the guy up on his offer of 6 months experience, and apply for dietary. Or housekeeping. Or ANYTHING.

And "I don't know CPR/I'm not vaccinated/Mercury is in retrograde" isn't going to fly as an excuse. If you NEED training or vaccinations, the hospital WILL provide them.

Really dude, it's time to pull your head out of your rear end. Have you read Kitchen Confidential? You got the boot from a job after ONE SHIFT that people with crack and heroin addictions are able to hold down for extended periods of time.
Actually, checking right now the only entry level position is food service and I'm applying to it. Not even a janitorial position open-everything else requires a medical or engineering degree. My neighborhood hospital is tiny. I'm going to look into other hospitals on top of that.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Being crappy and/or slow at kitchen jobs generally results in getting fewer hours. I don't think I've ever seen anybody get fired, ever. Managers just schedule fewer and fewer hours and the other kitchen workers make life miserable until the problem employee quits. Offering to lie as a reference is pretty weird too. Maybe Benny stumbled upon a bleeding heart manager who took a chance on a charity case?

I'm going to second the request for video of Benny. There's got to be something else going on here.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Why would you even ask to use someone you worked for once, for a day, as a reference? Maybe it was just sarcasm. If someone asked me after an unsuccessful trial shift if they could use me as a reference I might well say "Sure kid. I'll say you worked here 6 months yeah?" sarcastically.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Masonity posted:

Why would you even ask to use someone you worked for once, for a day, as a reference? Maybe it was just sarcasm. If someone asked me after an unsuccessful trial shift if they could use me as a reference I might well say "Sure kid. I'll say you worked here 6 months yeah?" sarcastically.
I said earlier: it was my way of checking his attitude towards me. Since he said what he said in spite of how I only worked for him for a week, I'm inclined to say that he was genuine. He owed me nothing. He told me that this industry is a very fast paced one and his reason for letting me go was because he was overstaffed in all other positions and I wasn't experienced enough to be a line cook.

The place is a Mexican grill that opened here in Chino about a year ago. It's a tiny family owned restaurant with a 40 person occupancy. My boss didn't have the resources or time to teach me to be a cook because it's a tiny place and they don't have the overhead. See, I was being obtuse this whole time to all of you is because on top of my neurosis, I also happen to be very paranoid. I expected him to tell me that I was a terrible worker. I expected him to lie to me. But as far as I'm concerned, he was honest with me. I might not look like it here on this thread, but I'm fairly able to tell when somebody's lying to me. I'm an honest person and as much as I'd like other people to be honest with me back, I'm very much aware that people aren't honest as I am. I might be naive but I am by no means stupid. After running it in my head and talking with others, I can say that what Able told me was the truth. What he didn't tell me was what I already know. I didn't follow orders and I wasn't fast enough.

I should've used a rag instead of the spatula. I was worried about my personal safety using a rag over open flame. But because I asked to use something else, I made myself look obstinate. I realize this and know now that I'm supposed to follow orders even if it doesn't look safe if it means I can hold on to a job.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Apr 21, 2013

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
People who run successful restaurants don't hire people with no experience if they don't have time to train them, unless its a job that they expect any idiot off the street to pick up instantly.

As for asking to gauge his reaction / opinion of you, even asking after a week would destroy any opinion I had of you if I was the boss. That said, I wouldn't hire someone then not need them in a couple of days unless I had a pretty dire confidence in their ability to do anything...

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Masonity posted:

People who run successful restaurants don't hire people with no experience if they don't have time to train them, unless its a job that they expect any idiot off the street to pick up instantly.

As for asking to gauge his reaction / opinion of you, even asking after a week would destroy any opinion I had of you if I was the boss. That said, I wouldn't hire someone then not need them in a couple of days unless I had a pretty dire confidence in their ability to do anything...
The owner asked me if I had any restaurant experience. I told him I only had fast food experience and no restaurant experience, but I cooked at home.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Apr 21, 2013

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Benny the Snake posted:

edit: Granted I only worked for a month,

Benny the Snake posted:

edit: Granted I only worked for a week,

I don't care if you're lying to other people about your work experience, but please don't lie to yourself.

You lost the job because you were slow. Because you felt this way:

Benny the Snake posted:

My job is going well. For the past couple of days, I've been closing. It's not hard work, but at the same time I'm working slow. Of course, I've been out of work for so long I'm rusty. But it's a bit discontenting to see other employees out-pace me. Really most of it is figuring out where things go and how they want things done. I can say with confidence that I'm doing the best I can.

You need to understand that you did not get the job because you were not good enough. The effort you put in and the results you got were not good enough to keep the job. You will need to do better at the next job you land, and to do that, you need to recognize that as a fact, internalize it, and take steps to improve.

If you want that dishwasher job, you should probably spend this week washing dishes. Crank the water a little hotter and time yourself to wash them a little faster every day. It's not really the same work, but at the very least the experience will hopefully condition you to get into the groove of attempting self improvement.

e: something that should probably be said,

A lot of people (myself included) have talked about these sorts of menial jobs as being hard as hell to gently caress up, dirt simple, etc. It is clear that they aren't for you. That's OK. They will get easier, but you need to push yourself for a while, you need to push yourself so hard that it becomes hard work. 6 months after you've been working the job it will be a lot easier for you, but in the beginning, if something isn't incredibly challenging for you, it means you're doing it too slow.

One of the things that really helped as motivation for me at these kinds of jobs was knowing that I could slack the gently caress off once all the work was done. There was a poo poo ton of work to be done, and it was not a fixed amount, but driven by customer count, but the way I improved at making sandwiches and pizzas was by practicing and always pushing myself to BE FASTER. Once I clear the customer line, I get a moment to myself to relax and do some slower paced poo poo, etc. A lot of times, too, being faster means doing things right the first time - whether it is making sure the prep work is done properly, or doing all the steps in the proper sequential order, putting in a bit more effort for quality so the sandwich doesn't fall apart when you cut it, whatever.

While making sandwiches and pizzas was such a dirt simple job that that my idiot highschool self could do it on 3 hours of sleep eventually, that didn't mean that I didn't have a couple of weeks of ramping up to that poo poo. I think it took me 4 minutes to make a sub when I started, and I could make them in under a minute within a few weeks, because you had to be able to do that to clear the lunch rushes.

I guess what I'm saying is, don't feel ashamed that it is hard work when other people have downplayed it as simple, but also don't expect it to be simple or be satisfied with a mediocre effort.

Sigma-X fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Apr 21, 2013

Thora
Aug 21, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

Doxxes the guy giving him a chance and announces he's paranoid, but not naive or stupid

Seriously, don't drag real life names and stuff into this. It's not necessary.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Thora posted:

Duly noted.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
Edit: You fixed it!

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 21, 2013

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Sigma-X posted:

You need to understand that you did not get the job because you were not good enough. The effort you put in and the results you got were not good enough to keep the job. You will need to do better at the next job you land, and to do that, you need to recognize that as a fact, internalize it, and take steps to improve.

Also on this tangent, you'll have to really bust rear end if you get hired as a line cook and tell them you worked at the last place for six months in the same capacity. Pretty much any employer will expect someone claiming that level of experience to be able to hit the ground running on day one with little or no OTJT.

e: in other words don't make poo poo up on your resume that you can't actually do.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 21, 2013

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
Not to pile on, but the fact that you thought your job was "going well" right before before you got fired indicates you have no idea how to self-assess. If you're the new guy, your job isn't going well until you're working as fast as everyone else. If people still think of you as "the new guy" then you should consider yourself as replaceable at any moment.

Leodon
Sep 3, 2007
You have strayed far from the path of the Avatar.
I live in the IE and work at a bunch of retail places as a vendor. By far the Home Depot hires the dumbest unhandy people that are able to pass a drug test this time of year. And they are impressed with degrees, any college anything.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax
Yea I really don't see a reason to leave off your degree on a resume for most jobs. Most of these jobs are built for high turnover, they aren't trying to recruit lifers here. The overqualified handwringing makes zero sense for those types of jobs. Also the idea of that degree ( and most undergrad degrees really) making anyone overqualified for anything is hilarious to me.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Thora posted:

Benny you really should go sanitize the name of the restaurant from this post. While the risk is really small, if someone who works there happens to read that it's gonna be pretty obvious to figure out it was you, and it'd take you two seconds to clean it up.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Flesh Forge posted:

Benny you really should go sanitize the name of the restaurant from this post. While the risk is really small, if someone who works there happens to read that it's gonna be pretty obvious to figure out it was you, and it'd take you two seconds to clean it up.
I'm on it.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
So can you go to your United Way agencies to look for jobs? Goodwill facilities offer both reduced cost clothing and household goods, but also often have career centers attached to them with a group of social workers who will know of any openings in the area. Frequently when new department stores or factories or any other large company that needs to hire a large group of people quickly will pass long those types of leads to Goodwill. The social workers there will then look through their databases to see who might be qualified. They also have job fairs.
Your local Department of Labor/Unemployment office can also do this as well. The Urban League (if one is available) do all this, too.

I know I've posted this before, but have you gone to either place? What did they say? Have you returned? Did they give you any leads?

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power

ClemenSalad posted:

Also the idea of that degree ( and most undergrad degrees really) making anyone overqualified for anything is hilarious to me.

The idea, true. But to HR it really seems to be a warning sign of "This guys going to move on ASAP." I have a lovely liberal arts degree too, and I've had a LOT of interviewers spend time addressing stuff like, "This job doesn't require a degree, why are you interested and do you plan to stay with us longer than a quick stint?" kind of questions. A friend of mine also has a liberal arts degree and spent months applying to poo poo jobs. He removed the degree from his resume and started getting mcjob interviews again pretty fast.

Ern Malley
Nov 11, 2005

:d: :d: :d:
Maybe you should leave off your degree because you majoring in English seems really implausible when you make stupid mistakes like this:

Benny the Snake posted:

If I had applied a month earlier, they would of had me working as a cashier maybe,

[emphasis mine]

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
Ugh seriously, have you checked garden centers/greenhouses?! This is peak season and they need able-bodied individuals (I'm sure they favor males) to be able to move poo poo around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

Toriori posted:

Ugh seriously, have you checked garden centers/greenhouses?! This is peak season and they need able-bodied individuals (I'm sure they favor males) to be able to move poo poo around.
I did earlier but it was right around the time I got the job at the grill. I'm going to start calling them again Monday.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 21, 2013

• Locked thread