Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

To be fair when Electro first showed up in early early USM he had just the "shirt and pants" thing, I don't know why artists keep drawing him as a Ken doll version of Dr. Manhattan, as the civilian clothes thing suited him.

Color me very impressed with how Foxx looks. Hopefully the plot is worth a drat and Electro isn't just going to try and DESTROY THE CITY, because I'm really loving sick of that plot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

mind the walrus posted:

To be fair when Electro first showed up in early early USM he had just the "shirt and pants" thing, I don't know why artists keep drawing him as a Ken doll version of Dr. Manhattan, as the civilian clothes thing suited him.

Color me very impressed with how Foxx looks. Hopefully the plot is worth a drat and Electro isn't just going to try and DESTROY THE CITY, because I'm really loving sick of that plot.

I think that's the only plot Hollywood knows.

Pretty much every superhero movie is "The city/world is at peril!" No plots like Civil War, Spider Island, Ends of the Earth, or just a simple heist or overarching plotline that is a just a plan to kill the hero.

Granted, Ends of the Earth was a "The world is at peril" story, but it's still a story that's too complex for Hollywood to do. He'll probably want to destroy the city just as The Lizard did, also as Dr. Octopus and Green Goblin did in the original trilogy. I'm still not sure what Sandman, New Goblin, and Venom wanted though...they just were there to cause chaos and gently caress up the movie, I guess. :v:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sandman wanted to help is daughter (I think), and Venom/New Goblin were gunning solely for Peter.

I'd just like to see a movie where it's just organized crime using someone like Electro to pull off great heists, and the drama/climax comes from Spidey being unable to balance his life and he really loses something he can't redo (like missing an opportunity for an awesome scholarship or something, just off the top of my head).

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

He always had a costume. The electric, clothesless version was only after his costume/containment suit got confiscated. He looked like this when he first appeared:

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

ThermoPhysical posted:

Pretty much every superhero movie is "The city/world is at peril!" No plots like Civil War, Spider Island, Ends of the Earth, or just a simple heist or overarching plotline that is a just a plan to kill the hero.
A plot where the villain isn't interested in destroying the world or the city, but just in destroying and humiliating the hero....

I'm pretty sure thats Batman Forever.

Yeah, Joker wanted to gas the city, Penguin wanted to blow up the city with suicide bomber penguins (seriously, what the hell was up with that movie?) and Freeze wanted to freeze the world, and kill the survivors with his puns. But Batman Forever was just Riddler and Two Face attempting to humiliate Batman, break his spirit, and then just kill him.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

mr.capps posted:

Hopefully they are introducing so many villains so they can do a Sinister Six movie. Oh what am I kidding, there is no way they could pull that off and not have it be a mess.

That would explain why they made sure to keep Dr. Connors alive.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Fulchrum posted:

A plot where the villain isn't interested in destroying the world or the city, but just in destroying and humiliating the hero....

Yeah, Joker wanted to gas the city, Penguin wanted to blow up the city with suicide bomber penguins (seriously, what the hell was up with that movie?) and Freeze wanted to freeze the world, and kill the survivors with his puns. But Batman Forever was just Riddler and Two Face attempting to humiliate Batman, break his spirit, and then just kill him.

Penguin wanted to murder all the first born sons. Blowing poo poo up with missile penguins (not suicide bombers, they had little missile packs on their back they were going to launch) was his back up plan when that fell through. He was essentially evil Penguin Moses and Batman was Pharaoh.

And you're wrong about Batman Forever, too. Two Face and Riddler were trying to suck the brain waves out of the entire city and then world to get high on brain juice.

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TheJoker138 posted:

Penguin wanted to murder all the first born sons. Blowing poo poo up with missile penguins (not suicide bombers, they had little missile packs on their back they were going to launch) was his back up plan when that fell through. He was essentially evil Penguin Moses and Batman was Pharaoh.

And you're wrong about Batman Forever, too. Two Face and Riddler were trying to suck the brain waves out of the entire city and then world to get high on brain juice.

No, that was just a means to an end. Riddler was doing that so he could figure out who Batman was for Two Face, while at the same time getting rich and powerful enough to humiliate Bruce Wayne.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

ThermoPhysical posted:

Granted, Ends of the Earth was a "The world is at peril" story, but it's still a story that's too complex for Hollywood to do. He'll probably want to destroy the city just as The Lizard did, also as Dr. Octopus and Green Goblin did in the original trilogy. I'm still not sure what Sandman, New Goblin, and Venom wanted though...they just were there to cause chaos and gently caress up the movie, I guess. :v:

Surprisingly, Iron Man.

The entire plot is set into motion over nothing more than corporate greed combined with callous disregard for human life. The villain wasn't trying to destroy the world, and the terrorist/militia group wasn't even directly attacking the US at the time.

Even in Iron Man 2 the attention is focused on Stark and his company, not on the public. They just get caught in the cross-fire right near the end.

And seriously, I'm really disappointed that because of Sony we probably won't ever get Spiderman trading jokes with Robert Downey Jr. in and planned Avengers movies.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I mean, I think they could go the route that this guy got powers not to help people but to just seek fame and fortune. I think that would be a different take.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fulchrum posted:

It's also Skyfall.

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

But that totally wasn't my fault. You shouldn't even be able to put the car in gear with the bar open.

Mooseontheloose posted:

I mean, I think they could go the route that this guy got powers not to help people but to just seek fame and fortune. I think that would be a different take.

I, too, would love to see a Booster Gold movie, but at this point it time I think we all know he would be played by Ryan Reynolds, which may not be a good thing. Or at least a not-paint-by-numbers thing.

Ryan Gosling for Booster Gold 2014.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

I, too, would love to see a Booster Gold movie, but at this point it time I think we all know he would be played by Ryan Reynolds, which may not be a good thing. Or at least a not-paint-by-numbers thing.

Ryan Gosling for Booster Gold 2014.

Then they can do this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ifkd3x4RoOs&t=51s

Cinnamon Bastard
Dec 15, 2006

Yeah, that needs to happen. Needs.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

New shot of Electro before he turns.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Vintersorg posted:

Haha, holy poo poo.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Vintersorg posted:

Hello supernerd.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

Vintersorg posted:

Talking of Batman Forever, getting serious Edward Nygma vibes from that shot (with his shrine to Bruce Wayne at his cubicle in Wayne Enterprises)

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Haha, holy poo poo.

We're going to get Spider-Dance out of this. Where's Prince?

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

That's a DAMN fine cup of coffee.
So keen to see how they do Rhino now.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

So keen to see how they do Rhino now.

I still think Paul Giamatti should be the Rhino.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

Gatts posted:

He is.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/175277-he-amazing-spider-man-2s-latest-set-photo-teases-the-rhino-

Mark Webb twitter photo hinting to Rhino that mentions Paul Giamatti.

Edit: Also Harry Osbourne movie shot.

ExplodingSquidx2 fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Apr 22, 2013

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

It's really amazing how much better the casting is in the Webb movies.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

holy shiiiiiiit he's certainly got the vulturish face the Osbornes had in 616

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

Vintersorg posted:

He looks like Neil Hamburger.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

He is.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/175277-he-amazing-spider-man-2s-latest-set-photo-teases-the-rhino-

Hey, it's the kid from Chronicle and Place Beyond The Pines! :swoon:

This casting owns. Can't wait to see this.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Vintersorg posted:

Hold onto your butts.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ExplodingSquidx2 posted:

He is.

He looks like exactly the type of obnoxious poo poo that Harry Osborn should be.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Gatts posted:

Good God.

I couldn't have cared less about The Amazing Spider-Man but with an Electro that looks like that and now a Paul Giamatti Rhino, I think I'm actually excited for a superhero movie again.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Oh poo poo he is the Rhino! drat! I need to see this movie right the hell now! I hope they let him and give him everything to do, that has potential to be AMAZING.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
One of my professors is working in the lighting department on the film and he's been sharing some set photos and plot details.

Not sure if any of this is new but:

Jamie Foxx apparently suffers a near fatal electrical accident involving a transformer, according to my teacher he's doing an illegal tie in and that's what causes the accident

He then showed us photos of a crazy looking apparatus that I believe is how Electro gets his suit. Its a pretty nutty looking iron maiden type device he gets put into and it becomes his suit. Sort of reminded me of the tank/chamber Wolverine is put into in X2

Not sure how accurate the info is but the sets they are building are pretty great.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Apr 22, 2013

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

AccountSupervisor posted:

One of my professors is working in the lighting department on the film and he's been sharing some set photos and plot details.

Not sure if any of this is new but:

Jamie Foxx apparently suffers a near fatal electrical accident involving a transformer, according to my teacher he's doing an illegal tie in and that's what causes the accident

He then showed us photos of a crazy looking apparatus that I believe is how Electros gets his suit. Its a pretty nutty looking iron maiden type device he gets put into and it becomes his suit. Sort reminded me of the tank/chamber Wolverine is put into in X2

Not sure how accurate the info is but the sets they are building are pretty great.

For the costume it sounds fairly similar to the origin used in The Spectacular Spider-Man cartoon.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Vintersorg posted:

I am sold on this loving movie. Holy poo poo :laffo:

Diggie
Apr 6, 2008

Vintersorg posted:

Is it just me or does this look like a black Matt Damon from The Informant?

uncle blog
Nov 18, 2012

I just saw this movie, and have a need to vent. Bear with me:

I generally dig all things Spider-Man, thought a remake after an overall strong trio from Raimi was dumb, so I didn't see it until today (when I bought the super crazy 3D edition). And I mostly hated it. There are basically two problems I have with the movie. The first - and biggest - is Andrew Garfield's acting. I imagine Andrew being very popular growing up, because his interpretation of socially awkward is not convincing at all. His method is basically to whisper every word, never finish and restart every sentence three times, and constantly twitch and move your head around like your having withdrawal from drug abuse. The idea that Gwen is supposed to fall in love with him is pretty hard to believe when they share under fifty words - where most are just um's and yeah's from Peter. That's another part about Peter that bugged me; his lingo. He constantly used phrases like "yo man" and "what's up", even in situations where Martin Sheen would try to have serious conversation with him. And every time somebody said something to him that could be considered remotely negative, he would get super depressed and lean against the nearest flat surface and bow his head. I found it impossible to figure out his character, let alone sympathize with him.

My second problem is in the pacing and the lack of tension. Every exciting action scene starts without any foreshadowing, making them feel very abrupt and light. Take the fight at the school for example. Without warning the lizard suddenly digs himself out of the bathroom floor and starts beating up Peter Parker. Even the most basic attempts at creating a sense of danger would have made a huge difference. Show the lizard/Curt Connors looking at a map of the school area while zooming into his face/eyes, cross cut to Peter Parker talking to Gwen Stacy at the school, cut back to the lizard running through the sewers while speaking out Peter Parkers name in a villainy way, cut back to Peter Parker and Gwen Stacy whose conversation starts to become more intimate when suddenly Peters spider sense goes crazy. Even that most mundane approach would give the following scene so much more weight. That same lack of tension is felt when the lizard goes through Oscorp while Gwen is hiding. Only a few establishing shots show us that she's in there, and then he enters the door. The next scene shows us Gwen in dark space with horizontal lines of light on her face. Of course this is enough information to tell the audience she's hiding in a closet, but that alone isn't enough to generate the tone that such scenes usually have. All we get is a shot of her face before a cut to the lizard walking past. You can't just take the most superficial part of a common movie trope and expect it to work as well as it has done in other instances.

Man, there's much more to criticize (the crane scene), but if those two problems were fixed, I would have no trouble enjoying it as breezy super hero movie.

VVVV You're actually wrong. I've been reading this thread and some reviews on it for the last few days, and was really looking forward to it (which is why I sprang for the super edition). I figured at worst it would be dumb but fun, but my low yet optimistic expectations weren't met.

uncle blog fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Apr 25, 2013

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I feel like you went in expecting to hate it and then did hate it, which is a pretty common result under the circumstances.

I'd address it point by point but every issue you have was discussed to death in this thread 9 months ago.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Alex WS posted:

Man, there's much more to criticize (the crane scene), but if those two problems were fixed, I would have no trouble enjoying it as breezy super hero movie.

I will never get the hate for the crane scene. It's not even a deus ex machina or anything, because it is literally the result of Peter saving that kid on the bridge, which is the moment the whole "If you have the power to do something good, you should do it" thing crystallizes. It's a "people are inherently good" thing, like the large group of people throwing poo poo at the Goblin at the end of Spider-Man, or the train scene in Spider-Man 2, except it's a much more personal thing. It's not "Peter has been a hero, town respects that, they stick up for him", it's "Peter saves a kid from a burning car, that kid's father sees this, he sticks up for Spider-Man".

I mean yeah, it's cheesy, but you're watching a movie about Spider-Man, cheesy kinda comes with the territory.

I do get your second point, and you're definitely not wrong there, but that first half was just Garfield acting like a teenager. Even the smartest teenager is a mush-mouth most of the time.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Wade Wilson posted:

Hold onto your butts.

This is exactly what I thought of first.

ExplodingSquidx2
Oct 20, 2010

I started watching Chronicle because I can't think of any other movies to watch. Didn't realize Harry Osbourne is in it. He's good! Really looking forward to his performance in the new movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

ConfusedUs posted:

This is exactly what I thought of first.

I'm sad that nobody else had the same thought. :smith:

• Locked thread