Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Well it looks like you got a full unit of bane knights and a min unit of bane thralls plus attachment and solo so thats like ~$180 alone.

Saalkin fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Apr 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

fenrif posted:

Thanks for the tips everyone! I'll play around with the Axer/Impaler and Bomber/Mauler combos to see what works best. I'm thinking of going for Kegslayer for my next warcaster. A decision I'm basing entirely on how cool the guy is. I only wish there were more drunken revelry themed guys in the faction.

Borka is awesome. He's one of my main guys, and my local Meta now hates him. He loves champs, and you should definitely check out his Family Reunion theme force:

System: Hordes
Faction: Borka - Family Reunion (NQ38)
Casters: 1/1
Tiers: 4
Borka Kegslayer (*5pts)
* Dire Troll Mauler (9pts)
Greygore Boomhowler & Co. (Boomhowler and 9 Grunts) (9pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 3 Stone Scribes (3pts)
* Krielstone Stone Scribe Elder (1pts)
Trollkin Champions (Leader and 4 Grunts) (9pts)
* Skaldi Bonehammer (3pts)
Trollkin Champions (Leader and 2 Grunts) (5pts)
Stone Scribe Chronicler (2pts)
Trollkin Champion Hero (3pts)

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

EnjoiThePureTrip posted:

Borka is awesome. He's one of my main guys, and my local Meta now hates him. He loves champs, and you should definitely check out his Family Reunion theme force:

System: Hordes
Faction: Borka - Family Reunion (NQ38)
Tiers: 4
Borka Kegslayer (*5pts)
* Dire Troll Mauler (9pts)
Greygore Boomhowler & Co. (Boomhowler and 9 Grunts) (9pts)
Krielstone Bearer and 3 Stone Scribes (3pts)
* Krielstone Stone Scribe Elder (1pts)
Trollkin Champions (Leader and 4 Grunts) (9pts)
* Skaldi Bonehammer (3pts)
Stone Scribe Chronicler (2pts)

This list is a straight motherfucker in case anyone is wondering.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin
Full Knights and Thralls.

Cryx question: I think I like Asphyxious more then Dene, but I think the models I have lead more to a Mortenebra list. How viable is Morte? I understand pGaspy is quite viable. I guess I'm just looking for general cryx thoughts.

Also; the only things I can see myself buying are Blackbanes/ Revenant crew. I like ghosts way too much. How terrible and gimmicky is this idea?

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Duderclese posted:

So on the subject of pretty good deals. I've collected a bunch of Ret over a couple of years. A nice gent at my FLGS was starting Ret and had a whole bunch of Cryx he was not interested in.

I'm not 100% sure what everything there is, as I know nearly nothing about Cryx. But I feel like I got one hell of a deal. I'd appreciate any thoughts on that matter. Or any thoughts on the potential armies I can make out of these little monstrosities.

I don't know about Cryx, but that's a nice deal, and I wish I could find someone like that who wants my 70 points of Khador :) Did you pay the $150 in the deal, or did he? Because if he did, you got a hell of a deal on figures alone.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Verdugo posted:

I wish I could find someone like that who wants my 70 points of Khador

I might just be that someone, depending on what you've got.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Otisburg posted:

I might just be that someone, depending on what you've got.

I am also intrigued.

Just ran Karchev for the first time... hoooolllly. Unearthly Rage is practically a minifeat.

25pts
Karchev
Destroyer (9)
Kodiak (8)
Juggernaut (7)
Mechaniks (2)
Widowmakers (4)

Played with Cryx against double Menoth. Nicea messed up my widowmakers something fierce, but Karchev's feat + Unearthly Rage and a lucky roll on Eruption won.

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.
So is eVyros with griffons good enough to justify getting the models?

Sricero
Nov 7, 2010

I Teach Yoga you son of a bitch.
Only when you can buy the plastic ones.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Verdugo posted:

I don't know about Cryx, but that's a nice deal, and I wish I could find someone like that who wants my 70 points of Khador :) Did you pay the $150 in the deal, or did he? Because if he did, you got a hell of a deal on figures alone.

I paid him the $150. Still feel like I came out way ahead.

albany academy posted:

Just ran Karchev for the first time... hoooolllly. Unearthly Rage is practically a minifeat.

Played with Cryx against double Menoth. Nicea messed up my widowmakers something fierce, but Karchev's feat + Unearthly Rage and a lucky roll on Eruption won.

Yes, unearthly rage is phenomenal. Karchev got such a huge buff when they clarified that you can fit three heavies in with tow.

You weren't using unearthly rage to boost Eruption rolls were you? Just the way you worded it made me wonder. I know when I first played him I thought it boosted all 'Jack attack/damage rolls. Needless to say destroyers became mind-blowing in this fantasy scenario.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
He's just a fast food knight.
Can anyone tell me about the war room app? I have some cryx lying around that I've had for ages, and picked up some legion recently as my gaming group had a warmahordes resurgence. I checked out the free content and it seems pretty good, but:

If I buy the 2 faction decks I have, will I get cards added when new minis come out?
If I make my army lists, does the game function work well? Without wifi?

So can my opponent join my game and see my cards/jack damage etc? Or should I just stick to cards and markers?

Luebbi
Jul 28, 2000

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

Can anyone tell me about the war room app? I have some cryx lying around that I've had for ages, and picked up some legion recently as my gaming group had a warmahordes resurgence. I checked out the free content and it seems pretty good, but:

If I buy the 2 faction decks I have, will I get cards added when new minis come out?
If I make my army lists, does the game function work well? Without wifi?

So can my opponent join my game and see my cards/jack damage etc? Or should I just stick to cards and markers?

I use War room all the time to play, since it's great for proxying - no cards required. New units get added even before they are released with no additional cost. The data gets downloaded, so for solo play you don't need wifi. Couldn't use it in the networked mode yet since noone i know uses it. Two downsides: I can't figure out how to mark used focus on the squire, and i had occasional problems with getting booted back to the home screen, but never lost any in-play data.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
Probably pretty worth it then, especially as I have enough bases to proxy minis, so having cards on war room would be handy. Thanks :)

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Duderclese posted:

I paid him the $150. Still feel like I came out way ahead.

Yes, unearthly rage is phenomenal. Karchev got such a huge buff when they clarified that you can fit three heavies in with tow.

You weren't using unearthly rage to boost Eruption rolls were you? Just the way you worded it made me wonder. I know when I first played him I thought it boosted all 'Jack attack/damage rolls. Needless to say destroyers became mind-blowing in this fantasy scenario.

No no no, I was using it correctly. Dude tried to charge Vilamon through the AOE as a last-ditch caster kill, and I scored double sixes. He conceded as all his heavies got smashed up and he only had a couple exemplars left compared to my practically unscathed jacks and still living mechaniks.

Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

Probably pretty worth it then, especially as I have enough bases to proxy minis, so having cards on war room would be handy. Thanks :)

It really depends if you're on iOS or not, the android port is pretty shody and has a lot of stability issues, if you have an iWhatever it's perfectly fine.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

The android one is good for list building and faffing about, I have it on my phone. I wouldn't use it to play a game exclusively [tried once, it worked but was janky as heck] but I still use it a lot, and all of my lists are stored on it.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
So I bought the Trollblood starter set on Thursday and played my first match of Hordes on Friday, which was more or less my friend teaching me to play. I then played another match Saturday and was actually able to squeak out a victory over my friends starter army. I decided to grab some more Trolls over Ebay today getting a plastic dire troll set (which I assume if I magnetize I can swap the parts and use it as any of the three), Hoarluk Doomshaper, and the some Pyg Burrowers.

Is there anything I should know about trolls/Warmahordse in general as I grow my force?

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*
My friends twisted my arm at a gaming show this weekend and got me to buy into Warmachine. Im a long term wargamer for more years than I care to imagine but play almost exclusively historical games, so this is going ot be quite a change!

I got the Retribution of Scyrah (my gaming group have every other faction between them) battlegroup , Narn and an Arcanist to start a 15pt list. Quite looking forward to putting the kits together although less sure about painting all that white armour!

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Serotonin posted:

My friends twisted my arm at a gaming show this weekend and got me to buy into Warmachine. Im a long term wargamer for more years than I care to imagine but play almost exclusively historical games, so this is going ot be quite a change!

I got the Retribution of Scyrah (my gaming group have every other faction between them) battlegroup , Narn and an Arcanist to start a 15pt list. Quite looking forward to putting the kits together although less sure about painting all that white armour!

Then don't paint them white; paint them whatever color you please. I spent about a week going over different color schemes (I made even made swatches) before settling on my pink and green scheme.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Paper Kaiju posted:

Then don't paint them white; paint them whatever color you please. I spent about a week going over different color schemes (I made even made swatches) before settling on my pink and green scheme.

See thats the historical grognard in me coming out. Yeah I guess I could paint them exactly how I please.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Alpha Phoenix posted:

The android one is good for list building and faffing about, I have it on my phone. I wouldn't use it to play a game exclusively [tried once, it worked but was janky as heck] but I still use it a lot, and all of my lists are stored on it.

I bought War Room and was amazed to see that somehow it is 'Circle of Orboros' in there. Oh well, having the rules lookup thing is useful and at least I have an easy way to prove that the Warpborn Alpha really is supposed to have Reach!

Aix Athanatos
Nov 3, 2011

Serotonin posted:

See thats the historical grognard in me coming out. Yeah I guess I could paint them exactly how I please.

I don't think I've ever used the default scheme for painting minis, ever. Ret's studio scheme is pretty cool but do what Paper Kaiju said and experiment with different colour schemes first until you find one you love. Also worth checking out is the Retribution-specific painting showcase thread on PP's forums, here.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003

Serotonin posted:

So on a related note in my local group; The guy I just traded all my Ret to did some thoughts about Vyros. Turns out he is Hitler. He rises to power using mysticism/god, turns his "cult" that was nearly banned into a major political party, is a very persuasive fellow, and once he is in control of the government turns them completely militaristic and loses all the god shenanigans.

He's also painting his ret like the - forgive me if I get this wrong - North African German uniform? Sort of a tan color with green helmets, and perhaps red piping. It looks pretty swanky.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Alright goons! Oath thread talk! The next oath season is coming up and we're looking for prizes from individual goons and any goons that make or supply models and supplies.

If you want to be in with a chance to win prizes at the end of the next oathing season, you can send a prize or prizes to the organizers - in addition to the regular monthly, quarterly and grand prizes at the end of the oath season, one goon that sends in a prize will be chosen at the end of the next oath thread to win a fabulous retail prize from one of our sponsors!

Also, do you have a company that makes or supplies miniature models or supplies? Do you want to get loads of publicity in front of hundreds of miniature-painting goons?

If you're interested in either option, drop me a PM or an email at krushgroove169 at gmail and we can talk!

The prizes obtained will be used for monthly, quarterly or season-ending prizes - once we have all the prizes from companies and goons collected, we'll collect them all together and spread them out across the 30+ different prizes we'll be sending out during the year.

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Apr 21, 2013

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So I bought the Trollblood starter set on Thursday and played my first match of Hordes on Friday, which was more or less my friend teaching me to play. I then played another match Saturday and was actually able to squeak out a victory over my friends starter army. I decided to grab some more Trolls over Ebay today getting a plastic dire troll set (which I assume if I magnetize I can swap the parts and use it as any of the three), Hoarluk Doomshaper, and the some Pyg Burrowers.

Is there anything I should know about trolls/Warmahordse in general as I grow my force?

Trolls are one of the more synergistic actions and a lot of models almost assume that you have the basic support pieces every time.

The staples are a Fell Caller, the Krielstone Bearer plus UA, and potentially Janissa. These will show up in the vast majority of your lists going forward.

Unit wise, Trolls have some good options all round. Kriel warriors can be turned into a gigantic pain in the arse by certain casters, Champions are very useful (along with the Champion Heroes), their heavy cavalry is potentially the best in the game, Scouts are underplayed, and Fennblades are one of the best tarpit units around. So go with what you like.

One note is that you might want to pick up a Pyre Troll as its animus will do a lot of work.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Thanks for the advice. I can see how useful Krielstone Bearers could be, but what about the fell caller is so useful?

I might skip on the cavalry, I am not a super big fan of those models (who rides a yak anyways). What exactly is a "tarpit" unit? Is it a unit that just slows down another unit?

I assume some of the value of these units will become more apparent as I play more, we didn't play any of the scenarios either so I am sure that addition to the game will also create new ways for units to be helpful.

Fast_Food_Knight
Nov 23, 2007

Be nice, He's a knight!
Can someone chime in with something similar about Legion? So I have the legion half of the 2 player box, what should I get from here?

The casters I like are Lilyths, Thagrosh, Vayles, Absylonia and Saeryn.

I wanted to run big beasties and mostly ranged troops where possible. I understand the fury management solos are very good for legion? Is the Succubus solo any good? Seems Lilyth would benefit from free animi as her fury looks tight.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Aix Athanatos posted:

I don't think I've ever used the default scheme for painting minis, ever. Ret's studio scheme is pretty cool but do what Paper Kaiju said and experiment with different colour schemes first until you find one you love. Also worth checking out is the Retribution-specific painting showcase thread on PP's forums, here.

I think I am going to use a similar scheme that I used on these Dreadball Forgefathers.

I will paint the power gem things on the Jacks armour in the same bright green I painted the gloves energy source and will use purple and that neutral drab colour for fabrics. Just unsure how to do the metallics of the weapons. Maybe a slight purple wash over silver?

Any suggestions?

Cyclomatic
May 29, 2012

"I'm past caring about what might be lost by letting alphabet soups monitor every last piece of communication between every human being on the planet."

I unironically love Big Brother.

Serotonin posted:

If you derive some amount of enjoyment from your army having a canonical feel to them, but dislike the white, there are some factors to consider.

1) Ios has advanced military technology and ideas that are basically completely alien to the setting because throughout their entire history their gods have basically answered any questions they had in exacting detail. When the other baboons were being mean to them, their gods didn't start them off with the seed of the idea to use a tool. They sat them down and said: "right, this is called a laser cannon and this is how you build one". It is entirely likely that one of their gods sat them down and explained camouflage to them. Given that they are notoriously sneaky gits who spend half their fluff sneaking entire armies deep into enemy territory, and the general "ghosts in the woods" status that their border defenses have, it is pretty much consistent with the spirit and implied letter of the fluff to have them use a camouflage scheme. I think they just don't mention it because then they would have to explain the studio scheme which doesn't fit the fluff at all.

2) Ios is splintered into different houses that cooperate, and on top of that the Retribution isn't Ios, it is an officially illegal/dubiously legal paramilitary organization that is getting its hands on military forces due to the non-centralized house based nature of Ios. It seems pretty consistent with the fluff that some of the houses might apply a different color scheme to their units to make a political point. I don't think Vyross or Rahn is going to let any chance to rub people's noses in exactly WHO is supporting the retribution slip by. The other members of the retribution are basically a patchwork of religious paramilitary nutters, so there isn't exactly a field manual on regulation colors they are following.

Aix Athanatos
Nov 3, 2011

Serotonin posted:

I think I am going to use a similar scheme that I used on these Dreadball Forgefathers.

I will paint the power gem things on the Jacks armour in the same bright green I painted the gloves energy source and will use purple and that neutral drab colour for fabrics. Just unsure how to do the metallics of the weapons. Maybe a slight purple wash over silver?

Any suggestions?

I've got a similar silver/purple scheme on my Ret and I can tell you that it'll look pretty rad. For metals, I mix a bit of purple with whatever metal I used for the base and wash it on, then use the original metal to highlight. It's similar to the method suggested in the FoW: Retribution book and it looks good even with my terrible painting skills.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Serotonin posted:

:colbert: The fantasy gaming thread is over-...here. Carry on :v:

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Woo! Two of my local guys won the Adepticon Team Tournament, another qualified for masters in the tier tournament, and one of our amazing painters won the painting prize in the Hardcore tourney. gently caress yeah. I just wish I coulda been there :(

e; And he's in the finals. Dan Sammons v Jake Van Meter.

S.J. fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Apr 21, 2013

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Cyclomatic posted:

If you derive some amount of enjoyment from your army having a canonical feel to them, but dislike the white, there are some factors to consider.

1) Ios has advanced military technology and ideas that are basically completely alien to the setting because throughout their entire history their gods have basically answered any questions they had in exacting detail. When the other baboons were being mean to them, their gods didn't start them off with the seed of the idea to use a tool. They sat them down and said: "right, this is called a laser cannon and this is how you build one". It is entirely likely that one of their gods sat them down and explained camouflage to them. Given that they are notoriously sneaky gits who spend half their fluff sneaking entire armies deep into enemy territory, and the general "ghosts in the woods" status that their border defenses have, it is pretty much consistent with the spirit and implied letter of the fluff to have them use a camouflage scheme. I think they just don't mention it because then they would have to explain the studio scheme which doesn't fit the fluff at all.

2) Ios is splintered into different houses that cooperate, and on top of that the Retribution isn't Ios, it is an officially illegal/dubiously legal paramilitary organization that is getting its hands on military forces due to the non-centralized house based nature of Ios. It seems pretty consistent with the fluff that some of the houses might apply a different color scheme to their units to make a political point. I don't think Vyross or Rahn is going to let any chance to rub people's noses in exactly WHO is supporting the retribution slip by. The other members of the retribution are basically a patchwork of religious paramilitary nutters, so there isn't exactly a field manual on regulation colors they are following.

In one of the NQs they had a how-to article about a House Vyros Strike Team camo scheme that a) looked pretty nice and b) goes right along with this.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

Pierzak posted:

:colbert: The fantasy gaming thread is over-...here. Carry on :v:

Hoisted by my own petard!

Lofidelity Media
Nov 4, 2004

"Its a Strange World...Let's keep it that way."

Fast_Food_Knight posted:

Can someone chime in with something similar about Legion? So I have the legion half of the 2 player box, what should I get from here?

The casters I like are Lilyths, Thagrosh, Vayles, Absylonia and Saeryn.

I wanted to run big beasties and mostly ranged troops where possible. I understand the fury management solos are very good for legion? Is the Succubus solo any good? Seems Lilyth would benefit from free animi as her fury looks tight.

Oh man, Legion. It is the main faction I play against these days. If you want to run beast and you want to run ranged, then you are in luck, because two of their warlocks fit perfectly into that mold. pLylyth (the one you got in the starter set), eLylyth (her epic upgrade) and pVayl all run great beast-heavy lists.

pLylyth works well with Typhon and anything that has a ranged attack. So, Nyss Striders and Deathstalkers are fantastic with her, especially on her feat turn.
eLylyth lists work great with a combination of Angelius and Ravagore units. Basically, bomb the enemy from a distance while hiding behind stealth. Or, just line up a feat-based alpha strike and hit everything twice.
pValy, is a little different. She's less ranged focused, and more melee-centric. She likes to let her beasts charge in for the alpha strike, then feat to get out of danger, then do it all over again the next turn. Plus, she can turn any of her beasts into an arc node.

The Shepard and the Forsaken a both great fury management options, just keep in mind that they are both really fragile, and that the Forsaken can utterly demolish warrior models - if you can deliver it with a full compliment of fury.

I'd recommend listening to the Chain-Attack podcasts about all three of those casters, but don't take anything those guys say as gospel.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Yeah the Chain attack podcasts for them are decent enough for you to get the basics of them. Vayl1 is my main warlock at the moment so I can divulge a bit on her:

She's all about the alpha strike and movement tricks, she's exactly what Legion wants in a Warlock. To start with is her feat, Cat and Mouse, basically it's about giving you the alpha strike and allowing you to scamper back for another one typically. Your beasts will charge in and absolutely wreck poo poo to pieces under her spell list and her feat lets you pull X number of models back for X number of models in her control area. You can either use it to reposition back to safety, or to push further into their lines and push models into uncomfortable trades.

Her spell list is bitching, she boasts a movement trick under leash, allowing her to drag warbeasts as she pushes up the table. A crit stationary AOE (Hoarfrost), a POW10 offensive spell that gains +1 POW for each fury on the target (awesome at maxed out Warbeasts) and Rampager, which is a thing if beauty. Target non character Warbeast is taken control of and you get to make a full advance and one normal melee attack with it. Typically you'll use it to drag a Warbeast out of their lines and eat it early game. Her other spell is awesome, and it's Incite. It gives her Battlegroup +2/+2 to attack and attack damage rolls in her CMD area (of 9"). Turning them into killing machines in that area. So she really has to get up the table to push someones poo poo in.

Her abilities are a few more, namely anything her gun hits (and it auto hits) can channel her spells, letting you use models as channellers (awesome with Incite to drag a Warbeast out, or a throw in a cheeky Hoarfrost), she has 24/7 concealment, helping her against shooting and amping up her survivability, and Dark Sentinel.

Dark Sentinel is a word salad but basically if a model ends its movement within 5" of Vayl, a Warbeast within 5" of Vayl can activate, move and attack the model that's moved, and it's boosted during the entire duration of it. Nothing more amusing than having Typhon wander over and Crit Pitch the bugger away from you.

She's a lot of fun, partly because the movement tricks she can bring with her feat and leash (compounded with the Seraph and Slipstream) and her ability to absolutely wreck enemy models thanks to Incite. She's awesome.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Anyone got any tips on how to improve this to deal with heavy stuff? A friend got me into the game and we built a list like this:

System: Warmachine
Faction: Khador
Forward Kommander Sorscha (*6pts)
* Beast-09 (11pts)
Battle Mechaniks (Leader and 5 Grunts) (3pts)
Winter Guard Infantry (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
* Winter Guard Infantry Officer & Standard (2pts)
* 2 Winter Guard Infantry Rocketeers (2pts)
Winter Guard Mortar Crew (Leader and Grunt) (3pts)
Kell Bailoch (2pts)
Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich (2pts)

My friend on the other hand has the Butcher and a bunch of man-o-war. My problem is that once Beast 09 dies (pretty much in one turn after destroying something) I'm kind of stuck between trying to buff winterguard and go for combined attacks OR trying to buff the mortar and hope it gets some direct hits. Neither has really proven that successful.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Det_no posted:

Anyone got any tips on how to improve this to deal with heavy stuff? A friend got me into the game and we built a list like this:

System: Warmachine
Faction: Khador
Forward Kommander Sorscha (*6pts)
* Beast-09 (11pts)
Battle Mechaniks (Leader and 5 Grunts) (3pts)
Winter Guard Infantry (Leader and 9 Grunts) (6pts)
* Winter Guard Infantry Officer & Standard (2pts)
* 2 Winter Guard Infantry Rocketeers (2pts)
Winter Guard Mortar Crew (Leader and Grunt) (3pts)
Kell Bailoch (2pts)
Kovnik Jozef Grigorovich (2pts)

My friend on the other hand has the Butcher and a bunch of man-o-war. My problem is that once Beast 09 dies (pretty much in one turn after destroying something) I'm kind of stuck between trying to buff winterguard and go for combined attacks OR trying to buff the mortar and hope it gets some direct hits. Neither has really proven that successful.

Your list seems tailored to fight light infantry only.

The Mechanics don't have enough worthwhile targets to be worth their points in that list. Kell Bailoch and the two Rocketeers seem exchangeable as well. The Mortar is alright, I guess, but you already have a lot of anti-light infantry in the full Winterguard unit, at least enough for the point value you're playing at, so losing it might not hurt you too much in a lot of generalist match-ups. You could exchange these or some of these for some additional heavy beaters of your choice like Manhunters, the Great Bears of Gallowswood, Iron Fang Pikemen or Doomreavers, all of which can easily out-threat Man-O-War and should be able to tear them apart on Sorschas feat turn.

To a lesser extent, Beast 09 is a good warjack but you'll probably have difficulties trading it favourably at that point value since it's not much harder to destroy than a normal Juggernaut and casters like the Butcher have an easy time destroying heavies anyways. You could field it as a standard Juggernaut to free up additional points, as you might be more interested in getting more diversity into the list rather than spending 4 points on upgrading a Juggernaut with reach, thresher and +1 Mat. And you effectively have less points of your army tied up when Sorscha can't or doesn't want to spare the focus to send a warjack into enemy lines.

What other models do you have available?
If you're just wondering about what to purchase next, I would recommend just grabbing the Manhunters (since they are relatively cheap and Combat Solos can help you rounding out a lot of army lists), the Great Bears of Gallowswood and possibly Lady Aiyana and Master Holt from the Mercenaries line as they all help with your lack of damage and all of them tend to find their way into a lot of lists, making them a safe buy.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 22, 2013

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

Got back from Adepticon, Just want to say that Cyriss models look even better in person than they do in pictures.

I couldn't be more stoked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Got back from Adepticon, Just want to say that Cyriss models look even better in person than they do in pictures.

I couldn't be more stoked.

Do you know if they are aiming for a July release?

• Locked thread