Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rawrbomb
Mar 11, 2011

rawrrrrr

Sjurygg posted:

It's difficult. You use a very thin dough rubbed into circles on a flat heated surface. Normally it's done on a semi-industrial basis with one shop that every restaurant and housewife in the neighbourhood buys from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLIYqGn50Sc

Americanized egg rolls normally use an egg based wrapper, they're like medium thin egg noodles. in large sheets. You can get them at a lot of grocery stores in the states. The dough isn't cooked either. So I don't think the rice paper video is a good match.

Rawrbomb fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Apr 14, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010
Ma po tofu came out alright. I'm not sure how it was really supposed to taste, having never had it before, but it was good. Very bitter. I think I burnt the peppers right off the bat, and I'm not crazy about the hoisin I made. I think the biggest disappointment was that I was going to cook with the wok over a charcoal chimney outside, but it started to drizzle.

Next up, Siew Yuk.

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
Does anyone know if I can find fresh waxberry (yang mei, 杨梅) in New York City? I've casually looked out for it every early summer,but I haven't had any success yet.

Also, why was there hoisin in a ma po dofu recipe?

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Two Worlds posted:

Does anyone know if I can find fresh waxberry (yang mei, 杨梅) in New York City? I've casually looked out for it every early summer,but I haven't had any success yet.

Also, why was there hoisin in a ma po dofu recipe?

Googling for mapo tofu and hoisin reveals that quite a few recipes call for it. The only thing I can think is that people love hoisin sauce and use that as an excuse to dump it into everything.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.
I read through this entire thread last night and got inspired to finally expand my cooking skills. Thanks to everyone who shared the delicious-looking recipes. I went on an adventure to Chinatown and came home with this:

Pretty much all the basic ingredients from the OP, plus a cleaver, for just under $40. I've wanted a cleaver since I was a kid watching Yan Can Cook on PBS. :3: I didn't expect to be able to find the shaoxing wine, since the LCBO doesn't carry many Chinese products, but it turns out that since it's salted and undrinkable, they can sell it at the supermarkets. I'm going to try again tomorrow to find a good wok, since everything I found today was either non-stick-coated or industrial-sized. The wok-seasoning video in the OP is broken; can someone suggest another good one?

Verloc
Feb 15, 2001

Note to self: Posting 'lulz' is not a good idea.
Just finished making a batch of West Lake soup. I'm on one of those low carb/high protein diets, so I modified the recipe and cut out basically all of the corn starch while massively upping the amount of tofu, eggs, and beef in it. It was still drat delicious, and will probably wind up in the regular rotation while cutting. Awesome recipe.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Nobody puts hoisin sauce in mapo dofu. :psyduck:

Mapodofu is douban sauce (chili bean garlic sauce), chilies, tofu, scallions, and pork. Huajiao if you're into it. Cloves if you want to get crazy. Hoisin is for like... duck and cucumbers. No idea why mapodofu should turn out bitter. Get yourself a nice chunky red douban sauce (often sold in the U.S. as bean sauce or chili garlic sauce) and add it after browning the pork but before adding the tofu. It will take care of 90% of the flavor.

Wok seasoning the "right way" might require a video, I dunno. Wok seasoning the easy way is pour some oil in there and put it on hot-rear end heat for like ten minutes, swishing occasionally. It's not perfect but it works. Cooking with oil improves the seasoning unless you cook acidic stuff. And if you do it the easy way enough, it's about as good as the right way. Food doesn't stick to my wok anymore at least.

Don't overthink it, is what I'm saying.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

Wok seasoning the "right way" might require a video, I dunno. Wok seasoning the easy way is pour some oil in there and put it on hot-rear end heat for like ten minutes, swishing occasionally. It's not perfect but it works. Cooking with oil improves the seasoning unless you cook acidic stuff. And if you do it the easy way enough, it's about as good as the right way. Food doesn't stick to my wok anymore at least.

Ha, I overthink loving everything. Fortunately I've got a gas stove so I'll give it a shot tomorrow. At least you can't melt a wok! :v:

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Arglebargle III posted:

Nobody puts hoisin sauce in mapo dofu. :psyduck:

Mapodofu is douban sauce (chili bean garlic sauce), chilies, tofu, scallions, and pork. Huajiao if you're into it. Cloves if you want to get crazy. Hoisin is for like... duck and cucumbers. No idea why mapodofu should turn out bitter. Get yourself a nice chunky red douban sauce (often sold in the U.S. as bean sauce or chili garlic sauce) and add it after browning the pork but before adding the tofu. It will take care of 90% of the flavor.

The best mapodofu I've ever had was at FuLoon near Boston. The method they use to prepare their mapodofu is here:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/07/how-the-best-mapo-dofu-is-made-fuloon-restaurant-malden-ma.html

If you're ever in the area and you like Szechuan food, check it out.

Shadowhand00 fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Apr 17, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Shadowhand00 posted:

If you're ever in the area and you like Szechuan food, check it out.

Their recipe looks good but I doubt I'll swing by for their mapodofu any time soon because I live in Sichuan. v:shobon:v It's not too hard to get here. That recipe is the epitome of Sichuan cooking, all the recipes here are like:

1. get three things
2. chop the poo poo out of them
3. add 20 different spices and oils
4. wok

Once I asked a friend's mother for her ginger frog recipe. Her ingredient list for the solids was two things: frog and a kind of green called asparagus celery in English. Her ingredient list for the sauce was: fresh ginger, pickled ginger, a different kind of pickled ginger, sesame oil, chili oil, light soy sauce, mushroom soy sauce, and on and on. I can't remember the rest.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Apr 17, 2013

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

Arglebargle III posted:

Their recipe looks good but I doubt I'll swing by for their mapodofu any time soon because I live in Sichuan. v:shobon:v It's not too hard to get here. That recipe is the epitome of Sichuan cooking, all the recipes here are like:

1. get three things
2. chop the poo poo out of them
3. add 20 different spices and oils
4. wok

Once I asked a friend's mother for her ginger frog recipe. Her ingredient list for the solids was two things: frog and a kind of green called asparagus celery in English. Her ingredient list for the sauce was: fresh ginger, pickled ginger, a different kind of pickled ginger, sesame oil, chili oil, light soy sauce, mushroom soy sauce, and on and on. I can't remember the rest.

I usually eat Korean-Chinese food (generally Chinese people transplanted into Korea, who then went and created jjajangmyun and jjampong) so we never really see much of true Sichuan cuisine. I've been venturing out in the SF Bay Area trying to find those magical peppercorns though and I'm definitely falling in love with it.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I have some of this:

It's been open and stored at room temperature for a few months now. Is it still good?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Could you do Mapo Dofu with ground chicken or turkey or something instead of the pork? I don't eat any pig products, which somewhat limits my Chinese repertoire, but that looks so delicious.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Probably. Doujiang is one of those things that doesn't really go bad in forever. If you haven't opened it yet I'd say it's definitely fine, if you have I'd probably still use it. Note that I am stupid, live in China and have food poisoning/stomach issues three days of every week anyway before following this advice.

Arcturas posted:

Could you do Mapo Dofu with ground chicken or turkey or something instead of the pork? I don't eat any pig products, which somewhat limits my Chinese repertoire, but that looks so delicious.

Make it with whatever you want. I've made it with beef before and it was p good.

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Apr 17, 2013

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Arcturas posted:

Ground chicken or turkey works perfectly well as a replacement for lean ground pork (also for spring rolls, jiaozi, wonton and the like). Note that some recipes explicitly call for fatty pork, like Lion's Heads, in which case the lean poultry is a poor substitute.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty

Magna Kaser posted:

Probably. Doujiang is one of those things that doesn't really go bad in forever. If you haven't opened it yet I'd say it's definitely fine, if you have I'd probably still use it. Note that I am stupid, live in China and have food poisoning/stomach issues three days of every week anyway before following this advice.

My instinct says it's fine seeing as the ingredients are chilli, salt and already-fermented beans, so I'll go with this.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Would it be inappropriate to ask about recipes for Jjajangmyun here? I liked the Chinese version posted earlier but wanted to make something closer to what they serve in Korea, and I didn't see any Korean food threads posted. Sorry again if it's off-topic.

quote:

I personally also enjoy it with ground beef, so if you can do beef that should make a decent substitute I think.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Nickoten posted:

Would it be inappropriate to ask about recipes for Jjajangmyun here? I liked the Chinese version posted earlier but wanted to make something closer to what they serve in Korea, and I didn't see any Korean food threads posted. Sorry again if it's off-topic.

I personally also enjoy it with ground beef, so if you can do beef that should make a decent substitute I think.

The recipe here is pretty good - http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/jjajangmyun - make sure you find good sauce and use plenty of onions. Obviously, there're slight differences between gan jjajang and regular jjajangmyun, but this should get you started.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Shadowhand00 posted:

The recipe here is pretty good - http://www.maangchi.com/recipe/jjajangmyun - make sure you find good sauce and use plenty of onions. Obviously, there're slight differences between gan jjajang and regular jjajangmyun, but this should get you started.

That's actually the recipe I've been using for a while! Good to know other people use it, too. Apparently the video is new, though, which is nice because her measurements could be a bit confusing at times ("Throw about a teaspoon of sugar in" as she dumps what appears to be at least a couple tablespoons in there).

The problem was that I tried some Jjajjangmyun in Seoul sometime after and there was just something about it that tasted amazing, unlike anything I'd had before. Mine felt a bit earthier in comparison, but it might be due to me using sweet potatoes. Maybe I really just need to add a lot more sugar like the video says? :v:

I feel like maybe I ought to add light soy, too? Dunno if that's a crazy idea.

Edit: This new video is really good. Thanks for posting that!

Nickoten fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Apr 18, 2013

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Nickoten posted:

That's actually the recipe I've been using for a while! Good to know other people use it, too. Apparently the video is new, though, which is nice because her measurements could be a bit confusing at times ("Throw about a teaspoon of sugar in" as she dumps what appears to be at least a couple tablespoons in there).

The problem was that I tried some Jjajjangmyun in Seoul sometime after and there was just something about it that tasted amazing, unlike anything I'd had before. Mine felt a bit earthier in comparison, but it might be due to me using sweet potatoes. Maybe I really just need to add a lot more sugar like the video says? :v:

I feel like maybe I ought to add light soy, too? Dunno if that's a crazy idea.

Edit: This new video is really good. Thanks for posting that!

No problem.

Its really hard to find Jjajangmyun outside of Korea that really tastes like it does in Korea. Go to the Bay Area, go to Ktown in LA, go to New York and you'll find a nice approximation, but there's nothing like getting delivery jjajangmyun from your random corner Chinese store in Korea.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Try more sugar and/or corn syrup. I hate jjajangmyeon with a passion so I can't help, but generally everything in Korea is packed with sugar. I've been told by Korean immigrants that the food is getting more sugary with time, so the places in the US probably don't use as much as the ones here do.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bollock Monkey posted:

I have some of this:

It's been open and stored at room temperature for a few months now. Is it still good?

Hey that's pixian doujiang, my favorite kind! It's already a fermented food so you should probably be good.

e:fb

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Arglebargle III posted:

Hey that's pixian doujiang, my favorite kind! It's already a fermented food so you should probably be good.

e:fb

I always use laoganma's douchi instead cause laoganma is my chinese food overlord.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Toilet Rascal

Grand Fromage posted:

Try more sugar and/or corn syrup. I hate jjajangmyeon with a passion so I can't help, but generally everything in Korea is packed with sugar. I've been told by Korean immigrants that the food is getting more sugary with time, so the places in the US probably don't use as much as the ones here do.

Meh, growing up in a household where my father had diabetes issues, I grew up on Korean food that was lacking in sugar. Every time I'm at a Korean resturant, I have issues because everything really is too sweet.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Shadowhand00 posted:

Meh, growing up in a household where my father had diabetes issues, I grew up on Korean food that was lacking in sugar. Every time I'm at a Korean resturant, I have issues because everything really is too sweet.

It's the biggest thing I hate about food here. But it is the first thing I'd think of if you were trying to replicate generic restaurant food.

sanosuke21
Jul 24, 2003
Let's talk about clay pot dishes! For all of you who live in NYC, there is a delicious restaurant in Manhattan Chinatown (I'm sure there's one in Queens too) that does clay pot dishes, and when you get them to go, THEY COME IN THE CLAY POT AND YOU GET TO KEEP IT! The place is called A Wah, here's a link: http://www.awahrestaurant.com/

So now that I have the clay pot, does anyone have any favorite dishes they suggest for a single serving clay pot meal? I've made the following recipe before in a regular pot and it turned out great each time: http://www.thesweetandsourchronicles.com/wok-cooking/clay-pot-chicken-with-shitake-mushrooms-lap-cheong-chinese-sausage/ but I'd like to try something else.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

sanosuke21 posted:

Let's talk about clay pot dishes! For all of you who live in NYC, there is a delicious restaurant in Manhattan Chinatown (I'm sure there's one in Queens too) that does clay pot dishes, and when you get them to go, THEY COME IN THE CLAY POT AND YOU GET TO KEEP IT! The place is called A Wah, here's a link: http://www.awahrestaurant.com/

So now that I have the clay pot, does anyone have any favorite dishes they suggest for a single serving clay pot meal? I've made the following recipe before in a regular pot and it turned out great each time: http://www.thesweetandsourchronicles.com/wok-cooking/clay-pot-chicken-with-shitake-mushrooms-lap-cheong-chinese-sausage/ but I'd like to try something else.

三杯鸡 is pretty good. It's a dish from JIangsu/Taiwan.

http://tastedbytwo.com/2009/10/27/recipe-three-cup-chicken/

How big is the clay pot? In Hangzhou, one of their "specialty dishes" is a whole chicken slow-cooked in a clay pot and is pretty much the best thing. I'm guessing yours ain't big enough for that, though.

sanosuke21
Jul 24, 2003

Magna Kaser posted:

How big is the clay pot? In Hangzhou, one of their "specialty dishes" is a whole chicken slow-cooked in a clay pot and is pretty much the best thing. I'm guessing yours ain't big enough for that, though.

Thanks, that looks drat tasty. Mine definitely couldn't fit a whole chicken but if you have a good source for the recipe, please share, maybe I can adapt it to fit my pot.

Also, I know that clay pot dishes are cooked over flame, but can you bake with them as well or will the pot blow up?

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

I tried cooking the Gong Bao Chicken recipe from 'Land of Plenty' and it was delicious! I'd never tried the Sichuan pepper before, but you can really taste the citrusy flavours from it.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

sanosuke21 posted:

Thanks, that looks drat tasty. Mine definitely couldn't fit a whole chicken but if you have a good source for the recipe, please share, maybe I can adapt it to fit my pot.

Also, I know that clay pot dishes are cooked over flame, but can you bake with them as well or will the pot blow up?

A clay pot will explode because of rapid temperature change. You can bake with them, you just have to put them in a cold oven so the pot heats up slowly with the oven itself.

I couldn't find a recipe for the exact Hangzhou dish since I forget the specific name, but this is probably just about the same. There wasn't much to it.

sanosuke21
Jul 24, 2003

Magna Kaser posted:

A clay pot will explode because of rapid temperature change. You can bake with them, you just have to put them in a cold oven so the pot heats up slowly with the oven itself.

I couldn't find a recipe for the exact Hangzhou dish since I forget the specific name, but this is probably just about the same. There wasn't much to it.

Weird, that doesn't seem very Chinese but I'm sure it's real tasty!

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Magna Kaser posted:

I always use laoganma's douchi instead cause laoganma is my chinese food overlord.
I cannot wait for the day that the Angry Lady ousts Lee Kum Kee in the States as the main purveyor of Chinese sauces/oils/stuff.

All hail the Angry Lady.

EDIT: my Chinese grocer sometimes seems like she wants to build a shrine to Laoganma.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

sanosuke21 posted:

Weird, that doesn't seem very Chinese but I'm sure it's real tasty!

I mean the spices and junk might be different, the stuff in Hangzhou is pretty light on seasonings, but a chicken baked in a clay pot is gonna be a chicken baked in a clay pot.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Magna Kaser posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking about the whole chicken wrapped in leaves and clay then baked until the clay hardens. Then you smash it open. I'm from Hangzhou and I don't know of another whole chicken with clay dish. The effect is quite different from just cooking a whole chicken in a clay pot... Usually Chinese recipes for chicken in clay pots are 'hot pots' or chicken soup in air clay pots (qi guo).

(Found an article for it: http://www.whatsonningbo.com/wine_msg.php?titleid=74)

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Rurutia posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking about the whole chicken wrapped in leaves and clay then baked until the clay hardens. Then you smash it open. I'm from Hangzhou and I don't know of another whole chicken with clay dish. The effect is quite different from just cooking a whole chicken in a clay pot... Usually Chinese recipes for chicken in clay pots are 'hot pots' or chicken soup in air clay pots (qi guo).

(Found an article for it: http://www.whatsonningbo.com/wine_msg.php?titleid=74)

Yeah, beggar's chicken is pretty much the Hangzhou dish, but it's a bit too involved for any sane individual to make (authentically) on their own.

It is very good though.

It might only exist at 外婆家, but they have a plain 'ol whole chicken baked in a plain 'ol clay pot and it's amazing. I'd never had anything like that before I was in Hangzhou so I thought it was from there. It's been maybe a year since I was back there so I forget the exact name.

e: found it! It IS a bit different than I remember in these pics, I just remember it being amazingly delicious. The pot doesn't even look clay there so I guess my memory was screwing with me.

http://www.dianping.com/shop/4500496/dish-%E6%A8%9F%E8%8C%B6%E9%B8%A1

I couldn't find an English recipe for this, but it looks simple enough so I might make it later and translate for anyone not fluent in heavenly characters.

It does seem like a pretty obscure thing though, the baidu search for it when I was looking for pictures auto searched for coffee tables (茶几 as opposed to 茶鸡) :smith:

Ailumao fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Apr 25, 2013

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

How would I make these? They look like soo much tasty.

http://clatl.com/atlanta/hot-and-numbing-beef-rolls-at-tasty-china/Content?oid=8004953

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007
Anyone here know any good recipe for dim sum using glutinous rice flour? I've tried the wheat starch/corn starch haw gao but I was looking for something with the good ol glutinous rice flour

squigadoo
Mar 25, 2011

Pepsi-Tan posted:

Anyone here know any good recipe for dim sum using glutinous rice flour? I've tried the wheat starch/corn starch haw gao but I was looking for something with the good ol glutinous rice flour

uh. What are you trying to make?

You can make the fried dumplings with lotus seed paste or red bean filling with glutinous rice flour.

Nwabudike Morgan
Dec 31, 2007

squigadoo posted:

uh. What are you trying to make?

You can make the fried dumplings with lotus seed paste or red bean filling with glutinous rice flour.

A steamed dumpling preferably, my house doesn't really eat many friend foods. Probably something like a chicken mince or shrimp filling. I'll probably do a dipping sauce and then some brothy noodles to go with as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Does anybody know what's in that green sauce that some places include with their char siu, and how to make it?