Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

davebo posted:

Quick question: is there a goon consensus on what the best free and paid data recovery programs are? My scenario is we have a 3TB western digital drive that was NTFS and has no decided it is unformatted and shows as RAW in Disk Management. I can start a thread in HoTS if that's the proper route, but I guess first off I was wondering if there was a favorite goon program for data recovery, since all I've ever used in the past was that SanDisk RescuePro that comes free with sdhc cards.

Its not free but getdataback should be able to recover that. Download the demo and do the "perform a quick scan" option.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eight Is Legend
Jan 2, 2008
Cross-posting from the OS X thread, please don't kill me:

What is the best legal way for me to acquire a Windows 7 ISO? My sister needs to run a program on her MacBook Air that's not available for OS X, and you can't yet run Windows 8 in Boot Camp which is the only Windows version Microsoft is currently selling on their site.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Eight Is Legend posted:

Cross-posting from the OS X thread, please don't kill me:

What is the best legal way for me to acquire a Windows 7 ISO? My sister needs to run a program on her MacBook Air that's not available for OS X, and you can't yet run Windows 8 in Boot Camp which is the only Windows version Microsoft is currently selling on their site.

First result for "Windows 7 ISO" http://techpp.com/2009/11/11/download-windows-7-iso-official-direct-download-links/

I've used the downloads before. The "Windows 7 SP1 Integrated ISO" versions (Direct links to Digital River). I can't tell whether you want 32, 64, Home, Pro.. Ultimate, so I can't link you straight to the one you want, but there you go

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Apr 17, 2013

a glorious hole
Nov 21, 2012

e:fb

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
For my new job, while my role is primarily dealing with VMware, I am going to dab a bit into windows 2012/Exch 2010 wondering if anyone has these books,
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0735666318/
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0735640610/
I know a great deal about in 2008 r2 but I haven't dabbled too much into 2012, and for Exchange I'd really like to just cover some of my gray areas.

As well as thinking about picking up a Hyper-V book, only a small percentage of their clients have it, most are VMware, but I would like to be able to say "yeah I have done X with Hyper-V"
http://www.amazon.com/Windows-Server-Hyper-V-Installation-Configuration/dp/1118486498/

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Pilsner posted:

Can you post precisely the commands you're typing? For example, I just tried this on my work computer:

code:
C:\Users\pilsner>net use z: \\192.168.225.23\test\
The command completed successfully.
192.168.225.23 is a local file server, and \test is a share on it. Is your \files\music directory shared? If not, you must point to the drive and directory, such as this:

code:
C:\Users\pilsner>net use k: \\nas.ip\c$\files\music
c$ essentially means c:. Replace if the storage drive on your NAS has a different letter.

Also, if your NAS has a network name, try using that instead of the IP.
Absolutely.

So:
code:
C:\Windows\system32>net use k: \\192.168.5.111\
System error 1920 has occurred.

The file cannot be accessed by the system.

C:\Windows\system32>net use k: \\freenas\

C:\Windows\system32>net use k: \\192.168.5.111\files\
System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.
The drive is shared in FreeNAS via CIFS. The specific mount point that is shared is /mnt/brick, and the directory I'm trying to get to (for this particular command, though obviously I'd like to map other things to other areas, as well) is under that - so /mnt/brick/files/music is \\freenas\files\music\.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
I've got an Excel spreadsheet full of personal data. What my employer wants is to import that information to their existing website and make it searchable and filterable, so that researchers can search for all guys named Steve, filter out all guys who died in year X or were born in city Y, etc. Nothing more complicated than that.

Something like this is what I was thinking:

http://legionmagazine.com/en/index.php/last-post/

It has an alphabetical index, search fields, and filter boxes, so I think that's basically what I want. If it matters, we're dealing with about 600 subjects, and about 40 fields per subject.

My employers say a database program would solve this, and for now I'm taking them at their word unless you tell me they're wrong. But I don't even really know what a database is in terms of software, let alone if they're right in saying such a program is what is needed to put this online. I'm familiar with Excel, but not much beyond that.

Could anyone suggest what software I need to make this happen? The main criteria are that it must be:

a) simple - they don't need to do a lot here (it seems to me), and extra features would probably just make it more complex. No scripts or programming or what have you, because the people who will eventually need to maintain it don't know much of that, nor do I. There's no ecommerce or social media addons required. Manageable to a staff that is not high on tech skills is by far the most important factor.

b) inexpensive - this is a non-profit I'm working for so lower cost would be appreciated. Still, if it has to be spent, the money can probably be found.

c) Windows-based - everyone in the office is running PCs, which is why I'm in this thread.

I'd appreciate a more talking-to-someone-clueless sort of answer, if at all possible. Thanks in advance.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

Krakkles posted:

Absolutely.

So:
code:
C:\Windows\system32>net use k: \\192.168.5.111\

C:\Windows\system32>net use k: \\freenas\

C:\Windows\system32>net use k: \\192.168.5.111\files\
System error 53 has occurred.

The network path was not found.
The drive is shared in FreeNAS via CIFS. The specific mount point that is shared is /mnt/brick, and the directory I'm trying to get to (for this particular command, though obviously I'd like to map other things to other areas, as well) is under that - so /mnt/brick/files/music is \\freenas\files\music\.

Can you get to \\freenas\files\music\ in explorer?

Did you try running a non-elevated command prompt?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

davebo posted:

Quick question: is there a goon consensus on what the best free and paid data recovery programs are? My scenario is we have a 3TB western digital drive that was NTFS and has no decided it is unformatted and shows as RAW in Disk Management. I can start a thread in HoTS if that's the proper route, but I guess first off I was wondering if there was a favorite goon program for data recovery, since all I've ever used in the past was that SanDisk RescuePro that comes free with sdhc cards.

We used to have a list on the SHSC.info wiki, but since that died I moved it to http://data.steveshouse.org and the list is at the very bottom. All those tools have been recommended by a number of goons in the past.

If you feel up to it I'd give TestDisk a quick go just to see if it can find your partition(s) and rebuild the drive. Bear in mind this will be a "fix in place" technique and so make changes to your disk. If that doesn't work then fall back onto something else.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Guy Axlerod posted:

Can you get to \\freenas\files\music\ in explorer?

Did you try running a non-elevated command prompt?

No, yes (same result).

This led me to try \\192.168.5.111\ in explorer, though, which worked, but had \brick\files\music, rather than just \files\music.

But now we're back at the original issue - I can mount this to K:, but robocopy still fails.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Xotl posted:

I've got an Excel spreadsheet full of personal data. What my employer wants is to import that information to their existing website and make it searchable and filterable, so that researchers can search for all guys named Steve, filter out all guys who died in year X or were born in city Y, etc. Nothing more complicated than that.

Something like this is what I was thinking:

http://legionmagazine.com/en/index.php/last-post/

You will need a database and a front-end. The website you linked to has a custom-coded front-end and I'm not aware of any canned solution. Is this an outward facing website or an intranet? Security implications? Do you need people to add to it? What is your website already coded in?

You might be able to pare down some wiki or directory software to do what you need on the cheap, but this is a bigger more time-consuming undertaking than you are realizing.

Armourking
Dec 16, 2004

Step off!
Step off!

WorkingStiff posted:

You will need a database and a front-end. The website you linked to has a custom-coded front-end and I'm not aware of any canned solution. Is this an outward facing website or an intranet? Security implications? Do you need people to add to it? What is your website already coded in?

You might be able to pare down some wiki or directory software to do what you need on the cheap, but this is a bigger more time-consuming undertaking than you are realizing.
Sharepoint or SQL Server Express would work OK if it's internal Windows based, and are free for the cut-down versions; but it's always going to come down to needing someone doing a bit of work to get it done. If you got it into a SQL express database, then put a parametrized SRSS report in front, that would pretty much cover it.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Krakkles posted:

No, yes (same result).

This led me to try \\192.168.5.111\ in explorer, though, which worked, but had \brick\files\music, rather than just \files\music.

But now we're back at the original issue - I can mount this to K:, but robocopy still fails.

Weird. It's really tough to help troubleshoot without being at your computer.

Did you try good old xcopy (built-in command) instead of Robocopy? Give that a go just to test the waters.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to define a whole new numbering scheme in Word 2007?

I need to add a numbering scheme that is basically "First, Second, Third, etc." but in a different language. I don't mind spending 5-10 minutes typing in the corresponding words, but I don't see any option that will let me do that.

The "Define New Number Option" simply lets me add words to the existing number schemes, which isn't exactly helpful.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Thanks everyone for their hard drive recovery suggestions, everything is back and working now.

This is completely unrelated but a client next week is going to need to view a bunch of files & folders in alphanumeric order. I've been googling for half an hour and the closest I've found is a guide on how to get macs NOT to do this. To be clear, I want the objects Goons(Folder), apple.jpg, and zebra.mp4 to list in the order: apple.jpg, Goons (Folder), zebra.mp4. I use xplorer^2 as a file manager, and other third party file managers may or may not do this, but this client is most likely going to have a bone stock Windows 7 or maybe Vista. Is that type of listing even possible and if so how? Thanks.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

davebo posted:

Thanks everyone for their hard drive recovery suggestions, everything is back and working now.

Any chance you can share the solution with the class? It's always interesting to know what works for what situation.

\/ Thanks for the details. Always good to read problems with solutions.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Apr 19, 2013

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Gromit posted:

Any chance you can share the solution with the class? It's always interesting to know what works for what situation.

Well I didn't give credit to any one suggestion because while I especially appreciated the link to all those programs, and was all geared up to try your TestDisk solution first, Windows 7 actually solved the issue itself. In the interest of adding max details in case anyone ever runs into the problem though:

Drive is a 3TB Western Digital Green that we (video company) throw finished projects on just in case we need to revisit them in the future, which is rare but worth the time throwing onto a cheap drive when we're done with stuff. So this drive, any many before it but this is the first 3TB one, get tossed between 4 different pc's. I came in and one guy said it won't load in his computer, and he said he had tried it on another computer also, so I tried it in my external usb enclosure with the same result. As it turns out, even though the other stations usually only use ESATA enclosures, he had tried both of them on usb ones, and mine was usb also. Since I got a replacement drive in today, I figured if TestDisk managed to fix it, I'd have a lot of transferring to do, so I hooked it up ESATA and booted the computer. During startup Windows identified the drive, recognized the partition and started rebuilding tables or whatever the hell it does in CHKDSK. Took quite a while but eventually it booted windows and I could see the whole drive. I'm gonna move the data onto the replacement drive I got and keep that around. I don't know what caused it to stop working but if anyone runs into the same issue try just hooking it up SATA instead of begging the thread for solutions I guess :P

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom

davebo posted:

This is completely unrelated but a client next week is going to need to view a bunch of files & folders in alphanumeric order. I've been googling for half an hour and the closest I've found is a guide on how to get macs NOT to do this. To be clear, I want the objects Goons(Folder), apple.jpg, and zebra.mp4 to list in the order: apple.jpg, Goons (Folder), zebra.mp4. I use xplorer^2 as a file manager, and other third party file managers may or may not do this, but this client is most likely going to have a bone stock Windows 7 or maybe Vista. Is that type of listing even possible and if so how? Thanks.

at a command prompt in the folder with the files you would like to list do:

dir /b > list.txt

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

College Slice

Suniikaa posted:

at a command prompt in the folder with the files you would like to list do:

dir /b > list.txt
We actually have a very elaborate spreadsheet of all the contents already, but the client will need to see the files in Windows unfortunately.

Edit: VV Unfortunately that still keeps all folders at the top of each group it splits it into. Basically what I have are 123 folders, mp4's and mp3's that all start with the date year.month.day-filename. I'm just gonna give in and admit it can't be done. I'm sure the "solution" will be to create a folder for every year since the 50's and put that year's content in each, making this the most unnecessarily inconvenient folder structure to navigate. Thanks for the ideas though.

davebo fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 19, 2013

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

davebo posted:

view a bunch of files & folders in alphanumeric order.
If you not only sort by filename, but also group by filename in Explorer, then folders will be mixed among the files instead of grouped at the top. There will however be group names interspersed with the list, like 0-9, A-H, I-P, Q-Z and Other. But that should be no more of a nuisance than a visual one.

This is the best you're going to get on a vanilla W7 install, I think.

EDIT: all this is accessible form the right click menu in Explorer.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
In Windows 7, sometimes I like using the Navigation Pane to get me from place to place as I look through my files. There are other times when I want to turn the Navigation Pane off and just see the contents of the folder in the window and nothing else.

The problem is that toggling the Navigation Pane on and off is kind of a pain in the rear end. There's a simple 1-click button that toggles the preview pane on and off, but no Navigation Pane toggle button next to it with similar function.

Is there a program or Windows edit or something I can download/do to add a 1-click Navigation Pane button next to the preview button?

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

In Windows 7, can I make it ask for the login password after it automatically turns off the monitor? I know I could do this with a screensaver but I think there's a way to do it without that.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Slider posted:

In Windows 7, can I make it ask for the login password after it automatically turns off the monitor? I know I could do this with a screensaver but I think there's a way to do it without that.

It is Control Panel >Power Options >Change plan settings >Change advanced power settings >Change settings that are currently unavailable >Require a password on wakeup.

hummingbird hoedown
Sep 23, 2004

IS THAT A STUPID NEWBIE AVATAR? FUCK NO, YOU'RE GETTING A PENTAR

SKILCRAFT KREW Reppin' Quality Blind Made Products
Back with another Access question:

The current table I'm working on is used to track aircraft passing through a country. The fields are labeled, from left to right:control number, date, arrival time, landing time, location, takeoff time, departure time, aircraft type, callsign. Not all aircraft passing through land so some record only have arrival and departure times. I can group records by date without a problem. What I'd like to be able to do is further sort the records by time and keep the same aircraft's records together because some callings include multiple legs with multiple landings. These landings and takeoffs within the country have no times for their "arrival" and "departure" times because they're happening within the country's airspace. When I sort these records, the multi-landing flight records always go to the top of the list because there are no data in the "departure" or "arrival" fields. I've tried sorting by callsign but the times are still out of order. What can I do to get all of the legs of a flight in chronological order?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I thought it was asked in the thread but I don't see it...I'm likely blind.

I've been re-installing Windows for a few friends lately, and it's taking forever to re-download all the updates. I have Windows 7 SP1 saved offline, is there a good way to store other updates offline as well? Searching google finds a lot of "free apps" to do it, but I don't know how trustworthy they are...

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Medullah posted:

I thought it was asked in the thread but I don't see it...I'm likely blind.

I've been re-installing Windows for a few friends lately, and it's taking forever to re-download all the updates. I have Windows 7 SP1 saved offline, is there a good way to store other updates offline as well? Searching google finds a lot of "free apps" to do it, but I don't know how trustworthy they are...

http://www.howtogeek.com/124368/how-to-create-a-customized-windows-7-installation-disc-with-integrated-updates/
http://www.symantec.com/connect/articles/creating-windows-7-self-updating-hardware-independent-image-using-deployment-solution-69sp4
http://www.petervanderwoude.nl/post...-effective-way/

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Not necessarily a software request, but if there is one (or various) apps that can help me out, that'd be great.

I need to flatten and reinstall a WinXP PC but I need to make sure (as close as reasonably possible without going into "MICROSCOPE ANALYSIS" territory) that previous data in the hard drive cannot be recovered.

Is there any "easy" way to do this? Is there any software you recommend for this?

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Not necessarily a software request, but if there is one (or various) apps that can help me out, that'd be great.

I need to flatten and reinstall a WinXP PC but I need to make sure (as close as reasonably possible without going into "MICROSCOPE ANALYSIS" territory) that previous data in the hard drive cannot be recovered.

Is there any "easy" way to do this? Is there any software you recommend for this?

You can DBAN it
http://www.dban.org/download

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

DBAN is the easiest way.

Curses! Beaten!

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Fantastic, thank you!

Is there any software that will pull the serial keys off installed software (even only Microsoft software would do) and store it in text files?

One last question, is there anywhere I can (legitimately) get a Windows XP image that already has the latest updates already installed? Not a big deal, but it would save quite some time.

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Is there any software that will pull the serial keys off installed software (even only Microsoft software would do) and store it in text files?

Magical Jellybean Key Finder

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Fantastic, thank you!

Further to this, save yourself some time and just do the single overwrite pass. More is a waste, and I think it defaults to 3 or something.

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Fantastic, thank you!

One last question, is there anywhere I can (legitimately) get a Windows XP image that already has the latest updates already installed? Not a big deal, but it would save quite some time.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/product_cd_key_viewer.html

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Fantastic, thank you!

I like Siw.exe, gives you loads of information.

Crystael
Mar 19, 2010
So I think that my Windows 8 install may be corrupt. I've been getting various blue screen errors since I built my PC a month ago (winload.exe missing, pfn_list_corrupt, memory_management and a few others) and it's been getting worse - the frequency of the errors is increasing and sometimes I have to restart multiple times before Windows loads.

What is the best course of action here? I'm fairly sure it's not a hardware issue - I've run memtest several times - but I do wonder if there's a driver conflict somewhere. The sheer range of blue screen errors is what worries me though!

Any advice much appreciated.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Crystael posted:

So I think that my Windows 8 install may be corrupt. I've been getting various blue screen errors since I built my PC a month ago (winload.exe missing, pfn_list_corrupt, memory_management and a few others) and it's been getting worse - the frequency of the errors is increasing and sometimes I have to restart multiple times before Windows loads.

What is the best course of action here? I'm fairly sure it's not a hardware issue - I've run memtest several times - but I do wonder if there's a driver conflict somewhere. The sheer range of blue screen errors is what worries me though!

Any advice much appreciated.

Well, what do the errors say?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Crystael posted:

I'm fairly sure it's not a hardware issue - I've run memtest several times
You say that, but then this sounds a lot like how a failing harddrive would manifest itself. So make sure you check for that as well, if you didn't already.

Crystael
Mar 19, 2010

Flipperwaldt posted:

You say that, but then this sounds a lot like how a failing harddrive would manifest itself. So make sure you check for that as well, if you didn't already.

I've run Disk Checker and nothing has come up - that was my first thought too. Are there any more rigorous drive checking utilities I could try? It's a Samsung 840 Pro SSD which is, ostensibly at least, quite a reliable drive.

Error messages I'm getting include:

memory_management
pfn_list_corrupt
winload.exe is missing or corrupt (on start up)

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Crystael posted:

I've run Disk Checker and nothing has come up - that was my first thought too. Are there any more rigorous drive checking utilities I could try? It's a Samsung 840 Pro SSD which is, ostensibly at least, quite a reliable drive.

Error messages I'm getting include:

memory_management
pfn_list_corrupt
winload.exe is missing or corrupt (on start up)

CrystalDiskInfo does pretty basic things like check SMART info, drive lifetime, temperature, etc., but its key feature is that it has a prominent alarm system that's triggered at observed SMART values that mean drives are dying, not the ones they expected when SMART became a standard.

On top of that, I'd roll all my drivers back to things picked up from the manufacturer's website and (if this is what I did) be a bit more judicious about what I pulled off of DriverIdentifier or Station-Drivers.

If that all checks out, and the system's stable enough, delete and rebuild the page file (system managed is fine) in advanced system settings, then try (in order) Command Prompt (admin) > sfc /scannow, Repairing the Windows installation off a startup menu or install disk, [insert a few things other people will think of before I will here], and if it's not too tedious or you have literally no other options that involve a new computer, THEN you can give backing up anything valuable on C:\ and paving it a try (note that Windows 8 Refresh is actually decent now and actually uses your install media to rebuild itself so just use that).

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Can anyone who has worked with Excel tell me if there is a way to determine when a particular cell was edited, or does it just apply to the whole document? I am reviewing a file that is basically just a simple log, but I'm curious whether or not there was a way to tell if a bunch of entries were forged/recently added.