Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Hilarion posted:

No, not spin like vanguards in this game spin. I mean spin like a speedballing ballerina with a lightstick spin.

Well yeah, the thing was, there was a wind-down on most attacks you could spin like a jackass with. Particularly the ever-popular kata attacks.

If you had a single lightsaber, you could also switch to fast style and execute a crouching lunge uppercut to punish them. Thus, if they missed they were dead, because the attack rooted you to the spot for a bit due to wind-down. Words cannot describe the endless rage I provoked when I casually stabbed people in the crotch in the middle of their bullshit mouse-dragged ballerina spin.

For the sake of illustration for people who never played it but played Chivalry, imagine that after every time some mouse-dragging vanguard rear end in a top hat executed a 360-degree doom attack, they were totally defenseless for almost two precious seconds. That would make it a lot more interesting, no? If you didn't get everyone around you, you died.

Being a mouse-dragging bastard didn't really work so well with regular attacking, since heavy saber style could break through fast and medium saber style mouse-dragged attacks (you couldn't mouse drag very well on heavy saber style attacks). It was very well-balanced in that manner, at least in Outcast. Which also had the option of jumpkicking them in the face.

The only time heavy saber style counters didn't reliably work was mouse dragged repeatedly dual saber side slashing, but that was Jedi Academy only and almost no one did it. The only reason this worked was a programming quirk too, dual saber and saber staff got an effective +1 to Saber Defense and Saber Offense.

And if it wasn't a duel server, shrug your shoulders and hit them with a rocket to the face for trying that poo poo.

This sure was a lot of words about a ten year old game. I was pretty good at it, actually.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Apr 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zephirum
Jan 7, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
A Star Wars mod for Chivalry would be amazing

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

It wouldn't really work with the current "aim for the tip" parry system.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Zephirum posted:

Alas Disney's lawyers would shut that down instantly.

Admiral Snuggles
Dec 12, 2008

:qq: Freedom :qq:

Zephirum posted:

Mega Comrade posted:

Alas Disney's lawyers would shut that down instantly.

:smith:

e: Been playing a little this weekend and the game feels smoother than previous patches. They really like to not do slight incremental patches I guess. :shrug:

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
The game definitly feels different latley. Attacks just dont seem to connect when they should and I get hit from what should be out of range or before the animation gets to me (i know the polearms do this).

It really feels like it comes down to a slight "lag" in the netcode or something. Its not like a highping, its just like everything is just a smidgen off.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Nutsngum posted:

The game definitly feels different latley. Attacks just dont seem to connect when they should and I get hit from what should be out of range or before the animation gets to me (i know the polearms do this).

It really feels like it comes down to a slight "lag" in the netcode or something. Its not like a highping, its just like everything is just a smidgen off.

Definitely, the animations don't always sync up with the damage model or whatever you call it. Overall though, i'd say it's pretty good considering there are a bunch of people running around flailing things at each other, it's a wonder it works as well as it does.

I played some FFA tonight. :cripes: They may as well change the name to Vanguard mode. Who decided that making the vanguard fast with a strong weapon and pretty good armor was a good idea :psyduck:. They can just wave their sword around wantonly and get kills, it's like putting the game into easy mode.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
You know, after having played on some 32+ player servers, I can see where you guys are coming from when it comes to Vanguards. When nobody is able to pay attention to you it's all too easy to just grab the biggest weapon you have and flail it around in a big melee. That those servers tend to be laggier doesn't help either, of course. Either way, lower-pop servers feel a lot more balanced overall.

Nutsngum posted:

You can enable weapon hitboxes in the console by typing in aoc_drawtracer 1. They seem to be accurate with the weapon models though, so it's probably mostly the lag that does it.

Robot Randy
Dec 31, 2011

by Lowtax

Exodee posted:

You know, after having played on some 32+ player servers, I can see where you guys are coming from when it comes to Vanguards. When nobody is able to pay attention to you it's all too easy to just grab the biggest weapon you have and flail it around in a big melee. That those servers tend to be laggier doesn't help either, of course. Either way, lower-pop servers feel a lot more balanced overall.

You can enable weapon hitboxes in the console by typing in aoc_drawtracer 1. They seem to be accurate with the weapon models though, so it's probably mostly the lag that does it.

This isn't exclusive to 32+ player servers though. I never play above 24 player servers and there's always a bunch of idiot Vanguards running around teamkilling because they're too goddamn stupid to know what an overhead or stab is. Yet they're also topping the scoreboard because as long as you get a kill it's acceptable losses :downs:

Not to mention that kickvotes never pass against them, yet archers who fire a single arrow near a teammate are gone instantly.

Admiral Snuggles
Dec 12, 2008

Robot Randy posted:

This isn't exclusive to 32+ player servers though. I never play above 24 player servers and there's always a bunch of idiot Vanguards running around teamkilling because they're too goddamn stupid to know what an overhead or stab is. Yet they're also topping the scoreboard because as long as you get a kill it's acceptable losses :downs:

Not to mention that kickvotes never pass against them, yet archers who fire a single arrow near a teammate are gone instantly.

Democracy doesn't exist yet. (America hasn't invented it.) :smugdog:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

What drives me insane about Vanguards are ones with extremely glitchy Brandistocks.

I have literally seen dudes who stab, kill one dude, then somehow "twitch" about 60 degrees to the side and kill another dude without stabbing again.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
The mechanics in this game are a bit frustrating sometimes but damned if it isn't fun.

Although recently I keep seeing this stupid bullshit where vanguards get up close and bow down while overheading and it hits instantly, It's not hard to parry since it is usually telegraphed by a still moment where they get up real close so you can just look up and parry, Still annoying though.

Also to play as archer isn't hard, you just have to learn to fight in melee first without being able to reliably take damage or dodge. Once you can fight knights in melee as an archer, than you can start working on learning how to shoot properly and really start pissing people off. I recommend the cudgel since it has more range than the model would suggest and being a blunt weapon does extra damage to knights and vans. Killing a MaA is harder but if you can parry well and keep them in range, (even if you have to go full berserk to get them on the defensive) they run out of stamina fairly quickly (sometimes) and stumble, giving you ample time to stove their skull in with your light one handed melee weapons.

Zephirum posted:

It already almost is considering you can get dinged with the handle of a halberd for the same damage as the pointy end. It may as well be a lightsaber

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 23, 2013

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

dog nougat posted:

I played some FFA tonight. :cripes: They may as well change the name to Vanguard mode. Who decided that making the vanguard fast with a strong weapon and pretty good armor was a good idea :psyduck:. They can just wave their sword around wantonly and get kills, it's like putting the game into easy mode.

I know how it gets irritating the way Dark Souls players insert their game into every conversation about other games, but the Halberd type weapons in DaS have a longer recovery animation from a swing if you don't connect. I feel like that would do a lot for the Vanguard class balance in this game.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

I know how it gets irritating the way Dark Souls players insert their game into every conversation about other games, but the Halberd type weapons in DaS have a longer recovery animation from a swing if you don't connect. I feel like that would do a lot for the Vanguard class balance in this game.

You lose more stamina if you miss rather than hit. I'm not sure if different weapons make you lose more or less stamina, but they really should.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Polearms being just as dangerous when the hit connects with the pole than when the hit connects at the tip is probably the single dumbest feature in this game, it could have made all difference between vanguards dominating the game or just being a good assault class for the first wave of an attack.

Slappy Moose
Jan 23, 2010

THE FILTHY IMMIGRANT

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Polearms being just as dangerous when the hit connects with the pole than when the hit connects at the tip is probably the single dumbest feature in this game, it could have made all difference between vanguards dominating the game or just being a good assault class for the first wave of an attack.

That wouldn't help the longsword spam at all, though, and I see far more vanguards just spinning with swords than I do with polearms.

Elth posted:

You lose more stamina if you miss rather than hit. I'm not sure if different weapons make you lose more or less stamina, but they really should.
It can't be that much more, then, because I see Vanguards just run in circles blindly (nobody was within 20 feet of them) and just swing nonstop for about 8 seconds, back and forth.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
66% off @ Green Man Gaming at the moment. 9 bucks total.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I really need to get into Goon Duels to master this system. it's finicky and aggravating as hell, but still fun.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

I gave up on mastering the game a while ago. I just go into it assuming I will be team killed and that I will die for inexplicable reasons. Then I aim for the head and use big swords or maces to makes the heads fall off and spam laugh. I normally go positive, thats enough for me.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

WoodrowSkillson posted:

I gave up on mastering the game a while ago. I just go into it assuming I will be team killed and that I will die for inexplicable reasons. Then I aim for the head and use big swords or maces to makes the heads fall off and spam laugh. I normally go positive, thats enough for me.

A game like this is not for mastering and playing competitively, it is for blowing off steam by blowing off heads.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I'm honestly starting to agree. Half the time whether something hits or not seems obtuse and arbitrary.

Then on top of that you get stuff like instant overheads.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

DreamShipWrecked posted:

A game like this is not for mastering and playing competitively, it is for blowing off steam by blowing off heads.

You think that until you see some rear end in a top hat on your team or (more likely) the other team who is some crazy medieval European analogue for Lu Bu who just blows away anyone and everyone that tries to step up against them.

gently caress those people.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Tiler Kiwi posted:

You think that until you see some rear end in a top hat on your team or (more likely) the other team who is some crazy medieval European analogue for Lu Bu who just blows away anyone and everyone that tries to step up against them.

gently caress those people.

There is no shame in being beaten by the pugstar. It is he who should be ashamed, for he fears playing against his own kind in case his inadequacies are brought to light.

Admiral Snuggles
Dec 12, 2008

This game is about swinging around wildly with the claymore chopping off heads. And then blocking dudes with a :smugdog: because the claymore blocks really fast, and cutting that guys head off too.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
It's kind of refreshing to see you guys all agree that the melee system is capricious, every time you bring that up in game you'll invariably get a pair of total nerdlingers claim that it's actually great, a marvel of engineering, you've just never seen high level play that really shows it off.

Someone uses a Nordic Axe that is magically outreaching a bastard sword, they blame it on lag. An overhead instantly hits from a mile away, they blame it on lag. Anything nonsensical happens, they blame it on lag, kind of like they don't loving understand that part of the making a marvel of engineering melee system is DEALING WITH THE loving LAG.

Also yeah, I got all 3 Veteran helmets before they got bugged out, and also unlocked every secondary weapon, including the stupid daggers. I tell you very truthfully, there's no 'good' at this game. There's competent and incompetent, everything else is just rolling with the lag, which might as well be an RNG. Vanguards and Knights get the better of the RNG more often than not due to their longer weapons and better health, but it's all just an RNG. MaAs have been pretty much objectively worse than both heavy classes for a long, long time because of this, so don't play those while you're learning and even once you have a grasp of things only pick them up when you want to be more hilarious than effective. You definitely will be hilarious.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I got all four Veteran Helmets within 8 hours of play.

I don't know what happened, but I then stopped playing for a few weeks, came back, and honestly everything seems worse.

The problem is honestly with the blocking system and hit detection in general.

Fundamentally, to be frank you should not have to block the tip of a weapon to count the block. That is the worst part. If you fix that, you remove stupid crap like Vanguards facehugging you with a halberd.

The instant overhead thing there's honestly nothing you can really do about. If you restrict mousedown look you will hear howls of rage from people who think having the most sensitive mouse and moving it around like you have Parkinson's Disease should get you wins.

The two issues above combine into a horrific chimera, and then evolve into a hydra when the third head of lag factors in. Lag and fast mouse-look wreak total havoc on what is supposed to be a precise blocking system.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Being able to spin around with full sensitivity regardless of which weapon you're using is pretty stupid, you'd think it could be a significant factor that distinguishes various weapons from one another.

Another thing that kind of pisses me off is that this game has been out for a while now and I still have to go to my windows control panel and disable my joystick and xbox controller before I start playing otherwise my view spins uncontrollably, you'd think it's a significant bug that could be easily fixed but I guess not.

Honestly I don't know why I complain about this game so much, I really want to like it but it's kind of bullshit, sometimes I log in and have fun but I often just sign off after 5 minutes.

Edward_Lapine
Jan 21, 2011

I thought you were actually gay, I mean...
So did I, for a bit, but then I found out about the prohibitive standards of hygiene, and all that DANCING!
Me and many others here will admit Chivalry is a far cry from any "serious" or "competitive" multiplayer. With a recent overhaul of the parry/block system, the really quick alt+chop swing, and the 8th Vanguard Helicopter Brigade making any melee into a meat grinder, the game is still fun overall. Being a new gaming "company" that Torn Banner is, they are doing a great thing by attempting to listen to the Chivalry community, but "squeaky wheel gets the oil" and all that with the vanguard players and of course they want to curtail towards the general playing public who seems to fawn over Vanguards (and Knights to an extent).

Call me optimistic, but probably in a year with a few patches, content updates, and just Torn Banner themselves growing and learning will make a more balanced game. The illusion of choice this game tends to have is pretty lovely at the moment. Pick this class and this weapon to win, while other combinations will have to work harder to get kills.

God drat I hope they fix Vanguards and do something with blocking/parrying soon. :ohdear:

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Being able to spin around with full sensitivity regardless of which weapon you're using is pretty stupid, you'd think it could be a significant factor that distinguishes various weapons from one another.

Again, there's no way you're going to get this to happen. For reasons I cannot fathom, a lot of PC gamers hate the idea of mouselook sensitivity being restricted for any reason whatsoever. You'd think that you proposed murdering their mother or something by how vociferous any objection to that is. Aside from the fan outcry, the devs encourage screwing around with mouse sensitivity.

This sort of stuff was talked about as far back as ten years ago, back when Jedi Academy was out. It's the exact same thing. The only reasons Jedi Academy is still playable is because they explicitly designed lightsaber combat around third person (reducing high mouse sensitivity's effectiveness for most regular swings), it had reasonably competent automatic block, and most mouselook exploits are usually counterable. It just does not have that "this is bullshit" feel for the most part. Most of the aspects that could be decried as bullshit were additions made in the transition between Jedi Outcast to Jedi Academy.

The way I see it, you just cannot have both mouse sensitivity-related bullshit while also requiring precise manual block. It's a toxic combination ripe for system exploitation. Either loosen the blocking requirements, or turn down mouse sensitivity shenanigans.

The problem with reducing blocking's precision is that it has a chance of making shields extraordinarily powerful. Then again, as they stand now they are not that great, so...

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 25, 2013

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Tallgeese posted:

Again, there's no way you're going to get this to happen. For reasons I cannot fathom, a lot of PC gamers hate the idea of mouselook sensitivity being restricted for any reason whatsoever. You'd think that you proposed murdering their mother or something by how vociferous any objection to that is. Aside from the fan outcry, the devs encourage screwing around with mouse sensitivity.

This sort of stuff was talked about as far back as ten years ago, back when Jedi Academy was out. It's the exact same thing. The only reasons Jedi Academy is still playable is because they explicitly designed lightsaber combat around third person (reducing high mouse sensitivity's effectiveness for most regular swings), it had reasonably competent automatic block, and most mouselook exploits are usually counterable. It just does not have that "this is bullshit" feel for the most part. Most of the aspects that could be decried as bullshit were additions made in the transition between Jedi Outcast to Jedi Academy.

The way I see it, you just cannot have both mouse sensitivity-related bullshit while also requiring precise manual block. It's a toxic combination ripe for system exploitation. Either loosen the blocking requirements, or turn down mouse sensitivity shenanigans.

The problem with reducing blocking's precision is that it has a chance of making shields extraordinarily powerful. Then again, as they stand now they are not that great, so...

Introduce shield durability then, if they get too powerful from making block changes.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

ToastyPotato posted:

Introduce shield durability then, if they get too powerful from making block changes.

That seems like a good idea to me.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

ToastyPotato posted:

That wouldn't fix anything at all, and would just encourage people to spam attacks until the shields break, since you can't counter-attack effectively while using one.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Elth posted:

That wouldn't fix anything at all, and would just encourage people to spam attacks until the shields break, since you can't counter-attack effectively while using one.

Make it so the shield still protects you when you shield bash. That way you can push people off of you who are right in your face attacking.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I would rather they fix what they have than introduce new things they're clearly going to gently caress up.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Babe Magnet posted:

I would rather they fix what they have than introduce new things they're clearly going to gently caress up.

I would agree, but I have a suspicion that they do not think things are broken. I'm under the impression that many of the opinions expressed in this thread page are considered minority opinions.

Ah well, at least it's still fun.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST

Tallgeese posted:

Mouse sensitivity is already capped once your swing starts though?

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I know that. I'd say it's not capped very well, considering the existence of helicopter Vanguards.

TheNakedFantastic
Sep 22, 2006

LITERAL WHITE SUPREMACIST
Honestly I can't tell what these huge changes everyone's bitching about are. Balance seems more or less where it was when the game started, most of the balance changes have revolved around buffing or nerfing some of the weapons, mostly not to drastic effect. I get lower scores than when the game came out I admit but I think that's mostly that more of the people still playing are good at the game and now how to exploit its systems. Hit detection is in my opinion about the best I've ever seen, although you still see janky poo poo like getting super fast overheads from looking down or whatever. A lot of the games problems are genre problems in general (how the game handles hugging, blocking, "light saber" weapons, etc) that don't really have anything to do with the latest patches. Chivalry seems like it wants to be more medieval quake than mountain blade but it could learn a thing or two from how m&b handles polearms and weapon momentum. The biggest probelm the game has right now in my opinion is the blocking system, this is something that mount and blade also does better I feel but I don't think they should copy the directional system directly from there either. "Follow the tip" and feinting vs blocking just aren't a hugely fun system as is.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
1.2gb update coming down the Steam pipe right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Big patch incoming. Let's see now...

• Locked thread