Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Don't stick you arm inside a thing that has moving parts is generally good advice. Also I would imagine a mobile suit gettin' pretty hot.

Anyway has anyone here had to contact bandai for replacement parts or sprues before?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

muike posted:

Don't stick you arm inside a thing that has moving parts is generally good advice. Also I would imagine a mobile suit gettin' pretty hot.

Anyway has anyone here had to contact bandai for replacement parts or sprues before?

If you're outside Japan you're SOL, though I think some of the shipping proxies will do it for you if you ask. Gundamstoreandmore.com has some extra sprues from damaged kits that they sell from time to time.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I've heard about people having luck before, so I shot off an email anyway. If that that doesn't work, I really don't want to buy a whole other kit just because this one part of the construction is terrible and I'm a giant retard. Maybe I'll just figure some kind of fix out for myself.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Contact Travis at http://www.genteikits.com/ if you'd like to order replacement parts. He also sells exclusive kits if you're looking to pick one up. He's a decent guy.

Edit: Looks like they've suspended that service until May 10 since they're backlogged.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

boom boom boom posted:

You're not gonna have much luck with that bro, the ones you want are the rare, expensive ones, the other two are dirt cheap everywhere.

Weird, since I think you can still buy all four individually.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

muike posted:

I've heard about people having luck before, so I shot off an email anyway. If that that doesn't work, I really don't want to buy a whole other kit just because this one part of the construction is terrible and I'm a giant retard. Maybe I'll just figure some kind of fix out for myself.

Got a picture of the damage? I can't imagine snapping a piece so bad it could never be salvaged unless fire was involved and the plastic is literally melted. Lazy modeller stuff follows:

I fixed a pretty bad screw up myself using the Non-Toxic Testors Blue tube cement to create plastic goop for filler. I put some onto a cardboard surface, cut a stick of sprue off to dip in the cement (get the end of the sprue stick covered good), and let it sit for 20 minutes while until the plastic at the end of the sprue stick melts. Now you've basically got liquid plastic in the same color as the small piece you've wrecked, and since it's on the stick you can use it as an applicator.

I'd secure the part with the good toxic type of model cement, then fill in any gaps or spaces with the non-toxic melted concoction. It'll be an ugly fix at first. Don't focus on getting the surfaces flat, just get everything filled in with plastic. You'll need to leave it for at least 24 hours to get the melted plastic to set and you'll have to trim with an exacto blade and sand down like you would sprue gates.

The other method would be to cement the parts, fill gaps and holes with white putty, then paint the part to cover the putty. If you use melted sprue plastic you can avoid painting.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'm not really worried about looks, at least. The problem is that the peg was very small, of a particular shape, and is now gone. I may be able to figure out some kind of fix for it if I can't get a replacement part, but in this case, I think I need a replacement.
http://www.dalong.net/review/etc/bt1/p/bt1_mb0011.JPG
It's piece I3 in step 2. I can give you a pic of mine, but all it is is the plate the peg was once mounted on.

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Maybe try some 2-part epoxy putty to reshape the peg? Might not be strong enough to have that eye piece move. If that isn't an issue, why not just glue it in place?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I'll probably just glue it in place if no other solution presents itself, but I think learning how to pin parts might be good here. Due to the way it's constructed, I'd be able to keep all the mobility if I do it right. Ultimately, I'm not that upset since I wanted to grab this and see what it was like before I went whole hog on Votoms kits.

edit: just read up more on Gentei's site and they only do Gundam kits. Understandable, but poo poo on my balls

muike fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 21, 2013

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Find some thin metal rod of the appropriate diameter and set it into that plate. You can usually find that kind of stuff at hobby shops.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

muike posted:

I'll probably just glue it in place if no other solution presents itself, but I think learning how to pin parts might be good here. Due to the way it's constructed, I'd be able to keep all the mobility if I do it right. Ultimately, I'm not that upset since I wanted to grab this and see what it was like before I went whole hog on Votoms kits.

edit: just read up more on Gentei's site and they only do Gundam kits. Understandable, but poo poo on my balls

That little piece is not what I had in mind, looks like you're out of luck on that one... Even if you glued the peg in place there's no way there's enough surface area for the glue to stick for it to survive constant repositioning. I'd try rebuilding the part by bending a very small T shape out of a paper clip. Or just glue the eye piece front and center to the head.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
did the 30th anniversary clear stuff sell well? I have been on vacation in japan for the last week and I cant find the clear PG strike anywhere. I went to at least 5 large stores and 3 used stores in Akihabara and found nothing.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Finally got around to getting this kit finished. Very pleased with the build, and makes me appreciate the MS design more as a whole.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

ACanofPepsi posted:

I fixed a pretty bad screw up myself using the Non-Toxic Testors Blue tube cement to create plastic goop for filler. I put some onto a cardboard surface, cut a stick of sprue off to dip in the cement (get the end of the sprue stick covered good), and let it sit for 20 minutes while until the plastic at the end of the sprue stick melts. Now you've basically got liquid plastic in the same color as the small piece you've wrecked, and since it's on the stick you can use it as an applicator.
This is genius. I rarely don't paint a thing, but it's still the kind of stuff I could see working on parts I lose etc.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arquinsiel posted:

This is genius. I rarely don't paint a thing, but it's still the kind of stuff I could see working on parts I lose etc.

You can do this with the clear Testors and Tamiya cements too - dissolve some sprue in small quantities of it and you have some filler that you can just trowel into whatever gap needs to be filled.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I'd probably just use Humbrol since it's what I have handy, but I suspect any polystyrene cement should do the job reasonably well.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

wow, didn't see these two coming

mg Geara Doga
http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2013/04/mg-1100-ams-119-geara-doga-announced.html

hg Gerbera Tetra

http://gundamguy.blogspot.ca/2013/04/hguc-1144-agx-04-gerbera-tetra-announced.html

Faltion
Jul 4, 2004

I am an anachronism
Holy crap, I've been on the edge forever in picking up a Geara Doga HGUC, now I'm going straight for the MG. It's a stretch, but if they added the Sleeves markings it would be amazing. I hope this means maybe a MG Jagd Doga (it is the CCA 30th anniversary after all) and also leads to MG Geara Zulus. This makes me even more excited about a Ver. Ka Sazabi. Also the Gebera Tetra has needed a refresh for a long long time, this is awesome.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Gerbera Tetra :swoon:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Sweet jebus an actual Tetra and it's beautiful :flashfap:

So, what are the odds of some sort of limited run of the GP04 concept after it's out?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

404GoonNotFound posted:

Sweet jebus an actual Tetra and it's beautiful :flashfap:

So, what are the odds of some sort of limited run of the GP04 concept after it's out?

We got the Delta and Delta Kai as normal releases after the Delta Plus came out; we may luck out here too.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Bought some Gundam markers, they're actually way more useful than I imagined they would be. I thought they'd just be more expensive versions of markers I could get at an art supply store, but the ink certainly does something different. It goes on as a liquid so it can be pushed around and faded with a q-tip, but in about 20 minutes it dries and becomes durable, able to withstand touching it with bare fingers. The double ends are also nice. I used my brown marker to add some grime to a LineBarrel Hind Kind model I bought. This is a super fun kit to detail, lots of panel lines and the arms have some sort of muscle strand look to them. I took a photo but my phone didn't focus properly, it looks better as a thumbnail, but looks great in person.

The left piece is assembled and panel-lined, the right one was grimed up with a brown gundam marker and a q-tip.

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 23, 2013

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

That Geara Doga is looking really nice, I always liked the design of the suit. I guess we're gonna be getting a lot of UC kits now there's no series airing at the moment.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

That's some really nice boxart.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Are they releasing updated versions of SEED stuff to go along with the HD remakes? Hopefully some of the grunt suits get the treatment too in that case.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Kitfox88 posted:

Are they releasing updated versions of SEED stuff to go along with the HD remakes? Hopefully some of the grunt suits get the treatment too in that case.

I think it's limited to Strike Gundam since the original kit was outdated compared to the other four GAT-X suits.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'd just like to see Blast Impulse.

Also, I've played around with the Zeta Gundam 2.0 for a few days now and honestly I think it's pretty sturdy. Maybe the RG Zeta is setting the bar really low, but I can actually move this thing's legs without fear of it self-destructing. The only real problem I have with it is that I can not figure out how the hell it's supposed to hold the Hyper Mega Launcher.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Apr 26, 2013

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlitzBlast posted:

The only real problem I have with it is that I can not figure out how the hell it's supposed to hold the Hyper Mega Launcher.

Either get an action base 2 if you want to put the HML in an action pose, or do the Wing EW trick where the left arm helps prop it up.

I've got a Zeta 2.0 HD color coming my way, so we can compare kits when I get it built. :)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

I think it's limited to Strike Gundam since the original kit was outdated compared to the other four GAT-X suits.

Do you reckon the sword and launcher packs will be sold separately, or together like the RG version?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I may pick up the mg aile strike, as I'm building the mg blitz right now and it's a good simple build.

Also, the blitz is a great looking suit that had the misfortune of being paired with a awful, awful pilot.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Do you reckon the sword and launcher packs will be sold separately, or together like the RG version?

They are being sold together, but Bandai made them an online exclusive item, and you can't just buy the old Sword/Launcher pack cause they don't have the hardpoints to be put onto the Aile pack.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

They are being sold together, but Bandai made them an online exclusive item, and you can't just buy the old Sword/Launcher pack cause they don't have the hardpoints to be put onto the Aile pack.

Ah, okay. What the quality's like on the RG version of the Aile Strike and the Skygrasper kit with the other two strike packs? (And can you "Perfect Strike" them together?) I should also probably stop eying the 1/1000 or 1/500 Space Battleship Yamato 2199's on HLJ too :ohdear:.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Ah, okay. What the quality's like on the RG version of the Aile Strike and the Skygrasper kit with the other two strike packs? (And can you "Perfect Strike" them together?)

If you have experience with RG, then you know what to expect. That said, all videos I have seen on RG Strike and the Skygrasper have been positive. However, you technically can't "perfect strike" them together since there's no connection points on the aile pack for the sword and the launcher to connect.

Edit: Here's a link to a site that's selling the MG Remaster Perfect Strike in a combo deal if you are interested. http://gginfinite.com/MG-1-100-Aile...Combo-Deal.html

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 26, 2013

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

TaurusOxford posted:

That's some really nice boxart.

I always wondered who does all the boxart, and if they have a pixiv or something. Considering MG's come out every month or so I'd guess its just the one artist. What a sweet job that must be.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

If you have experience with RG, then you know what to expect. That said, all videos I have seen on RG Strike and the Skygrasper have been positive. However, you technically can't "perfect strike" them together since there's no connection points on the aile pack for the sword and the launcher to connect.

Edit: Here's a link to a site that's selling the MG Remaster Perfect Strike in a combo deal if you are interested. http://gginfinite.com/MG-1-100-Aile...Combo-Deal.html

Thanks, but if I do pull the trigger on a Strike I'll probably just get the RG and the Skygrasper kits. $80 is just a bit much for me to mentally justify, plus I don't really have the room for an MG anywhere at the moment.

Silentman0
Jul 11, 2005

I have a new neighbor. Heard he comes from far away
I just finished the MG S Gundam, and I think that was the closest I've ever come to clearing out a polycap runner. I was actually thinking "Is this really happening? Is this how the world ends?"

This is actually what I consider important in my life.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Now that I'm getting around to building the protagonist UC suits, I should probably consider getting their final enemies. So on that note, how good are the MGs of the Zeong, the O, the Qubeley, the Sazabi, and the Sinanju? I hear that the O and the Sazabi were poo poo, but are we talking terribly engineered or just really fragile?

(I think I just heard my wallet cry.)

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

the sazabi proportions are god awful and the O has some really dumb decisions- it's got a bunch of seam lines, it's a complete brick and it only comes with two beams for the beam sabers, which is ridiculous given how expensive it is.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Now that I'm getting around to building the protagonist UC suits, I should probably consider getting their final enemies. So on that note, how good are the MGs of the Zeong, the O, the Qubeley, the Sazabi, and the Sinanju? I hear that the O and the Sazabi were poo poo, but are we talking terribly engineered or just really fragile?

(I think I just heard my wallet cry.)

I know the Sinanju MG is very highly regarded. The only problem you're going to have is putting intricate gold stickers on all the gold decorative bits, or just painting all the gold. That's what's putting me off buying it honestly, it seems a little out of my skill range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum
Sinanju is a very very good model. Very solid joints, built solid as a rock. He's also pretty goddamn big, taller than Unicorn in destroy mode by a good head or so. Only thing I'd ding it for really are its wrist joints, which are as limp as roast celery. I didn't have much problem with his gold stickers, you just have to be careful putting them on. His shield looks amazing with all the gold trim.

Also there's a rumoured new version of a Sazabi, so you might want to wait and see for it.

Ignimbrite fucked around with this message at 09:57 on Apr 28, 2013

• Locked thread