Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I don't know how one would go about responsibly reporting on it but there is really no defense for these kinds of acts. Someone with no money or resources could cause the same type of damage through various means.

I really wish the dialog would be geared towards sensible prevention but it will most likely be More Security®.

For something like this I would imagine it would be better cultural and religious sensitivity but that won't happen when we have 24 hour news outlets spewing wink/nod (or brazen) cultural and religious bias (or outright racism/hate).

What kind of prevention do you even do outside of security? All the ingredients are unrestricted and not really restrictable. Even if you wanted to make background checks on black powder or something, it or any number of other low explosives can be made trivially from source ingredients if you have basic chemistry knowledge. I'm not sure what other preemptive searches for possible bombers you could do that wouldn't be at least as firmly under "More Security" as just putting out more officers and searches at events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

sweet thursday posted:

I talked about this before, but the Harper Government (registered trademark) is criticizing the new Liberal leader for thinking exactly that... you know, we should figure out the root causes of why these things happen and try to figure out solutions based on that

Is this somehow relevant to the Boston situation?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Hey all, I'm working on assembling a timeline of the thread and what happened (as I suggested earlier), and while I've been making some progress there's quite a lot of pages to go through (I've only made it through page 25/720)! If anyone would like to help out and split the workload so that I can get this up as quickly as possible, please PM me.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

vaginal culture posted:

Is this somehow relevant to the Boston situation?
As relevant as a Canadian politician commenting on the Boston situation could possibly be

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Thanks for keeping me on my toes, though. Maybe you have a question for Jeff Bauman?

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

For something like this I would imagine it would be better cultural and religious sensitivity but that won't happen when we have 24 hour news outlets spewing wink/nod (or brazen) cultural and religious bias (or outright racism/hate).

Political and religious fanatics (whether individuals, cohesive groups, or those wielding political power) who believe that using violence against those who don't share their ideology is legitimate are unlikely persuaded against violence by greater cultural or religious sensitivity. For the most part, increased tolerance is not part of their agenda.

There are many, many reasons to strive for increased cultural sensitivity nut doing so is unlikely to stop those prone to fanaticism developing extremist beliefs and feeling justified in acting on those beliefs.

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

evilweasel posted:

An aunt and the father claimed they were framed but I don't recall hearing the mother say that.

Mother of Bombing Suspects: ‘My Sons Are Innocent!’

Read more: http://foxnewsinsider.com/2013/04/20/audio-mother-boston-bombing-suspects-speaks-out-%E2%80%98my-sons-are-innocent%E2%80%99#ixzz2R9pL4ozx

Sunset
Aug 15, 2005

evilweasel posted:

An aunt and the father claimed they were framed but I don't recall hearing the mother say that.

I wonder if the mother will end up thinking that in a way she is partly responsible for all of this or at least the loss of one of her children (or essentially both, really).

They brothers seemed to be okay with things until the mother advocated for more moral followings/Islam. Though there doesn't seem to be any belief that the mother pushed for any
sort of radical behavior, she has been stated as being skeptical/not supportive of US Govt. I don't know if that sort of attitude was there prior to the FBI starting to visit the parents to inform them of their child's behavior, but I don't think it is a stretch to say every parent wants to assume their child has a good and kind heart, and that maybe there is something else going on other then something being wrong with their child. A lot of this seems to have to do with family strife and general life problems that can be difficult to deal with. Although the older brother seemed to turn heavily towards Islam, even if in a radical way - I still have trouble seeing any of this as something that was believed by the brothers to be some sort of grand strike in the name of religion and much more so as emotional/psychological breakdown. He could have been very heavily invested in Islam, maybe turning to it because of a lot of personal issues he was having - but maybe those mental(?) issues are the driving force behind these recent actions.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Today a man was arrested in the garage where I work for, allegedly, having various materials used in crafting explosive devices in the trunk of his car along with stacks of architectural designs and blueprints. Brilliant, man.

Philadelphia, by the way.

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down
He could be a contractor working on a new building?

aleph1
Apr 16, 2004

WSJ posted:

Anzor Tsarnaev said he was "outraged" by his son's decision to drop boxing. He said Tamerlan told him that a Muslim must not punch another man in the face.

This stuck out to me as tragically ironic.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Yeah the family dynamic is definitely the most interesting part for me. It's like Tolstoy.

http://amzn.com/0307951340

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Killer robot posted:

...I'm not sure what other preemptive searches for possible bombers you could do that wouldn't be at least as firmly under "More Security" as just putting out more officers and searches at events.

And then the queues for searches become a target, so what did we gain?

I've never been much of a Kumbaya type person but the actual unity of a people and respect for others seems at an all time low and even the people who should know better continue down a path of finger pointing and intolerance.

Lolie posted:

Political and religious fanatics (whether individuals, cohesive groups, or those wielding political power) who believe that using violence against those who don't share their ideology is legitimate are unlikely persuaded against violence by greater cultural or religious sensitivity. For the most part, increased tolerance is not part of their agenda.

There are many, many reasons to strive for increased cultural sensitivity nut doing so is unlikely to stop those prone to fanaticism developing extremist beliefs and feeling justified in acting on those beliefs.

Well, that may be true but I've been around for a while and we've been hammering our heads on the More Security wall for a long time, to the extent we are becoming a lot like those we decry.

I don't have the answers but I do notice a lot of vitriol even in the more rational media sources and we've been down that road far too much in recent history.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Wow. So the FBI released the photos of the suspects on Thursday because of Reddit and the NY Post's vigilante sleuthing.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/04/fbi-released-tsarnaev-brothers-photos-because-reddit-and-post/64416/

Wario In Real Life
Nov 9, 2009

by T. Finninho

Mahoning posted:

Wow. So the FBI released the photos of the suspects on Thursday because of Reddit and the NY Post's vigilante sleuthing.

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2013/04/fbi-released-tsarnaev-brothers-photos-because-reddit-and-post/64416/
Which may or may not have lead to them embarking on a panicked shooting spree.

gj internet.

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

Mahoning posted:

gently caress Reddit. Really can't say it enough. "Our army of armchair detectives is way better than the FBI guys, we can do it! :downs:"

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Mahoning posted:

From the comments:

quote:

LE REDDIT ARMY - WE DO NOT FORGEIVE WE DO NOT FOURGET EXPECT US

Reddit was a big help to the manhunt and without us (and our advice animals), the FBI wouldn't have caught the suspects without our help.

Burn it...to the loving ground.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Mahoning posted:

Wow that's terrible. With Dzhokhar's face being all over the place online it isn't unreasonable to assume that the FBI wouldn't have needed that much more time to identify the brothers and might have been able to kick in their door and take without the chaos the played out.

Edit: Beaten by everyone

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Feranon posted:

gently caress Reddit. Really can't say it enough. "Our army of armchair detectives is way better than the FBI guys, we can do it! :downs:"
I don't blame the internet detectives as much as I do organizations like the NY Post giving them credibility. Sure, if you live in NYC you apparently know that that isn't a newspaper fit to wipe your rear end with, but the millions of people outside of NYC aren't going to know that.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Well, there was a lot of talk here about whether or not random people were wearing backpacks in photos

edit: we kept that chatter to ourselves though, some just emailing the proper authorities with ideas they had. That is different from acting like we were above the FBI and doing the world a favor with our bullshit.

sweet thursday fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Apr 22, 2013

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Reddit lacks both skill and accountability. The issue is that they will have their heads so far stuck up their asses and not realize that they were infinitely more harmful than helpful so when the next calamity occurs they will be convinced they could solve it singlehandedly.

Then after ruining the lives of a few random people they single out as the culprit, the FBI will show the actual suspects and Reddit will go "WE THOUGHT OF THAT FIRST" or something stupid.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.

Wario In Real Life posted:

gj internet.

Perhaps but it also lead immediately to their identification and apprehension/death. Given the generic nature of the bombs I'm not sure how many other options the FBI had at the time. When you have pictures you go to the public with them (they had already failed to match the image databases) and when you have bombers at large you usually want to move quickly. So I wonder how much differently it would have played out anyway.

As it turned out they had several more bombs built and ready to go, it's quite plausible they would have planted more if they hand't been flushed out.

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Added new revisions of the exported threads to my original post of them:

something_awful_marathon_bombing_thread_v2.zip [139 MB ZIP]
something_awful_MIT_shooting_thread_v2.zip [532 KB ZIP]
something_awful_DnD_marathon_bombing_thread_v2.zip [1.8 MB ZIP]

These will fix the issue of special characters like \/?*: etc appearing in the filenames, which caused an error unzipping on windows. Also inlined the stylesheets since you can't reference stylesheets on the local file system. It should look just like the thread normally does, all the formatting intact still.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

Samurai Sanders posted:

I don't blame the internet detectives as much as I do organizations like the NY Post giving them credibility. Sure, if you live in NYC you apparently know that that isn't a newspaper fit to wipe your rear end with, but the millions of people outside of NYC aren't going to know that.

I completely agree.

Of course, the "lesson learned" will be the the internet is harming local/federal investigations. When the reality of it was other (major) sites imminently mocked and shot down the stupidity of it all, while the news outlets were firing up the "could this be the person" stories.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I don't have the answers but I do notice a lot of vitriol even in the more rational media sources and we've been down that road far too much in recent history.

I don't know the answer either, because religious and political fanaticism is truly frightening and representing it accurately doesn't make it any less so. I'm not even sure that the public wants to understand the origins of modern jihadists. It's fascinating at an intellectual level (so are serial killers), but it doesn't necessarily give us a whole lot of information about how to prevent extremism developing in the first place.

There are a lot of shades of grey when it comes to extremism (of any flavour). The world isn't neatly divided into people who support it absolutely and those who entirely reject it. In between you have a whole lot of people who share some of the ideals expressed by extremists and whose approval or disapproval of the methods they use is situational.

quote:

With Dzhokhar's face being all over the place online it isn't unreasonable to assume that the FBI wouldn't have needed that much more time to identify the brothers and might have been able to kick in their door and take without the chaos the played out.

D&D thread says that identity wasn't established with any certainty until fingerprints were taken from the eldest brother on the way to hospital.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Reddit posted:

Reddit was a big help to the manhunt and without us (and our advice animals), the FBI wouldn't have caught the suspects without our help.

Awesome. Hopefully Mike Mulugeta and Sunil's family will be able to forgive you and forget about the poo poo you put them through with your internet vigilantism.
:thumbsup:

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Were the dudes reddit "identified" the pictures that had a whole bunch of lines saying like "these guys aren't watching the race!"

I think I saw pictures in the Free Republic thread and I don't know if they were doing their own "research" or just taking it from reddit. The guys were vaguely middle eastern, so... It could go either way.

E: I think one guy was wearing a track suit

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Reddit is a cesspool except for when they have celebrities do AMA's on there.

OH NO MY DICK
Feb 24, 2013

Forums Jesus

omg chael crash posted:

Today a man was arrested in the garage where I work for, allegedly, having various materials used in crafting explosive devices in the trunk of his car along with stacks of architectural designs and blueprints. Brilliant, man.

Philadelphia, by the way.

Where in Philly did this happen? You don't have to provide a specific place if you're afraid of internet detective bullshit.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?

Wario In Real Life posted:

Which may or may not have lead them to actually finding them. They didn't even know who they were until the Aunt phoned them after seeing the pictures.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Burn it...to the loving ground.

Most of reddit sucks and the reddit manhunt was garbage, but that comment sounds more like the sarcastic kind of stuff someone says making fun of reddit than a serious comment from them.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

asdf32 posted:

Perhaps but it also lead immediately to their identification and apprehension/death. Given the generic nature of the bombs I'm not sure how many other options the FBI had at the time. When you have pictures you go to the public with them (they had already failed to match the image databases) and when you have bombers at large you usually want to move quickly. So I wonder how much differently it would have played out anyway.

As it turned out they had several more bombs built and ready to go, it's quite plausible they would have planted more if they hand't been flushed out.

That's an assumption...personally I think they would've had an ID within a day anyway, but that's also an assumption. All we know is that someone else was killed after the photos were released. What I think is that Collier would still be alive if they weren't flushed early.

tnimark
Dec 22, 2009
Do we know who Mike Mulugeta is and how his name was even dragged into this in the first place?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kilmers Elbow posted:

The lobsters were stolen from the 7-11.

Tim Buckley nooo :(

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I'm not gonna lie, it was a little fun picking apart photographs trying to find suspicious backpack/no backpack persons. But I never took any of it very seriously because I kept saying to myself "the authorities are probably like 10 steps ahead of the entire Internet, and have access to things we don't"

And when I saw that the photos released by the FBI wasn't anyone from the Internet sleuthing, I was happy and relieved that I was right: they loving know what they're doing and don't need the help of fat lonely nerds in their basements. And to think, it took them less than 3 days to find them amongst thousands of pictures from an event attended by half a million people. Bravo FBI.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
This was the best on the street interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzlLoiyJAbI&t=44s

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
It's not like anyone on this forum was doing that

Gibbons
Dec 8, 2005

life's little hurdles
My recollection is that someone in law enforcement was actually looking at two of the guys found by Reddit - the same two the NY Post put on the front page. A news station in Houston had a previously unseen (by the public) picture of them and broadcast it, saying law enforcement were looking at these two as POI. I believe this was the evening before the Post did their thing.

Now, whether the FBI or BPD or whoever found those guys themselves or was only interested in them because Reddit found them, I don't know. But the media disobeyed the rules and ran with it. And it wasn't just the Post.

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

tnimark posted:

Do we know who Mike Mulugeta is and how his name was even dragged into this in the first place?

I believe Mike Mulgeta was stopped and had his ID checked on the scanner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

DongsMcMurphy posted:

Where in Philly did this happen? You don't have to provide a specific place if you're afraid of internet detective bullshit.

Old City/Center City.
Cross posting from the Philly thread:

I can't find any news story yet, but I met the guy the night before and he was so very out of his mind. He came to me explaining that Chris Christie and the South Philly mafia/Hell's Angels were after him, and that he "knows some deep poo poo". He also name dropped a bunch of CIA agents I'm sure he made up on the spot. :iiam:

But, yeah, no news story yet it would seem. I came back to work today and my supervisor told me he came around again earlier during the day, fell asleep in his car, and was surround by several police offers with their weapons drawn and then subsequently hauled away after they search his trunk. I'll fill you in more as I hear it, I guess.

It's more than likely unrelated though so this is probably the wrong thread.

• Locked thread