Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

n8r posted:

The only mod worth doing to these is finding an old power commander and putting a slip on map for it. I owned two of these and found that the power commander fix worked much better (and easier to install) than the fuel pressure regulator fix. You may or may not care about the surgey throttle but it bugged me enough to mess with it.

I think de-linking brakes is silly - the system worked flawlessly aside from being a pain to bleed.

Not sure what modifications you'd want to do to the bike, but these bikes don't have much of an aftermarket.

Well having a warm up circuit would be nice, but I think going the power commander route is a better option.
In 2000 they added some emissions stuff; a cat, and o2 senors, and the warm up circuit without a loss of power.
I'm considering getting a full system exhaust that exits on the left side to keep it completely out of the way of that rear wheel. If I do that I'll have an o2 bung welded in to put a lambda sensor in. That way I can take FULL advantage of the power commander and not have any lean/rich spots where I don't want them.

#1 on my list right now is saddlebags and a luggage rack. I'm not going to want to wear a backpack all the way from VA to TX.
I think de-linking the brakes is pretty silly too, it'll just get some getting used to before I take her over the mountain.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Apr 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
I know I have too many bikes already but i've been making good money and working my butt off at work lately so I felt the need for some instant gratification. So I said what the heck i've wanted one of these for at least 2 years and don't regret it one bit!

It has a minor ding in the tank from the previous owner dropping something on it, I found a set of matching side fairings on CL for it so i'm going to try to pick those up tomorrow. The licence plate fell off on the previous owner so I didn't test out the speed too much on the ride home it was also slightly wet and misty, DMV should be able to give me a replacement plate when I register it.

On the plus side, looks like it has stainless steel brake lines, a scotts steering damper, puig windscreen, and a D&D pipe that sounds pretty nice.

Pretty good deal for 2800$ I think.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
What bike is that? F4i?
:edit: oh right, CBR900

Never actually seen that model of 900, only the earlier ones, nice bike!

theperminator fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 5, 2013

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123

theperminator posted:

What bike is that? F4i?
:edit: oh right, CBR900

Never actually seen that model of 900, only the earlier ones, nice bike!

02-03 954rr, the last of the Tadao Baba bikes!

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

infraboy posted:

02-03 954rr, the last of the Tadao Baba bikes!

And still an awesome track bike 10 years on. I always get people asking what mine is. The light weight is awesome too. A little work and you can get a fair bit more power out of it.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Well having a warm up circuit would be nice, but I think going the power commander route is a better option.
In 2000 they added some emissions stuff; a cat, and o2 senors, and the warm up circuit without a loss of power.
I'm considering getting a full system exhaust that exits on the left side to keep it completely out of the way of that rear wheel. If I do that I'll have an o2 bung welded in to put a lambda sensor in. That way I can take FULL advantage of the power commander and not have any lean/rich spots where I don't want them.

#1 on my list right now is saddlebags and a luggage rack. I'm not going to want to wear a backpack all the way from VA to TX.
I think de-linking the brakes is pretty silly too, it'll just get some getting used to before I take her over the mountain.

Full exhausts are horribly rare for the VFR - and I'm not sure the aftermarket ones that do exist show any improvements over stock. People do get really excited for the pre-cat headers but I don't think there is much improvements in them. I owned both a 98 and an '01 - bikes seemed to work the same to me. I believe the process for installing the power commander is to block off the signal from the o2 sensor so there would be no reason to weld one in.

The fueling on the VFR is just fine except for the cracking open the throttle surge. Lots of people don't even mind it. For some reason I think my '01 was a bit better behaved even stock with regard to the surge. A slip on of some sort is definitely worth the money - I just had one of those cheap Delkevic ebay specials and I thought it sounded great without being too loud.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Well, unfortunately I hadn't read the reccomendation thread before I got into riding again and decided to pick up a project bike as my first ride. Due to time, being stationed in Korea (Old parts are expensive to come by out here) and just lack of effort I've decided to shelve the `89 GSX-R750 for now :(

And since I just sold my car, I decided 'Why not buy an iffy brand. I'm in Korea so maybe the two year warranty will be easier to actually cash in on!' Meet the 2013 S&T (Hyosung) Comet 650P.

I've only ridden it about a kilometer from the shop back to the house thus far since I have to get insurance/the plates tomorrow (thanks timezones) but I didn't notice any problems yet. And I got a sweet MOTER CYCLE COVER in the deal! Pablo the cat is unimpressed...

So I haven't seen much on the Hyosungs here, and kind of figured I'm going to be living here a while, if this thing lasts 3~6 years I'll be happy.

theperminator
Sep 16, 2009

by Smythe
Fun Shoe
Hyosung are actually not bad, A lot of learners over here buy them as first bikes.
I haven't heard any complaints about them, and I'm sure I read somewhere that the engine was designed by Suzuki engineers and is very similar to the one in the SV650 so it should be solid enough.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

theperminator posted:

Hyosung are actually not bad, A lot of learners over here buy them as first bikes.
I haven't heard any complaints about them, and I'm sure I read somewhere that the engine was designed by Suzuki engineers and is very similar to the one in the SV650 so it should be solid enough.

They made Suzukis and went rogue when suzuki kicked them out of the cool kids club. Now they make not-suzukis at unknown quality, but probably the best ones in the i-have-no-idea-who-they-are-but-drat-are-they-cheap bargain bin.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
In the States the main problem with Hyosung is that their bikes aren't cheap enough compared to a Ninja 250 to justify the no-name and the reduced performance. I imagine in Korea the price advantage is much greater. The other thing is that, while Korean cars have exploded in quality and tech in the last few years, the bikes haven't really caught up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

In the States the main problem with Hyosung is that their bikes aren't cheap enough compared to a Ninja 250 to justify the no-name and the reduced performance. I imagine in Korea the price advantage is much greater. The other thing is that, while Korean cars have exploded in quality and tech in the last few years, the bikes haven't really caught up.

I see a huge amount of hyosungs over here because they're competitively priced and slot into our retarded license scheme pretty well. I would say quality-wise they are at about the stage kia/hyundai was one generation ago; the next wave of bikes hyosung produce will almost certainly match the japanese on perceived quality.

As for performance, the GT250 has more power than all but the most recent ninja 250, has efi, has USD forks and twin discs. The 650 I rode blew away my sv on both handling and power, and is available with a full fairing (I know sv's like this exist but they're almost impossible to get here).

I wouldn't own one, but they do seem to be good bikes.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Cool, I was kind of iffy on it due to remembering some posts on quality issues about a year ago, but here in Korea for a 650 the difference was about 4-6 thousand compared to a Honda or Suzuki. I tried playing the Craigslist here but it's mostly scooters, 150 and 250s with the occasional GI with a literbike that had been dropped/presumably squidded around.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
I bought this about a month ago but due to bad weather and minor troubles I just got it home today. lovely cell pic:

I'm really enjoying the "That is cooler than hell but what in the world is it" sentiments I keep getting.

Pokey Araya
Jan 1, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

I bought this about a month ago but due to bad weather and minor troubles I just got it home today. lovely cell pic:

I'm really enjoying the "That is cooler than hell but what in the world is it" sentiments I keep getting.

All motorcycles should have single-sided swingarms.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

Snowdens Secret posted:

Yuuuuussssssss!!!! This is awesome and you are awesome.

Pokey Araya posted:

All motorcycles should have single-sided swingarms.

Yuuuuussssssss!!!! Per above.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Snowdens Secret posted:

That is a gorgeous bike, it's like the '80s Camaro Berlinetta of motorcycles. I almost bought one but it sold before I got there. Did yours come with the cases? I do get a similar "that's cool what is it" thing with the Ulysses, but with a "that's ugly did you do it yourself" tone.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

It's interesting how tiny the standard old aprilia frame looks. These are very, very cool.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

clutchpuck posted:

That is a gorgeous bike, it's like the '80s Camaro Berlinetta of motorcycles. I almost bought one but it sold before I got there. Did yours come with the cases? I do get a similar "that's cool what is it" thing with the Ulysses, but with a "that's ugly did you do it yourself" tone.

I got the cases, I took them off for now so it takes up a little less parking space (I keep it and my hatchback in the same spot)

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

It's interesting how tiny the standard old aprilia frame looks. These are very, very cool.

It was deliberately designed to look like the RS125/250 chassis (the first Mille prototype used one of the GP bike chassis as a test bed), it's actually meaty as hell behind that.

The Futura is such a pretty bike though, and I so seriously hope that the rumours of them reviving it with the 1200 engine are true, especially if they keep the single-sider on it.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Just picked this baby up earlier this week.

96 CBR600F3 with 6500 miles on it.
It's pristine, not one speck of dust.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

That's the most 90's loving thing I've ever seen.

Awesome.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
The '90s were the peak of Bold New Graphics, it's been downhill from there.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Snowdens Secret posted:

The '90s were the peak of Bold New Graphics, it's been downhill from there.

I've been flipping through the Internet K-Hole all day, and the 90s were a period of bold exploration of the limits of taste.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Futura is an amazing bike. I wish they didn't discontinue it. It's beautiful and has a very comfy seat and position, yet is sporty and with a unique angry sewing machine exhaust tone. I almost bought one a few years back but parts availability and stories about instrument clusters (which by the way are awesome) going out with no replacements available anywhere and thus no means of passing state inspection scared me away.

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe

My bike after today's ride

O'riginal fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Apr 21, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, your custom title is accurate.

e: you and your edits. I'm bad at telling cruisers apart. What is it?

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

Well, your custom title is accurate.

e: you and your edits. I'm bad at telling cruisers apart. What is it?

It's a Yamaha V-Star 950 (touring model).

Sorry 'bout the edits, dinosaur learning how to use a tablet.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

FileNotFound posted:

The Futura is an amazing bike. I wish they didn't discontinue it. It's beautiful and has a very comfy seat and position, yet is sporty and with a unique angry sewing machine exhaust tone. I almost bought one a few years back but parts availability and stories about instrument clusters (which by the way are awesome) going out with no replacements available anywhere and thus no means of passing state inspection scared me away.

The instrument clusters are fairly electrically simple and not too bad to repair if they have (rare) issues. I was a Navy nuke electronics technician so delicate soldering is a non-issue, and if one of the chips somehow goes, there's a guy in England that repairs them.

The motor is still used in the Can-Am Spyder (and other places) so engine parts are no big deal. The biggest parts hassles are the Futura-specific rear taillight assembly and rear axle king bearing, and of course the body parts if you crash, but all are available on ebay over time.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Just picked this baby up earlier this week.

96 CBR600F3 with 6500 miles on it.
It's pristine, not one speck of dust.

Aw sweet, 90's color bike-off. I love how Honda apparently just didn't give a poo poo during the 90's with these bikes.

Sometimes I really regret selling it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You remember the late 80s and early 90s?

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Fresh Prince was awesome.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Quite A Tool posted:

Aw sweet, 90's color bike-off. I love how Honda apparently just didn't give a poo poo during the 90's with these bikes.

Sometimes I really regret selling it.

That's beautiful. I'm sorry you sold it too.

The 90's Hondas had the best paint schemes.

Although, Suzuki wasn't far behind.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I was always partial to this one. Reminds me of a sailboard my uncle bought in about 1989.

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Red blue and white is the best colour scheme.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frankston posted:

I just bought this...

So I'm inclined to disagree :D

The power and torque are immense; it's also a pretty huge bike physically but the handling is amazing thanks to some work someone's done on the suspension (not sure of the details, it definitely isn't factory with 90,000km's on the clock). In numerical terms it's both the most powerful and heaviest bike I've ridden but it's a complete pussycat if you take it easy, and very predictable and smooth in general. Feels like an armchair strapped to a locomotive.

Does anyone know what the swingarm is off? It isn't the usual retro braced one and the guy said the prior owner swapped it out but couldn't tell me what sort of bike it fell off of?

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Love those things Slavvy. There's been one on my local CL that I've been drooling over for the past few weeks. Did you end up trading your SV for it?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Quite A Tool posted:

Love those things Slavvy. There's been one on my local CL that I've been drooling over for the past few weeks. Did you end up trading your SV for it?

Yeah I forgot to mention that part, was a straight swap as the guy wanted an SV for his wife to learn on. He was a really nice guy and gave me a spare throttle cable, a bigger screen and a ventura rack for it as well.

It's the first liquid cooled bike I've seen without a temperature gauge, just has an overheat light. Has a fuel gauge though!

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

I just bought this...

So I'm inclined to disagree :D

The power and torque are immense; it's also a pretty huge bike physically but the handling is amazing thanks to some work someone's done on the suspension (not sure of the details, it definitely isn't factory with 90,000km's on the clock). In numerical terms it's both the most powerful and heaviest bike I've ridden but it's a complete pussycat if you take it easy, and very predictable and smooth in general. Feels like an armchair strapped to a locomotive.

Does anyone know what the swingarm is off? It isn't the usual retro braced one and the guy said the prior owner swapped it out but couldn't tell me what sort of bike it fell off of?

looks like a z1000 or some other more modern Kawasaki swingarm, they have the same eccentric adjuster

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

echomadman posted:

looks like a z1000 or some other more modern Kawasaki swingarm, they have the same eccentric adjuster

Has a Z1K got dual rear shocks?

Reckon this will affect the way it rides at all, beyond just being slightly lighter?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orthod0ks
Mar 2, 2004
anger is a gift

Frankston posted:

:911: