Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
In 15 years, "just" 99.9%, at triple current prices, with 3x overbuilding.
Prices will (surely) ease, considering that both renewables are headed down (0.17c/KWh is still bad, but it's a very marked improvement over the current 0.27c/KWh of solar thermal (usual Andasol data)), but if you factor in 3x overbuilding, that's 0.51c/KWh.
Plus smart grid expenses, and of course said grid will need 3x overbuilding.
(3x overbuilding for 90% of the US' energy need 15 years from now, just from wind.. are we sure there's enough windy places, and that it won't create adverse effects? (3000GW in wind turbines means 300'000 10MW turbines.)
It won't rob a substantial amount of land, like solar does, just the few mq for foundations and such if they are in crop fields, and we don't really care about land if they're in non-cultivable places)
Problem is that the sites with good wind are limited, it's pretty strange this wasn't explicitly accounted for.

Also, tell me the article isn't talking about thermal efficiency of turbines with "You burn three units of coal to get one unit of electricity."?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Aureon posted:

Also, tell me the article isn't talking about thermal efficiency of turbines with "You burn three units of coal to get one unit of electricity."?

It is.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

GulMadred posted:

• The report assumes a 20-year lifespan (and/or amortization period) for new construction.

That's actually not uncommon as an amortization period for utility infrastructure for reasons relating to the time cost of money.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Boner Slam posted:

I wrote my criticism of that argument. Either reply to that or don't.

He did reply to your criticism of that argument. You claimed that car insurance doesn't work this way, but it most definitely does. The rest of your argument is based on a misunderstanding of how risk assessment is performed.

quote:

It doesn't matter and that was not the argument. There is something wrong with this methodology when doing this comparision.

That was exactly the argument:

CombatInformatiker posted:

I've read 1.5 chapters of that book (Google didn't let me read any further), and it seems to be a little simplistic (multiplying the chance of an accident by it's severity and conclude that there's no increased danger? Come on, you can't be serious!) and clearly biased towards nuclear energy, so it's not something I'm looking for.

CombatInformatiker was complaining about the way in which the book was performing risk management. The book performed risk management in the exact same way as everyone else, and there's nothing wrong with assessing risk in this way. You've suggested that there is a problem with this, but you didn't actually provide any real reasoning for it; your argument can be boiled down to "if someone did a risk management calculation in a dumb way, then their results would be inaccurate!" Small leakages and large leakages are treated as different types of risk with different severities. The barrels don't randomly explode after N years, so the probability of occurrence of a "large leakage" is close to zero

In other words, your criticism of risk management is based on a misunderstanding of risk management.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
What people need to understand is that a HV net needs to be at 50hz (or whatevs) almost to a point or you can forget about having anything to relieable energy.
99% may sound nice, but it really depends on when and how the power is available. It means that on the one hand you'll have huge overcapacities. On the other hand you need to have a way to get rid of energy instantaneously.

Getting rid of energy is currently easy for Germany, since our EU partners usually have less regenerative energy and are far more able to regulate their net. However, prices often do go negative - IE. we pay Holland to take our energy (traditionally around Christmas this is the case).

About the needed capacities:
What people need to understand is that the costs of building and connecting offshore windparks is ridiculous. Building enough to replace all the power plants in the USA may (I don't know) be so much it may not even be close to an option. Germany is not a poor country, but we are right on the limit (maybe even over) off what we can afford to put into offshore or renewables in general and it is really not enough to replace base load or middle load power plants.

Additionally you need a net. You need a high power HV net strewn across your gigantic country to be able to get all the energy from where is wind to where it isn't. This costs a lot. Really, it's very expensive.
Do you have such a net across the USA? (I really don't know). Because Germany is small and we are just now building those capacities from the North to the South.
Worst case scenario you need enough capacities to carry almost all the energy inwards. Trenching those cables across the USA must be expensive as gently caress.
You have long distances in the USA. You need to transfrom AC to DC and back. A lot. Very often. Not cheap.
Now, I often hear that the energy distribution net in the USA is... spotty at times. The tolerances are already low (which is why black and brownouts do happen more often in the USA)[I am not 100% informed on this]. If it is also regionalized I'd hazard the guess that this poo poo ain't going to happen.

Building a couple of AC connected onshore windparks with enough subsidies to make it profitable may be one thing. Building offshore on this scale is another thing entirely.

Look, I am all for connecting and diversifiying regeneratives (it's my job). But there are challenges. Technology is new. There are only a handful of companies worldwide that can do this kind of thing and build this kind of poo poo. Maybe.. two. For some actions there exists less than three ships in the world that can plop down the necessary things (right now you actually need the largest crane vessel in the world for some things, of which there is only one).

So I think that paper might be a tad optimistic.

Boner Slam fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 18, 2013

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

For wind or solar to matter in the United States, there would need to be a massive east-west HVDC network set up, as most of the wind assets are in the west, and sensible solar assets are in the southwest. There currently is no such network. The current network will shut down entire regions of the country due to sudden spikes or dips in power supply. We have a really poo poo network, and most Americans don't spend much time thinking about this as a problem until you have things like the great New York blackout a decade ago. And then we quickly forget as a nation again, because energy policy is apparently boring/hard.

Boner Slam
May 9, 2005
Regeneratives challenge even the best and most centralized nets in the world. On top of this the USA is comically large for this kind of undertaking.
There is really no good solution to this until we are able to store energy.

edit: whoever invents a good energy storage will win all the nobel prices. It would be one of the most significant inventions ever. But then, who will?

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012
How promising is the Sabatier Reaction for generating carbon-neutral methane? I found an article with an overview of the process and of methods for hydrogen generation: http://www.pennenergy.com/articles/pennenergy/2010/03/the-sabatier-reaction.html. (What I don't understand is: why do they have to store the oxygen? Isn't there enough in the air?)

I suppose a big advantage would be that you could reuse existing natural gas turbine power plants, and you can also use the methane to heat homes.

Pander posted:

For wind or solar to matter in the United States, there would need to be a massive east-west HVDC network set up
Why would it have to be DC? I was under the impression that the energy loss is less for AC?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Why would it have to be DC? I was under the impression that the energy loss is less for AC?

HVDC is better for long-range transmission than HVAC. It's been a while since one of the BZE engineers explained it to me, but IIRC it was due to higher-order effects in the line when using HVAC making DC both cheaper and lower-loss than AC.

From Wiki:

quote:

The most common reason for choosing HVDC over AC transmission is that HVDC is more economic than AC for transmitting large amounts of power point-to-point over long distances. A long distance, high power HVDC transmission scheme generally has lower capital costs and lower losses than an AC transmission link.
Even though HVDC conversion equipment at the terminal stations is costly, overall savings in capital cost may arise because of significantly reduced transmission line costs over long distance routes. HVDC needs fewer conductors than an AC line, as there is no need to support three phases. Also, thinner conductors can be used since HVDC does not suffer from the skin effect. These factors can lead to large reductions in transmission line cost for a long distance HVDC scheme.
Depending on voltage level and construction details, HVDC transmission losses are quoted as about 3.5% per 1,000 km, which is less than typical losses in an AC transmission system.[16]
HVDC transmission may also be selected because of other technical benefits that it provides for the power system. HVDC schemes can transfer power between separate AC networks. HVDC powerflow between separate AC systems can be automatically controlled to provide support for either network during transient conditions, but without the risk that a major power system collapse in one network will lead to a collapse in the second.
The combined economic and technical benefits of HVDC transmission can make it a suitable choice for connecting energy sources that are located remote from the main load centres.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Pander posted:

For wind or solar to matter in the United States, there would need to be a massive east-west HVDC network set up, as most of the wind assets are in the west, and sensible solar assets are in the southwest. There currently is no such network. The current network will shut down entire regions of the country due to sudden spikes or dips in power supply. We have a really poo poo network, and most Americans don't spend much time thinking about this as a problem until you have things like the great New York blackout a decade ago. And then we quickly forget as a nation again, because energy policy is apparently boring/hard.

That's not true at all; you could power most of the southwest US on solar and wind alone using the grid that we already have. That would "matter" a lot

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

Quarkjets: I agree! I also think working out some kind of massive solar field in the Sahara that could feed Europe via HVDC would be a wonderful development.

However, I live in Central IL. We have a lot of wind farms here despite poor wind resources due to close access to nuke plant grids (I've toured the wind farm next to LaSalle station when I toured the station a few years back). Solar has no chance in, well, most anywhere. The land is far too valuable as cropland. We would need to be an importer of solar, and that would require fewer transmission losses.

So it's cool, but the whole "99.9%" really needs the modifier "in Australia", because "In America" would be an ignorant fantasy of the blind. I was trying to highlight just one simple large-scale problem that requires an expensive engineering solution that no solar technomarvel can overcome until such time as we develop cost-effective large energey storage tech.

We'll probably have to wait for GooglePower before we get a true smartgrid in the US.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Wow, great to see this charging along - Sorry I haven't been around, lucky it doesn't matter much cos plenty of people know a lot more than me, so thanks everyone for the great posts.

I'm after some videos, mostly site tours of various facilities, to try and make the whole thing a bit more accessible. Basically showing us how we get energy out of these resources - what's actually involved, etc.

Here's the best one I've found of a solar thermal plant:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSkKGuR1HKE

A coal mine (could use a better soundtrack):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzt-45ePI7w

Oil drilling / Roughnecking (Mike Rowe's Dirty Jobs):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QC_rRRlq1lc

Cheap, clean, natural gas: Earth's one good feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNdhFi3MHZQ

One I found while looking for wind farm stuff: "Turbine Cowboys" (22 min show)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e76W7mg5V_M

Speaking of wind, this technically counts I guess - World speed sailing record:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnjyusAgk8I

Dancefloor generator: A bit of a gimmick, but interesting nonetheless:

http://vimeo.com/58465094

Anyway that's just a start, so if anyone's got some good nuclear ones (preferably including the mining), or wave/tidal, solar PV, Geothermal, etc, that'd be much appreciated.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Natural gas is cheap and cleaner than other fossil fuels but it's still produces green house gases and other pollutants.

Also, it's mostly methane which is a greenhouse gas in and of itself and at offshore rigs they just vent it into the atmosphere directly to get at the oil underneath. (At land based rigs they burn it off as to not create a fire hazard and all)

I just wanted to get this off my chest because the idea of clean NG is a myth.Granted, it's way better than burning coal or oil.

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012
But burning methane is clean if it is produced carbon-neutrally, right?

SolarFuel, a German company, is building a CO2->CH4 (including H2 generation) demonstration plant with 6MW input and 54% estimated efficiency. They're also planning a commercial 20MW reactor with 60% efficiency (75% with combined heat usage), due in 2015.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

But burning methane is clean if it is produced carbon-neutrally, right?

SolarFuel, a German company, is building a CO2->CH4 (including H2 generation) demonstration plant with 6MW input and 54% estimated efficiency. They're also planning a commercial 20MW reactor with 60% efficiency (75% with combined heat usage), due in 2015.

That's a solar power plant where all of the energy is used to convert CO2 into CH4, rather than a natural gas plant.

Pander posted:

Quarkjets: I agree! I also think working out some kind of massive solar field in the Sahara that could feed Europe via HVDC would be a wonderful development.

However, I live in Central IL. We have a lot of wind farms here despite poor wind resources due to close access to nuke plant grids (I've toured the wind farm next to LaSalle station when I toured the station a few years back). Solar has no chance in, well, most anywhere. The land is far too valuable as cropland. We would need to be an importer of solar, and that would require fewer transmission losses.

So it's cool, but the whole "99.9%" really needs the modifier "in Australia", because "In America" would be an ignorant fantasy of the blind. I was trying to highlight just one simple large-scale problem that requires an expensive engineering solution that no solar technomarvel can overcome until such time as we develop cost-effective large energey storage tech.

We'll probably have to wait for GooglePower before we get a true smartgrid in the US.

I'm of the opinion that regions with poor access to renewables, such as many states in the central US, should use nuclear power. Eventually transporting renewable electricity via HVDC sounds like a great plan further down the road

But yeah, Australia is in a far better position than most countries when it comes to access to renewable energy.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

QuarkJets posted:

I'm of the opinion that regions with poor access to renewables, such as many states in the central US, should use nuclear power. Eventually transporting renewable electricity via HVDC sounds like a great plan further down the road

But yeah, Australia is in a far better position than most countries when it comes to access to renewable energy.

Btw, the upper Midwest has pretty tremendous wind power capacity (as do the Great Lakes). You wouldn't be worried feeding power into Chicago from California, and if you harassed power from Lake Eire, it wouldn't have to go very far to make it to the eastern seaboard. The South might be a bit more of a reach, and that is probably the region where nuclear power would be needed the most. (Luckily, it is the area of the country where Nuclear power is also the most popular.)

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 21, 2013

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

QuarkJets posted:

That's a solar power plant where all of the energy is used to convert CO2 into CH4, rather than a natural gas plant.
Uh, yeah, that's exactly what I wrote :confused:

[...] is building a CO2->CH4 (including H2 generation) demonstration plant [...]
And after the CH4 has been produced, you'll want to burn it a some point, so ideally methane should burn in a clean way.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Uh, yeah, that's exactly what I wrote :confused:

You asked a question, and my answer was "yes" plus some words. Basically if a gas plant is only burning fuel produced by solar power plants, then really it's just a facility that consumes solar-produced energy.

It's like how an electric car isn't a green energy vehicle if all of its power originally came from a coal power plant.

In other words, you're right, the source of the energy is important; gas produced by solar power is green fuel.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Hobo Erotica posted:

Cheap, clean, natural gas: Earth's one good feature:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNdhFi3MHZQ

Not sure if you realised it, but this video is from "The Onion", so not really a endorsement of Natural gas :downs:

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Wibbleman posted:

Not sure if you realised it, but this video is from "The Onion", so not really a endorsement of Natural gas :downs:

Hobo's frothingly pro-renewable so I think he realised that, I don't think he would have unironically posted a video he thought was pro-gas.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Natural gas is cheap and cleaner than other fossil fuels but it's still produces green house gases and other pollutants.

Also, it's mostly methane which is a greenhouse gas in and of itself and at offshore rigs they just vent it into the atmosphere directly to get at the oil underneath. (At land based rigs they burn it off as to not create a fire hazard and all)

I just wanted to get this off my chest because the idea of clean NG is a myth.Granted, it's way better than burning coal or oil.

Yes, as Wibbleman astutely pointed out above, the video was from satirical site 'the onion', and was in there in the hope of bringing a chuckle to whoever clicked it. Can't be all serious all the time.

I would have thought it was pretty obvious, although as satire it does a great job of parroting the lines of the pro-gas lobby.

I'm more intersted in Quantum Mechanics's stance on gas - I know BZE are vehemently anti-gas, do you see any place for it as a transition fuel, to help back up our generators until we get widespread reliable renewable deployment? Is that an acceptable compromise with the political and technological reality of our energy needs? Or should we reject it outright?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

lol abbottsgonnawin

Hobo Erotica posted:

I'm more intersted in Quantum Mechanics's stance on gas - I know BZE are vehemently anti-gas, do you see any place for it as a transition fuel, to help back up our generators until we get widespread reliable renewable deployment? Is that an acceptable compromise with the political and technological reality of our energy needs? Or should we reject it outright?

Coal seam gas/fracking is pretty unrelentingly awful, and with the amounts of leakage the gas wells produce I'm not convinced it's actually any better re: climate change than coal power is. Given how much capital is going to need to be invested into making gas a "transition fuel" I don't personally think it's worth it, and neither do BZE or the Australian Greens.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hobo Erotica posted:

Yes, as Wibbleman astutely pointed out above, the video was from satirical site 'the onion', and was in there in the hope of bringing a chuckle to whoever clicked it. Can't be all serious all the time.

I would have thought it was pretty obvious, although as satire it does a great job of parroting the lines of the pro-gas lobby.

Welp I didn't watch the video so :shobon:

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012
ETH Zürich to develop new combined PV/solar thermal system

Highlights:
  • 2000x sun light concentration
  • 30% of sun light converted to electricity
  • thermal energy used to heat water, for 80% efficiency in total
  • estimated cost per kWh of electricity: 0.1$
  • concrete and metal foil instead of steel and glass to lower cost
  • 100 PV chips, each producing up to 250W, for 25kW electricity generation (presumably for the structure in the picture presumably not)

For some reason, the German and the English articles provide different information. :confused:

CombatInformatiker fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 23, 2013

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Good luck to them?

I read that as "did develop" and thought "neat". But as it stands, it's yet another future thing that may or may not happen, and kind of emblematic of the whole "solar techno-marvel" thing I referenced in my last post.

Out of curiosity, what would be the major factors limiting deployment of such a device, were it to be successfully prototyped, CombatInformatiker?

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
80% efficiency in heat->electricity?
What?
Or it's "80% of the heat reflected is absorbed by water"?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

My guess was that between electrical generation and water heating, 80% of absorbed energy was translated into usable heat/power.

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

Pander posted:

Out of curiosity, what would be the major factors limiting deployment of such a device, were it to be successfully prototyped, CombatInformatiker?
It's hard to say, the article is a little poor and rather confusing (in both languages). Here's how I understood it:
  • The thing in the picture is a prototype, which, presumably, already has the 80% efficiency they promise.
  • This prototype is most likely not the 25kW version. According to the article, each chip delivers 200-250W and has an area of 1 cm². They plan to put 100 of them in one structure with 2000x sunlight concentration. (0.01m)² * 100 * 2000 = 20m², which is a ~5m diameter disk.
  • They explicitly say that it has a combined efficiency of 80%. The "50% of waste heat usable" is probably just expressed in an incorrect way by the university's PR department.
For those who speak German, there's a short interview available: http://video.golem.de/wissenschaft/10620/hochkonzentrations-photovoltaisches-system.html.

Main factors limiting deployment (my own assessment; disclaimer: just a layman): you need water for cooling. According to the engineer in the video, even the prototype would melt the aluminum if the cooling system were to fail. Now imagine 25kW*(50/30) = ~42kw directed at a 10cm by 10cm spot. You'll also have to radiate this heat if you don't use it.

Pros:
  • You need a lot less PV chip area (by a factor of 2000). This probably leads to lower costs in terms of energy for building such a plant.
  • Combined electricity generation and water heating; put a dish on your roof and you'll have both.
To get a sense of scale: let's assume the 5m diameter figure for 25kW and add 2m between two dishes (for servicing, infrastructure, etc.), so you need 7m*7m = ~50m² per 25kW. This gives you 200*25kW = 5MW in electricity and 8.3MW in hot (90°C) water for a 100m by 100m plant. If you can get them closer together (5m*5m), double those numbers.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Yeah, concentrated solar is almost always better for efficiency but carries the huge issue that your module needs to track the sun.

CombatInformatiker
Apr 11, 2012

Dusseldorf posted:

Yeah, concentrated solar is almost always better for efficiency but carries the huge issue that your module needs to track the sun.
Good point; so it's probably not something you'd put on your roof. I found the project page: http://www.pre.ethz.ch/research/projects/?id=hcpvt. There's a link to a paper on the bottom, but it's from 2011.

By the way, I found a cute little program which allows you to play with a nuclear reactor: link.

PotatoMasher
Jul 19, 2003

Regardless of personal feelings on nuclear technology it must be pursued for simple waste management reasons. Reprocessing and transmutation of waste reduces the radioactivity by several orders of magnitude. The trade-off being the costs of construction/decommissioning of new facilities and reactors and generation of limited amounts of activation products.

The pandora's box has already been opened and it will take decades, perhaps centuries, just to clean up the mess and responsibly store long-lived fission products (and U236 when a total phase out of fission reactors is desired). The sooner we get to work on it the sooner the medium-lived waste from the efforts decays to stable isotopes and we don't have to worry about it's radioactivity anymore.

The question we should be asking is not whether to continue nuclear or not, but how. This must take into account current and future needs and technology advancement of fusion for transmutation. Anyone with the scientific and environmental knowledge of the problems of nuclear waste and still holds uncompromising anti-nuclear beliefs is burying their head in the sand.

Germany, Italy, and other nations phase-out of nuclear power is incredibly short-sighted and irresponsible, ditto Yucca Mountain as currently envisioned. Just cramming the waste down a deep dark hole and forgetting about it is not the proper way to handle the waste considering the dramatic reduction of long-term radioactivity that can be had by tried and true methods of reprocessing.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

The Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) runs the energy market on the East coast of Australia, and they have put out a report saying that an energy supply from 100% renewable energy is possible.

http://www.climatechange.gov.au/en/government/initiatives/aemo-100-per-cent-renewables.aspx

There is a bit of a summary here http://larvatusprodeo.net/archives/2013/05/are-100-renewables-possible/

There is another summary here http://www.climatechange.gov.au/en/government/initiatives/aemo-100-per-cent-renewables.aspx

There is another summary here, http://bravenewclimate.com/2013/05/02/100pc-renew-study-needs-makeover/#more-6110 , where the Author includes more details on including nuclear power in the mix.

Yes its expensive. I understand that. Just keep in mind that its cheaper to build new solar than it is to build new coal plants, and that all our coal plants will need to be replaced by 2045 anyway.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The paper reinforces the main issue with renewables, that 'nameplate' (theoretical maximum) capacity has to be much higher than actual delivered capacity with renewables, then it does with fuel-based energy such as uranium or fossils. Even then, they end up using biogas to make up for shortfalls that occur at the wrong times. I'm not convinced that giving up farmland for biofuels is a good idea, in a future where arable land falls:

A combination of renewable + nuclear should reduce the cost dramatically.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

rudatron posted:

The paper reinforces the main issue with renewables, that 'nameplate' (theoretical maximum) capacity has to be much higher than actual delivered capacity with renewables, then it does with fuel-based energy such as uranium or fossils. Even then, they end up using biogas to make up for shortfalls that occur at the wrong times. I'm not convinced that giving up farmland for biofuels is a good idea, in a future where arable land falls:

A combination of renewable + nuclear should reduce the cost dramatically.

Over-building renewable generating capacity isn't necessarily a waste of money. The excess capacity could always be used to make hydrogen from water when favorable conditions result in more generation than is needed.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The cost of building, operating and maintaining the fuel cells and electrolysis on such a huge industrial scale would be enormous, and that's ignoring the incredible cost in just storing large amounts of hydrogen. And that's not even why the nameplate capacity has to be so much higher than actual, delivered capacity! The whole point of intermittent sources is that they're not always there, so you need to have excess capacity to take advantage of when the energy is there. It's not that the power plants are delivering power, and that power is somehow not being used, it's that you have to build more capacity then you theoretically should need to, because you're using the environment as your power source.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Deteriorata posted:

Over-building renewable generating capacity isn't necessarily a waste of money. The excess capacity could always be used to make hydrogen from water when favorable conditions result in more generation than is needed.

Excess energy can also be put into things like Aluminum production, especially if the plants work off peak hours.

karthun
Nov 16, 2006

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Dusseldorf posted:

Excess energy can also be put into things like Aluminum production, especially if the plants work off peak hours.

Off peak is going to be the hardest time for a heavy solar implementation. Thats when all of your energy storage systems will have to come online.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Dusseldorf posted:

You can't really start and stop a large industrial operation like a smelter to take advantage of surplus electrical capacity.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Rent-A-Cop posted:

You can't really start and stop a large industrial operation like a smelter to take advantage of surplus electrical capacity.

You do it in the evening or overnight. But you can't stop and start production on-a-dime. It's also tricky to change power plant output quickly as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

Three-Phase posted:

You do it in the evening or overnight. But you can't stop and start production on-a-dime. It's also tricky to change power plant output quickly as well.

I probably wouldn't plan on excess solar energy during the evening and overnight time frame.