Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009
In the forums game I'm DMing, a series of spectacular failures just led to this move:

When you're caught in a magically created goblinweed storm, roll +CON or +DEX. On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7-9 choose 2. On a 6 or below choose 1:
-You are not hit by debris or rats. Don't take 1d6 damage.
-You have an inspiring vision of Gods or heroes past. Take forward +1 towards your next action and describe the vision.
-The goblinweed doesn't affect your mental faculties. Don't become Confused (-1 WIS) this scene.

I'm not sure if I worded this the best way that I could, given the circumstances. Basically, a magical storm created by the party mage failed spectacularly at the same time a giant brick of hallucinogenic goblin drugs that reacts to magic was lit and thrown into the eye of the storm. I wanted higher rolls to mean better results, but for there to still be an element of slight danger thrown in. There really isn't any going back and changing the move now, but I wanted to know what I could do to improve something like this in the future.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

genericangst posted:

In the forums game I'm DMing, a series of spectacular failures just led to this move:

When you're caught in a magically created goblinweed storm, roll +CON or +DEX. On a 10+, choose 3. On a 7-9 choose 2. On a 6 or below choose 1:
-You are not hit by debris or rats. Don't take 1d6 damage.
-You have an inspiring vision of Gods or heroes past. Take forward +1 towards your next action and describe the vision.
-The goblinweed doesn't affect your mental faculties. Don't become Confused (-1 WIS) this scene.

I'm not sure if I worded this the best way that I could, given the circumstances. Basically, a magical storm created by the party mage failed spectacularly at the same time a giant brick of hallucinogenic goblin drugs that reacts to magic was lit and thrown into the eye of the storm. I wanted higher rolls to mean better results, but for there to still be an element of slight danger thrown in. There really isn't any going back and changing the move now, but I wanted to know what I could do to improve something like this in the future.

Thanks!

The most obvious thing to me is that there's no choice on a 10+.

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009
drat. That's a good point. I easily have time to edit another choice in there, but I'm not sure what would work. Maybe something about the smoke not obscuring their vision, but that sounds boring. This is supposed to be a highly magical event that won't happen again. I need to think of something bizarre. I toyed with the idea of them getting a one use level 0 spell, but there isn't any that would really thematically fit except maybe telepathy, and that seems like it would be of limited use in this scene.

On 90th thought, I think this would be an appropriate fourth option:

-You can cast Guidance as per the level 0 Cleric rote this scene. If you don't worship a deity, one has taken notice of you. Who is it?

Disproportionate Orphan fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 21, 2013

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Holy poo poo Scrape told me last night that the Dungeon World Guide is going to be translated into Korean for gamers overseas. :psyduck: I thought all people at PAX wanting to shake my hand for helping write the Guide was bizarre, but this is getting surreal.

I need to get off my rear end and finish the two DW projects so I can ride this minor wave of fame.

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

genericangst posted:

drat. That's a good point. I easily have time to edit another choice in there, but I'm not sure what would work. Maybe something about the smoke not obscuring their vision, but that sounds boring. This is supposed to be a highly magical event that won't happen again. I need to think of something bizarre. I toyed with the idea of them getting a one use level 0 spell, but there isn't any that would really thematically fit except maybe telepathy, and that seems like it would be of limited use in this scene.

On 90th thought, I think this would be an appropriate fourth option:

-You can cast Guidance as per the level 0 Cleric rote this scene. If you don't worship a deity, one has taken notice of you. Who is it?

If you want it to be dramatic and impressive, my first thought is to take out at least some of the numbers. Something like:

* You are not battered by debris.
* Your mind is not clouded by the magical chaos.
* You have a vision of heroes past. Take +1 forward when you act on the insight it grants you.
* You have a vision of the future. What is it of?
* You attract the attention of a higher being. Who?

You can still decide to have it deal some damage with "battered by debris" or inflict Confused with "clouded by chaos" but you can also give it narrative weight, and the good options have much more narrative weight this way (at least it feels like that to me).

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009

Benly posted:

If you want it to be dramatic and impressive, my first thought is to take out at least some of the numbers. Something like:

* You are not battered by debris.
* Your mind is not clouded by the magical chaos.
* You have a vision of heroes past. Take +1 forward when you act on the insight it grants you.
* You have a vision of the future. What is it of?
* You attract the attention of a higher being. Who?

You can still decide to have it deal some damage with "battered by debris" or inflict Confused with "clouded by chaos" but you can also give it narrative weight, and the good options have much more narrative weight this way (at least it feels like that to me).

There was a lot bothering me about the move, and I think you hit the nails on all their heads. I hope you don't mind, but I'm stealing this almost completely and editing it into my post in game. You helped me out a lot! I'll try to keep this advice in the future if I need to create more moves. Thank you!

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

axelsoar posted:

Just wanted to give some feedback since at our DW games we tend to use only goon-made classes.

Medic: I played this one, loved playing my 'do no harm' medic. There are some really fun advanced moves and unliving anatomy gets a lot of mileage in a space setting. I MC'd into fighter to grab armored and I pull double duty as defender and healer.

Awesome!

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

PublicOpinion posted:

One Shot Report

Also from this I played a sharpshooter and would like to comment on something that came up. It's main ability, "Lock on," could probably use a bit of rewording. As it stands now there's little to keep someone from simply plugging away at opponents round after round, and with the additional 2d4 damage there aren't many enemies that would survive 1 shot let alone many. It might be better if aiming either took a noticable amount of time, exposed you to danger or perhaps did less damage. 2d4 additional damage was tearing through every monster that popped up.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Isn't there a finished version of the Sharpshooter that took that out in exchange for +1/-1 to Volley rolls?

Ningyou
Aug 14, 2005

we aaaaare
not your kind of pearls
you seem kind of pho~ny
everything's a liiiiie

we aaaare
not your kind of pearls
something in your make~up
don't see eye to e~y~e

madadric posted:

Oooh! I'd love to hear how the fae played!

One of these days ill get the opportunity to join one of your games, playing over Skype sounded awesome, unfortunately family commitments meant I wouldn't be able to give the game the attention it deserves.

I really enjoyed playing a Brownie! I was initially worried that it might be pretty rough playing one in what started out looking like a pretty combat-centric party, but the moves were flexible enough to be pretty useful and kinda encouraged you to get creative [and, well...masquerading as AN ENORMOUS TERRIFYING BOAR REALLY YOU GUYS and rambling for like a minute straight in an attempt to not-*technically*-tell-a-lie-but-y'know was really *fun*]

I kinda wish the wasp launcher inflicted some kind of stun condition or w/e 'cos in the session it just ended up feeling like a bog-standard projectile weapon ~but with bees~? Otherwise, though, pretty fun to play!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/z5ok4x <---recording from the one-shot, if anyone's curious.

Ningyou fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 22, 2013

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

We decided 'Unliving anatamy' applies to constructs for the space game. Also, second opinion has saved our asses more times than I can count.

Next goon class I am trying out is the partly finished elemental knight by berenzen.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So there was apparently a panel at Pax East where the Dungeon World guys made up monsters and classes and stuff LIVE ON STAGE, but I can't find a recording of it anywhere. Anyone have a link to a podcast/video?

Prowave Tierdash
Mar 12, 2010
How are people making their class sheets look so nice and classy like the actual DW material? Are those just photoshop skills at work, or are is there some kind of template you can use? I'm homebrewing a class for a player in my real life game, and I'd love to hand him something that looks professional and sleek instead of obviously printed off of googledocs.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Prowave Tierdash posted:

How are people making their class sheets look so nice and classy like the actual DW material? Are those just photoshop skills at work, or are is there some kind of template you can use? I'm homebrewing a class for a player in my real life game, and I'd love to hand him something that looks professional and sleek instead of obviously printed off of googledocs.

Inkscape is the program I use. Open up any .pdf page you want to edit using that program, and go to town. Fonts: MinionPro for the main text, Copperplate Gothic Light for the fancy text.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

axelsoar posted:

Initiate: love love love this one, excellent martial artist class. Have used this as a Fighter alternative as well.

I'm always happy to hear people are enjoying the Initiate! I think it's probably some of the best work I've done, it only needed very minor errata. (Admittedly, errata to its core combat move, but...)

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

Ningyou posted:

I really enjoyed playing a Brownie! I was initially worried that it might be pretty rough playing one in what started out looking like a pretty combat-centric party, but the moves were flexible enough to be pretty useful and kinda encouraged you to get creative [and, well...masquerading as AN ENORMOUS TERRIFYING BOAR REALLY YOU GUYS and rambling for like a minute straight in an attempt to not-*technically*-tell-a-lie-but-y'know was really *fun*]

I kinda wish the wasp launcher inflicted some kind of stun condition or w/e 'cos in the session it just ended up feeling like a bog-standard projectile weapon ~but with bees~? Otherwise, though, pretty fun to play!

http://www.sendspace.com/file/z5ok4x <---recording from the one-shot, if anyone's curious.

Thanks for the feedback! making a tag for the bees (Distracting) might be a great idea to codify the idea that you more confuse/distract enemies than straight up murderlize them.

also thanks for the recording! I love listening to these, and it'll be great to hear a bunch of non-standard classes in play!

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
I'm winding down for the day and noticed this link on Google+ about making melee exciting:

http://world-of-tiglath.blogspot.com/2013/04/adding-role-playing-to-melee.html

In many ways, this is a great example of adding flavor into places that otherwise would be pretty boring, and also a use case for "the game as a conversation". Adding personality to a combat situation in Dungeon World makes for memorable storytelling. Leaving hooks for questions to keep things moving after the combat's done is important too!

silby
Nov 5, 2012

Prowave Tierdash posted:

Dungeon World HQ provides the character sheet InDesign files for your convenience. I am pretty sure Sage identified the display font used in the book somewhere and that it's moderately priced, as fonts go, but I can't find that detail right now.

e: Duh, it's in the book. Minion Pro is the text font and the titles are set in Newcomen, I think mostly using the small caps instead of the fancier-looking lowercase with the weird ligatures that make all the headers in DFRPG unreadable. The class icons are from Archemy.

double-edit: Playing around with the MyFont OpenType features, the headings use the "titling" alternate set of Newcomen.

silby fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Apr 22, 2013

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Ningyou posted:

As a visual aid, these were the overworld maps I used when I was setting up the one-shot:

Since I didn't have a real plan, I just threw those together and asked the players what place looked interesting to have an adventure near. I should've guessed that the mountain with a skull on it would be the obvious answer.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
Didn't see it in the OP, but someone put the core rules in HTML format. Easier to hook people than a PDF, easy reference cue for a smartphone.
http://book.dwgazetteer.com/

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

sentrygun posted:

Isn't there a finished version of the Sharpshooter that took that out in exchange for +1/-1 to Volley rolls?

Are you thinking of The Marksman? It's a different class, although we did exchange some ideas as we were making them.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Ulta posted:

Didn't see it in the OP, but someone put the core rules in HTML format. Easier to hook people than a PDF, easy reference cue for a smartphone.
http://book.dwgazetteer.com/

It's right under the Core Rules header, actually. It also has some minor differences from the final version and is missing some things, but I can't remember what off the top of my head.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
This week's Inverse World Preview centers on two things: The Captain, and the Art and Aesthetic Of Inverse World. Mikan has a lot of words to say about it beyond that link, but on my end, I am mostly just having fun drawing it:

But I am not very good at painting, just lineart. So I have a bit of an announcement to make.

Starting on April 29th, the Inverse World kickstarter will go live! Our goal is $1000, to fund art for the cover and the inside of the book. When you make a pledge higher than $10, you will immediately receive the full versions of every playbook already previewed! We also have a couple goodies in store for you, the first of which will be announced when we start the kickstarter itself. I am pretty excited about this, and I hope you are too.

Inverse World Stuff posted:

Inverse World Preview Playbooks - all in one place, all playable. If you're planning to get in on the kickstarter, you can basically start using these immediately, and you'll have the full playbooks next week!
Setting and Mythos Preview

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

sentrygun posted:

Yeah, the Sharpshooter does have +1/-1 to Volley. The Marksman has ranged Exterminatus. As EF said, they might have been playing that one.

e: Whoops, I can't even keep the name of my own class straight. The Sharpshooter is mine. The Marksman is EF's.

MadRhetoric fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 23, 2013

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

MadRhetoric posted:

Yeah, the Sharpshooter does have +1/-1 to Volley. The Marksman has ranged Exterminatus. As EF said, they might have been playing that one.

e: Whoops, I can't even keep the name of my own class straight. The Sharpshooter is mine. The Marksman is EF's.

The Sharpshooter link in the OP still specifies the +2d4/-4 to damage.

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Why is April 29th so many days away? :saddowns:

I think I may make another revision to the Marksman, primarily to switch over to the Inverse World-style Drive/Background options instead of Race/Alignment options. It just looks like it would work so much better with DW's playstyle, and I already have the Drive list pretty much complete in the flavor item selections.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
At the risk of getting swept under Inverse World excitement (I, too, am excited), I'm hoping I can get some feedback on my Spirit Catcher class in progress. From catching spirits in jars like fireflies to having your goofy bird tattoo be the spirit of the grand Phoenix, the Spirit Catcher is all about catching spirits, talking to them, and letting them go. Or crushing the very life out of them, if you're a big jerk.

I guess my big specific worries are "is this cool" and "does Forced Release work well/how should I tweak it", but anything about anything in there would be nice to hear. The Catcher isn't supposed to be a big combat class, but isn't d4+buff move bad at it. I figure the flavor will work fine in any campaign, whether that be the fantasy hero with the dragon tattoo, a wizened old man with a lantern full of souls, or even a technomancer who talks to the ghost in the shell. There's definitely some stuff that needs to be tweaked in there, but staring at it by myself any longer is just going to make me freak out and think the whole thing is a bad idea.

Also, there's no mechanical limit to the number of spirits you can hold at any given time. I considered making it equal to your Constitution back when I wanted it to be split between WIS and CON, but both because I don't want to make a move that replaces the stat you use to H&S/Volley and because that felt weird and cumbersome I went ahead and dropped it. I don't know how much the class really needs to restrict you to a certain number of spirits held at any time, but I figure it's not really a problem since nothing can abuse having fifty souls in reserve. Soul Eater could turn them into a bunch of HP, but it'll also melt your brain.

EscortMission
Mar 4, 2009

Come with me
if you want to live.
I'm not sure if this is working as intended, but I've got a player using the Survivor preview. He used Defend, blew one hold on Redirect to Self, and blew the other three hold on "do damage equal to your level." He uses You Are Already Dead to trade the meager damage in for three Fate, and immediately cashes in, doing enough damage in one action to one-shot a mountain.

Make no mistakes, it was unconscionably bitchin, and I am completely OK with this sort of insane Exalted level of play. He had just piledrivered a centipede the size of a subway car into star dust.

I just want to know if this is intended behavior, and something I should be looking out for every time he rolls for Defend.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

EscortMission posted:

I'm not sure if this is working as intended, but I've got a player using the Survivor preview. He used Defend, blew one hold on Redirect to Self, and blew the other three hold on "do damage equal to your level." He uses You Are Already Dead to trade the meager damage in for three Fate, and immediately cashes in, doing enough damage in one action to one-shot a mountain.

Make no mistakes, it was unconscionably bitchin, and I am completely OK with this sort of insane Exalted level of play. He had just piledrivered a centipede the size of a subway car into star dust.

I just want to know if this is intended behavior, and something I should be looking out for every time he rolls for Defend.

This is not intended, although that is extremely clever. I think I will change the trigger to "when you deal your damage", rather than dealing damage by any means at all. Being able to obliterate anything by using Defend is not the intention at all.

EscortMission
Mar 4, 2009

Come with me
if you want to live.

gnome7 posted:

This is not intended, although that is extremely clever. I think I will change the trigger to "when you deal your damage", rather than dealing damage by any means at all. Being able to obliterate anything by using Defend is not the intention at all.

I'll tell him his idea was extremely clever then! Thank you for saving an entire catalog of monsters from a fate worse than dying in outrageously awesome ways.

I might still let him gain a single Fate this way, since stepping in between an innocent bystander, lightly touching an opponent six times, and having them explode from every chakra point is still totally awesome if completely unintended. I wouldn't even want to imagine how to word it to make it fit on a playbook though.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
My first thought on the Spirit Catcher is yes, it is very cool. The basic concept is really strong and can draw on characters from Mask of the Betrayer to Pokemon, and the idea of encountering/gathering spirits with individual characters of their own could add a lot to a game's world. I don't think i'm familiar enough with the DW mechanics to go too in-depth, but the first things that struck me as issues:

There's hardly any choice in the moves themselves, no pick-2 from these 4 and only one hold move when that seems fitting for a collecting-and-expending-things class. Especially Soul Eater could easily be made into a choice move, something like

When you crush a spirit you hold and absorb it into your own, roll +WIS. On a 10+ pick 2, on a 7-9 pick 1, on a 6- the GM picks one.
-Its life-force flows into yours and you heal 1d8 HP
-The spirit whispers one thing it knew as it fades into you
-You are not compelled to follow one of the spirit's urges

That last one could scale naturally based on the spirit's power in the fiction.

For Slip Through The Cracks, how exactly do you strike at an enemy's spirit? By using Forceful Release? Or if not, what keeps you from striking every enemy's spirit for every attack?

For the 'Words' method of catching, does 'calm a spirit' refer to the 7-9 result on Spiritbind? That could be reworded as something more active/evocative, "convince" or "placate" maybe. Calm is a bit tepid and indistinct.

Thinking of Mask of the Betrayer, I think you could diversify the class and support more playstyles by adding some more advances centered on the idea of a natural or unnatural hunger, able to intimidate spirits with your reputation/aura and consume them for power. There's a seed of it currently in the Whispers of the World and Soul Eater moves, maybe you could have an advanced move like

When you bind a powerful or unique spirit, hold 3. You may spend hold to use a monster Move appropriate to that spirit's powers. You may only have one powerful spirit bound in this way at a time.

TombsGrave
Feb 15, 2008

Long story short, Sentrygun, that's a pretty flavorful-looking class you've got. I particularly like the flavor of it and the assorted ways they use their gimmick. Comments...

Spiritbind's 10+ is easier than a 7-9 but it also sounds more limited. Maybe it should read "On a 10+, the spirit agrees to help you for a time. On a 7-9 the spirit is unwilling; choose one: * It puts up a struggle. * It will only help you on one condition."

You might need to clarify "Become the Hunted." Maybe "you send your spirit out to act in your stead" instead of "you may act as your incorporeal spirit;" as-is, it sounds like you turn yourself incorporeal, and "returning to your body" looks like either an error or a non-sequitur.

Soul Eater is thematically interesting but the catch of it is more than likely going to dissuade players from learning it rather than take it and use it wisely for fear of permanent loss of control.

Also? Purely by coincidence I've been working on my own class with a similar theme, the Channeler. I say "similar" because while they've got a couple moves in common (namely the perma-bound-spirit-buddy, a capture/channel option that succeeds at 10+ when somebody you've killed is involved) they're still pretty different.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.

PublicOpinion posted:

As a visual aid, these were the overworld maps I used when I was setting up the one-shot:

Since I didn't have a real plan, I just threw those together and asked the players what place looked interesting to have an adventure near. I should've guessed that the mountain with a skull on it would be the obvious answer.

Looking at all this stuff that people draw for their games makes me intensely jealous and wish I was any good at drawing things.

On an unrelated note, I'm happy to hear that there's going to be a Kickstarter for Inverse World. I've loved everything I've seen about Inverse World thus far, and based on that Inverse World is definitely a product that I would like to throw my money at.

EDIT: The thing I love about Inverse World is that it perfectly demonstrates the strength of Dungeon World as a system as well as its modularity. The Dungeon World system itself fits on two pages of player moves and one that outlines the GM's agenda, principles and moves, and while Dungeon World is very much a D&D-like game, there's very little in the actual rules of the game that suggests a setting with the trappings of D&D, beyond the assumption that the characters are adventurers of some sort. Almost all of the D&D trappings of the game are in the classes and monsters, and changing the "feel" of Dungeon World from traditional D&D fantasy to something else is as simple as using a different selection of classes and creating your own, less D&D-ish monsters.

I'd very much like to see more of something like Inverse World, that is taking the rules of Dungeon World and then changing up the monsters and classes to expand the scope of the game beyond "D&D with modern rules." (Not to say that Dungeon World doesn't do a good job at that too.)

Ratpick fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Apr 23, 2013

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?

sentrygun posted:

At the risk of getting swept under Inverse World excitement (I, too, am excited), I'm hoping I can get some feedback on my Spirit Catcher class in progress.

I have a player who would absolutely love this when finished. He's got a bit of a nerd boner for the League of Legends champion Thresh, so this will be right up his alley.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.
I'm working on a new class, the Giant. It's starting moves are proving quite tricky. I wanted them to express both the advantages and disadvantages of being a really huge guy surrounded by people and things that weren't designed with your size in consideration.

The that effect, I have the following moves, but I don't know if they are fun and easy to use...

quote:

Larger than Life
You are much larger than other races. This gives you many advantages, but there are also disadvantages to your size when interacting with the smallfolk. Choose how big you are at character creation:

⃞Big (Size 1)
You are roughly twice as tall as a human. You can fit in human-sized abodes and settlements with little or rare difficulty. Add the following tags to your attacks: Reach, Forceful

⃞Large (Size 2)
You are around 4 times taller than a human. You can fit in human-sized settlements but an average sized building is just too small. You can easily pick up something human-sized and fling it easily. Add the following tags to your attacks: Reach, Forceful, Messy

⃞Huge (Size 3)
You stand 7 times taller than a human. You may uncomfortably fit in some larger settlements, but most human-sized spaces and doorways are far too small. You can easily pick up something horse-sized and toss it. Add the following tags to your attacks: Reach, Near Forceful, Messy,

⃞Gargantuan (Size 4)
you are massive, 10 times taller than a human! Human settlements and buildings are far too small to fit you. You could easily pick up a horsecart and toss it. Add the following tags to your attacks: Reach, Near Forceful, Messy, Ignores Armor

Spatial Awareness
When you take violent or sudden action in surroundings not designed to accommodate you, Roll whatever move is triggered as normal. In addition to the move’s rules, *On a 10+, choose your size number -1. *On a 7-9, choose your size number. *On a miss, choose your size +1:

Your surroundings are damaged by your actions
Someone you don’t want harmed is put in danger
Something important is knocked out of reach or damaged
You lose your footing or get stuck
You are attacked or suffer damage from the environment
You are swarmed or cornered

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Great minds etc. I'm working on a Behemoth class right now! Considerably smaller though (i.e. 7-9ft tall), so based around being a bulky person rather than a literal giant.

I like the idea of being able to represent something 10x the size of a person, but I wouldn't consider what you've got a viable bunch of starting moves; they read more like racial choices with a severe drawback.

What you list for the sizes seem like a good place to draw some fun starting moves from, as they give a really decent core idea of a class.

E.g. Gargantuan (Size 4)
you are massive, 10 times taller than a human! Human settlements and buildings are far too small to fit you. You could easily pick up a horsecart and toss it. Add the following tags to your attacks: Reach, Near Forceful, Messy, Ignores Armor

From this, I'd give something like:

quote:

Hurl
When you pick up and throw a something roll 2d6+STR.
On a 10+ it lands where you want it to go.
On a 7-9 choose one: it lands awkwardly, goes off course or leaves you vulnerable while picking it up.

For my own class, the behemoth, these are the starting moves I've got so far. Feel free to nab them! I'd love advice and tips on these too. It's intended to represent a hulking man, minotaur or ogre, so about 7-9ft tall and 300 lbs. Using STR and CON to give a class that does good crowd control and tanking, as I'd quite like a lot of interaction with the other characters.

quote:

Scatter
When you swipe at a horde of man-sized (or smaller) enemies, roll 2d6+STR.
* On a 10+, you force up to four enemies backwards.
* On a 7-9, as above, but you take damage from one.
This is intended to open up opportunities for your comrades and use the environment, so "force back" could be "shove off a ledge into a pit" or "kick onto their backs"

"Is that all you've got?"
When you take damage in melee combat, roll 2d6+CON. On a 10+ choose two, on a 7-9 choose one:
* disarm your enemy (their blade is stuck in you!)
* intimidate your enemy, giving an ally +1 forwards
* gain 2 armour against that type of weapon for the duration of the fight.
A more situational defend, aimed at giving in-combat options.

Intimidate
When you physically threaten someone, roll to Parley using STR.
I've also been thinking about using something along the lines of the Hurl I suggested above, as that could be a pretty drat fun move!

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Apr 23, 2013

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?
I love this thread and everyone in it, it just keeps giving! :allears:. My upcoming game is going to end up being a horrible jumbled mess of Giants, Witches, Gladiators, Mages and Mech Pilots and oh god it's going to be so much fun.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
I think someone asked for a Jekyll and Hyde style class a few pages back. I wrote starting moves for one in the previous DW thread, but it wasn't that great. Have been updating it a bit today! I'll post that later, along with my updated Necromancer class.

Also doing a Doppleganger, Gunpowder Bandit, and Demonspeaker

vulgey posted:

I love this thread and everyone in it, it just keeps giving! :allears:. My upcoming game is going to end up being a horrible jumbled mess of Giants, Witches, Gladiators, Mages and Mech Pilots and oh god it's going to be so much fun.

That sounds awesome!

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

The Supreme Court posted:

Great minds etc. I'm working on a Behemoth class right now! Considerably smaller though (i.e. 7-9ft tall), so based around being a bulky person rather than a literal giant.

I like the idea of being able to represent something 10x the size of a person, but I wouldn't consider what you've got a viable bunch of starting moves; they read more like racial choices with a severe drawback.

What you list for the sizes seem like a good place to draw some fun starting moves from, as they give a really decent core idea of a class.

E.g. Gargantuan (Size 4)

From this, I'd give something like:

For my own class, the behemoth, these are the starting moves I've got so far. Feel free to nab them! I'd love advice and tips on these too. It's intended to represent a hulking man, minotaur or ogre, so about 7-9ft tall and 300 lbs. Using STR and CON to give a class that does good crowd control and tanking, as I'd quite like a lot of interaction with the other characters.

I've also been thinking about using something along the lines of the Hurl I suggested above, as that could be a pretty drat fun move!

That Hurl move is great, and gives me ideas for revisiting the sizes and making them as moves you choose at the start, as a way to condense the idea of the giant's size down to 1 move for each size.

I'm sortof aiming for a guy whose size doesn't neccessarily just pidgeonhole him as the overwhelming damage dealer, though a move for wrestling dragons and other large beasties might make an appearance. I wanted the giants to have a purpose beyond "Be Big, Break Stuff"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not entirely sure why, but I'm building my mounts towards the assumption that at some point, someone somewhere will make Fairy World where everyone is tiny.

quote:

Spider

Something crawls in the minds of most people on seeing a spider. They are the sensible ones. You, on the other hand, ride one.

Tiny, Mount +1, 1 Passengers

Wall Crawler
While riding a spider, you may climb walls and even cling to ceilings. You also always have spider silk which may be used as a rope. Given enough time and food, it may make a fine web.

Arachnophobia
When you parley with someone from atop a spider, add the spider’s Mount stat to your roll.

Prey
When you hack and slash a foe while riding a spider and down them, you may choose to let your foe live but have them be poisoned to unconsciousness and cocooned by your spider.

quote:

Frog, Toad

Ribbit.

Tiny, Mount +1, Aquatic, 0 Passengers

Sticky Tongue
When you wish to hack and slash a somewhat distant foe, you may use your mount's tongue to drag them to you so long as they are as large or smaller than this mount and then hack and slash them as normal.

Jumpy
When you defy danger to jump as far as you can, you may add this mount's Mount stat to your roll and reroll it once on a miss.

Of course, the option will exist to make them bigger if you're a boring old human-size person.

quote:

Giant: put “Giant” in front of this mount’s name (such as Giant Spider). This tag is only appropriate for mounts of Small size or below. It is now an exceptionally large variant of its species or make. Choose a size from Large, Huge, Gigantic or Gargantuan and apply it to the mount.

If you make it really big, you even open up entirely new options.

quote:

Howdah

This construct allows one to travel in comfort and safety atop a massive beast.

Size Equals Beast, Mount Equals Beast, Vehicle, +1 Armor, 10 Passengers

Saddle Up
When you mount a howdah onto a huge or larger beast, the following applies. The Howdah may be mounted on any tame mount of Huge size or larger. It will take on the mount’s size and Mount stat. The rider retains the mount’s normal moves as Rider moves.If the mount is Aquatic or travels through Space, the Howdah must be designed to accommodate this: if this is done, the Howdah gains the appropriate tags.

Passenger Move: Firing Positions
When you volley from atop this beast, add this mount’s Mount stat to all damage rolls.

Passenger Move: Small Onboard Catapult
When you fire firepots from the howdah’s onboard catapult, volley as normal (with the Reload tag). If you deal damage, you deal 1d4 damage which ignores armor to your target and everyone around them. Choose from the following on a 7-9.
-Snapped Rope! The catapult must be repaired before being fired again.
-Misfire! The firepot ruptures before landing, setting some part of the howdah alight.
-Out of Firepots! future shots only deal damage to the target, not to those surrounding it.

And I promise Inverse World compatability because... well, because I want to play Inverse World and ride through the sky atop a flying whale with a howdah on it. Duh.