Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->

MononcQc posted:

if you think of text as individual characters you can manipulate you're most likely gonna be in a world of pain.

or words as space delimited :dominic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

by default gpg requires real names to be 4 characters in length minimum

this would cause issues for japanese people if they didn't implement it using strlen so it actually winds up counting bytes (though i wonder if there are any japanese first/last names that are one kanji)

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

yaoi prophet posted:

by default gpg requires real names to be 4 characters in length minimum

this would cause issues for japanese people if they didn't implement it using strlen so it actually winds up counting bytes (though i wonder if there are any japanese first/last names that are one kanji)

there are, but if they're not using the romanized spelling of their name they deserve what they get

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

how many of his 99 problems are unicode related? at least two, obviously, but what's the exact total?

1. bom in utf8
2. surrogate pairs in utf8
3. surrogate pairs
4. composite characters
5. decomposed characters
6. han unification
7. non-han separation
8. variation selectors, language tags, interlinear annotations, bidi controls and other stupid poo poo
9. locale-dependent case folding

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)
why is this thread blacked out? some kind of CISPA protest?

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

poo poo he found us you guys can come out now

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

im going to assume thats from hn and you should feel bad

hth

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

polpotpi posted:

im going to assume thats from hn and you should feel bad

hth

:q:

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

slightly surprised snap and yesod aren't higher but eh

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

iirc there are like 5-10 other charts for different kinds of benchmarks on different back-ends. The results are not uniform in all cases.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i h8 that visual studio doesn't do transitive dependencies.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Shaggar posted:

i h8 that visual studio doesn't do transitive dependencies.

It doesn't actually traverse the dependency tree, but instead only looks at the first level? Wow.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

what is it called when visual studio asks you to resolve ambiguity despite the exact type being defined on that line. because that sucks

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Werthog 95 posted:

what is it called when visual studio asks you to resolve ambiguity despite the exact type being defined on that line. because that sucks

Java

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Otto Skorzeny posted:

It doesn't actually traverse the dependency tree, but instead only looks at the first level? Wow.

it doesn't have a dependency tree, i guess? idk. heres my current solution layout

Solution
-ProjectA (contains model + interfaces)
--Has Dependency on System.IdentityModel
-ProjectB (contains an implementation of interfaces in A)
--Has Dependency on ProjectA
-ProjectC (service that uses B to implement A.)
--Has Dependencies on ProjectA and ProjectB

When i start to implement something in ProjectB the System.IdentityModel reference is not available until i add it manually, even though it is required in the already referenced ProjectA. Im sure theres a reason for this but its dumb.

Werthog 95 posted:

that's b/c visual studio litterrally does not compile or error check code in realtime like eclipse does. if you hit rebuild it should go away. this is my #2 grievance w/ visual studio.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

oh ok neato

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

Shaggar posted:

that's b/c visual studio litterrally does not compile or error check code in realtime like eclipse does. if you hit rebuild it should go away. this is my #2 grievance w/ visual studio.
even with Roslyn?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
idk who that is. is she qt?

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

current scala status: pattern matching is fuckin wacky

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

pattern matching owns

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

gucci void main posted:

pattern matching owns

also regular expressions :allears:

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

A lovely guide to matching things:

regular expressions :stonk:
pattern matching :allears:
unification :magical:

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

so far for my job i just can't get into tdd. i don't necessarily mind tests but i just don't like the idea of writing tests first.

addendum: in particular, i don't like digging through a hundred spec files to find the most appropriate place to add specific tests.

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Werthog 95 posted:

current type erasure status: still a bitchhhhh

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

gucci void main posted:

so far for my job i just can't get into tdd. i don't necessarily mind tests but i just don't like the idea of writing tests first.

addendum: in particular, i don't like digging through a hundred spec files to find the most appropriate place to add specific tests.

best argument I have for this is that tests are going even more boring and lovely to write after the code. Writing them first couples them to the design phase you likely have mentally -- designing becomes a bit more boring, but writing tests is no longer a huge pain in the rear end that you end up hamfisting until they aren't helpful at all, just to get done with it. Also forces you to think as someone who uses the code first, instead of only as the person who writes it.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
The counter corollary to that is that you never get full requirements during the design phase so you're still gonna be making iirrelevant/impotent tests after the construction phase.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Werthog 95 posted:

are you doing the coursera thing too

does it bother you that the description of the problems have typos and weird grammar

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Share Bear posted:

does it bother you that the description of the problems have typos and weird grammar

nah I'm used to that from taking college classes from profs that don't speak english. honestly I think it's pretty dope to learn a language from the guy who loving invented it

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Werthog 95 posted:

nah I'm used to that from taking college classes from profs that don't speak english. honestly I think it's pretty dope to learn a language from the guy who loving invented it

that part is nice, definitely, but most of my struggle with the course has been related to parsing the English of the problem set

i've been out of college for too long

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

just replace the ???s until the tests pass

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

MeruFM posted:

The counter corollary to that is that you never get full requirements during the design phase so you're still gonna be making iirrelevant/impotent tests after the construction phase.

Isn't the counter to that counter that if you need to change tests, you'll also need to change code, so why would you drop the tests but not the code?

IMO when the requirements are not known, I prefer to be able to take a step to prototype poo poo, show it, let people make their minds, and then develop the serious thing from there. With the assumption the prototype is a throwaway without tests, and that it will be rewritten more seriously, that is.

It's a bit longer as a process and doesn't necessarily protect you against future change, but it drops a lot of uncertainty, and the tests tend to help having loosely coupled components that are easy to throw away and replace when they're not good anymore, with more confidence than "let's just inject the behavior change in the old messy code".

Either that, or you ship without tests, up to the point where you just do the "think very hard and pray it doesn't break" routine on every modification. Which works, but is a loving pain.

MeruFM
Jul 27, 2010
The reason is because we are governed by business. Assuming a 6 month project, 2 months design. If they want to add something in month 5, you just hope your butt that the design accommodates the change gracefully. Or you can reject and get put on the support team for the thing until the feature is added.

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Share Bear posted:

Do you only speak English? I think being bilingual has shielded me from bad grammar and spelling, all that matters is comprehension which can be inferred most of the time.

I haven't finished the scala lectures for this week so I don't know what the problems are like.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

i'm still cranking out the huffman poo poo myself. every goddamn time i take a coursera course i get distracted four weeks into it and forget about it, trying not to do that again

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Oh hey there Mr Hardware layout guy. If you are going to put a USB port on the device, put it on correctly.

VCC
D-
D+
ID
GND

it's not

VCC
D+
D-
ID
GND

Also please don't use lovely 5v regulators that crap out along with lovely Ceramic Oscillators for things that need precision. TYIA fucker.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

what does any of that have to do with programming languages, Mr Rat Bert Guy

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
for as long as connections exist, people will find a way to swap tx/rx, d+/d-, mosi/miso. it is simply the way of the universe

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Werthog 95 posted:

if only there were a Language that could Describe some Hardware - perhaps the Very high speed type

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Werthog 95 posted:

Perhaps, perhaps if there was a way to program hardware. In a way that we could all use it in a simple to use way, such as plugging it in to a computer.

Also perhaps there are pre-compiled libraries that should work correctly with minimal changes. And if it doesn't work with some very small changes, it could cost a weeks worth of time.

Otto Skorzeny posted:

for as long as connections exist, people will find a way to swap tx/rx, d+/d-, mosi/miso. it is simply the way of the universe

This is a truth that has bit me on the rear end more than once. And everytime like a broken record I forget to check the pinout for at least a day or so. :smith: