Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
http://gta.wikia.com/Red_Balloons
I just got the reference, this series is amazing :aaaaa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
So has anyone purchased VCS/LCS on PSN, any trip reports on the quality of the ports?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I only have a couple of hours into VCS and have only done the intro mission in LCS.

I did not play the PS2 versions, but I'm under the impression that these are just direct ports of those. The framerate in both games is pretty choppy, but smoother in VCS. I didn't notice it in LCS, but VCS still has some pretty bad pop-in issues, and both games have pretty muted colors compared to the PSP versions.

They're good games and worth the money if you haven't played them before, but otherwise I would tell you to pass.

Zedicus Mann
May 5, 2012

I'm considering going ahead and buying the PS2 ports despite owning the PSP versions on PSN since I don't entirely like playing them with the PSP thumbstick.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

The PS2 port of LCS is my favorite GTA game. I had no idea they were on PSN, I'll buy 'em even though I have 'em.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

LCS and VCS are going to be on sale on PSN soon (now?):
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/04/15/playstation-plus-malicious-free-for-members/

As well as other GTA games if you don't have them somehow.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

wa27 posted:

LCS and VCS are going to be on sale on PSN soon (now?):
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/04/15/playstation-plus-malicious-free-for-members/

As well as other GTA games if you don't have them somehow.

Thanks for this!

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

bort posted:

The PS2 port of LCS is my favorite GTA game. I had no idea they were on PSN, I'll buy 'em even though I have 'em.
What about LCS do you like so much? I'm only a few hours into it, and find it enjoyable, but still prefer Vice City and San Andreas.

bort
Mar 13, 2003

Vice City car handling in the Liberty City environment. I thought the storyline was fun and expanded the overall canon in a neat way. The minigames were great. The soundtrack is fantastic, the pedestrians are hilarious. Not that Vice City isn't extremely special to me, or that San Andreas isn't an incredibly impressive game. Those are two and three on my list, I just really liked GTA III and wanted a lot more and LCS was it.

What's weird is that Vice City Stories never grabbed me in the same way, since it's the greatness of San Andreas in the pleasing beauty of Vice City. But something about the grittiness of the original Liberty City always appealed to me.

bort fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 18, 2013

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Just recently I got Sleeping Dogs and oh my god I just can't get used to the car handling. It feels like the slightest touch causes whatever vehicle I'm trying to drive to jerk suddenly into a tight turning circle. Is that a symptom of the PC controls or does it happen on console too?

I bring it up here because my entire experience of driving games has been confined to the GTA series, and I find the driving in GTA (specifically GTA4) to be superb (probably because I'm just "used to it"), despite reading many many complaints about how driving a car in GTA is like driving a boat. I can understand that because it the physics does seem a bit floaty at times, and I seem to remember it being very floaty in GTA:SA.

But after Sleeping Dogs I can't bring myself to accept that the driving in that game is better - which leads me to ask: what is the general consensus on which games have "better driving simulation" - whether that be physics or controls - and which games have worse? Of the open-world games, that is, not racing games.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
Some people like arcade, some people like simulation.

I play on PC and I like the simulation, especially in the multiplayer.

I just love Team Mafiya Wars and the feeling of smoothly drifting a corner while popping out bullets out of the passenger side in a mad dash to escape and kill pursuers and pulling off an emergency J turn if I hit something while doing so.

Other people who can only do three point turns to turn around in a narrow street and can't get it into their heads that grip is finite and spread across turning, accelerating, and decelerating (Forza's tire grip telemetry is a really good visualization of this) probably prefer arcade where they don't have to worry about such madness.

I find GTA 4 to be a nice mix of arcade and simulation with a bias towards simulation. The balance isn't right for everyone though.

crazysim fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 18, 2013

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Was the frame rate in Liberty City Stories PS2 (PAL version) always this bad? Playing the PSN version on my PS3 and it's like I'm going in slow motion. I don't remember it being this jerky when I played it on my PS2 back in 2006, maybe it's an emulation issue on the PS3 or maybe I just didn't care so much back then.

At least Flashback FM is just as awesome as it always was. Giorgio Moroder songs all day every day :getin:

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

KKKlean Energy posted:

But after Sleeping Dogs I can't bring myself to accept that the driving in that game is better - which leads me to ask: what is the general consensus on which games have "better driving simulation" - whether that be physics or controls - and which games have worse? Of the open-world games, that is, not racing games.

You're going to find a bunch of people who like GTA4's driving (people who have apparently never driven a real car), a bunch of people who like the 3-era driving, and basically nothing else.

I love the 3-era driving because it has an immense skillcap, it's incredibly satisfying and you can do almost anything once you're good at it.

Sleeping Dogs has pretty good driving mechanics on a controller, no idea how it is on a keyboard but it's very easy to drive in the game because in shooting situations you have slowmo. It's very deliberately action movie driving in a very action movie styled game.

Just Cause 2's driving is god awful. Saints Row's is OK but the camera is trash compared to GTA.

K8.0 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Apr 22, 2013

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

teethgrinder posted:

What about LCS do you like so much? I'm only a few hours into it, and find it enjoyable, but still prefer Vice City and San Andreas.

I like the layout of Liberty City more than Vice or San Andreas. San Andreas has a much larger map, but one first playthrough it's a little hard to navigate the areas that you don't spend a whole lot of time in.

So to come back to the GTA3 map, with the new vehicles and aiming and more missions was great for me.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

K8.0 posted:

You're going to find a bunch of people who like GTA4's driving (people who have apparently never driven a real car), a bunch of people who like the 3-era driving, and basically nothing else.

I love the 3-era driving because it has an immense skillcap, it's incredibly satisfying and you can do almost anything once you're good at it.
I dislike 3-era because its like a slot car track, the cars were too fast around a turn and had too much grip. If you did a standing burnout and then let go of the brake none of the cars would spin the rear wheels, they would just get traction and off the car goes. Its little things like that that makes GTA4s driving much better. They clearly didnt get it down 100% and werent going to go simulation, but all the things that you except to happen in real life are there.

What do you mean by "you can do almost anything once youre good at it"? Go do a J-turn in GTA4 and GTA3 and tell me which feels better.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
gently caress yes, from the moment I found out you could J-Turn with some level of reliability in IV it was on.

I much prefer IV's level of streamlined physics to the turn-on-a-dime III era. If it was like Rigs of Rods it would be unplayable.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
Giving some love for the car damage in 4 too. No idea why, but I love good car damage in games. Cars are such soda cans, Gta4 was probably the first game to showcase this, outside of a 'demolition racer'. I spent ages launching cars off that tall cliff near that girlfriends house (the drop, leads you near to brucies garage) just to see the great crushing damages.

The runner up is the game MAFIA, which featured car model morphing rather than pieces of the car model falling off.

There's a video kicking around of the cry engine 3 (I think) of some truck purposely crashing. It's a tech demo but it looks good.

I hope 5 is gonna have the same, if not better damage physics. I like when cars do many rolls, they just shed their parts and end up like paper mâché :)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

simosimo posted:

There's a video kicking around of the cry engine 3 (I think) of some truck purposely crashing. It's a tech demo but it looks good.

I had to look this up so here it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KppTmsNFneg

Yes, I love me some car damage too... when I realised in IV they had made it so much more realistic I stopped doing missions and just went around smashing poo poo up for a while :D

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Changing taxis to take 5x damage is pretty hilarious. Minor accidents will result in fire and hitting them at speed will make them explode. This results in chaos as lines of traffic begin to explode because some one had a minor accident with a taxi. For extra hilarity, make your preferred car take no damage and increase the mass. This allows you to plow through traffic and will send cars flying blocks away.

Here are the handling.dat lines that I use for Taxi and Turismo. The TAXI2 vehicle can also use the same line. And Turismo is my go to car for screwing around due to the dealership near the TBOGT home.

TAXI 19.0 5.0 85 0.0 0.0 -0.12 0.0 5 0.15 1.0 335.0 0.2 0.65 0.7 35.0 1.2 0.95 14.5 0.15 0.48 1.5 0.9 0.9 0.14 -0.18 0.0 0.5 6.0 6.0 6.0 7.5 0.0 25000 440000 0 0
TURISMO 17000.0 12.5 85 0.0 -0.1 -0.18 0.40 5 0.55 1.0 460.0 1.2 0.70 0.7 30.0 2.10 1.10 15.0 0.12 0.47 2.0 1.5 1.8 0.10 -0.10 0.0 0.5 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.2 0.0 100000 440010 1 1

Phuzun fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Apr 22, 2013

crunk and white
Apr 21, 2008

by Ralp
I've noticed that a lot of people seem to be cheating in free mode, and that this cheating almost always makes the game more fun. Are there any dedicated cheaters itt who can help me have the most fun cheating center?

Retarded_Clown_
Feb 18, 2012

crunk and white posted:

I've noticed that a lot of people seem to be cheating in free mode, and that this cheating almost always makes the game more fun. Are there any dedicated cheaters itt who can help me have the most fun cheating center?

Basically you need a modded xbox which could get you banned from xbox live. If you want to play it safe you can just join gay tony freeroam servers on weekends and weeknights youll see a lot of modders. It's quite fun to ride in their flying cars and whatnot, until you get a dick modder who decides to freeze your console or spawnkill you over and over, then it starts to suck. Generally youll find a mix of both.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

crunk and white posted:

Play on PC and get Simple Native Trainer. This will keep xou going at least a year.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Is there an easy way to install a 100% save game for GTAIV on PC? I have well and truly finished the game on console and I just want a save game with unlimited money and everything unlocked to gently caress around on.

Shitty Treat
Feb 21, 2012

Stoopid?

fuckpot posted:

Is there an easy way to install a 100% save game for GTAIV on PC? I have well and truly finished the game on console and I just want a save game with unlimited money and everything unlocked to gently caress around on.

You need to use xlive wrapper or xliveless to get them to work.
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=388680

You wont be able to play online multiplayer anymore though.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

lovely Treat posted:

You need to use xlive wrapper or xliveless to get them to work.
http://www.gtaforums.com/index.php?showtopic=388680

You wont be able to play online multiplayer anymore though.

This is wrong I have a 100 % savegame installed with windows live

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta

SEKCobra posted:

This is wrong I have a 100 % savegame installed with windows live
Please to be explaining how? I tried the posted method but after putting the xlive wrapper in the directory the game won't start.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Now that everything rockstar is on sale, im thinking of grabbing the Steam version of Bully. Is it up there in therms of quality like GTA?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Avocados posted:

Now that everything rockstar is on sale, im thinking of grabbing the Steam version of Bully. Is it up there in therms of quality like GTA?

The game certainly is (IMO) but I have no idea how good the port is. I played the 360 version when that came out.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
The port is great, the game is great. Go for it.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

fuckpot posted:

Please to be explaining how? I tried the posted method but after putting the xlive wrapper in the directory the game won't start.

I don't exactly remember, there was some tool for it I think, that would copy it in the right places and poo poo.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Avocados posted:

At the same time, is it worth getting the complete Max Payne set, or just the package with 1 and 2? I really enjoyed the first game but I've heard differing things about MP3.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
It's great for cheap especially because on PC you can get the skip cutscenes mod

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

simosimo posted:

Giving some love for the car damage in 4 too. No idea why, but I love good car damage in games. Cars are such soda cans, Gta4 was probably the first game to showcase this, outside of a 'demolition racer'. I spent ages launching cars off that tall cliff near that girlfriends house (the drop, leads you near to brucies garage) just to see the great crushing damages.

The runner up is the game MAFIA, which featured car model morphing rather than pieces of the car model falling off.

I hope 5 is gonna have the same, if not better damage physics. I like when cars do many rolls, they just shed their parts and end up like paper mâché :)

Don't forgot Carmageddon 2, which had a cruder version of GTA4's deforming cars. It's real impressive for a game made in 1998 though. Cars could get bent into a croissant shape, get flattened, or even get split in half.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 26, 2013

TacticalUrbanHomo
Aug 17, 2011

by Lowtax
I'm playing through Grand Theft Auto IV again for the first time since 2008. I took a university course in Chinese language since then, and Brucie's chest tattoo is definitely "Wo". The word for I, or me. I always figured it was something dumb, meaningless, and possibly vulgar, but yeah as far as I can tell it's just some random word (So, two out of three) with no greater meaning or implications to it, other than that he's a moron who gets tattoos of things he can't read just because they look exotic.

He's got another one on his back but I haven't gotten a good look at it yet.

N. Senada
May 17, 2011

My kidneys are busted

thehumandignity posted:

He's got another one on his back but I haven't gotten a good look at it yet.

I'll spoiler this excerpt from a wiki if you want the excitement of figuring it out for yourself.
When Brucie has his shirt off, a Chinese tattoo that reads "我" is visible. This translates to "me", or "I" in English, depending on what context it is being used in Chinese. Brucie has a tattoo on his lower stomach with the words "Mommy" which is only visible in two missions when he has his shirt off. The tattoos are similar to Scott Alexander's (which also read "No. 1" and things like "First", "Winner" and "Best" in Japanese), although Scott says of the tattoos on his website "I have these tattoos not because I see myself as the best or number one, but because [...] every time I look at one of my tattoos, even if I feel tired or ill, it charges me with adrenaline". Also, on his lower back are the two Chinese characters "人妖", which means "she-male".

I'd love it if you could confirm this.

And apparently his brother Mori has one too:
He claims to have a very large penis, calling it "the monster". Interestingly, a tattoo can be seen on his back, which, when translated into traditional Chinese, reads "small penis", contradicting his statement.

N. Senada fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Apr 27, 2013

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

N. Senada posted:

I'll spoiler this excerpt from a wiki if you want the excitement of figuring it out for yourself.
When Brucie has his shirt off, a Chinese tattoo that reads "我" is visible. This translates to "me", or "I" in English, depending on what context it is being used in Chinese. Brucie has a tattoo on his lower stomach with the words "Mommy" which is only visible in two missions when he has his shirt off. The tattoos are similar to Scott Alexander's (which also read "No. 1" and things like "First", "Winner" and "Best" in Japanese), although Scott says of the tattoos on his website "I have these tattoos not because I see myself as the best or number one, but because [...] every time I look at one of my tattoos, even if I feel tired or ill, it charges me with adrenaline". Also, on his lower back are the two Chinese characters "人妖", which means "she-male".

I'd love it if you could confirm this.

And apparently his brother Mori has one too:
He claims to have a very large penis, calling it "the monster". Interestingly, a tattoo can be seen on his back, which, when translated into traditional Chinese, reads "small penis", contradicting his statement.

GTA is so diligently juvenile.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Avocados posted:

It's a really awesome game. It's very different from GTA in that it's set in a small town, and has an actual cast and AFAIK no random NPCs. It's really cool.

The port is pretty bad, but it runs fine on modern PCs. The main problem is that getting your input configured is an immense annoyance, but once that's taken care of you're all set.

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist

Scuba diving better be a thing.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi

NOTinuyasha posted:

Scuba diving better be a thing.

I am considering every detail in this trailer to be an intentional verification that they are implementing it. I think they are aware of this after the dog thing back in the day. Also I think they verified submarines or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faltese Malkin
Aug 22, 2005
Georgetown

SEKCobra posted:

I am considering every detail in this trailer to be an intentional verification that they are implementing it. I think they are aware of this after the dog thing back in the day. Also I think they verified submarines or something.

I believe Rockstar has already said that there will be fully detailed ocean coast line that you can explore, including underwater caves

• Locked thread