Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
terivinix
Feb 15, 2012

tirinal posted:

Expressing interest.

Bugblatter posted:

Underground sounds cool, I'll come along.

Alright, in order to share directions, I'd suggest you guys join this page where you can find me:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/14318008459/?fref=ts

EDIT: Facebook event page created, which is going to be the place to RSVP.
https://www.facebook.com/events/493841184003797/?context=create
Someone joined the Korean UE group shortly after I posted it here, but I approved your name and it vanished. drat Facebook.

terivinix fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I could be down for some DnD but I would suggest a google hangout instead of skype. That way you can see me shotgunning beers and internalizing failure on reflex saves

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THINKING ABOUT THIS POST)

Arctic Baldwin posted:

I could be down for some DnD but I would suggest a google hangout instead of skype. That way you can see me shotgunning beers and internalizing failure on reflex saves

Do we not have enough seoul goons for an in person game?

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

We do but I believe some people in Busan and the boonies might want to play. Check your privilege.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

DontAskKant posted:

Do we not have enough seoul goons for an in person game?

Also, I never even glance at my door on Sundays.

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
I'm up for it either as a DM or player. I've DM'd 4th Ed, which I think is easy to pick up for beginners and is fun to DM.

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Touissaint promised paranoia a while back. Also, ask him about how he feels about me DMing. I vote 4ed. It's lovely.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

DontAskKant posted:

Touissaint promised paranoia a while back.

This thread is a field of broken dreams.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
4th is poo poo.

Utter poo poo.

I'll play and host Paranoia but I need a DM. I am such a poo poo DM, me DMing Paranoia is worse than not playing paranoia.

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
Does anyone have any experience buying/building a desktop computer in Korea? I'm leaving Canada in a few weeks, and I only have a desktop, which is too large to take over. I really want to avoid buying a laptop, it always seems like you pay twice as much for half the computer. I would need it to be able to function as a gaming computer, so that I can play video games online at 8:00 AM with my younger brother.

Apparently shops in Yongsan will assemble a computer for you if you bring them a list of parts. I don't really know anything about computers, and wouldn't be comfortable building it myself. Anyone have any experience/advice about this?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Gaming laptops these days are fine really, I got a $600 one two years ago and it still runs anything you throw at it no problem. Computers are really expensive here, your best option is to grab a solid laptop in Canada and bring it with you. Keep in mind your Korean apartment isn't going to have a lot of space and you may be moving frequently if you stay here.

If you want to desktop, where are you living? Building one is easy, I'm sure a lot of us could do it. I'd harvest the main components from your current computer and bring them with you, just pick up the tower/monitor here. If you don't care about money it's not hard to get everything here.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004

Tirius posted:

Does anyone have any experience buying/building a desktop computer in Korea? I'm leaving Canada in a few weeks, and I only have a desktop, which is too large to take over. I really want to avoid buying a laptop, it always seems like you pay twice as much for half the computer. I would need it to be able to function as a gaming computer, so that I can play video games online at 8:00 AM with my younger brother.

Apparently shops in Yongsan will assemble a computer for you if you bring them a list of parts. I don't really know anything about computers, and wouldn't be comfortable building it myself. Anyone have any experience/advice about this?

I did this to buy my work computer. I went here, sat down with a dude, told him the parts I wanted, and paid him. Then I told him I wanted them to assemble it (조립), and I think that ended up being 20,000 Won. I've put together many computers before, but for 20,000 Won, why gently caress around with stupid troubleshooting? Anyway, they charged me about 5% more than what the internet would have for parts and I am very happy with it.

In that same building you can also buy used/factory reject monitors for 100,000 Won. When you do, look them over very carefully, turn them on, subject them to a variety of conditions, etc... There's going to be something small wrong with every one they have for sale, it's just a matter of deciding if it's worth the compromise. One of my monitors doesn't sleep properly, the other dims when there are a lot of dark pixels on the screen, and they're both identical models, so I know they're not design flaws. Other than that, they're basically new, high-quality, brand-name monitors for about half the price.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

If you're lucky you can find cosmetic damage. I got my camera tripod for like 20% of the full price because it was the display model and was scratched up a bit.

AmbientParadox
Mar 2, 2005

We are the worst generation of kgoons.

The Gay Bean
Apr 19, 2004
So I'm proofing the international journal paper submission that describes the English-teaching robots that were big in the news a year or two ago. Will the internet allow me to use the word "ironic" loosely just this once to describe this situation?

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
^ESLception

Tirius posted:

Im not sure if it's your first time in Korea but if it is I'd suggest not playing games and instead work on building a social life.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

There's time for both, he said he wants to game with his brother come on man.

Buy guy, assuming you're going to be in a city (any city, unless you're teaching on a farm) you'll live close to like 20 pc bangs. There's one in my building, 2 in my hagwon's building and 1 across from my hagwon.

They're gonna have better computers than you will be buying. It's cheap as hell too, less than $1usd an hour. And they got all the mountain dew and shrimp chips you'll need.

And your gaming would count as "doing something Korean" too.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
PC 방s are smokey the majority of the time.

Probably wont have the game you want to play or you will have to wait for the game to doenload and install.

Will be entirely in Korean.

Good for something simple that you already know like League of Legends. But even then it's on the Korean servers.

So they aren't always the best options.

I'd suggest buying a laptop at home. I got mine shipped to me. In the end my laptop, a Samsung, cost me half the price as the identical model costs here. After shipping costs.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

I ended up building a computer recently, but mostly* for non-game stuff. I had my brother cannibalize and ship my old one that was gathering dust in my parents basement and bought a case and some internals (PSU, ram, etc) off gmarket and it ended up being super cheap. Buy secondhand or chinese-made becuase who cares and they're a fraction of the price.

*probably lying to myself here

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

AmbientParadox posted:

Don't get me started.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

AmbientParadox posted:

On the other hand,

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I thought people just brought an external harddrive to pc bangs with English games?

I dont really know though, I don't play games much.

THE LUMMOX posted:

On the other hand,

I dont get it...

BrainDance fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Apr 23, 2013

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

BrainDance posted:

I dont get it...

You just can't say no to Jeff's Hershey Kiss nips

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

BrainDance posted:

I thought people just brought an external harddrive to pc bangs with English games?

I dont really know though, I don't play games much.

I dont get it...

Is it possible to thinstall newer games on a hard drive like that? I'd like to play Bioshock Infinite and poo poo, but I'm never gonna put that much money into a PC.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Arctic Baldwin posted:

You just can't say no to Jeff's Hershey Kiss nips

Oh well there you go.

Joedevola, I have no idea. Like I said I don't really play games all that much. I swear someone in the thread was doing it a while ago.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

joedevola posted:

Is it possible to thinstall newer games on a hard drive like that? I'd like to play Bioshock Infinite and poo poo, but I'm never gonna put that much money into a PC.

You can just buy it on Steam and instal it on the PCBang computers. at 8mbs a second you lose like 15 minutes at the most. that way all you need is an email account to send your save file. It's what I did for Skyrim.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar
Yeah I played Portal 2 that way. Was sort of surprised they just let you install software on their machines, that seems insanely insecure.

Brimmy
Jan 13, 2006

"Never gonna give it up, Adrian."

joedevola posted:

Yeah I played Portal 2 that way. Was sort of surprised they just let you install software on their machines, that seems insanely insecure.

Korea.

Come on man, you've lived here before. You should know this already.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

I just had this idea, might sound kinda stupid but bear with me here and keep an open mind.

I gotta do some dishes, and I really dont want to. But what if I just soap them up, let them soak then take them all too my bathroom and just hose them off?

Then I'd just have to wipe them down after and that's it! It's practically the same as a dishwasher just bigger right?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Speaking of functional derelicts...

Tirius
Aug 16, 2007

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.

THE LUMMOX posted:

Im not sure if it's your first time in Korea but if it is I'd suggest not playing games and instead work on building a social life.

Thanks man, you're right, gently caress trying to find an activity I can do with my little brother while I'm overseas! It's my second time in Korea, rest assured that I'm going to go outside and talk to people now and then.

To everyone else, thanks for the advice. I'm still trying to decide, but your recommendations are helping me out a lot.

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Alright so for :rolldice: Nerdinomicon :rolldice:
The days would be Sunday, time TBD.

DM:
Maxsmart

His Whimsical Subjects:
Gildiss
DontAskKant
Onion Knight
Arctic Baldwin
Toussaint Louverture
KirbyKhan (Time Dependant)

As for the game of choice we are kicking around the ideas for 4th, Pathfinder, and 13th Age.

We can use Skype, the LLJK Vent server, or whatever.

I will invite the above into a kakao room to hammer out the finer details.

Wizards.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

I bought a desktop from GMarket when I realized I was staying for a 2nd year. 1.1m won for a gaming PC, played everything great. And I got win7 English version installed too

Sold it to a friend when I left.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I might be in for D&D. We were thinking like biweekly, right? Weekly would be tough.

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

Give me a good 24 hours on that kakao room. I'm without a phone right now. My S2 stopped picking up a network signal, so I took it in and they told me that the main board had been crushed. When I argued about it, they told me I could get it repaired for 159k - orrrrr - I could get a free S3 and have my monthly bill reduced significantly, I just have to wait a day for the new phone. :psyduck:

DontAskKant
Aug 13, 2011

Onion Knight posted:

Give me a good 24 hours on that kakao room. I'm without a phone right now. My S2 stopped picking up a network signal, so I took it in and they told me that the main board had been crushed. When I argued about it, they told me I could get it repaired for 159k - orrrrr - I could get a free S3 and have my monthly bill reduced significantly, I just have to wait a day for the new phone. :psyduck:

Wait what how! I want this.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

BrainDance posted:

I just had this idea, might sound kinda stupid but bear with me here and keep an open mind.

I gotta do some dishes, and I really dont want to. But what if I just soap them up, let them soak then take them all too my bathroom and just hose them off?

Then I'd just have to wipe them down after and that's it! It's practically the same as a dishwasher just bigger right?

Are you also 500 pounds and getting really high?

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

God I wish.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004

Tirius posted:

Thanks man, you're right, gently caress trying to find an activity I can do with my little brother while I'm overseas! It's my second time in Korea, rest assured that I'm going to go outside and talk to people now and then.

To everyone else, thanks for the advice. I'm still trying to decide, but your recommendations are helping me out a lot.

I said "I'm not sure if it's your first time in Korea but if it is...." Being as it's not, what I said doesn't really matter.

Another option is poaching a used gaming PC on waygook or craigslist seoul. Even if there is nothing showing up you can always post a wanted ad. Also you could try bringing over the most expensive parts in your luggage (unboxed or whatever), and then getting it all put into a case once you're here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maxsmart
May 24, 2008

Mexichat
Outside is a scary place

• Locked thread