Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

Need I remind you!? The foolish receive no mercy...

Velveteen posted:

One thing my friend is always telling me about sorcerer is teleport jaunt will rubber band you back and kill you when you lag. Priests don't have many charge up skills or any teleport skills so theres really nothing to worry about when you lag.

Oh, I hadn't even considered jaunt, good point. I have a sorc on the other server and I do teleport like crazy, I'll have to see if it gives me that issue here when I unlock it. I hope not, I like setting everything on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Coming from GW2, going stationary during every attack is really odd. I'm having trouble finding a good rhythm of attacking and dodging, since it seems to have a decent delay when canceling out of an attack to roll or something. I also have to get used to attack speeds and such, since I end up cancelling some attacks by trying to chain them too early. Once I get the hang of it, it seems like it will be a lot of fun. The graphics are gorgeous, at the very least, much better than I am used to from an MMO.

rawr im a tree
Jul 4, 2008
In as Gnixev.

Do you have to re-apply to the guild if you logout/get disconnected? Re-applied anyway just in case.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Is it ok to post the mumble info in this thread? Would be cool to get it more active.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

So I ended up losing interest and quitting around the time warriors got super buffed in preparation for the addition of blocking and other stuff. How's the class balance now? Can warriors tank/most all instances or do DPS depending on spec and gear? What kind of stuff is in the cash shop?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Noone else tried their hand at the contest? Just me, then? :ohdear:

Tensei
Nov 24, 2010

All the 8reaths. All of them.

Tagichatn posted:

So I ended up losing interest and quitting around the time warriors got super buffed in preparation for the addition of blocking and other stuff. How's the class balance now? Can warriors tank/most all instances or do DPS depending on spec and gear? What kind of stuff is in the cash shop?

Yes, warriors can tank pretty much any instance in the game. As a DPS, They have some good endurance debuffs which make up for their otherwise mediocre DPS output by buffing everyone elses, but unfortunately some of the endgame bosses are immune. The cash shop sells cosmetics, mounts, XP/Gold/Reputation boosts, stuff like race change vouchers, and some consumables like Alkahests/Spellbinds. Almost all of it can also be bought through the trade broker with ingame gold.

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!

Mordaedil posted:

Noone else tried their hand at the contest? Just me, then? :ohdear:
It would probably help if you described "the contest".

I have no idea what events are going on unless people mention them here because I never check the enmasse page nor pay attention to the launcher.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

WanderingKid posted:

Is it ok to post the mumble info in this thread? Would be cool to get it more active.

Yeah, that's fine.

Mumble info is kane.cx port 64700.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

tearshed posted:

It would probably help if you described "the contest".

I have no idea what events are going on unless people mention them here because I never check the enmasse page nor pay attention to the launcher.

Huh, I guess I'm the only one reading it while it checks for patches. My friends didn't see it either until I pointed it out to them.

Master the Dark Arts contest

Which is basically an art contest, where you may use any manner of artistic insight to represent the "dark side" of your character. The reward is basically a unique wepaon-skin, which range from awful to kinda funny.

You are given pretty free reign in terms of using screenshots, drawing or photoshop editing to represent the darkside of your character.

It doesn't make mention of how many can win or anything, so I assume they'll pick people who put in some effort.

To participate, it must be your own character and it must be showing his/her dark side.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

More people completely missing the point!

Roid666
Jul 18, 2010
Haahha, more, we need more delicious pubby tears!

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well
Ended up getting to 35 on my Lancer. I'll try to knock out a level a day this week but the majority of my playtime is during the weekend.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
In as Spergin, started playing yesterday and got my Lancer to level 10. I'm really digging the combat and had a good time. The Global channel is almost as entertaining as the game. I do want to try a Berzerker, what's the alt policy for the guild?

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Unlimited amount of level 60 characters, at most one sub-60 besides your main (unless you ask me real nice)

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Cool, I love the guild horse.

godface zillah
Nov 18, 2012

I am leveling around lumbertown and all the tears are pretty funny. Sent in my application as I would like to have some impotent rage directed at me.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
My friend was going on about this game and the way he described it made it sound pretty cool with the way the mechanics and all that work.

I couldn't bring myself to touch this game though, I feel I need to delete my browser history and microwave my hard-drive just looking at it, you can almost see the greasy neckbeards floating behind each elin like oily ectoplasmic blimps / puppet masters. It is so creepy on so many loving levels I cringe every time I see a screenshot, it looks like the kind of game that one guy would make, the guy who you just know runs erotic DnD games in dark basements, Tera to me is like some kind of horrifying window into that guys personal fantasies.

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
Thanks no one's ever heard that before. Deep insight, man.

HandsomeBen
Nov 23, 2006

There is no greater calling than to serve your fellow men. There is no greater contribution than to help the weak. There is no greater satisfaction than to have done it well

Motherfucker posted:

My friend was going on about this game and the way he described it made it sound pretty cool with the way the mechanics and all that work.

I couldn't bring myself to touch this game though, I feel I need to delete my browser history and microwave my hard-drive just looking at it, you can almost see the greasy neckbeards floating behind each elin like oily ectoplasmic blimps / puppet masters. It is so creepy on so many loving levels I cringe every time I see a screenshot, it looks like the kind of game that one guy would make, the guy who you just know runs erotic DnD games in dark basements, Tera to me is like some kind of horrifying window into that guys personal fantasies.
I just pretend they don't exist, been working well since back in beta.

HandsomeBen fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 22, 2013

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Motherfucker posted:

You seem kind of excessively scared of creepy neckbeards. They're unsettling, but not like pants-making GBS threads terrifying or anything. Ignoring Elin and turning off global chat has worked fine for me.

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

At this point I honestly don't care. Playing Elin is funny simply because of how absurd and/or adorable a little girl swinging a 3 meter sword looks. Putting any sort of sexual interest into them is wrong and just because some people do it doesn't mean most people do.

Anyway, shut up about Elin talk. This game is not politically correct so if you can't deal with that don't play it. (At least TERA is gender equal, unlike most other MMOs where women get skimpy clothing and men don't)

cathead
Jan 21, 2004

Motherfucker posted:

Cool, not sure why you thought anyone in this thread gives a poo poo about how creepy you think it is. There's a reason it says "Don't talk about Elins" in the OP.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot
Oi, which one of you faggots are in that twitch channel?

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
How did these terrible people find this thread lately?

BambooEarpick
Sep 3, 2008
Hey, so, new player here. Is there any really good primer that tells me what I should be doing? Or even a class specific guide? I just sorta run around quest to quest (on beginner island, still) but is there anything I really need to keep in mind? In WoW (at least, when I was playing) it was save money for your loving mount. I'm not hardcore at all but I don't want to play sub-optimally. Should I be buying weapons every chance I get or should I just hold out for quest reward weapons? I'm like a level 9 Slayer.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Buhbuhj posted:

How did these terrible people find this thread lately?

Probably always lurking, explaining why I got that avatar a few months back.

tearshed
Mar 26, 2010

Leave it to me!

BambooEarpick posted:

Hey, so, new player here. Is there any really good primer that tells me what I should be doing? Or even a class specific guide? I just sorta run around quest to quest (on beginner island, still) but is there anything I really need to keep in mind? In WoW (at least, when I was playing) it was save money for your loving mount. I'm not hardcore at all but I don't want to play sub-optimally. Should I be buying weapons every chance I get or should I just hold out for quest reward weapons? I'm like a level 9 Slayer.
The gold you get for the first 12 levels (beginner island) is like 1-2g tops, which doesn't buy anything. Word of warning: avoid the crafting quests when you get to Velika (the big city), they cost too much for too little reward. And you get a free blue craft weapon from a quest at 25 anyway. When you get to lumbertown (next area after newbie island) you want to start putting almost everything on the broker, it beats vendoring it. You can buy blue gear from the broker around level 22 as well, it comes from the first dungeon. Most pieces are like 5-10g, which you should have by that level. Really helps with leveling. Stick with quest rewards otherwise.

That's my experience anyway. I think there is one or two crafting you might want to level up while leveling your character but I forget which ones they are. And when it comes to the broker, the price you pay includes the broker fee, but when you list an item, it doesn't include the fee. That's called the asking price. You might be wondering why your items haven't been selling, that's the reason.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong.

Pooptimus Prime
Jun 12, 2005

Need I remind you!? The foolish receive no mercy...

tearshed posted:

The gold you get for the first 12 levels (beginner island) is like 1-2g tops, which doesn't buy anything. Word of warning: avoid the crafting quests when you get to Velika (the big city), they cost too much for too little reward. And you get a free blue craft weapon from a quest at 25 anyway. When you get to lumbertown (next area after newbie island) you want to start putting almost everything on the broker, it beats vendoring it. You can buy blue gear from the broker around level 22 as well, it comes from the first dungeon. Most pieces are like 5-10g, which you should have by that level. Really helps with leveling. Stick with quest rewards otherwise.

That's my experience anyway. I think there is one or two crafting you might want to level up while leveling your character but I forget which ones they are. And when it comes to the broker, the price you pay includes the broker fee, but when you list an item, it doesn't include the fee. That's called the asking price. You might be wondering why your items haven't been selling, that's the reason.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong.

My only additions:

-Sell Auric Panaceas in the broker. They drop from enemies and are also sometimes quest rewards. Depending on server/current prices, you can net anything from 10g-35g per AP.
-Toss as much random crap as you can afford to list in the broker. Even lowbie gears you can't imagine people buying, because people with rich alts/EMP sellers will buy them to super-gear their lowbie alts (even if a gear sucks, it can be enchantment fodder). Even level 12 gears sell, even if its only 50s each, that adds up.
-tearshed is right, you don't really need to bother specifically buying gear until 22 (and then roughly every 5 levels after that you can upgrade to the next tier) - before that you'll get good enough stuff from quests, drops, and your newbie box (it gives blue weapons better than anything else at their level every so often).
-Once you get to Sinestral Manor, you can run it a few times and broker any unneeded blue/gold drops that you get. When you hit Cultist's Refuge, this becomes even more profitable.
-You get a free mount once you get to Velika, so don't stress over that.
-You can do guild quests and, if your guild isn't in need of them, sell the Catharnach Awards on broker. The price fluctuates a lot, but 15-20g each seems common.
-The TERA official forums have subforums for each class with 1-2 very thorough guides stickied, so go check those out if you want in-depth info about your class.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
So I have a few questions, just to be brought up to speed after reading the OP.

1. Is the server still the same to join from the OP?
2. Is a mystic really that bad leveling? I like the idea of just being a super helpful and useful buffbot.

If all else fails I think I'll go sorcerer. I would like melee DPS but I'm not too fond of dual-wielding or giant rear end swords.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Ularg posted:

So I have a few questions, just to be brought up to speed after reading the OP.

1. Is the server still the same to join from the OP?
2. Is a mystic really that bad leveling? I like the idea of just being a super helpful and useful buffbot.

If all else fails I think I'll go sorcerer. I would like melee DPS but I'm not too fond of dual-wielding or giant rear end swords.

Server is Mount Tyrannas.

I'm level 30 on my Mystic and it basically goes like this:

Solo:

Kite until the end of time, periodically casting a damage over time spell called Volley of Curses. This slowly drains their health and you can use it whilst moving so its safe. Before you get Volley of Curses you use Sharon Bolt (stationary cast projectile) and Metamorphic Smite/Blast (close range aoe). This also manages to be miles slower than any other class I played to level 11. Shrugs.

Occasionally you have to Teleport to maintain distance. Other than that you keep Thrall of Life out for self heal and maybe stop once in a while to squeeze out a Sharon Bolt which speeds things up a little bit (but not much). Thats pretty much it.

BAMs will one shot you if you are slow or late. Do NOT solo BAMs. Its not worth your time or effort.

At really low level you can play like an idiot because monsters don't do a whole lot of damage and you can just take it. Doing this in dungeons or against BAMs will get you owned however.

Group play:

The class is completely different. You can do all of the above + use a tonne of ally support skills and your positioning relative to your allies is mega important. You have to learn how to aim your multi target heals like Titanic Favor and time when to put down your Titanic Wraths. You drop motes strategically for "grab one and go" heals/mana regen.

People love you for your clutch heals, debuff removal and well placed motes. At last, validation.

Solo is ok in the beginning and gets progressively more boring as you level up. Its just the same thing except it takes longer and you get punished harder for being slow/late. I'm assured mid 50s is :smithicide:

Get a leveling buddy and you will love this class however.

WanderingKid fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 23, 2013

sonikburn
Jun 12, 2001

CAN I OFFER YOU A NICE EGG IN THIS TRYING TIME?
I'm in as sonikburn, playing a Priest.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Thanks for bringing me up to speed. In as Ularg the Mystic. I'll have to wait for a time to let the download finish though, the game freezes and lags something awful (heh) while it is trying to stream the download. Is it normal for it to have two different looking launchers just to open the game?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
I figure I might as well submit this here now, that the contest is almost over anyway.

I would say I'm not looking for critique, but I am more curious if you think I hit the mark with the contest or missed a mile wide.

I know it isn't that great: Contest entry

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
How are Berserkers for solo play? I'm just dicking around right now, testing out the classes and such. So far Zerker, Lancer, and Warrior have all been fun. I know I want to play a melee class, and ideally I'm looking for something that I can PvE and PvP with if I feel like doing that later.

Lancer / Zerker also appeal to me because the heavy armor looks so cool, while medium armor is kind of meh. But Lancer seems to kill things slow as balls in PvE and Zerker, from what I've gathered, is basically the shittiest PvP class in the game. I haven't tried Slayer yet, but again I heard that they kind of get dominated in PvP.

Edit: Also, kind of confused on the PvE / PvP server split. Like what if I want to do both? Can I transfer across servers or something?

Honey Badger fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 23, 2013

Eigo
Mar 21, 2010
^^^^: Zerkers are pretty great solo, and PvE is done in the PvP servers; it's not ignored or something.

Mordaedil posted:

I figure I might as well submit this here now, that the contest is almost over anyway.

I would say I'm not looking for critique, but I am more curious if you think I hit the mark with the contest or missed a mile wide.

I know it isn't that great: Contest entry

The question is how big of a anime cliche fan they are for the last line, because if they're not it's completely lost on them. Zerker also isn't terrible for PVP; their shouts give them a lot of utility to push into groups, and they can one hit most people with a back crit given the gear. 1v1 they're pretty awful, but you probably won't do that much; and evasive strike can actually end up almost one hitting people too.

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
PvP servers should really be called Gank Servers since thats the only difference. On PvP servers you can get ganked or gank anyone at any time by flagging yourself as an outlaw beyond the safe zones (i.e. towns and cities). I think you can do battlegrounds and stuff on a PvE server.

The main reason to roll on a PvP server like Mount Tyrannas is the comedy. And it really is hilarious to see twinked level 25s hit Lumbertown and complain that they can't kill under levels or that they are getting griefed when the Vanarch turns PvP off in a zone where there is zero reason to PvP, because its not a contest. The tears. The IRONING. Its beautiful. Sniffle.

Velveteen
Sep 17, 2011

I'm the type of pony everypony should know

Honey Badger posted:

How are Berserkers for solo play? I'm just dicking around right now, testing out the classes and such. So far Zerker, Lancer, and Warrior have all been fun. I know I want to play a melee class, and ideally I'm looking for something that I can PvE and PvP with if I feel like doing that later.

Lancer / Zerker also appeal to me because the heavy armor looks so cool, while medium armor is kind of meh. But Lancer seems to kill things slow as balls in PvE and Zerker, from what I've gathered, is basically the shittiest PvP class in the game. I haven't tried Slayer yet, but again I heard that they kind of get dominated in PvP.

Edit: Also, kind of confused on the PvE / PvP server split. Like what if I want to do both? Can I transfer across servers or something?

Lancers do quite a bit of damage now with the damage buff. Its not as fast as other classes but it can kill at relatively fast now. You can do both PvE and PvP stuff on either server there is BG there is GvG. The only difference is on PvE servers you can't start a GvG unless the other guild accepts. Also on PvP servers you are able to turn on outlaw at anytime letting you gank anyone you wish at the cost of making you targetable by anyone.

If you don't like open world PvP you can avoid it by just changing the channels. Most people don't gank outside of channel 1. However if you really really don't like it still, you can roll on a PvE server and avoid everything. But the majority of the goons are on Mount Tyrannas, which is a PvP server. If you want to play with us you'll have to join the PvP server.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I've heard fun things about this game. Would you guys suggest it? I mean it's F2P now so I might as well I guess...

Any class suggestions? I feel like if the combat's such a cool system I should be melee to take full advantage of it, but who knows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BitterCharisma
Feb 28, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

I've heard fun things about this game. Would you guys suggest it? I mean it's F2P now so I might as well I guess...

Any class suggestions? I feel like if the combat's such a cool system I should be melee to take full advantage of it, but who knows?

I've only played as the Slayer and the Sorcerer, and I would honestly recommend both. Playing as the Slayer is kind of like playing Monster Hunter to me, while the sorcerer is a bit more of a standard "run and shoot" class. The Magma Mortar is a lot of fun to spam.

I hear that Lancer is pretty easy as well. If you want to go that route.

BitterCharisma fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Apr 24, 2013

• Locked thread