Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wonton
Jul 5, 2012

Tom Smykowski posted:

So there was an 7.0 earthquake in Sichuan today in Ya'an, a city south of the provincial capital of Chengdu. It was felt throughout Sichuan, but it appears the damaged areas are only those around the epicenter. The worst hit counties are reporting 50% of the buildings collapsed. The deathtoll is at 76 with 1000+ injured.

Not to ignore the horribleness of all that, but it will be interesting to see how the new leaders react. After the last big Sichuan earthquake in 08 (which was along the same fault line as today's), the leaders came down and rolled their sleeves up for photoshoots. I'd image Down-to-earth Xi is going to do the same thing.

Xi is too busy dealing with the "Taxi driver talked to President Xi" news scandal. Traditionally, domestic natural disasters and accidents are always the Prime Minister's job. So right now Li Keqiang's arrived in Sichuan, visiting the injured in the hospitals. The local government announced: There's no report of students' casualty in this earthquake. Sure, it's Saturday! Can they tell us how many school buildings collapsed instead? Many companies update weibo, saying they will donate money, water, clothes, etc.; on the other hand, people are reposting the photos of Guo Meimei, the misstress of China Red Cross, reminding people not to donate to this corrupted organization.

On the bright site, people in Chengdu don't give a poo poo about the earthquake, they just moved their mahjong tables downstairs and continue enjoying the rest of the weekend. All is well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Wonton posted:

Many companies update weibo, saying they will donate money, water, clothes, etc.; on the other hand, people are reposting the photos of Guo Meimei, the misstress of China Red Cross, reminding people not to donate to this corrupted organization.

Didn't she turn out to have a very limited connection to the Red Cross? Shame people are still spreading this rumor.

Yeah, girlfriend of a guy who was (but is no longer) on the board of directors of a company "connected to" the Red Cross. Not an employee.

Chinese donation channels can be shady but it's too bad people are still repeating that she's an employee somehow.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Wonton posted:

On the bright site, people in Chengdu don't give a poo poo about the earthquake, they just moved their mahjong tables downstairs and continue enjoying the rest of the weekend. All is well.

Haha, this is indeed Chengdu.txt

Warcabbit
Apr 26, 2008

Wedge Regret
So, how's the infrastructure holding up there?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Chengdu or Ya'an?

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Warcabbit posted:

So, how's the infrastructure holding up there?

Ya'an was something like 50% destroyed last I saw. Chengdu is fine. We actually just had another small quake which is worrisome for Ya an.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I think the 50% number is not for Ya'an city itself. The epicenter was in the mountains north of Ya'an. You know how it is, outside of cities the construction quality goes down pretty fast to simple brick and cement with no steel reinforcement. I think they 50% buildings destroyed figure is for villages north of Ya'an.

I usually don't read the English comments on Chinasmack but this one was too good not to post:

quote:

Consider this:

The official death toll was 80,000.

HAARP shut off 8 hours before the quake struck.

Earthquake was of magnitude 8.0.

It happened on May 12th (5/12 = 5 + 1 + 2 = 8).

The earthquake occurred exactly 88 days before the Beijing Olympics.

The Beijing Olympics took place on 8 August 2008 at 8:08 PM.

Chinese colonel says latest bird flu is U.S. biological weapon

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Apr 21, 2013

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Ya, the 50% number is for Lushan and maybe Longmen, the rural areas outside of Ya'an.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Because I know everyone cares, I'm bringing some more stories from Hong Kong politics into the thread. First, there's the case of the striking dockworkers at Li Ka Shing's Hutchison International Terminals. They've been striking for three weeks, one of the dockworker contracting companies, Global Stevedoring Services, has already announced that they're going under. And yet management remains intragnizant. They're not budging and HIT has insisted they won't give them their 17-24% raise. Here's an article about the first public response from Hutchison:

SCMP posted:

Tensions over the dockers' strike rose further yesterday as one of Li Ka-shing's top lieutenants publicly slammed unionist lawmaker Lee Cheuk-yan.

Canning Fok Kin-ning claimed Lee was not genuinely interested in helping the workers and harboured ulterior motives.

"Lee Cheuk-yan resorts to every means - he doesn't want an outcome at all, hoping that as the strike drags on, he can negotiate with Mr Li so as to boost his own publicity," Fok, Hutchison Whampoa's group managing director, said to reporters on a trip to Beijing. "This [strike] has been using the style of the Cultural Revolution [where people are vilified on banners and posters]," he added.

Fok said he did not believe the dockers' working conditions were that bad and they were "willing to work long hours".

His remarks were the first public ones on the strike from Hutchison Whampoa - the parent company of port operator Hongkong International Terminals, whose contractors employ the 450 striking dockers.

Lee hit back, deriding Fok as the "King of all workers", a swipe at the executive's high pay package, and said Fok could not understand the plight of grass-roots workers.

As for Fok's reference to Cultural Revolution tactics, Lee said: "We just want to express how discontented we feel ... [the head shots] are just comical creativity used all the time in modern society to express the emotions of people," Lee said.

As the strike entered its 24th day yesterday, HIT placed full-page ads in most newspapers in the city, other than Apply Daily, attacking the union's demands as "unachievable". The ad alleged Lee's role in the industrial action was purely to advance personal interests.

In the Chinese-language version of the statement, HIT wrote: "Is someone unwilling to make a deal? Is there someone who wants to achieve his own purpose and is ignoring the interests of the workers?"

But those sentences did not appear in the English-language version of the statement, headed "Breakthrough sought after three weeks of labour dispute".

The ads said "the average monthly salary for dockers has already reached HK$20,000" and the 20 per cent pay rise they have been demanding would "create an impact across other industries and cause irreparable damage to Hong Kong".

Union of Hong Kong Dockers strike organiser Stanley Ho Wai-hong said: "The figures provided by HIT are misleading, as dockers would have to work many 24-hour shifts to earn HK$20,000 a month. But that is still way less than the amount earned by dockers hired directly."

The union, backed by Lee's Confederation of Trade Unions is demanding pay rises of 17 to 24 per cent and better conditions.

Based on advertisement rates for the papers listed online, HIT may have spent HK$1 million or more on yesterday's ads.

Meanwhile, a docker is seeking damages against the port operator and its subcontractor Global Stevedoring Service in District Court, saying he injured his right arm in an electric shock two years ago while working in the control room of a crane at Container Terminal Four.

This labor dispute, as I see it, is really important to the future of Hong Kong. I used to be a college libertarian. I was all about the free market and believed that less government intervention equaled more prosperity for everyone. A rising tide lifts all boats, that stuff. Hong Kong shattered that belief for me. It's really obvious, after coming here, that the market doesn't work. I've heard the argument that it's a cultural thing. That Hong Kong bosses and companies have this culture that it's better to hire 5 workers at low pay and force them to work overtime rather than hire one worker with five (or four) salaries who's skilled enough to get the job done. Quantity over quality. In any case, only the rich are getting richer, and the poor, like these dockworkers, are literally getting poorer. As we discussed earlier, their real wages have fallen in the last fifteen years, with high-end estimates being around 40%, due to nominal pay cuts and inflation.

If they can win this strike and show the oligarchs of this city that workers won't stand for this bullshit anymore, I think it might be a real victory. But then again, the bar benders won their strike in 2007 and poo poo hasn't changed at all. This one is a little more symbolic since it goes after the biggest oligarch of all: Li Ka-shing. This morning, they moved the picket line to his house. Although journalists have said he was actually out playing golf at the time.

How about some racism?

SCMP posted:

A lawmaker has criticised police and prosecutors after a teenager detained for a year on suspicion of robbery was freed and told by a judge he had no case to answer.

Nineteen-year-old Tahir Khan, who moved to Hong Kong in 2011, accuses the police of racial discrimination for depriving him of his freedom.

The construction worker was charged in March last year with assault with intent to rob in relation to a robbery that took place in the previous month. Khan, who speaks neither Chinese nor English, had a lawyer in court but was denied bail because of the seriousness of the offence.

During the robbery a man was beaten around the head. A woman who was with him when he was attacked later picked out Khan in an identity parade.

Police were granted an adjournment to have more time to collect evidence. But last month High Court judge Mrs Justice Verina Bokhary ruled Khan had "no case to answer".

Andrew Wan Siu-kin, a Kwai Tsing district councillor who is helping Khan, said the judge freed the teenager after the prosecution failed to provide DNA evidence, fingerprints or video footage. Nor were the statements of the woman witness deemed reliable, according to Khan.

Now set free, he considers himself a victim of wrongful detention and prosecution, believing he was discriminated because of his ethnicity.

"I feel very humiliated. This has made my parents very depressed and they have not been able to have a normal social life."

Barrister Ronny Tong Ka-wah, a Civic Party lawmaker, said the police and prosecution should not have deprived the defendant of his freedom if the evidence was not strong enough.

Wan said he would help Khan to file a complaint to the Independent Police Complaints Council this week.

The police said they handle each case fairly and impartially, and they carry out comprehensive investigations, seeking legal advice when necessary.

This is kind of a weird case, for a number of reasons. I don't really understand how this 19-year-old kid who speaks neither Chinese nor English could get a visa to come work in Hong Kong (edit: just realized he's probably on a dependent visa from his parents). It's weird that they don't actually mention what his ethnicity is in the article, though from his name I assume Pakistani. It's weird that the police can arrest and hold people without charge. I really hope they don't get away with holding him just because some woman picked out a brown guy from a lineup.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Go go Civic Party! More HK news. A man in Hong Kong has been arrested for writing "XijingPing go die"

translated from bad canto. http://badcanto.wordpress.com/2013/04/19/hong-kong-man-arrested-for-writing-xi-jinping-go-to-hell/

quote:

The writing “Xi Jinping Go to Hell” has appeared 3 times in Kam Fung Court, Ma On Shan. The police dispatched a Serious Crime Unit to investigate the case and arrested a man immediately. Yesterday night, after the writing appeared for the third time. Sha Tin district’s Serious Crime Unit entered Kam Kwai House, monitoring the scene and waiting for the suspect overnight. At 8 am in the morning, the unit arrested a 46 year-old resident of the building, Mr Lam, who was seen holding a pen and suspected of committing the crime again. From April 7th to 17th, “Xi Jinping Go to Hell” appeared 3 times on the walls of the stairwell between 4th and 5th and 8th and 9th floors.

Well the dude is vandalizing public property but normally you just get fined instead of having the serious crime unit tackling the case.

But have no fear, the internet strikes again and people start making all sorts of funny gifs and images.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

caberham posted:

Go go Civic Party! More HK news. A man in Hong Kong has been arrested for writing "XijingPing go die"

translated from bad canto. http://badcanto.wordpress.com/2013/04/19/hong-kong-man-arrested-for-writing-xi-jinping-go-to-hell/

Well the dude is vandalizing public property but normally you just get fined instead of having the serious crime unit tackling the case.

But have no fear, the internet strikes again and people start making all sorts of funny gifs and images.

Didn't China ban Death Note because it was subversive causing people to carry their own black books and write the names of their bosses in them?

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Modus Operandi posted:

I don't think people who want to discuss Tibet/Xinjiang are all troublemakers either but it does bring out the dickheads and culture warriors en masse. It's like horn of Gondor for idiots.

I see your point, but I don't tend to care because it's an issue that needs to be brought up whenever possible so that Han Chinese can get over their ignorance about the subject. What their government is doing is wrong and in my classes I always make sure that the students at least understand my perspective and the logic behind it.

EDIT: I see from subsequent posts that you're talking about those whose only knowledge of China is the Great Wall and the oppression of Tibet. I have to say that we agree in these cases.

NaanViolence fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Apr 22, 2013

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

On a related point is there a "living" minority culture in China? I don't mean a village or two in Sichuan where the ladies still have funny head-dresses and are sold for a milking cow, but a productive sense of cultural identity expressed through contemporary forms of art and music which has its origin in a minority group?

I mean, I don't think there is, but this could be me being all dull and monolingual.

gently caress whoever invented the "minority theme park" by the way.

Had a really interesting chat with my FLD mini-boss about language and identity the other day - he was telling me that he was raising his kid to speak Henanhua as well as Putonghua because he wanted him to have a stronger sense of identity (and an identity which wasn't just based on schoolbooks about Lei Feng). This kind of thing was unusual amongst middle class parents though.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

GuestBob posted:

On a related point is there a "living" minority culture in China? I don't mean a village or two in Sichuan where the ladies still have funny head-dresses and are sold for a milking cow, but a productive sense of cultural identity expressed through contemporary forms of art and music which has its origin in a minority group?

It's called Cantonese or being a Honger :downsrim: Over half of the country hates us because we are not "patriotic" enough :china:

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

I don't know dude, I always thought you guys were just 将来人.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

WarpedNaba posted:

Didn't China ban Death Note because it was subversive causing people to carry their own black books and write the names of their bosses in them?

The live action movies are banned, at least on the mainland.

Skeleton Jelly
Jul 1, 2011

Kids in the street drinking wine, on the sidewalk.
Saving the plans that we made, 'till its night time.
Give me your glass, its your last, you're too wasted.
Or get me one too, 'cause I'm due any tasting.

GuestBob posted:

I don't know dude, I always thought you guys were just 将来人.

I'd appreciate if people sticked to the poo poo mentioned in the OP, not everyone here speaks Chinese and it's annoying as gently caress when people just thrown in Chinese phrases in the middle of an English language discussion about Chinese affairs with no explanation.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It says "I thought you guys were just future people."

There are two China megathreads, people forget which one they're posting in sometimes. I know D&D is like super serious business but people make honest mistakes.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

GuestBob posted:

I mean, I don't think there is, but this could be me being all dull and monolingual.

gently caress whoever invented the "minority theme park" by the way.

Had a really interesting chat with my FLD mini-boss about language and identity the other day - he was telling me that he was raising his kid to speak Henanhua as well as Putonghua because he wanted him to have a stronger sense of identity (and an identity which wasn't just based on schoolbooks about Lei Feng). This kind of thing was unusual amongst middle class parents though.
The whole classification system is hosed up and has a weird history, so discussing any living-ness in the various cultures is troublesome. But I'd say larger ones like Uighur for sure express cultural identity through music and art. At least in a sense that is less defined by the State.

The smaller or lesser known groups are in many cases not actual one group, but a bunch smushed together. Like Yi for example is a cluster gently caress of smaller groups of varying relation. So lack of any expression of Yi-ness is only partly because of the State's "development" plans and also because who knows what Yi-ness is?

Edit: Classification anecdote - When the new PRC was first attempting classification of all the groups of China, the first surveys left a blank spot for people to fill in with their group, so anything was game. This led to a mess of names with groups ranging from thousands to one. There was one guy who was his own ethnic/nationality group. Wanna meet that guy.

Tom Smykowski fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 22, 2013

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Skeleton Jelly posted:

I'd appreciate if people sticked to the poo poo mentioned in the OP, not everyone here speaks Chinese and it's annoying as gently caress when people just thrown in Chinese phrases in the middle of an English language discussion about Chinese affairs with no explanation.

The sooner you learn Chinese, the sooner you will be prepared for the new world order.

Tom Smykowski posted:

But I'd say larger ones like Uighur for sure express cultural identity through music and art. At least in a sense that is less defined by the State.

I suppose the Mongolians have their cool horse games aswell. It just seems that one never sees minorities on the TV or in any kind of public media unless they are being patronised in some way. In twenty years, China's population is going to be as devoid of diversity as its cities are of pleasant architecture (with the exception of Qingdao - which has pleasing architecture but isn't particularly diverse).

GuestBob fucked around with this message at 15:39 on Apr 22, 2013

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

GuestBob posted:

The sooner you learn Chinese, the sooner you will be prepared for the new world order.

I suppose the Mongolians have their cool horse games aswell. It just seems that one never sees minorities on the TV or in any kind of public media unless they are being patronised in some way. In twenty years, China's population is going to be as devoid of diversity as its cities are of pleasant architecture (with the exception of Qingdao - which has pleasing architecture but isn't particularly diverse).

I'm not sure if accusing the Chinese media of not portraying minorities in a realistic or non patronising fashion is altogether fair when much more developed societies are still having trouble with the very same thing. As far as having a "living" culture, that meaning can be taking in all kind of ways. No doubt minority culture is being subsumed by the majority in China, but even still the minority culture has some sort of agency in determining how that change is taking place. It seems that culture is and should never be static and I think it's a failing game trying to keep a portion of the population to a certain pre-defined culture when it's naturally moving in another direction.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

The thing with the whole "56 nationalities who all have their unique cultural characteristics and heritage and clothing" is that minority culture isn't being subsumed by Chinese culture, it's being dictated and in some cases created by the State.

The museums built in "minority autonomous regions" are filled with crap that supports the State and it's own narrative. The ancient towns featuring "unique cultural heritage of So-n-So Nationality" are, if not built by the State, approved by the State and reinforce the post-reform narrative. The TV spots Guest Bob is talking about are all scripted and controlled in the same way. Whatever agency non-majority ethnic groups may have is drowned out by all of this.

Pre-Reform dealing with nationalities, while still weird, had a lot less Han chauvinism about it so it was less patronizing than now. Or at least patronizing from a different direction.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Tom Smykowski posted:

The thing with the whole "56 nationalities who all have their unique cultural characteristics and heritage and clothing" is that minority culture isn't being subsumed by Chinese culture, it's being dictated and in some cases created by the State.

The museums built in "minority autonomous regions" are filled with crap that supports the State and it's own narrative. The ancient towns featuring "unique cultural heritage of So-n-So Nationality" are, if not built by the State, approved by the State and reinforce the post-reform narrative. The TV spots Guest Bob is talking about are all scripted and controlled in the same way. Whatever agency non-majority ethnic groups may have is drowned out by all of this.

Pre-Reform dealing with nationalities, while still weird, had a lot less Han chauvinism about it so it was less patronizing than now. Or at least patronizing from a different direction.

I think a lot of the CCP's policies toward minorities was straight out adopted out of late 20s/30s Soviet policy (ie Stalinism), basically ethnic minorities would be given autonomy with very certain bounds carefully designed by the state. Although the PRC on a administrative level has been far more centralized, there are autonomous regions but not the whole hierarchy of SSRs, RSFSR ARs, RSFSR-AOs.

Anyway, the central idea is about placating minorities while trying to stamp out any real forms of nationalism. Granted, this really didn't work for the USSR but they also minorities were a far larger portion of the population. (Although there is a bit of a similar Ukrainian/Russian and Mandarin/Cantonese thing going on, hell Ukrainian is probably more understandable to an average Russian.)

In many ways, I think the PRC is what would have happened if Gorbachev had achieved his dream (well at least the 500 day shock therapy plan at least).

Ardennes fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 22, 2013

Powerlurker
Oct 21, 2010

GuestBob posted:

There seems to be a minor revival of interest in Mongolian culture. I know there are some musicians (like Hanggai) out there making contemporary music in Mongolian and incorporating the traditional instruments.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Bloodnose posted:

How about some racism?

This is kind of a weird case, for a number of reasons. I don't really understand how this 19-year-old kid who speaks neither Chinese nor English could get a visa to come work in Hong Kong (edit: just realized he's probably on a dependent visa from his parents). It's weird that they don't actually mention what his ethnicity is in the article, though from his name I assume Pakistani. It's weird that the police can arrest and hold people without charge. I really hope they don't get away with holding him just because some woman picked out a brown guy from a lineup.

I am a big fan of the phrase "identity parade." Speaking of minorities, are there immigrant cultural communities in Hong Kong (or on the mainland, if there are enough immigrants)? Like, is there a Little Karachi or something?

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
What do they teach in Hong Kong about the modern history of the PRC? I was talking to a girl from there who's studying International Relations. I mentioned Kissinger, and she didn't know who he was. I said that he met with Zhou Enlai in the '70s to negotiate normalization between China and the US and she asked me who Zhou Enlai was.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
^ Sounds like she's just a bad student...

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Badger of Basra posted:

I am a big fan of the phrase "identity parade." Speaking of minorities, are there immigrant cultural communities in Hong Kong (or on the mainland, if there are enough immigrants)? Like, is there a Little Karachi or something?
Hong Kong definitely has these communities, although there isn't the space to have like a whole neighborhood that's noticeably of one culture or another like we might be used to in the US. The communities tend to center on focal points like mosques or trading hubs. The only place I've seen that's like a true immigrant enclave in China is the ever-so-racistly named 'chocolate town' of African immigrants in Guangzhou.

tractor fanatic posted:

What do they teach in Hong Kong about the modern history of the PRC? I was talking to a girl from there who's studying International Relations. I mentioned Kissinger, and she didn't know who he was. I said that he met with Zhou Enlai in the '70s to negotiate normalization between China and the US and she asked me who Zhou Enlai was.

They focus much much more on ancient dynastic history than PRC history, that's for sure. At the same time, she should know who Zhou Enlai was and hitension is probably right that she's just a terrible student. To give her the benefit of the doubt, however, they do teach in Cantonese here (or English at a small proportion of schools), so she may have been familiar with 'Jau Onloi' but never connected it to the Mandarin name.

NaanViolence
Mar 1, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Skeleton Jelly posted:

When it's just three characters it's fine, three seconds will get you a passable translation out of Google Translate.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Longanimitas posted:

When it's just three characters it's fine, three seconds will get you a passable translation out of Google Translate.

I'd say that's what people should avoid more; at least with a long passage you'll get the gist of it, but the meaning of a few individual characters will sometimes get lost in translation. The Japanese threads especially are terrible for this :v:. Oftentimes people are using the other language specifically because it conveys a meaning that is harder to achieve with English.

So yeah it'd be nice if people were a little considerate about it. I took Chinese for 4 years and still can't make heads or tails of half of it.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Honestly don't think using foreign phrases is that bad in small amounts. It gives more cultural context and adds a sense of localism to threads. You'd lose a lot of this if it's simply people who have not lived in the country talking about something.

Besides, this is a thread about a foreign country anyway.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Despite my being a Chinese MASTER who can school EVERYONE in not one but TWO Chinese languages, I think it's really important to at least gloss the Chinese terms we're using, especially if we're leaving them in characters and not even romanizing. But I've been heard on this subject before so...

Hong Kong activists are telling people not to donate to Sichuan quake relief efforts.

SCMP posted:

Activists and internet users in Hong Kong have launched campaigns against donating to quake-hit Sichuan.

They want to block a proposed donation of HK$100 million of public funds, arguing it will only feed corrupt mainland officials. Chief Executive Leung Chun-ying announced the planned donation yesterday.

A special Legislative Council meeting tomorrow will be asked to approve it.

The proposal prompted debate on whether such a giveaway was is the best way to help.

Responding to such doubts, Chief Secretary Carrie Lam Cheng Yuet-ngor said the donations made by the Disaster Relief Fund Advisory Committee "will be subject to very stringent requirements and supervision".

"The public do not have to worry about it," Lam said.

But that failed to convince political parties and activists.

Such reluctance comes in sharp contrast to the generosity that followed the Sichuan earthquake five years ago, when the government gave HK$10 billion, and non-government groups raised HK$15 billion from the public.

Yesterday, the Macau government announced it was giving Sichuan HK$100 million. Unicef, The Salvation Army, The Red Cross, other local co-operatives and agencies had raised or donated at least HK$12.4 million in emergency relief by 6pm yesterday.

The Democratic Party and the Civic Party said they would decide today whether to support the government's proposed donation. Democratic Party chairwoman Emily Lau Wai-hing said she received many objections about the funding plan.

"I am deeply sorry and feel sympathy for the disaster … but the mainland lacks a system rather than money. I do not wish to see the money fall into the pockets of corrupt officials," Lau said.

The Hong Kong City-State Autonomy Movement (HKAM) has launched a letter-writing campaign to urge lawmakers not to approve the funding, while internet users of the popular :supaburn: Golden Forum :supaburn: on the internet set up a campaign called "Don't donate a single penny".

"There is no reason for the government to use taxpayers' money for a donation," HKAM said in a statement. "The Chinese government does not need money as it has a lot of financial reserves."

Hundreds of users left comments on the forum saying they would not give any money to the mainland and dismissed the official government donation.

"HK$100 million could be used in many better ways to help Hong Kong, rather than wasting it on the mainland bureaucracy," one user wrote. Another said: "I doubt that even one dollar in a 100 would really go to helping the victims."

Senior journalists familiar with mainland affairs also reminded Hongkongers to think twice before donating. They said some of the money raised five years ago was wasted on fancy meals and building unused roads. A HK$2 million secondary school was built with donations but torn down after 11 months to make way for luxury flats.

Lawmaker Ip Kwok-him, of the Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong, said the party would support the donation, although he agreed that use of the funds must be strictly monitored.

They're probably right. Giving money to the Chinese government is dumb. Oxfam would likely do more to help.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

You tear down educational facilities to build condos?

Goddamn, Now I know what Xu meant when there was no telling China and the USA apart!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Bloodnose posted:

Hong Kong definitely has these communities, although there isn't the space to have like a whole neighborhood that's noticeably of one culture or another like we might be used to in the US. The communities tend to center on focal points like mosques or trading hubs. The only place I've seen that's like a true immigrant enclave in China is the ever-so-racistly named 'chocolate town' of African immigrants in Guangzhou.
I think you could reasonably call Discovery Bay an immigrant enclave, just probably not what people imagine when they hear the phrase immigrant enclave, heh. Hopping off the ferry there is like walking out of an Asian country and into a master-planned community near any relatively successful, large Western city (with the addition of the Filipino service and domestic community that's also there).

In other news:

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/24/world/asia/japanese-and-chinese-boats-converge-on-contested-islands.html?_r=0

quote:

HONG KONG — Festering tensions between Japan and China flared anew on Tuesday as Beijing and Tokyo sent vessels to monitor a flotilla of boats carrying Japanese nationalists that sailed near islands in the East China Sea that both nations claim as their own.
Asian nations and island disputes is like the Eastern version of American political parties and debt ceilings. Totally self-inflicted, stupid and unnecessary posturing that could have zero positive outcomes and tons of seriously negative ones. I'm never sure who is more stupid in any of the various pissing matches, but in this one it does seem that while the Chinese government's position is the more ridiculous, these fringe groups of Japanese citizens tend to take the cake for maximum levels of idiocy.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Apr 23, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Bloodnose posted:

They're probably right. Giving money to the Chinese government is dumb. Oxfam would likely do more to help.

I think there may be a confusion between foreign currency reserves and domestic treasury. I know China has an rear end-ton of foreign currency reserves, but by their nature they can't be used for something like disaster relief. You can't buy disaster relief stuff in China with USD or GBP, and there are a variety of reasons why you wouldn't want to instantly liquidate those reserves to buy RMB.

That doesn't mean China is poor and needs disaster relief money but I do think there may be a disconnect between their highly visible piles of wealth and disaster relief.

There was something similar to this on Chinasmack a few weeks ago, where some fifty cent guy was complaining about the U.S. donating 10x or 100x more to Haiti than to Sichuan after the respective earthquakes. Thankfully he was drowned out by everyone pointing out that Haiti is dirt-poor and China is not.

ReindeerF posted:

I'm never sure who is more stupid in any of the various pissing matches, but in this one it does seem that while the Chinese government's position is the more ridiculous, these fringe groups of Japanese citizens tend to take the cake for maximum levels of idiocy.

Japan has the additional problem that the average Chinese doesn't understand free civil society, so they don't differentiate between fringe activists and Japan as a whole. You hear a lot of "Japan is doing this" which to be fair you hear from a lot of people who don't understand international politics, but which is a really terrible understanding of the situation. It's kind of like Muslims in repressive societies not understanding that the Westboro crazies are allowed to burn Korans and coming away with the idea "America is burning Korans" which is a really bad misunderstanding.

So I think Japanese activists are causing more harm by far, even if they don't realize it, because their messages are not understood in the proper context in China.

God, reading that post again I just realized that Haiti literally is dirt-poor, after all the erosion. So poor they don't even have dirt. :sigh:

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Apr 23, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, I had that in mind when I wrote it. Japan also has the flipside problem of actually being a free society. I'm sure some fishermen could slip by Chinese authorities and do this, but it seems pretty likely that without some tacit government consent there could never be a Chinese flotilla like that launched, whereas the Japanese government are probably perpetually sitting around in the Picard facepalm pose because what can you do?

EDIT: In other words, WHITEO PIGGA GOHOOOMMMMEE.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I'm starting to wonder why China's still pushing this.

Even the Nationalists should know this is more domestic diversion away from the real enemy, AMERICA internal corruption scandals.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

quote:

A HK$2 million secondary school was built with donations but torn down after 11 months to make way for luxury flats.

Wasn't this debunked earlier in the thread?

This donation thing seems to be a proxy conflict, really. In practice, these international assistance games aren't really about the effectiveness of the aid, but about building relations and scoring diplomacy points.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Apr 23, 2013

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

WarpedNaba posted:

I'm starting to wonder why China's still pushing this.

Even the Nationalists should know this is more domestic diversion away from the real enemy, AMERICA internal corruption scandals.

Was there some new internal corruption scandal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe

Fangz posted:

Wasn't this debunked earlier in the thread?
I don't remember that, but an updated SCMP article says that the school cost $4 mil and after tearing it down, the government gave $2 mil back to Hong Kong. So they're not that bad.