Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online
While I have no experience playing 3D on the PI, assuming it can play standard 720p or 1080p correctly then it should have no issue with HSBS. Just select the correct 3d mode on your TV and voila, 3D. Now if you try playing FSBS, may FSM have mercy on your video card's sauce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burndtjamb
Sep 5, 2006

3D HSBS in 1080p played fine on the Pi (watched Life of Pi and The Hobbit, tested a few other movies and they seemed to play back fine)

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

moron posted:

There's the Hardkernel boards which, whilst not being anywhere close to top end x86 performance, have four cores and some extra RAM to play with, giving you performance in the region of that found in a decent Android smartphone.

No idea if they're any good, though. I've been tempted to grab one to install Ubuntu on, but haven't taken the plunge yet.

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

There is an updated Beaglebone in the works, which I am pretty excited for. Pre-order info here.
Thanks guys, both of those look pretty interesting to me!

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

burndtjamb posted:

3D HSBS in 1080p played fine on the Pi (watched Life of Pi and The Hobbit, tested a few other movies and they seemed to play back fine)

Awesome, thanks. Now I just have to wait for the TV to actually arrive!

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.
I'm considering one of these to run Raspbmc or OpenELEC in my bedroom and had a couple questions.

- Is there a recommended 802.11n adapter that people have used? I realize wifi sucks. I'm not running cable in my apartment.
- Is Adafruit a decent site to order stuff from? I've seen their 5V 1A PSU suggested and they also have a cheap price on VESA mount cases.
- How tough is flipping a unit if it doesn't work for what I need?

WeaselWeaz fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 21, 2013

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

like food and water, my posting has no intrinsic value

WeaselWeaz posted:

I'm considering one of these to run Raspbmc or OpenELEC in my bedroom and had a couple questions.

- Is there a recommended 802.11n adapter that people have used? I realize wifi sucks. I'm not running cable in my apartment.
- Is Adafruit a decent site to order stuff from? I've seen their 5V 1A PSU suggested and they also have a cheap price on VESA mount cases.

Adafruit is a great hobbyist electronics store with fast shipping. Newark would be cheaper, but I got my pi from them and was very happy. Not sure about the other questions.

imranh
Sep 2, 2012
I'm running my Pi as a basic router at the moment.

I've got: bind9, dhcp3-server, openssh-server, and webmin currently installed. I'm still fiddling around with IPtables though.

Managed to get a top transfer speed of 12MB/s from one PC to another over SFTP.

Anybody else doing anything similar?

underlig
Sep 13, 2007

WeaselWeaz posted:

We've used the Netgear WNCE2001.
Powered through your usb-hub (or the power adapter that comes in the box), tiny tp-cable and an existing wifi-network is all you need. Takes ~15 seconds for it to power up and connect to the network when the power comes on. I've never tried it with a pi though, but it should be pretty stable.

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !

Grab Meatcastle posted:

Awesome, thanks. Now I just have to wait for the TV to actually arrive!

Same for me, no problems with high quality movies, everything is fine.

My only problem is that I need to reboot the raspberry after 1day or two to free some memory, but except that it's awesome :)

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

WeaselWeaz posted:

This is a well supported, inexpensive adapter (with Prime shipping): http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811Un-Wireless-Adapter-Wizard/dp/B003MTTJOY/

It's teeny-tiny, fast and is low power enough to plug right into the Pi without a powered hub!

Adafruit is a great hobbyist site; they are somewhat more expensive than other sites, however, Lady Ada (and her staff) give a lot back to the community in terms of open source software and hardware, so I consider the extra cost as a donation so they can give us cool things. :)

Flipping a unit isn't tough at all. You'll get $45~ on eBay. But, if you run into a problem, ask for help here or the official forums before you give up and sell it.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

This is a well supported, inexpensive adapter (with Prime shipping): http://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811Un-Wireless-Adapter-Wizard/dp/B003MTTJOY/

It's teeny-tiny, fast and is low power enough to plug right into the Pi without a powered hub!

Adafruit is a great hobbyist site; they are somewhat more expensive than other sites, however, Lady Ada (and her staff) give a lot back to the community in terms of open source software and hardware, so I consider the extra cost as a donation so they can give us cool things. :)

Flipping a unit isn't tough at all. You'll get $45~ on eBay. But, if you run into a problem, ask for help here or the official forums before you give up and sell it.

Thanks for the info. The main concern is that I will not have a good enough wifi signal to stream from my desktop. It sounds like Amazon Video can also be hit or miss, in which case it may not be worth keeping. Regardless, if I flip it I'll list it in SA-Mart first.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Incase anyone else is interested, the updated Beaglebones just became "available" from Newark. They're $45 a pop and should be much more powerful than the Pi (although who knows if a community will spring up to do an XBMC release or whatever). Ship date looks to be May 13th, so hopefully I won't be in for too wild of a ride to get mine.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
Maybe I am missing something, but it doesn't look like you can "Register your interest" yet if you live in the USA.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

WeaselWeaz posted:

Thanks for the info. The main concern is that I will not have a good enough wifi signal to stream from my desktop. It sounds like Amazon Video can also be hit or miss, in which case it may not be worth keeping. Regardless, if I flip it I'll list it in SA-Mart first.
Amazon video is currently not working on Raspberry Pis (and maybe XBMC in general) due to amazon loving with their Flash DRM. It stopped working about a week ago.

I'm really considering giving up on this thing now and just buying a Roku or an Apple TV. I mostly just stream videos nowadays anyway.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

armorer posted:

Maybe I am missing something, but it doesn't look like you can "Register your interest" yet if you live in the USA.
Here's the direct link

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Incase anyone else is interested, the updated Beaglebones just became "available" from Newark. They're $45 a pop and should be much more powerful than the Pi (although who knows if a community will spring up to do an XBMC release or whatever). Ship date looks to be May 13th, so hopefully I won't be in for too wild of a ride to get mine.

drat, and I just spent my monthly budget for Electronics on an Xprotolab and a bunch of other parts from Sparkfun. $45 seems like a great deal and is sure to put pressure on the pcDuino people to lower their price.

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

It seems more physical computing friendly than the pi, too, given it has hardware pwm. Eliminate an arduino from your project and it saves money.

TVarmy fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Apr 22, 2013

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

Yeah, I am mainly interested in using it as a platform for screwing around with some random hardware controlled through python scripts. I looked at the pcDuino but it just looked a little goofy. So I'm hoping this platform will really catch on.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Amazon video is currently not working on Raspberry Pis (and maybe XBMC in general) due to amazon loving with their Flash DRM. It stopped working about a week ago.

I'm really considering giving up on this thing now and just buying a Roku or an Apple TV. I mostly just stream videos nowadays anyway.

Saw that today. Sucks, but at the end of the day I care more about having XBMC than playing Amazon. Although if X-Box 360s drop to $99 it really would make me consider a second 360 instead.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

WeaselWeaz posted:

If you want wireless don't get a RPI get an android stick/xmbc device. RPI XBMC is a little tricky to setup imagine having to add a ton of work to get a wireless/adapter added just for XBMC is too much work. I'm using a RPI for XBMC and wish I'd just gotten a real device. The RPI B costs around 50 by the time you're done.

Why are you thinking about flipping a $50 device, but probably not too hard.

PIOS is an official XBMC target with WIFI costs around $110

http://www.amazon.com/Companion-802-11n-Ethernet-Official-Sponsor/dp/B0088IGPM8

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

This one even has a micro HDMI connector, so no more paying extra (and giving up a bunch of GPIO pins) for video output.

OnceIWasAnOstrich
Jul 22, 2006

Cockmaster posted:

This one even has a micro HDMI connector, so no more paying extra (and giving up a bunch of GPIO pins) for video output.

I saw this thing come out and immediately impulse purchased it. Possibly partly because of my weakness for beagles.

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !
Yeah there is definitly better solution but it's still a good solution to buy a raspberry pi, for 40$ you have a complete solution.
Evene if its broke you can replace it easily. :)

syphon
Jan 1, 2001
This may be old news, but I just got an e-mail from Newark element14 (where I bought my RPi) about the new RPi camera board. Any thoughts about this thing?

http://downloads.element14.com/raspberry-pi-camera/

TVarmy
Sep 11, 2011

My interest in that ends at price for what is realistically do with it.

You can get a $10 webcam that works well enough.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

TVarmy posted:

My interest in that ends at price for what is realistically do with it.

You can get a $10 webcam that works well enough.

Actually, it doesn't. Running a USB webcam at a high framerate takes up a good deal of CPU time and bus bandwidth. The camera add-on hooks into the CSI interface, which means it works at the silicon level, since the SOC (like most hardware designed for use in a smartphone) has an Image Signal Processor to capture and decode image data, it'll be really loving fast. And it won't eat up 50% of your CPU time. Or slow down DMA access. It'll also require much less power than a USB webcam while simultaneously giving you a better image quality (potentially RAW, compared to 50~60% compressed JPEGs from a :10bux: webcam).

This is going to be a huge boost for running OpenCV at any sort of reasonable performance.

On top of all that, last I heard it wasn't going to be over $20...

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

Actually, it doesn't. Running a USB webcam at a high framerate takes up a good deal of CPU time and bus bandwidth. The camera add-on hooks into the CSI interface, which means it works at the silicon level, since the SOC (like most hardware designed for use in a smartphone) has an Image Signal Processor to capture and decode image data, it'll be really loving fast. And it won't eat up 50% of your CPU time. Or slow down DMA access. It'll also require much less power than a USB webcam while simultaneously giving you a better image quality (potentially RAW, compared to 50~60% compressed JPEGs from a :10bux: webcam).

This is going to be a huge boost for running OpenCV at any sort of reasonable performance.

On top of all that, last I heard it wasn't going to be over $20...

What will be the real applications of this camera ? Except in-house camera for security.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Luminaz posted:

What will be the real applications of this camera ? Except in-house camera for security.

The guy you quoted mentioned OpenCV, which is probably what a lot of people have in mind.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

I've got my openelec pi hooked up through an AV reciever now and for some reason it seems to not be outputting over HDMI unless I reboot the device every time I switch the input on the reciever. Other devices hooked up are switching fine and I've tried swapping the inputs around to no effect.

I could just connect the pi to the TV and rely on ARC for the sound through the reciever but that seems to stop it offloading DTS decoding and so HD movies end up stuttering along. Any ideas?

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !

DNova posted:

The guy you quoted mentioned OpenCV, which is probably what a lot of people have in mind.

Oh ok, missed it, sorry.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Grab Meatcastle posted:

I've got my openelec pi hooked up through an AV reciever now and for some reason it seems to not be outputting over HDMI unless I reboot the device every time I switch the input on the reciever. Other devices hooked up are switching fine and I've tried swapping the inputs around to no effect.

I could just connect the pi to the TV and rely on ARC for the sound through the reciever but that seems to stop it offloading DTS decoding and so HD movies end up stuttering along. Any ideas?

What's happening is the Pi isn't detecting an HDMI display attached on startup, so it's defaulting to composite.

What you need to do is edit /boot/config.txt and add the following line:

code:
hdmi_force_hotplug=1
Note, that may already be in there, just commented out. If so, just remove the hash (#) from the front instead of adding it again. What this command does is force the Pi to output on the HDMI port at all times, instead of switching to the active port at boot.

Now, if you still wanted to hook the Pi up to the TV, you could try the following two lines which will force it to passthrough DTS/AC3, even if the TV reports it as not supported:

code:
hdmi_force_edid_audio=1
hdmi_drive=2
For more tweaks, head on over to the wiki: http://elinux.org/RPiconfig#Video_mode_options

Luminaz posted:

Even if you were to use it as a security camera, it's still not a bad price for what you get:

$35 - Raspberry Pi
$20 - Camera Module
$10 - 802.11n Dongle
$10 - Case + SD Card
Total: $75

That's for a full featured, wireless IP camera mind you. Add another $15 for servos and you can give it full range of motion! Plus you've got GPIO access, so you could easily integrate it into a home automation or security system.

I can think of one good use already, just for the basic $75 setup; let's say you've got a motorized driveway gate and a vehicle pulls up. OpenCV would detect the motion and automatically send a picture to your smartphone; you could have a microphone and speaker run to an intercom panel and talk to the visitor. Let's say they need to drop off a package; use a GPIO pin to trigger your automatic gate opener, have it hold the gate open until the camera detects the vehicle leaving, where it will automatically shut it.

Yeah, I can think of a bunch of automation systems that could really benefit from turning a Pi into an inexpensive IP camera.

Luminaz
Mar 9, 2013

oops !

HATE TROLL TIM posted:

Even if you were to use it as a security camera, it's still not a bad price for what you get:

$35 - Raspberry Pi
$20 - Camera Module
$10 - 802.11n Dongle
$10 - Case + SD Card
Total: $75

That's for a full featured, wireless IP camera mind you. Add another $15 for servos and you can give it full range of motion! Plus you've got GPIO access, so you could easily integrate it into a home automation or security system.

I can think of one good use already, just for the basic $75 setup; let's say you've got a motorized driveway gate and a vehicle pulls up. OpenCV would detect the motion and automatically send a picture to your smartphone; you could have a microphone and speaker run to an intercom panel and talk to the visitor. Let's say they need to drop off a package; use a GPIO pin to trigger your automatic gate opener, have it hold the gate open until the camera detects the vehicle leaving, where it will automatically shut it.

Yeah, I can think of a bunch of automation systems that could really benefit from turning a Pi into an inexpensive IP camera.

Yeah true, I will think about it to put another security cam into my house, but now I need to found a special casemod for this !! ;)
Thanks!

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

I got shitfaced with my buddy last night, finally got around to turning his RP into a media server (the most basic of the stuff we've been talking about doing with it), and woke up in his guest room this morning to find a new e-mail notice on my phone.

Newark will be sending me a RP shortly and I have no clue what the hell to do with it, I don't even remember how to program C or use linux very well. This should be fun!

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Are there any $3 chinese ebay cases or something out there? I can't find anything less than $10 shipped to Canada and that's just too much

Negerlepper
Dec 4, 2012

by Lowtax
I am looking to create a robot using the Raspberry Pi and I want it to collect sound from underground waterpipes and since it is underground I cannot use any GPS or anything, do any of you guys have any idea how I can work around that?

I suppose that I could just calculate it afterwards, but if the pipes leak, then there might be variations of the speed the flow has. So the best thing would be if there is some way of collecting the position even 1-dimensionally in meters from some referance point. Or do anyone have any suggestion?

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
You mean the Pi will be in the pipe? Do you know the diametre of the pipe? Because you could measure the movement of wheels on opposite sides of the robot, bracing against the walls.

langurmonkey
Oct 29, 2011

Getting healthy by posting on the Internet
If you assume that the robot will not slip, then you could do it just by working out how many wheel revolutions you have gone down the pipe. Failing that you could have some kind of semi rigid tether with some marker that the robot could count, for example a plastic rod with bumps on that could "click" a sensor attached to the robot (a bit like how surveyors wheels work),

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

ante posted:

Are there any $3 chinese ebay cases or something out there? I can't find anything less than $10 shipped to Canada and that's just too much
I'm buying rectangular hinged soap cases from Walmart for $1 and using a dremel to put in the appropriate holes.... They snap shut and come in a variety of off-putting colors.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

ante posted:

I really like the case SparkFun sells: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11623

I've been meaning to mention it since I got mine in last week. Not only is it one of the cheapest cases on the market, it's basically the only one I've found that provided open access to the 26-Pin GPIO header! By using one of Adafruit's passthrough headers, I was able to plug various boards in and have them fit on top of the case for easy access!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

ante posted:

The cardboard box it ships in makes a fine "case". Just cut/tear holes for what you need (hdmi) and leave the flaps open for power and Ethernet.